Which was your first Williams Album?

ACME

Yeah I recently got that album. That is just the weirdest sequencing.

The sequence makes more sense if you reverse the sides. So side 1 became side 2 for me and vice versa.

Yes I was just about to comment on that. And isn't the CD about 30 minutes shorter than the old LP?

I still want a high quality LP rip of the US version (double vinyl album) of The Empire Strikes Back. Something tells me this version stands for the best listening experience.

Alex

Yeah I recently got that album. That is just the weirdest sequencing.

The sequence makes more sense if you reverse the sides. So side 1 became side 2 for me and vice versa.

Yes I was just about to comment on that. And isn't the CD about 30 minutes shorter than the old LP?

Originally released as a 75-minute double LP with gatefold presentation in the USA, Canada and Japan, in the rest of the world only a 41-minute, 10-track single LP version was released (using same artwork, but losing the gatefolf presentation and a booklet, and with notes and some photographs printed on inner sleeve). Interestingly, tracks were arranged very differently in the single LP version.

First CD release was marketed by Polydor in 1985, comprising the 10 tracks of the abridged international LP. The 75-minute version was not available on CD until the 1993 release of the 4-CD set (Star Wars Anthology) that also included some (at that time) unreleased tracks.

The 75-minute version was not available on CD until the 1993 release of the 4-CD set (Star Wars Anthology) that also included some (at that time) unreleased tracks.

But not with the same sound or track order as the 75-minute LP.

The 75-minute version was not available on CD until the 1993 release of the 4-CD set (Star Wars Anthology) that also included some (at that time) unreleased tracks.

But not with the same sound or track order as the 75-minute LP.

Yes, this is true.

I still want a high quality LP rip of the US version (double vinyl album) of The Empire Strikes Back. Something tells me this version stands for the best listening experience.

Alex

A HQ rip of the full TESB LP has been available to download on the internet for decades...

I taped bits of Star Wars by holding a cassette recorder near the left speaker of the TV, including the entire Battle of Yavin. I realized I liked it so much that I wanted to find the soundtrack, even though my best friend at the time told me it was only background music (she later became a soundtrack nerd herself). My dad found and bought the SW Anthology for me in 1995, and the rest is history.

Alex

A HQ rip of the full TESB LP has been available to download on the internet for decades...

Please, give me a link.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20175

07 - You may embed videos of - or include a link to sites that stream - copyrighted material. However, links to sites where copyrighted material can be illegally downloaded are not allowed. You may link to legal streaming/download sites or to places where people can listen to your own compositions or recordings, for example.

08 - Discussion of music CDs before they are in stores (ie when they "leak" to the internet) is allowed, as is discussion of leaked recording sessions, sheet music, and other bootlegs. HOWEVER:
a) You may not post a link to, or name of, any site where this material can be illegally downloaded.
b) You may not offer on the public forums to send this material to anybody who PMs you.
c) You may not ask on the public forums for somebody to PM you a link to this material.

The first album I owned was Close Encounters. I don't think I picked it up myself; I believe my dad owned it, and I found it one day. It came as something of a surprise that you could actually listen to the music from a movie without actually watching the movie. I was quite taken with the idea, and started collecting almost immediately.

The first Williams album (cassette, really) I secured of my own volition was Superman: The Movie.

I taped bits of Star Wars by holding a cassette recorder near the left speaker of the TV, including the entire Battle of Yavin. I realized I liked it so much that I wanted to find the soundtrack, even though my best friend at the time told me it was only background music (she later became a soundtrack nerd herself). My dad found and bought the SW Anthology for me in 1995, and the rest is history.

Exactly. Except it was CE3K for me and about eight years earlier.

Never was there a more exciting time than when you started and slowly discovered the man's filmography. Though i shamefully have to admit that i stole a lot of this stuff. These compact discs just were too expensive for a 13-year old.

Yes. A bunch of ninety minute tapes I made myself that distributed Disc 4 to their movies that I used before I owned a portable CD player.

I did that too!

Never was there a more exciting time than when you started and slowly discovered the man's filmography.

You're not kidding. It was a magical time to be a kid, seeing those epics in the theater as some of my first movies. It was one of the best periods in decades to start collecting scores in general, too, with the great Goldsmith and Barry scores of the late 70s and early 80s, the dawning of James Horner's career, Basil Poledouris at his peak, and, of course, the Golden Age of Williams. I've always considered myself extremely blessed to have cut my teeth during that particular period in cinematic history.

• 11 months later...

I don't remember. I think it was JURASSIC PARK -- copied onto a cassette from a friend's CD in 1993. A couple of years later, I bought the CD myself (after having worn the cassette out). Around the same time (1995?), I also bought the Filmworks compilation, which was another gateway into Williams' works. So it's either JURASSIC PARK or that.

On 10/31/2011 at 5:59 PM, Thor said:

My answer isn't terribly original either.

First Williams soundtrack I got was -- if memory serves -- a cassette copy of a friend's CD of JURASSIC PARK, ca. 1993. I had already been aware of Williams for a couple of years before that, though, but only as a name.

The first Williams compact disc I got was, again if memory serves, the Filmworks compilation CD (which I no longer have, unfortunately). Or it could have been a CD upgrade of the same JURASSIC PARK.

My first score ever was again a cassette copy of the TWIN PEAKS CD, ca. 1990(?) and the first soundtrack CD I got was THE COMMITMENTS in 1991. Prior to that, I was mostly into other kinds of music, although the seed was sown with lots of electronic music, concept prog albums and those "LSO Plays Classic Rock" thingies.

Obviously like everyone else who grew up in the 80s and 90s my childhood was saturated with Williams music, but the first CD of his music I bought with my own money was The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration at a Barnes & Noble.  There are many performances on there I generally prefer to their original soundtrack versions! Especially "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra."

On Monday, October 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM, fommes said:

56923377_4-cd-autumn-almanac-highlights-new-releases-1991.jpg

My first introduction to both John Williams and Indiana Jones.

Cool that it would be included on a CD like that.

9 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Cool that it would be included on a CD like that.

That's a 1991 compilation from Austria.

R-4410493-1364144258-3403.jpeg.jpg

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I was 7 when I watched the movie in the theater. I had read all the books up to that point and after seeing the adaptation (which I hated back then) I kept humming all the music. My aunt got me the soundtrack a month later for Christmas.

That was the start of my soundtrack collection and my Williams fascination.

2 hours ago, Kühni said:

This one, bought in October 1995:

14293948_500_500.jpg

As posted earlier, I have you beat by 13 months:

26258198435_89d324f2fd_o.jpg

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

That's a 1991 compilation from Austria.

R-4410493-1364144258-3403.jpeg.jpg

Is it actually an Austrian release, or is it just that the CD was pressed in Austria? Sony used to have (or perhaps still do) one of their biggest pressing plants in Austria, as far as I know, and I guess many of their European pressings come from here.