Let's See How Biased The Board Can Be!

indy4

Which is better: Your favorite Zimmer score or your least favorite Williams score?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better: Your favorite Zimmer score or your least favorite Williams score?

• My favorite Zimmer score
    • My least favorite Williams score
    • They're both equal

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riiiiight. Is your least favorite Williams score better than anybody's best music? Perhaps Mannheim Steamroller, Yanni or Hannah Montana? If not, that's either dogma or you really have broad taste.

I'll take just about anything over John Goldfarb, Please Come Home. I'm not a huge Zimmer fan, but I don't understand where the hatred for his work comes from.

Actually, very few people here hate his work; scores such as The Lion King, The Prince of Egypt and others are appreciated by quite a number of members.

It's comparison threads like this which create the appearance of hatred.

Just to be clear, what IS Zimmer's best score? Is there even such a thing?

That's obviously up to the listener, isn't it?

Or do you base all of your opinions from other people's?

Just to be clear, what IS Zimmer's best score? Is there even such a thing?

That's obviously up to the listener, isn't it?

Or do you base all of your opinions from other people's?

Okay, my bad, I should have asked which scores are generally thought to be his best works?

In JW's case, it's Star Wars, E.T., Jaws, Schindler's List, Indiana Jones.

What are some of Hans Zimmer's best works? The Lion King? Backdraft? Pirates of the Caribbean?

Conrack and some more 50-ies score are not really a fun to listen to. These scores are typical for their time, they are not great scores. There are Zimmer scores that I would rather listen to, BUT most of the time because of one or two good tracks. I would prefer Batman Begins (Because of Molossus) or Da Vinci Code (because of Chevaliers de Sangreal).

Well since the only Zimmer score I have in my collection is Hannibal and that's for a track not even composed by Zimmer (Sorry Morlock) I'd have to say I prefer every Williams score, even AOTC.

There also seems to be a bias against any score written before Jaws by Williams, which is also a shame because there's some fun stuff in his early works.

Now if you were to ask me about composers that are actUally good then yes I prefer their good scores more than Williams lesser works.

There also seems to be a bias against any score written before Jaws by Williams, which is also a shame because there's some fun stuff in his early works.

Hey, The Towering Inferno is pretty good.

Also, Jane Eyre.

I don't think Zimmer will ever write something as elaborated as Williams' 60's comedies. I don't know why anyone should be biased to think that way.

I'm not a huge Zimmer fan, but I'd easily listen to some of my favorites of his over some of my least favorite Williams. It's nice to see the results reflecting a more open-minded attitude than the very vocal minority around here.

I don't think Zimmer will ever write something as elaborated as Williams' 60's comedies. I don't know why anyone should be biased to think that way.

Doubtlessly, but can one neglect the visceral reaction that successful-albeit-less-elaborated music can convey?

Doubtlessly, but can one neglect the visceral reaction that successful-albeit-less-elaborated music can convey?

That's right. I find myself listening to Zimmer from time to time, and I don't feel guilty for liking it.

This is like asking a classical purist whether or not they like the best of The Beatles vs. the worst of Beethoven.

Of course there'll be bias.

Well, that's quite an extreme comparison in style and period.

Would be there any bias when I say that the worst Pierre Boulez is better than the best Tyler Bates?

That's right. I find myself listening to Zimmer from time to time, and I don't feel guilty for liking it.

You are lucky the Spanish inquisition does not exist now ;)

Option Number One.

I've never really been a Zimmer fan, but I'll admit I'd easily prefer his best to JW's worst (The Lion King comes to mind). That doesn't make me less of a Williams fan.

zimmer is cha cha

to put it another way

John Williams is to the Beatles as zimmer is to 50cents

zimmer is cha cha

to put it another way

John Williams is to the Beatles as zimmer is to 50cents

What does this mean?

Hannibal. The Da Vinci Code. The Lion King. Black Hawk Down. Pirates of the Caribbean: At Wortld's End. Gladiator. Rain Man. Spanglish.

If you don't care for any of them, that's fine...but it's not something so slight that can be laughed away.