• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herrmann's North by Northwest

Herrmann's Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Williams' Star Wars

Williams' The Fury

Arnold's Independence Day (OST)

Or alternatively, some people just find ID4 boring for a reason I don't understand...lol

Most people have a handful of composers whose music they can't quite get into, no matter the popularity or the acclaim of the artist in question. For me, I have found precious few scores (though there are some) by David Arnold, James Newton Howard, Bruce Broughton, Michael Giacchino, or Alexandre Desplat that I'm particularly bowled over by, despite the adulation of many of whose opinions I respect.

Take JNH out of that list (was a big fan until the last few years), and I'm pretty much the same. I have at most two or three scores from each in that list.

I've also got Goldsmith to add to that list. Just can't get into his stuff outside perhaps 5 or 6 favourites.

ID4 was an Arnold oddity for me; I don't click with a lot of his material but he got everything right in that score.

Wargames

Don't know a whole lot about Arthure B. Rubinstein, but he composed a delightful score for this movie. The score moves swiftly from humorous to fearful, from panic to hopeful. And of course there's the groovy 80s era pop songs which actually build on the main themes of the score. It's wonderfully orchestrated and recorded too. The performance really glistens. Very enjoyable.

Krull new release

There's that moment in The Widow's Lullaby (Disk 2 Track 3) where the love theme kicks in (at 2.17) .That's got to be one of the most gorgeous music passages Horner ever wrote

The Sound of Music: Wow, I definitely got major goosebumps just now. Absolutely gorgeous, I can't believe it has taken me this long to get this CD.

The Sound of Music: Wow, I definitely got major goosebumps just now. Absolutely gorgeous, I can't believe it has taken me this long to get this CD.

:thumbup: Much beloved by my wife and me. We used "Edelweiss" for our recessional. I'd thought about "Maria" for the processional, but we went with Vivaldi instead.

:thumbup: Much beloved by my wife and me. We used "Edelweiss" for our recessional. I'd thought about "Maria" for the processional, but we went with Vivaldi instead.

Is there a particular version you recommend? The one I have only includes the songs and the main titles. I'd like to get a hold of the other instrumental cues, but I'm unclear as to what version presents the most.

Michael Giacchino - Speed Racer

Doesn't do it for me like a lot of his other scores do; I need to see the movie before listening again.

Danny Elfman - Batman (La La Land)

Haven't listened with headphones or anything, so the first disc's sound quality sounds fine to me. I enjoy listening to the sore in either this presentation or the OST presentation - both are valid. It is a shame though that there's clipping in the main title, and Descent Into Mystery has quiet choir.

John Williams - The Patriot (OST)

A lot of this was slightly boring an unmemorable, but two tracks stood out: Tavington's Trap reminded me of Revenge Of The Sith, and Martin Vs Tavington reminded me of Attack Of The Clones. Or maybe it was the other way around, I forget now.

Basil Poledouris - Robocop (Intrada)

Finally took the shrink wrap off. This is the best presentation of the score by far, but I think I'll make a custom edit that removes some of the source music. It just interrupts the momentum the score has going towards the end.

Don't do it, Jay! :thumbup: The source music gives it character and adds a lot of flavor. I wasn't sure if I would like it mixed in, but I think it's what sets it apart from the Varese edition I was used to hearing.

Michael Giacchino - Speed Racer

Doesn't do it for me like a lot of his other scores do; I need to see the movie before listening again.

Really? I love that score. That was the score that really got me into Giacchino because of the action sequences like "Thunderhead", "The Maltese Ice Cave", and "Grand Ol' Prix".

I think it has to do with the period you get into scores. In 2002-2003 I was finding/discovering single cues from scores which would've had some time to stay around in popular conscience, meaning I found a lot of stuff from the mid to late 90s - hence my golden period.

If someone gets into scores 5 years later then they're more likely to find the most extreme of the Zimmer-ised music interesting because they find those cues when starting out.

Or alternatively, some people just find ID4 boring for a reason I don't understand...lol

I definitely don't think it's boring, but it's not great.

I got into scores about 5 years later, and while I initially loved the most Zimmerised music, I got past that. I don't really think that applies to me, at least.

Really? I love that score. That was the score that really got me into Giacchino because of the action sequences like "Thunderhead", "The Maltese Ice Cave", and "Grand Ol' Prix".

Phhffff...this is the Giacchino i hate with a passion. Terribly loud action music with no sense of direction or restraint, over-orchestrated and migraine-inducing. Actually, i find the streamlined route he took on STAR TREK far more agreeable.

Phhffff...this is the Giacchino i hate with a passion. Terribly loud action music with no sense of direction or restraint, over-orchestrated and migraine-inducing. Actually, i find the streamlined route he took on STAR TREK far more agreeable.

Well, I admit the music doesn't have a sense of direction, but I find Giacchino's music like that very fun. It's not a great score, but I enjoy it as a popcorn type of thing. I like the action music in SR better than Star Trek, though. Star Trek always underwhelmed me action-wise, except for "Chutes and Matter".

I feel the same way as Jay about Speed Racer. Didn't grab me at all, but I haven't seen the film.

I don't think seeing the movie will help. I think I enjoy the score more having forgotten the movie.

I found Nailin' The Kelvin pretty boring. It was one of those cues that I feel like I should have liked more, but I don't. The only action cue that I think is really inspired is "Nero Death Experience".

I will say that other than Run and Shoot Offense, the action cues at the end don't work as well for me as the rest of the score for some reason. He might have been trying a bit too hard for the end. The first part of Nero Sighted is friggin' awesome too.

Nailin' the Kelvin works better with the lead in cues from the DE edition.

Taking a break from Spartacus last night to go thru my LaLaLand package:

Predators - Debney.

While it's not original, at least Debney treats another composer's work with the respect it deserves. Not some half assed performances we've heard with other sequels.

The album is a fun listen, the guitar isn't as annoying as I was dreading it would be. I was fearing another Chase Thru Courescant episode or Hooper Potter track.

I was fearing another Chase Thru Courescant episode

I actually like that, and I'm not usually a fan of electric guitar in any venue even.

Forgot about another one I recently listened to:

James Horner - Commando

WOW! What a fun action score! How did I not know about this until now? (I've never seen the movie). Sure the main theme was repeated a lot, but it sounded8999999999999999999999* great every time. I loved the steel drum, synths, drum pads, sax, everything. I really hope a label is able to re-release this so I can own a legit copy!

* that passage courtesy of my cat

Haven't listened with headphones or anything, so the first disc's sound quality sounds fine to me. I enjoy listening to the sore in either this presentation or the OST presentation - both are valid. It is a shame though that there's clipping in the main title, and Descent Into Mystery has quiet choir.

It clips? Such incompetence.

Jay, you have GOT to treat yourself to a viewing of Commando. It is Arnie at his wisecracking', one-liner, '80s butt-kicking top of his game. And your cat is a great typist.

When you have ex-military Arnold playing single dad to Alyssa Milano with Tommy Chong's daughter thrown in as love interest, good things are bound to happen. Plus you get to hear Arnold's pronunciation of "Jenny" as "CHENNY!!!" It rivals "Get to the choppa!" in my book. :)

That's unfortunate. I recently discovered, however, that the free audio editor Audacity has an effect called "Clip Fix" which does what it says, and quite well.

Hmmm, I wonder how that works. Now how well it works, I mean like what does it do to the audio

It attempts to reconstruct the data that was destroyed by clipping. Basically, you lower the overall volume to give it space, then you apply it and the missing spikes in volume reappear. It's not perfect, but it certainly gets rid of that awful scratching noise clipping creates. I tried it on a certain foot warmer that goes where no man has gone before...

That's unfortunate. I recently discovered, however, that the free audio editor Audacity has an effect called "Clip Fix" which does what it says, and quite well.

I have Adobe Audition, too. I fiddled around with its anti-clipping effects, but I can still hear some left-over distortion on various tracks that I've tried with it. Professional audio engineers should know better.

The Richard Hayman & Philharmonic Rock Orchestra John Williams CDs. I love the Close Encounters (The Conversation/Main Title/The Mothership/End Title) and Jaws (Main Title/Promenade/The Chase) tracks. I could do without the water sound effects in Jaws, but you take what you can.

Dante's Peak - complete score. Possibly my favourite disaster score, due to the inspiring location, a set of pretty good themes and a really natural feeling in the orchestration. I tend to enjoy scores where mother nature is a significant part of the story.

Varese's OST was appallingly brief - I'm quietly hoping LLL might get this on their radar at some point, definitely a grail.

The Prince of Egypt:

It's really good! Definitely one of Zimmer's better efforts. And the songs are good also, though not as enjoyable as Menken's work on Disney stuff.

The Prince of Egypt:

It's really good! Definitely one of Zimmer's better efforts. And the songs are good also, though not as enjoyable as Menken's work on Disney stuff.

Yeah, I like it too. Even bought that Wal Mart special CD which had two or three unreleased cues... okay, I got the CD for 10 cents, so no reason to think about it twice. I must say that Prince of Persia really reminds me of this score... particularly the orchestration / ethnic instruments used. Gregson-Williams seems to have had some inspiration there :)

The Prince of Egypt:

Yeah, I like it too. Even bought that Wal Mart special CD which had two or three unreleased cues... okay, I got the CD for 10 cents, so no reason to think about it twice. I must say that Prince of Persia really reminds me of this score... particularly the orchestration / ethnic instruments used. Gregson-Williams seems to have had some inspiration there :)

Actually, according to the soundtrack, Harry Gregson-Williams was involved in the process. He co-produced the track "All I Ever Wanted," whatever that means.

Actually, according to the soundtrack, Harry Gregson-Williams was involved in the process. He co-produced the track "All I Ever Wanted," whatever that means.

Doesn't surprise me in the least... he clearly paid attention. It's not really derivative imo, though. I enjoy Prince of Persia the most of recent scores

Giving Spartacus a break...

Krull by James Horner (La-La Land)

My first Horner purchase for myself actually, and a fantastic one it is.

This score has one of those instantly memorable main themes that knocked my socks off when I first heard it years ago. It's great to finally own the album.

Interesting to note that the first three tracks top at least 7 minutes each. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

Aside from the great main theme there's the love theme, which is quite, well, lovely.

Although no danger motif here (though it feels like it could pop up and make itself right at home anytime), there is this kind of annoying synthesizer effect for the baddies.

Sandwiched between Trek II ('82) and III ('84), Krull ('83) definitely shares a similar sound.

Overall I wouldn't say it's as good as Khan. Spock perhaps, but as I'm not overly familiar with the Treks yet I'll delay further comparisons.

Still, this is Horner at his best. Highly recommended.

Ride of the Firemares ;)

Yeah, Horner is known for, amongst other things, unusually long track times. The final track on Willow is like a whopping 18 minutes.