Star Wars - The Clone Wars

Joe Brausam

The Force Unleashed by Mark Griskey will be a better Star Wars score than this. Unfortunately, it won't be released. I'm not even sure about ripping the game files, since it isn't coming to PC... Hmm...

I have the complete music of Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess FX free. Just because its not of PC doesn't mean the music can't be appreciated. I really wish more game music would get official releases, and considering this is Star Wars, its surprising GL wouldn't mind making a couple of extra bucks.

4 minute clip from the movie:

click

Not much-any of Williams' thematic material :P

Has a direct-to-video quality about it, but looks fun. I have no expectations so I can't be disappointed.

The Force Unleashed by Mark Griskey will be a better Star Wars score than this. Unfortunately, it won't be released. I'm not even sure about ripping the game files, since it isn't coming to PC... Hmm...

I have the complete music of Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess FX free. Just because its not of PC doesn't mean the music can't be appreciated. I really wish more game music would get official releases, and considering this is Star Wars, its surprising GL wouldn't mind making a couple of extra bucks.

Yeah, I guess a rip of the music will show up, but it'll be incomplete and compressed. They always are. As for the soundtrack being released, I dunno... The usage of Williams's themes is an issue. Here's a post by the game's music editor, Jesse Harlin:

"Hi, everyone.

Another new introduction. My name is Jesse Harlin and I'm the Music Supervisor/Composer for LucasArts. Just wanted to say "hello" and say that I'm really happy to hear that people are enjoying the music so far. Mark Griskey has written a fantastic score that really bridges the time between Ep 3 and Ep 4.

It's been asked a couple of times on other threads, so I thought I'd clarify: yes, the music on the website is from TFU. The track that plays throughout the site right now is called "The Force Unleashed" and is the game's main theme. We're working on getting some more music up there on the site for everyone, so keep an ear out for that soon.

Feel free to ask me any questions you want about the music and I'll do my best to answer everything that I can.

Glad to hear that you like the KOTOR music. Hopefully you'll be glad to hear that Mark Griskey - the composer for KOTOR II - has written a great score to TFU. The final game will use a combination of both Mark's original music and the familiar John Williams' scores from the films.

And if I ever get word that through strength in numbers we can all band together and change the necessary copyright agreements to allow for CD releases, I'll let everyone here know. Trust me, as the composer for Republic Commando, I want to see things released on CD just as much as you do. ; )

Mark has developed his own set of original themes for the game, so you can definitely expect to hear new original music for Raxus Prime, Felucia, and our main characters like Juno, PROXY, General Kota, and of couse, the Apprentice himself.

More music will be available on the website for sure. I can't wait to share with you Mark's score. Just as the game is a transition from Episode 3 to Episode 4, Mark did a brilliant job of transitioning the music from the feel of the Prequels to the feel of the Original Trilogy."

Mouthwatering.

Sounds like what Episode III should have been - conceptually. And I'm one of the biggest fans of Revenge of the Sith.

The clip was a bit impressive although the dialog was typical Star Wars prequel stuff. They try to come up with snazzy in-character quotes like "I love you...I know", but fail to come up with anything decent.

*Although I am particulary fond of Obi-Wan's "Hello there" in rots*

Yeah, I guess a rip of the music will show up, but it'll be incomplete and compressed. They always are. As for the soundtrack being released, I dunno... The usage of Williams's themes is an issue. Here's a post by the game's music editor, Jesse Harlin:

That was not an issue with Shadows of the Empire, and doesnt seem to be an issue with Clone Wars...

Just lets hope....

Glad to hear that you like the KOTOR music. Hopefully you'll be glad to hear that Mark Griskey - the composer for KOTOR II - has written a great score to TFU. The final game will use a combination of both Mark's original music and the familiar John Williams' scores from the films.

Does that imply that he will be arranging themes, or that they are going to use music direct that John Williams composed? I hope it's the latter, that way we can hopefully get some more unreleased Ep3 music.

~Andy

its not even a 20th Century Fox release, blasphamy.

Fox is having a bit of bad luck this summer with their films not performing well, so passing on The Clone Wars might have been a wise decision.

Fox is having a bit of bad luck this summer with their films not performing well, so passing on The Clone Wars might have been a wise decision.

you mean that now his other movies will get some revenue or that TCW is going to tank?

Because its not going to break records, but its going to be profitable. They should have kept it.

I'm listening to some of the tracks right now. They sound pretty good, I'm pretty sure I'll get this CD sometime.

Though I am a bit worried about the synths in "Escape from the Monastery."

And yes, that is swing music.

A lot of it sounds really generic, but there are some standouts. "Lando's Palace" in "Admiral Yularen"? Who would have thought?

A lot of it sounds really generic, but there are some standouts. "Lando's Palace" in "Admiral Yularen"? Who would have thought?

Glad I wasn't hearing things!

I love what hes done with the Main Theme in the First Track :blink:

Not too impressed with the Guitar Bass and Drums in the 'Obi-Wan To The Rescue' Track :S

I do like the 'Jabba's Palace' Track, but does it sound like Jabba Music? ummmm :S

Begining Of 'Landing On Teth' Is very Hans Zimmer Pirates of the Caribbean :S

I like 'The Shield', Very Battle Of Yavin

'Battle Of Teth' Reminds me of Spiderman Music

Overall, am impressed with the Main Theme of it :cool: YAY! STAR WARS!

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=film_r...w_star_wars_the

Found this review. I have to say, I'm really looking forward to this, both film and music (the music for the 4 minute clip that was shown at Comic-Con, which was awesome by the way, sounds great).

Bring on the Clone Wars! Hopefully this is what we wanted to see in Attack of the Clones.

Jamesyboy

BTW the main title is like that because there is not title crawl.

The movie starts with a 'WWII news footage-like ' montage.

There you have it the WAR! connection...

Silvestri and Debney?

That would be not bad, if the music resembled Star Wars more than the casual quote...

hey i got The Full Clone Wars Soundtrack in at work yesturday and listened to it when the shop closed, its very ethnic and there are a couple of references to little motifs used in Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, but not as many of the Main Star Wars Themes are used, many new themes are inside the score.

Overall - better than expected, but as u'd guess not as good as any of the Williams' Scores (no Brainer!)

I'm rather, no, very dissapointed by this. Appart that being a movie and it wont feature the Title crawl...

A generic modern action score that does not belong to the star wars musical palette.

Literally no thematic connection with Williams music.

What about of the volume it is Mediaventures-loud mixxing.

Missed opportunities:

Wanna synth? Why not emulate the ominous synth music from Jabba's palace from ROTJ? A quote of the actual Jabba's theme would not hurt.

The force theme when Jedi do something? Williams made one very cool version for the opening of ROTS. Couldnt kiner have worked from it?

I dont know, but i feel that this movie just needed clever and cool arrangements of williams material. Specially i would have prefered hearing what we got.

And if licensed music was an issue, McNeely and the likes did pretty well without it.

I still dont know how Lucas could have greenlighted this score with a musical genre so distict than Williams. I just can't believe Star Wars videogames have better scores than a Star Wars film.

Thanks George:

onering1.jpg

I'm rather, no, very dissapointed by this. Appart that being a movie and it wont feature the Title crawl...

A generic modern action score that does not belong to the star wars musical palette.

Literally no thematic connection with Williams music.

What about of the volume it is Mediaventures-loud mixxing.

Missed opportunities:

Wanna synth? Why not emulate the ominous synth music from Jabba's palace from ROTJ? A quote of the actual Jabba's theme would not hurt.

The force theme when Jedi do something? Williams made one very cool version for the opening of ROTS. Couldnt kiner have worked from it?

I dont know, but i feel that this movie just needed clever and cool arrangements of williams material. Specially i would have prefered hearing what we got.

And if licensed music was an issue, McNeely and the likes did pretty well without it.

I still dont know how Lucas could have greenlighted this score with a musical genre so distict than Williams. I just can't believe Star Wars videogames have better scores than a Star Wars film.

Thanks George:

Well I think it will absolutely fit the style and the imiges on screen.. and I can imagine it to be, well, a little fun.

I never expected a Williams style soundtrack.. or a heavy use of his materials:

well before having seen the film it may sound unfair but: I think such a movie doesn't eserve a Williams Type score... I am not exited about the "Clone Wars", but I am somehow looking forward

and I think from what I have heard the lack of the original Title Crwal is replaced by something that fits much better to that feature...

and it is not a bad score..really. To hear my opinion:

I REALLY prefer this one to what Doyle has done to Potter after HP 3.

It doesnt sound like Star Wars atall (Obi-Wan to the Rescue!!!!), but it's still so much better then most of the commercial/action/ Hollywoodscores of the recent years...

and it's hm let me say about 10000 degrees above Remote Control/MediaVentures

I'm not saying its bad music, in fact some parts remember me of Elfman's Hulk, which i like.

The opening will fit great for the TV series, but this one being a feature film, i expected a little more work in making it look like it.

I didnt mind the other cartoon scores, but because it was not as intrusive as this one is.

Obi wan seems to be attached to electric guitars....

The trailers with Williams music looked like real SW trailers, i dont think the style is different from the movies. Possibly the pace will be faster, but you dont need to add electronics for that.

Its not even Arnold-like. Every cue is beefed up with synth and electronics.

I think i dont have to watch the movie to see that i dont like its score.

I probably will like the movie, but i will not enjoy it entirely just like when i see a RC film.

I'm not saying its bad music, in fact some parts remember me of Elfman's Hulk, which i like.

I think i dont have to watch the movie to see that i dont like its score.

I probably will like the movie, but i will not enjoy it entirely just like when i see a RC film.

Hm well its really not bad music.. you shouldnt judge it by Star Wars standards. I gave this score a chance and I am really enjoying it right now..., this could have been sooo much worse.

If they wanted a John Williams like sound.. they should hire John Williams. He is an other guy he really shouldn't try to make it sound like Williams.. I am really a great enemy of trying to sound like someone else

he took some williams motives and played arround with his own creativity.. and it's good filmmusic I think

Ok dont emulate williams.

Just use a symphonic sound...

Or use kiner's style to reorchestrate Williams music.

Hm well its really not bad music.. you shouldnt judge it by Star Wars standards. I gave this score a chance and I am really enjoying it right now..., this could have been sooo much worse.

I can barely think what could have been worse.

Ok dont emulate williams.

Just use a symphonic sound...

Or use kiner's style to reorchestrate Williams music.

I can barely think what could have been worse.

Ok our tastes are not the same :P BUT..

have you listened to the entire score yet?

Having listened to the score twice there has not been a track that has really grabbed my attention apart from few seconds here and there. Not a bad score, just not a SW score.

And it was Lucas' and Kiner's idea to go to a totally different direction with this score. More ethnic and exotic and synth. For some reason it just does not work for me.

3/5 for this rather generic effort.

I've only listened to the Amazon samples, but I'm not impressed. The redone Star Wars Main Title on the first and last tracks reminds me of the disco version.

No thank you.

It's not half bad. A little bit do eclectic for my tastes, but I'll give it another try. Speaking of changing main theme... I don't see a problem. Wasn't it the point on all prequel OST's when most people pushed skip button anyway? What's wrong with little diversity? I think it's fine, it doesn't really ruin it.

Karol - who doesn't think one should be crucified for trying to do something a bit differently.

Any non-JW Star Wars music is going to be damned one way or the other. If it's too far removed frmo Williams, people will accuse it of being unfaithful; if it sticks too closely to Williams, people will claim it's a rip-off.

All I care about is that the music is good on its own, and while I haven't heard any of it yet, I look forward to seeing the movie this week.

Joel McNeely managed to create a Star Wars score that was similar yet different. Kevin Kiner does not appear to have done that.

Very generic sounding.

VERY generic. And yes, McNeely was excellent with Shadows of the Empire. Most fans consider it the best non-JW Star Wars music. I know it's the only now JW-score I even own and listen to.

That being said, anyone else disappointed that they (yet again) missed the boat on releasing the complete Prequel scores to coincide with a major Star Wars event?

VERY generic. And yes, McNeely was excellent with Shadows of the Empire. Most fans consider it the best non-JW Star Wars music. I know it's the only now JW-score I even own and listen to.

You should definetly expand your collection, there's a ton of great non-JW stuff out there.