The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Speed 2 is missing the "Seaborn Legend" and the "Caribbean" cues from the promo. ;) Two other versions of the Caribbean theme are included however ("Caribbean Cruise" and "Cruising").

14116.gif

This cover is an ugly bitch...i could do a better cover with IrfanView. :)

I agree, not exactly top notch art direction. But look on the bright side. La-La Land gets it right where it counts, namely the music. If cover art is the only bad thing about a release then there is really nothing to complain about. :)

There'll always be things to complain about.

'What? Star Trek III has a whole second disc recreating the original album only remastered and as a result SAE have upped the price by five dollars? Outrageous! :) :) :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:'

From the Film Score Monthly message board:

As we approach the end of the first half of 2010 I thought it would be easier to lay out La La Land’s Summer/Fall plans:

First off, we are still processing and shipping out all the Speed 2 and Edge orders we have received. They are going out fast and furious. Please be patient. They will arrive shortly at your doorstep. Should you not have yours by the end of next week -- I’m looking at you, customers from Jersey wink --, then contact us.

Our planned June 29 releases have been delayed a week so we may catch up on all these orders and take a breather or two. Instead, on Tuesday July 6 at noon PST we will start taking orders on the following cds:

DIARY OF A WIMPY KID – score by Theodore Shapiro. The first 100 or so cds purchased through the website will be autographed by Mr Shapiro.

RETAIL PRICE: $15.98

Produced by Theodore Shapiro and MV Gerhard

Mastered by James Nelson

Liner notes by the composer and director

OFFICE SPACE/ IDIOCRACY – John Frizzell and Theodore Shapiro score these two hilarious films from writer/director Mike Judge. The first 100 or so cds purchased through the website will be autographed by Mr. Frizzell and Mr Shapiro.

RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

Limited Edition of 1200 units

Produced by MV Gerhard

Mastered by James Nelson

Liner Notes by Daniel Schweiger, featuring interviews with the composers and the man himself, Mike Judge.

(Cover art, track listings, and sound clips will be made available at time of release. Please do not ask us in advance. Your requests, while appreciated, will fall upon blind AND VERY TIRED eyes. Thank you)

As for our July 20th releases I think I have been unclear as to our release pattern intentions:

The La-La Land gang is heading down to San Diego this July 20 for Comic Con. We will be down there sharing a huge booth with our good friends from TOY HUNGRY. As part of this special occasion we plan on debuting 3 new titles – PREDATORS, and Two Different 2-Disc sets (one at 5000 units and one at 3000 units). These titles will be making their world premiere down at the Con. You will be able to buy them there first, should you happen to be going. On July 15th we will be issuing a press release as to what these titles will be.

Our offices will be closed the week of the 20th and will reopen on July 26. Orders will still be taken, but nothing will be processed and shipped out until our return. Emails will not be answered. Phone calls not returned. Monkeys unfed. frown

On July 27, at NOON PST we will start taking orders on our website for those three titles we are debuting at Comic Con. Rest assured, we will still have plenty of copies on hand for you fine folks.

In August, business is expected to resume as usual with 4 new releases, starting with two new LIMITED EDITIONS on August 10, and then continuing that trend every two weeks until BLACK FRIDAY (although, plans may change). On November 26 we will unveil our final three releases of 2010, to be sold starting November 30.

As for the X-Files, I plan on having it out in October, shortly before Halloween (fingers crossed).

We have some wonderful new projects coming your way for the rest of 2010. Perhaps one of your grails will be in the mix.

See you all back here in a few weeks for our next two!

Until then, enjoy all those awesome releases that have been coming out!

MV

I bet one of those titles debuting at Comic Con will be the complete release for Elfman's Batman (the first one). All though it would suck if they sold out before internet orders would be able to take place.

MV said there will be plenty available for us internet shoppers.

On July 27, at NOON PST we will start taking orders on our website for those three titles we are debuting at Comic Con. Rest assured, we will still have plenty of copies on hand for you fine folks.

If Elfman's Batman is going to be one of the releases, it has to be the 5,000 copies. That still seems like it may not be enough though. Back To The Future sold more than 5K right? I think Batman could easily do the same.

I think the entire score by itself could easily fit onto one album...all though for alternates not sure. Maybe the second disc would be the OST presentation.

Imagine if it was Batman complete (5000) and Batman & Robin (3000). That'd be cool!

If it were Star Trek V, it would likely have the OST arrangement on a second disc (despite it seeming rather pointless for Trek V).

Hmmm, so now its two 2-CD sets? One at 3,000 units, one at 5,000 units?

I doubt its Batman, since that should fit on one disc. Also, with most of Batman's orchestra fees already paid for for the OST, they should be able to make the expanded release unlimited, a la FSMs Treks 2 and 3.

So, one of the titles may be Batman & Robin..... as for the other, I guess we have to wait for a avatar clue. I hope its Hook!

Would Hook have Comic-Con appeal? I'm also perplexed at Batman as a suggestion - the score album is still readily available and not all that much is missing from the album. Maybe if it's a Batman/Batman Returns double-header, but then there's the issue of Watertower Music. Batman & Robin would be cool but MV said late last year that it would take a while. Still, they'll be exciting releases to be sure.

Exactly - not much is missing from Batman, so they'd only have to pay additional re-use fees for a small amount of music.

It's still worth reissuing for the missing music, the upgrade in sound, the proper sequencing, and the missing drum overlays from the main titles (and perhaps other cues?)

If LLL signed a contract for the Batmans before WaterTower Records started, they'd still be able to release them themselves

I'm wondering if LLL swooped in and signed a number of Elfman's titles at the time they went for Mars Attacks. Otherwise it means, even if we get Batman, it's unlikely we'd also get Batman Returns and Batman & Robin.

Now Batman Returns would certainly make sense as a 2disc set and limited to 3,000 units. The score is long enough to warrant 2 discs, and there's enough unreleased music it would be expensive to pay all the fees and make it unlimited.

I really want both Elfman Batmans in complete and remastered form!

Batman was recorded in London so I would would imagine the fees would be small.

My guess is that the 3000 will be Batman & Robin and the 5000 will be Star Trek:TMP. Going to be an expensive day because I know I'm getting Predators.

Ooooh, also a good guess! Probably a more likely guess as well. HOOK feels more like a November release to me :lol:

I didn't realize Batman was recorded in London.... should definitely be unlimited then, I'd hope!

Right. I'm sure Batman Returns and Batman & Robin will be limited. But Batman should be unlimited if the labels know what they're doing.

Taking into consideration the "world premiere" quote by MV Gerhard, one of the discs could be the 2 for 1 with the rejected / original score combo he mentioned was coming.

Wolfen anyone? ;)

Taking into consideration the "world premiere" quote by MV Gerhard, one of the discs could be the 2 for 1 with the rejected / original score combo he mentioned was coming.

Wolfen anyone? ;)

Again, let's hope so.

Would a score like TMP be limited?

Wolfen anyone? ;)

I believe "world premiere" means that you can ONLY get it at comic con until it goes on the website July 27th.

I don't know if Wolfen would be considered a "big", comic-con worthy release. I think that's more likely to be one of the grails MV mentioned could be coming between August and November.

Would a score like TMP be limited?

Sure, if La La Land cannot afford to pay the full re-use fees for all the never before released music.

Who knows, each label and studio are different. Maybe it wouldn't be feasible for LaLaLand to go unlimited on TMP.

Isn't the 20th Anniversary edition of TMP still in print? Maybe that affects the quantities. Of course that's assuming one of the titles is TMP.

Who knows, each label and studio are different. Maybe it wouldn't be feasible for LaLaLand to go unlimited on TMP.

Isn't the 20th Anniversary edition of TMP still in print? Maybe that affects the quantities. Of course that's assuming one of the titles is TMP.

That's true. Although part of me is hoping that it's something I have no interest in, because I'm having trouble buying up all the great stuff that's been released recently, let alone a lot of awesome back catalogue releases.

I now the feeling. There's several scores out this year that I would have picked up if they were all that came out, but I've had to focus on just the big stuff.

Well if all of these rumours are true then I'm likely to get a nice break from LLL releases, having gotten one release from each major batch so far (and my Edge CD just arrived, yay!).

The rejected score could be interesting. There are a few I'd like to hear. Wolfen isn't one of them ;)

Well if all of these rumours are true then I'm likely to get a nice break from LLL releases, having gotten one release from each major batch so far (and my Edge CD just arrived, yay!).

The rejected score could be interesting. There are a few I'd like to hear. Wolfen isn't one of them ;)

Well technically if you've heard Wrath of Khan and Aliens you've heard it already.

I don't think I've ever heard Wolfen, but I have an idea in my head what it kinda sounds like. Charlie's description above fits my mental model. Those creepy echo-plexed horns in Horner's early work are very atmospheric.

I don't think I've ever heard Wolfen, but I have an idea in my head what it kinda sounds like. Charlie's description above fits my mental model. Those creepy echo-plexed horns in Horner's early work are very atmospheric.

I'm doing it a disservice really, but the seeds of those scores are there. 'Atmospheric' is a spot on description really, but some of it is eerily beautiful. I heartily recommend it if it becomes available.

Remember, MV kindly said in my interview with him that there were two rejected scores coming, with their used scores, so we've got two goodies somewhere down the line this year.