The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Thanks KK!

The original album is a terrific one but the new complete score release is just a more fully rounded and satisfying experience to my ears. It is admittedly a personal favourite of mine and to my mind still among Newman's best. Apart from a few brief and atmospheric pieces like Prison Entrance, First Rape and Elmo Blatch the whole score is a very engaging and enjoyable listen from start to finish. It is in the best sense of the word "a film score" as Newman's scores often gain a lot from their connection to the films they underscore, so knowing the film probably enhances the listening experience for me but the musical narrative is in itself highly evocative.

• 4 weeks later...

THE FLASH (Shirley Walker) is all sold out!

Clue - less than 30 remain

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World - less than 30 remain

They are going off the site very soon, so pick them up while you still can

MV

Comic Con update:

2 Vinyl releases
3 cd releases
2 pending cd releases (waiting on final sign offs to come in today)

Will announce full slate for Comic Con late next week

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10154409140128755

• 2 weeks later...

La La Land's Comic Con titles have been announced

13607024_10154433088358755_3690285761163

These titles go on sale at Comic Con starting July 20 and then on our website July 26th at 12 pm pst!

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/photos/a.181243738754.155532.56031953754/10154433088358755/?type=3&theater

I am pumped for all of these CD releases to varying degrees.  Money's a bit tight at the moment, so  I'll likely get BTAS and Justice League out of the gate, and pick up the rest in the near future.

Absolute nothing for me in that Comic-Con stuff (I'm not a comics guy so not surprised).  I'll just keep waiting for the announcement of that John Williams release they teased a few months back!

2 CDs.

Basically, the entire run of the first 65 episodes' scores could have fit into three 4CD sets, but since they only did 2 CDs the first time around, it ended up being 2-4-4-2 instead of 4-4-4.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

2 CDs.

Basically, the entire run of the first 65 episodes' scores could have fit into three 4CD sets, but since they only did 2 CDs the first time around, it ended up being 2-4-4-2 instead of 4-4-4.

They should release a single CD compilation with the highlights geared towards people who might be casually interested like me!

(I realize this puts me in a potential buyer pool of like 20 people so it wouldn't be worth it for them)

3 hours ago, Jay said:

2 CDs.

That's fine. At least it will be cheaper. Loved the previous three sets.

And yes, a compilation set would be nice too. It's a lot if music to get through.

Karol

The original 2CD set (volume 1) is essentially a "best of" already, if you can handle 2CDs as your intro.

Wow! There is a movie coming out based on the label!

Teeheehee, okay, not really. But if they don't release the film's soundtrack, it's gonna be a huge missed opportunity. ;)

MV on the FSM boards

The plan:

The Adventures of Batman & Robin (3 or 4 cd set)
The New Batman Adventures (2 cd set)
Batman/Mr Freeze Subzero
Batman Beyond (3 or 4 disc set)
Justice League Unlimited (3 or 4 disc set)
Teen Titans (3 or 4 disc set)

That's all that is being discussed at the moment. Another volume of Superman TAS was in the works, but sales were so low on the first volume we scraped plans for the time being.

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=115428&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=3&r=871#bottom

I was at the La La Land booth at Comic Con last night and I picked up a few goodies. They included a flyer which is teasing the following upcoming albums. Some of which had already been revealed, but a few that were surprises to me at least:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Star Trek Enterprise, vol 2 (4-CD set)
Wonder Woman: The TV Series (3-CD set)
The X-Files, vol 3 (4-CD set)
Arrow: Season 4
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: Season 1
Justice League vs. Teen Titans/Batman Bad Blood (2-CD set)

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&threadID=115428

X-Files and Bueller will be mine

• 3 weeks later...

Coming next Tuesday August 16, 2016 at 12 pm pst

JUSTICE LEAGUE VS TEEN TITANS / BATMAN BAD BLOOD -- 2 CD SET
MUSIC BY FREDERIK WIEDMANN
Limited edition of 1000 units
RETAIL PRICE $19.98

Incredible 2 Disc set features two scores for the price of one!

Composer Frederik Wiedmann delivers two of his finest scores to the ever popular and expanding DC Animated Universe. Justice League vs Teen Titans, in particular, have some of the finest music the composer has written to date -- giant sweeping themes, huge choral work, and a real fun sense of heroism. Both films were scored with a small Orchestra.

The first 100 or so customers who purchase the CD through the La La Land records website will receive a signed copy autographed by the composer at no extra charge. Quantities are limited and you are not guaranteed a signed copy.

PRIMAL FEAR
MUSIC BY JAMES NEWTON HOWARD 
Limited edition of 1000 units
RETAIL PRICE $19.98

Celebrating its 20th anniversary James Newton Howard's knockout score to the Richard Gere starring thriller Primal Fear makes its anniversary appearance on a limited edition CD courtesy of La La Land Records and Paramount Pictures . Remastered and expanded, this intense score is one of the composers finest works in the Thriller genre. Produced and art directed by Dan Goldwasser with liner notes by Daniel Schweiger this is a must-have release for any fan of JNH.

Both CDs go on sale next Tuesday August 16th at www.lalalandrecords.com and fine online stores

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10154527644033755

• 4 weeks later...

14192003_10154599582048755_5080977238132

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/photos/a.181243738754.155532.56031953754/10154599582048755/

And through comments on that post,

An update on X-Files Volume 3:

It should be out late October. The Box is being made now, but sometimes that can take forever. Probably Oct 25

And update on Star Trek Voyager Volume 1:

Voyager was delayed until 2017 due to element issues. All has been found now, but we already had a Vol 2 of Enterprise to go (since we pulled and transferred so much stuff for Vol 1). Expect it in Jan...could be Feb

I guess Elfman was otherwise occupied when Burton was making Miss Peregrine?

I've enjoyed Margeson's past work (The Winter Soldier and Eddie the Eagle). I might check out what he did for this film.

1 minute ago, Skelly said:

Yes. 

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20442-official-danny-elfman-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1207048

1 hour ago, Skelly said:

I've enjoyed Margeson's past work (The Winter Soldier and Eddie the Eagle). I might check out what he did for this film.

Yeah. In much the same way that JW was unavailable when it ceme to scoring THE COLOR PURPLE. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Some direct sales tidbits from MV

Interesting stats on our website sale numbers. 

Ferris already cracked the top 20 of all time in its first 3 days of release

1.    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE
2.    STAR TREK THE ORIGINAL SERIES
3.    HOOK
4.    INDEPENDENCE DAY
5.    BATMAN (1989)
6.    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: BLOOD AND CHROME
7.    THE X-FILES VOLUME ONE
8.    BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES VOLUME 2
9.    A.I.
10.    STAR TREK V
11.    THE X FILES VOLUME 2
12.    BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES
13.    HE MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
14.    STAR TREK DEEP SPACE 9
15.    BATMAN MASK OF THE PHANTASM
16.    BATMAN RETURNS
17.    FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF
18.    CLUE
19.    SUPERMAN RETURNS
20.    MARS ATTACKS

This list is just direct website sales. Not wholesale.

The BSG titles blow everything out of the water if you count wholesale figures.

MV

As stated above, the sales only reflect what we sold directly via our website and does not include wholesale or distributor figures. If we included those, Battlestar Galactica seasons 1 2 3 and 4 plus the Mini Series would be at the top of our all time sales along with, wait for it, MIRRORMASK. Yeah, we sold a ton of those through our distributor during our license. Odd, huh? 

MV

Titles like Braveheart and Dances sold incredibly well across the board. I think we have 500 Braveheart left. Dances has sold over half the run of 5000 units so far. Its just that they sold well on our website as well as Screen Archives, Intrada, etc...

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=115631&forumID=1&archive=0

Well these are just a listing of sales through their own website, and NOT an aggregate of all sales that include Amazon, Screen Archives, and all the other places that carry their CDs.

But actually it makes sense to me that a product limited to 3500 units would sell more copies than a product limited to 3000 units :)

I figured the higher price tag for Vol. 2 might make Vol. 1 a more desirable item for the casual Batman fan. But maybe I shouldn't be too surprised; I suppose by the time Vol. 2 was released, customers were beginning to think in terms of "La-La Land has released a new Batman" as opposed to "Amazon has a new Batman CD listed" and bought it directly from the LLL website.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, 3 titles on Oct 11 and a 4 cd set on Oct 25

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=116950&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=2&r=502

For the 11th, one is Miss Peregrine's; the second is Arrow Season 4; the third is a mystery! As is the 4-CD set a couple weeks after (even though we got a lot of DC stuff during the summer, I'm hoping that this is Batman Beyond or something actually it's likely X-Files Vol. 3, which they teased at Comic-con.).

Surprised that BSG sells so well. Even more surprised that Blood and Chrome is the strongest in their website sales. I can't recall anything memorable on that album, not even after finally having seen the film recently.

I'm getting excited about what LLL's Nov 8 and Nov 29 (Black Friday) batches could contain.  They always end the year strong!

They did in 2013 at least.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=100515

Bottom of the page, MV says, "Potter is so close I can taste it." Since we still haven't seen or heard anything of it three years later I kind of wonder if the deal fell through.

They won't start with 3. It'll be PS (15tg anniversary this year too) and work their way through them. How far they get is another thing but Potter will sell anyway.

Not necessarily. They didn't make an expanded edition to X-Men 1 before doing one for X2.
Plus there are many high-quality complete score bootlegs for many of the films (except Azkaban) that would chip into sales.