Star Wars: A Musical Journey

Joe Brausam

Article

Major points:

- The Times has learnt that Lucasfilm has authorised Star Wars: A Musical Journey, a retelling of the story that will combine excerpts of the film with live orchestral accompaniment.

- The production, which condenses more than 13 hours of film into 90 minutes, will be more like a classical music concert performed in front of a cinema screen, 27m (90ft) wide.

- The audience at the 17,000-seat O2 Arena in southeast London will watch key scenes from the film as 86 musicians from the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra play extracts from John Williams’s score.

- The composer has reworked the music for the show, which will take place on April 10. Other shows may follow, depending on demand.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's anything like the reworking of the Raiders opening sequence, count me out.

I mean seriously? I am too drunk to really take this all in. George Lucas definitely needs to give Star Wars a rest... and so does John Williams. I'm scared, I'm scared... ;)

Did my new post automatically become an edit of my previous post? That is really something...

edit: WOW!

If it's anything like the reworking of the Raiders opening sequence, count me out.

I mean seriously? I am too drunk to really take this all in. George Lucas definitely needs to give Star Wars a rest... and so does John Williams. I'm scared, I'm scared... :(

Did my new post automatically become an edit of my previous post? That is really something...

edit: WOW!

I love how much more emotive drunk Henry is. ;)

But seriously, George...stop. :|

"I've got a bad feeling about this" - Luke Skywalker

Edit: Henry drunk? Wow...

Seriously though Lucas does need to give up on Star Wars..just release the damn Saga set on Blu-Ray all ready and be done with it.

I'm with you guys. These people are acting like they're rescoring the films.

I'm usually on the anti-Lucas bandwagon, but people are seriously overreacting here. All this is is an interesting experiment.

What's wrong with this? I am I only one who would love to watch this thing?

No. It sounds neat, if unnecessary.

As long as the original works remain available I have no problems with an artist revisiting his work. (The new arrangement of Marion's theme was great, for example.)

this great ,sort of like "The Spielberg-Williams colllaboration"

to bad it's for a concert only,I'd love new themes arrangements on c.d.

edit:

"The six Star Wars films have been edited down to two hours for the show, and Williams has "painstakingly rewritten" the music he wrote for the movies, a statement said."

WOW.I hope they release the music on c.d.

What's wrong with this? I am I only one who would love to watch this thing?

Exactly

And why is people freaked???

In a post KOTCS concert we had for the very 1st time Marion's theme concert version, and i think that went out great.

This could mean that Qui-gon and other minor themes could get their neglected concert versions.

LOTR symphony....

Thanks for bringing that to my memory.

If I recall correctly, nobody complained that Shore went arround the world with his symphony.

But oh, this is Williams and Star Wars. Everything is boring and wrong.

If this were just music, it would be a wonderful thing to go see. But narrators? Stupid. The LOTR symphony was a condensed version of the scores, it was all about the music. Here, it looks like the music is secondary to the sights and sounds of the film.

If this were just music, it would be a wonderful thing to go see. But narrators? Stupid. The LOTR symphony was a condensed version of the scores, it was all about the music. Here, it looks like the music is secondary to the sights and sounds of the film.

Who is saying that the narration will be over the music?

Other williams concerts dont, and neither does the musical journey DVD.

Not quite, since the music was accompanied by a light and visual art show by Alan Lee and John Howe.

Not quite, since the music was accompanied by a light and visual art show by Alan Lee and John Howe.

Quite, I saw it and the music was the main star here. The slideshow accompanied the music, not the other way around. The slideshow by itself was like a dull powerpoint presentation. I'm not talking about the artwork itself, just the presentation. It was only included to help sell the "symphony" to the masses anyway who needed something to look at for two hours.

Who is saying that the narration will be over the music?

Why have it at all? Everyone and their brother knows the story of the Star Wars movies, there's absolutely no need to have narration or intros to the music.

this seems more like a show than a concert though

I know, that's why it will suck.

Quite, I saw it and the music was the main star here. The slideshow accompanied the music, not the other way around. The slideshow by itself was like a dull powerpoint presentation. I'm not talking about the artwork itself, just the presentation. It was only included to help sell the "symphony" to the masses anyway who needed something to look at for two hours.

So this SW show is for film music elitists or it is for the masses?

Its not really Lucas or whoever's fault. It's just what the mass asks for.

Who knows what "painstakingly rewritten" means. It could just be a way of saying that they're using the concert suites instead of the OST versions, and perhaps that Williams has tweaked the transitions a bit. Still, as long as it's an opportunity to hear more SW music performed live... I just hope it's done better than the LOTR symphony.

So this SW show is for film music elitists or it is for the masses?

Its not really Lucas or whoever's fault. It's just what the mass asks for.

The masses love Star Wars music, Luke. My local orchestra does an all Star Wars or a Star Wars-heavy program every couple of years or so and it is always a big hit. People love the music by itself and they respond to it, it is a fact.

It will be just like Angela's Ashes and The Reivers suite

Yep.

Which are absolutely marvelous, both of them.

Unless you just want to hear the music. I'm not a fan of narration over music, its pointless and just gets in the way. If the music is good, it will tell the story on its own.

In the case of those two suites, the narration is like an additional instrument. Burgess Meredith's and Frank McCourt's narrations are a wonderful complement to the music (which takes center stage when it has too), never overpower it and greatly enhance it. This is not the same as simply putting dialogue on a soundtrack album. These suites are meant to be narrated and the music is perfectly adapted to this. These two suites are absolute must-listens and I would over the moon if this Star Wars thing is in a similar vein.

It was probably due to the success of the LOTR symphony that has lead to this. No, I am not thrilled at the prospect of the narration, but let's wait for the concert reviews before we start crapping on it. As a thought exercise, I have ofter considered how a Star Wars symphony would be put together if the idea was to make it sound like a traditional symphony in the style of Mahler or Bruckner. (Those who have heard Kasif's Queen Symphony have an idea of what I mean.)

It's Lucas, so I would be shocked if a recording of this wasn't released. First the audio (with microedits just to drive KM crazy) and then a while later DVD/Blu-Ray of the concert.

As for the LOTR symphony getting released, I heard rumors of it being on the multimedia disc that's coming with the Music of the LOTR book next year.

It's Lucas, so I would be shocked if a recording of this wasn't released. First the audio (with microedits just to drive KM crazy) and then a while later DVD/Blu-Ray of the concert.

This is the corporation that has never released on CD:

- any animated series scores

- Ewoks films (LP only)

- Knights of the Old Republic I & II

- The Force Unleashed

- Dark Forces, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, etc.

- Indiana Jones game soundtracks

Oy! KM, I think Johnny would have to compose something new for that one... :thumbup:

I'm meh about this new SW "event". Personally I would enjoy a two hour condensation of the SW music (like "best of") with NO narrator and NO film. I would go see that. This? Not so sure...

(BTW, is JW conducting it even?)