Death of the Compact Disc

indy4

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

People obviously love music that sounds worn out, crackly and hissy after only a few listens. How frickin' weird.

What kind of Vinyls are you listening to? Lol

1 hour ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

LPs sound like shit compared to CDs.

Lol. Just to be clear, I'm not a vinyl enthusiast by any means. I prefer CDs as well. That being said, just because I prefer CDs doesn't mean I have to hate vinyls. I dig them as well. They don't sound bad at all. 

No one is listening to Vinyls for super mega clarity. 

Well, there are thousands of CD titles in the used bins, and hundreds of titles in my collection.

If, they stop making them....

The Dude will abide....

5 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Lol. Just to be clear, I'm not a vinyl enthusiast by any means. I prefer CDs as well. That being said, just because I prefer CDs doesn't mean I have to hate vinyls. I dig them as well. They don't sound bad at all. 

No one is listening to Vinyls for super mega clarity. 

PERHAPS but.....

Some think they sound better.

They do sound DIFFERENT!

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

PERHAPS but.....

Some think they sound better.

They do sound DIFFERENT!

Yeah I mean it just depends on what people mean by "better". It's a subjective term so they could be referring to any number of things.

For me, the few times I've listened to Vinyl it tends to sound a bit warmer and somehow feels a bit more lively. Honestly if I'm playing music out loud while doing things around the house, then Vinyl is a fun thing to put on.

I don't know of anyone that listens to Vinyl for superior sound quality necessarily, but I assume there are those kinds of people. CD certainly has clarity and crispness down.

At the end of the day, I don't care what anyone prefers. Nothing wrong with people liking Vinyl or people liking CDs or liking VHS tapes. Whatever floats your boat. Has no effect on me whatsoever. 

5 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I don't know of anyone that listens to Vinyl for superior sound quality necessarily ...

It's actually a reaction to the iPhone generation (the fast life), where the music carrier has become invisible, unimportant, reducing music to something that only belongs in the background while doing something else. Vinyl slows things down and brings back the whole experience, the ritual, the respect.

Yes it's not fair to say that CDs are dying primarily because of vinyl - CDs are dying primarily because of digital internet distribution (individual sales, subscription streaming, ad-supported streaming). Vinyl sales increasing is just sort of an extra little push out the door. 

Vinyl and CD sales combined are still a tiny sliver of all music sales, which are primarily digital internet distribution. 

It might be more dire than that - why bother releasing anything on a format that won't turn a profit. I don't want to admit it, but it will die soon.

Hipsters brought vinyl back as a sort of fashion accessory and a throwback to an older time, like some counter-culture bullshit. Now you can market vinyl as something special that's not a CD.

What I'm saying is in the future no music will be released on cd, definitely not something like soundtracks. The only cds you'll be able to buy will be those made before the extinction event.

9 hours ago, Chewy said:

When do you predict it'll happen?

Within the next decade. Can totally see film scores being released digital only, with a few limited releases on vinyl and cassette tape.

I hope so - I don't want to see the format go@BryonDavis Most of my purchases have been through Varese, LLL, Intrada, Quartet etc. There's not one moment where I'm not thankful for these labels putting out CD releases of scores.

I thought it was the obvious consensus that digital downloads are killing CDs, they're responsible. Separately, hipsters (who would go onto influence their more casually inclined friends) are behind the renaissance in vinyl. 

22 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I thought it was the obvious consensus that digital downloads are killing CDs, they're responsible. Separately, hipsters (who would go onto influence their more casually inclined friends) are behind the renaissance in vinyl. 

Streaming is killing downloads and CDs.

9 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

What's the difference? It all downloads from the internet.

A download is purchased. A stream is a subscription. There is a difference. The download business is dying too. Nobody talks about that. Streaming is like a lease. You pay monthly to listen to as much music as you want. When somebody says downloads I assume they are talking about paid individual purchases. The decline of the CD has a lot to do with streaming.

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

Yes, semantics. 

Not in breakdowns of business revenue. Streaming is not downloads. Yes, services let you download files to play them without internet service but in the end you do not own those streams.

12 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

It all comes from the internet. That's downloading as far as I'm concerned.

If you are dependent on a satellite orbiting Earth for your music....

You're SOL.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

*as much as the service has licence to and as much as they please to allow you to listen to in your specific region at the moment.

Isn't that what NETFLIX is?

Without DVD or CD we can't really decide for ourselves.

4 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

It all comes from the internet. That's downloading as far as I'm concerned.

But its not but ok. Downloads are dying. Streaming is thriving.  In the breakdowns of the business there is physical, paid downloads then various streaming on demand. Just sharing a fact.

3 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

They want you dependent on having an internet connection to entertain yourself. And if it drops out, as it often does, too bad, "we've got your money".

True. That's why its streaming. If the internet dies I still have my paid downloads and physical media to play.

1 hour ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

It freakin' downloads off the internet and then it's viewable/listenable on my telephone or computer ffs! Whatever trendy buzzword they want to call it, it still loads downward from the internet, sheesh.

It's not a trendy buzzword.  It's how we pay royalties and mechanicals.  Whatever floats your boat dude but if you refer to it as a download as far as I'm concerned you are talking about paid downloads NOT subscription services.  We cool...bye.

• 5 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The only people still buying CDs are mostly on this site.

You're not wrong

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

That's even true for CDs. I guess Paul is getting old. 

You can touch the flat part of a CD all you want.  There's a protective coating over the data.  On a record, the surface IS the data

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

You can touch the flat part of a CD all you want.  There's a protective coating over the data.  On a record, the surface IS the data

Fingerprints on CDs and DVDs can hinder proper playback.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's probably just a John Lennon album.

Or maybe his last album didn't sell all too well and he's got many copies left. 

13 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Fingerprints on CDs and DVDs can hinder proper playback.

Sure, but you can wipe them off