The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

I have no more hope for Hook now, since we got Poseidon.

No where has it ever been said that they only had one John Williams CD in the works.

I really think that we'll see a complete HOOK from La La Land records later on this year. I still think November 30th is most likely but it could end up being June 15 or July 20 you never know. I would happily wait till November 30th if that means we will get a better, more polished product with lengthy and detailed liner notes

I also am pretty sure that one of the July 20th releases will be Elfman's Batman.

I have no more hope for Hook now, since we got Poseidon.

No where has it ever been said that they only had one John Williams CD in the works.

I really think that we'll see a complete HOOK from La La Land records later on this year. I still think November 30th is most likely but it could end up being June 15 or July 20 you never know. I would happily wait till November 30th if that means we will get a better, more polished product with lengthy and detailed liner notes

I also am pretty sure that one of the July 20th releases will be Elfman's Batman.

Hook would be a definite buy for me.

Danny Elfman's Batman... Cool, I'd probably get this one too, even if it's only to have it in better quality than the original CD release (one of the very first CDs I ever bought!). Didn't I read somewhere that most of the score was actually on the CD? Having seen the film recently I seem to recall there are a couple of "film versions" of a couple of cues that could be alternates to the "album versions". Was there much more left off the original CD?

Sorry if I seem out of the loop, but what exact evidence is there for speculation on a HOOK release from La La Land this year? Just wondering. :(

When Caddyshack was announced, MV said "It's a our first release with Sony Special Products. They have different production terms than other companies. In the coming years we will have editions of 3500 units all the way up to 5000 units (depending on the title). Most of those titles will be part of our Expanded Archival Collection." (link)

Since then I've thought that Hook would be done by LLL at 5,000 units. Then MV said this: "I already know that this year our planned major MAJOR release dates are 3/23, 4/20, 5/4, 7/20 and 11/30. And we are going to try to stick to those dates as best as we can. But in the interim we will have several other great releases coming out as well." (link)

I predicted after that that Elfman's Batman and their 4CD X-files sets were July 20th, and that HOOK would be Nov 30th.

The 3/23 releases were Dragonslayer and Eraser; The 4/20 releases were ID4 and Poseidon Adventure; The 5/4 releases were pushed back to 6/15. X-Files was pushed back from 7/20 into the fall but MV recently said they still have two LEs for that day. Hopefully one of them is Batman! And I really think 11/30 is HOOK.

Danny Elfman's Batman... Cool, I'd probably get this one too, even if it's only to have it in better quality than the original CD release (one of the very first CDs I ever bought!). Didn't I read somewhere that most of the score was actually on the CD? Having seen the film recently I seem to recall there are a couple of "film versions" of a couple of cues that could be alternates to the "album versions". Was there much more left off the original CD?

I've also heard a modern, Elfman-style version of Nelson Riddle's Batman theme that was supposedly recorded at the Batman sessions.

I've also heard a modern, Elfman-style version of Nelson Riddle's Batman theme that was supposedly recorded at the Batman sessions.

That sounds pretty cool. I'm not the biggest fan of Batman, but I'd happily give an expanded version a look.

Mike Matessino has stated before he would love to see Hook get released. At the time though I think he stated it when it was a bit impossible. Now that ID-4 has been released I guess anything's possible. I'm sure LLL is aware a lot of people would love to have Hook too. I'm not holding my breath for Hook but if a complete version is released I'll buy it for sure.

It all depends whether or not they are successful in getting a license from Sony and Epic considering the OST is still in print.

Well, I'm sure all the labels are doing what they can to get EVERYTHING released, and rarely choose one Williams score over another if given the opportunity to do both, ya know?

Hook is one of only a couple of Williams OSTs that pretty much satisfies my desires for the score (other being TMP - representative of the score or not, the listening experience is good IMO).

While I'd agree that November seems a good time to release it (it's a sort of festive/holiday toned score), I'd still maintain that nothing MV has said beyond that they're working with Sony and some releases to up to 5000, indicates Hook. Although the timeline would make sense, as the Hook sessions must be hell go sort through.

The Hook OST is only satisfying if you aren't familiar with the extra music. Once you are, only the complete score will do

The OST is only satisfying is you aren't familiar with the extra music. Once you are, only the complete score will do

no kidding. The OST is painful to listen to when you know everything that is missing. :)

There's an entire theme - Hook's Seduction Theme - that doesn't appear on the OST at all.

Hook is one of only a couple of Williams OSTs that pretty much satisfies my desires for the score (other being TMP - representative of the score or not, the listening experience is good IMO)..

TMP needs an expansion, not so much for the missing film cues, but more for the early versions and alternates. Their inclusion would musically tell a fascinating story about the evolution of the score into its final form.

I think Rich was talking about The Phantom Menace. Are you talking about Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

'TMP' rolls off the keys a little more naturally than 'TPM'. But yes, I meant The Menace Phantome :)

I admit though that my feeling with Hook is down to not having seen the movie for years, and mostly ignoring the bad sounding boots. That and moving on a bit from Williams' sound.

The movie's a guilty pleasure. The name calling sequence is embarrassing, but other than that, I rather like the movie.

I would love to have a complete score, but until then, I'll make do with the bad sounding boot. I've listened to "The Ultimate War" descending into the horrendous quality second half for so many years that I wouldn't want to hear it just stop.

Re Hedji, I wouldn't mind an expanded TMP either. I'd rather see III, IV, and V get out in complete form first, for sure.

Re Hedji, I wouldn't mind an expanded TMP either. I'd rather see III, IV, and V get out in complete form first, for sure.

Yeah, that's the same situation as other Williams over Hook for me- I'd rather get the ones that haven't had a chance as a b**t before. Though I certainly wasn't and am not complaining about ID4.

At this point, as much as I'd love to see scores like SpaceCamp and Dracula get their due...I don't think I could turn down Hook if I had to pick just one of them to get an expansion...in fact, I know I couldn't. It's just too consistently excellent and exciting and lovely and...I couldn't pass on it. I badly badly badly want a high-quality copy of "Exit Music."

Nope. "Exit music" is a concert arrangement of the memory theme. "No More Hook" is an original cue that for whatever reason wasn't on the boots

At this point, as much as I'd love to see scores like SpaceCamp and Dracula get their due...

I think those would be #s 2 and 1 on my "realistic" list right now (#1 period will always be complete prequels, but it's not happening soon). Though of course I would love to get Hook as well.

The way things have been the last few years it sure looks like it. Good times.

Indeed it's been a great time to be a film score fan. With all the complete releases coming out lately I never thought I'd see them get released.

I'm still shocked by last year's release of Honey, I Shrunk The Kids. A score with THAT much of a public legal battle seemed like it couldn't possibly get released in any form beyond a bootleg. And I was wrong!

I know right! I honestly thought it would NEVER be released ever. Then it was just... here! It's a shame Horner got involved in the CD track selection and its not the complete score. Oh well, close enough

Every limited edition Horner was involved with, was not complete and the bootleg(s) had score not on the limited:

"Honey, I Shrunk the Kids"

"Something Wicked This Way Comes"

"The Journey of Natty Gann"

All other LEs I own are either complete, or are missing cues due to the limits of a CD. Horner hasn't quite got the hang of the restorative thing

In fact I'm sure that the existence of a boot, with cues missing from the official CD, is why it hasn't sold out yet.

My only worry of HOOK getting released is Williams being involved with it. Meaning: probably wouldn't get the complete score. Sort of like James Horner when he was involved with the Intrada releases last year, or Williams on the Indy box set.

I love John Williams, and think he's a nice guy, don't get me wrong. But sometimes I seriously can picture him... sitting at home... snickering to himself...

"Those poor bastards! They'll never get my complete works! Never! Hahahaha! Want Harry Potter? Denied! Hook? Denied! How about Indiana Jones? Well... I'll give you a good chunk of it, but the whole thing? Denied! What about Phantom Menace? Oh, I have darker plans for that one..."

Yeah, we're screwed if Williams is involved. Where are these Hook rumors coming from? I remember a couple of years ago there were "rumors" that Family Plot was going to be released (around the time that the recording sessions leaked). We still don't have that one.

Well Family Plot is basically confirmed, and I'd say most likely coming this year.

Hook is nothing more than speculation based on LaLa Land's Sony contract.

"Those poor bastards! They'll never get my complete works! Never! Hahahaha! Want Harry Potter? Denied! Hook? Denied! How about Indiana Jones? Well... I'll give you a good chunk of it, but the whole thing? Denied! What about Phantom Menace? Oh, I have darker plans for that one..."

:P

:P

I'm glad someone found it funny. Hahahaha. I laughed out loud after writing it. Yes, that makes me high on myself, I know.

I'm stretching this IF....IF Hook is released (no one knows for sure), no doubt Mike Matessino would work on that project. A lot of people know that Mike Matessino really loves the score for Hook and if he worked on it he would make sure we get everything, despite if Williams was involved in it or not. Just like with Independence Day...I had a feeling Mike would make sure that we would get the revised cues for the final battle.

I'm stretching this IF....IF Hook is released (no one knows for sure), no doubt Mike Matessino would work on that project. A lot of people know that Mike Matessino really loves the score for Hook and if he worked on it he would make sure we get everything, despite if Williams was involved in it or not. Just like with Independence Day...I had a feeling Mike would make sure that we would get the revised cues for the final battle.

But i heavily doubt Williams would bar the final battle from release. He isn't that clueless..

But i heavily doubt Williams would bar the final battle from release. He isn't that clueless..

I think it is called "artistic modesty" when Williams is concerned and he has a bit too much of that. He just doesn't (unfortunately for us) think that even his greatest masterpieces are worth releasing in their full form which is a bit baffling. But I doubt JW is so malicious as to actively out of spite towards his fans try to sabotage a complete release from happening.

And in Horner's case wasn't the Journey of Natty Gann only possible because Horner provided his own tapes and because those tapes were the best source left even though not complete. Here is what it says on the Intrada site: Rhodes masters CD at Abbey Road using Horner's own personal tape, the only surviving first-generation copy known to exist.

My only worry of HOOK getting released is Williams being involved with it. Meaning: probably wouldn't get the complete score. Sort of like James Horner when he was involved with the Intrada releases last year, or Williams on the Indy box set.

I love John Williams, and think he's a nice guy, don't get me wrong. But sometimes I seriously can picture him... sitting at home... snickering to himself...

I too hope that if LLL or another label gets to release an expanded HOOK, they hire Mike Matessino and give it the Home Alone 2 / The Poseidon Adventure / Black Sunday treatment............ that would be MUCH preferable over hiring Laurent Bozereau and giving it the Jaws CE / ET Expanded / Indy boxset treatment

The only way Laurent Bozereau would be involved would be if Hook were to be released as a regular in store CD.

If one of the labels do it, I would imagine M. Mattesino would handle the assembly.