Battle of First and Last, Towering Inferno vs Munich

JoeinAR

Which is the better/favorite score  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better/favorite score

• The Towering Inferno
    • Munich

Everyone is doing a poll so I thought I'd play. Mine is a battle of the first ever John Williams film and score to be nominated for Best Picture and Best original score against the last John Williams film to be nominated for Best Picture and Best original score.

So the question is which is the better score. Actually this poll will only determine the favorite I know.

Its not a battle of the two films themselves just the original Academy Award nominated scores.

I thought I'd do something different than Indy for the moment.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's got to be Towering Inferno for me.

The track Trapped Lovers contains some of my all time fav JW music.

I do love the film too, don't know why - but I do :P

If I could I'd vote for 'I'm not familiar with either score'.

yeah I didn't want to do one of those I just figured those familiar would vote the rest wouldn't.

are you familiar with both Miss?

Well otherwise I wouldn't have voted anyway ....although I love An Architects Dream.

I appreciate that

You know,now that I think about it,a lot of the underscore in Williams 70's disaster scores is more unlistenable to than his recent action material .

Towering Inferno is great for the Main titles and a few other cues (Trapped Lovers,Planting the Charges,End titles). I never listened much to the rest of it.

Towering Inferno wins on the merit of the main titles alone.

I agree 100%

I also don't buy all this bullgarbage about "cheesy" 70's music.

There is a wealth of thematic material in TI including 2 of Williams' top love themes.

I think Towering Inferno PWNS Munich...but that's just me.

The Main Titles, you've got JW doing flying at his best, and the rest of the score is no slouch. Yes, it is obvious what time period the music comes from, but it is quality music and is full of hallmarks of JW writing of that period that I love. It is a very good score.

Munich is also good. But Towering Inferno is classic JW and gets the vote for me.

And I would love to hear those Main Titles live someday. ;)

Munich for me, but not by much. I like both a lot. (Although from that particular part of the '70s, my favorite is probably The Eiger Sanction.)

Not exactly deep thoughts there, but shallow's all I got at the moment.

Hmmm, I don't have The Towering Inferno soundtrack. Never seen the movie, either.

I probably should, huh?

P.S. I can't imagine it being better than Munich, but based on the poll results so far who knows?

Towering Inferno wins on the merit of the main titles alone.

I agree 100%

I also don't buy all this bullgarbage about "cheesy" 70's music.

There is a wealth of thematic material in TI including 2 of Williams' top love themes.

that earned Munich a vote, :P

I´m only familiar wit the Towering Inferno main titles and a couple of tracks. On the other way, I really like Munich. It´s two themes are some of my favourites.

Munich is also good. But Towering Inferno is classic JW and gets the vote for me.

Me too, Saxbabe. In fact I am very tempted to go to the upcoming concert in Manchester with the Halle orchestra conducted by the excellent John Wilson, a young conductor who really knows his onions when it comes to film music. One of the pieces will be the music from The Towering Inferno. You can see the rest of the programme by clicking here with your mouse. They're playing Alfred Newman's Airport too!

:P

Me too, Saxbabe. In fact I am very tempted to go to the upcoming concert in Manchester with the Halle orchestra conducted by the excellent John Wilson, a young conductor who really knows his onions when it comes to film music. One of the pieces will be the music from The Towering Inferno. You can see the rest of the programme by clicking here with your mouse. They're playing Alfred Newman's Airport too!

:P

that would be glorious to hear.

I just listened to the main title from both soundtracks and there is no doubt the Towering Inferno kicks munichs a$$

there is nothing in the munich soundtrack that is as alive as the main title to TI or as intense as Trapped Lovers, and Planting the Charges is one of the top 4 or 5 long pieces that John has ever done.

its really sad when the posters at IMDB hold John's score for this film with higher regard than his own dedicated fans do.

I just listened to the main title from both soundtracks and there is no doubt the Towering Inferno kicks munichs a$$

there is nothing in the munich soundtrack that is as alive as the main title to TI or as intense as Trapped Lovers, and Planting the Charges is one of the top 4 or 5 long pieces that John has ever done.

its really sad when the posters at IMDB hold John's score for this film with higher regard than his own dedicated fans do.

OK now compare a prayer for peace with the gentle theme Towering inferno has.

Yeah, if only we could be more like the IMDB posters.

its another of those saccarhin pieces that John has made of late, from his declining years

There are far better drama scores by John Williams.

Pobably you are rigth. The score in Munich is used very little, probablye the less one in Spielberg career along with SPR. But I really like the two themes and its varations

I'd take the two love themes he composed for TI over that cue from Munich.

its another of those saccarhin pieces that John has made of late, from his declining years

yeah how sad for him.