Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

OBSESSION

Music Box Records reissued 350 copies of this Herrmann classic. Missed out on the previous release so I was glad to get this. This one is a single CD release (compared to the previous 2 CD set) featuring the complete score. The previous version also contained the remastered OST album but I can certainly live without it.

THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK (EXPANDED AND REMASTERED 2-CD)

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

OBSESSION

Music Box Records reissued 350 copies of this Herrmann classic. Missed out on the previous release so I was glad to get this. This one is a single CD release (compared to the previous 2 CD set) featuring the complete score. The previous version also contained the remastered OST album but I can certainly live without it.

I am aware of the Phase4 box set, which contains the OST single disc. And the Nic Raine re-recording, having the complete score on a single disc as well. To what 2-disc edition are you referring to?

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I am aware of the Phase4 box set, which contains the OST single disc. And the Nic Raine re-recording, having the complete score on a single disc as well. To what 2-disc edition are you referring to?

The previous MBR release.

https://www.musicbox-records.com/fr/cd-musiques-de-films/1414-obsession.html

I’m in the same boat as @Incanus so I placed an order for the reissue of Obsession as well. 

I have the Phase 4 Herrmann box set with the Obsession OST. Does anyone know how it compares to the Disc 2 of the previous Music Box release?

52 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I am aware of the Phase4 box set, which contains the OST single disc. And the Nic Raine re-recording, having the complete score on a single disc as well.

I have both of these and I'm satisfied with that.

Interesting question. I have both versions of the OST, might look it up in the liner notes.

One thing I can certainly spot is that tracks on the MBR are joined into longer suites (6 tracks) and corrected some track names whereas the Phase4 box are separated (20 tracks).

Anyway, glad you guys picked this up. It is a classy release.

Karol

@Marian Schedenig GREAT haul!

I want an official Marian Schedenig JW Lego! :lol: I’ve never asked, but how did he come to be?  Did you just rummage through your spare parts? Or did you plan it out?  Are they all Lego, or are some pieces custom?  And the Oscars too.  Always makes me smile. 

Edit- searching turned this up. Wow!

http://bricks.schedenig.name/2020/02/08/john-williams-brickheadz/

16 minutes ago, Andy said:

Back when I made it, I created a thread here:

It's all standard parts. I designed it with stud.io and then ordered the parts on (mostly*) BrickLink. I probably had most of them in my own spare collection, but that's way too unorganised to find everything I need. *) "Mostly", because the white wands were hard to come by back then, so I had to take them from the Voldemort I have from an official set. (I've since stocked up on a few of them when they were available in LEGO's own parts shop).

Of course, I recently had to adapt it to stay up to date with post eye surgery JW. (I should find a 2x1 tile to replace the two 1x1s)

I still haven't made the Jerry Goldsmith I mentioned in that other thread. I really should get around to that someday.

On 11/08/2023 at 8:03 AM, JTWfan77 said:

@crocodile what vinyl setup do you have for listening?

At the moment, I haven't got a system of my own. My friend, with whom I share a house, has a modest Sony turntable and we use a pair of wireless speakers. It is really nothing fancy but I will definitely think of something more posh once I move out.

Karol

3 hours ago, Andy said:

Yeah me too.  Always reminds me of the Polydor Star Wars 2CD, when they packed it with thin sheets of foam to protect the discs. 

IMG_0212.jpeg

My first ever CD score purchase...and the first time I ever owned the OST (I had the Gerhardt on vinyl)

Those foam things were a bad idea, I picked up a used Monty Python double CD set where the discs had melded very nicely into the foam rendering them unusable.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Actually I think I've got three versions from different pressings.

I know of the German RSO (the same one I have), the US Polydor and the Japanese issue which if I recall has some differences in the art layout - also Japanese TESB and ROtJ front sleeves are quite different.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Can't remember except one of them was licensed to that West German label with a pig logo.

A/ it's not West German. The label was formed in the UK, by Robert Stigwood.

B/ it's not a pig, it's a legendary akabeko cow.

21 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I know of the German RSO (the same one I have), the US Polydor and the Japanese issue which if I recall has some differences in the art layout - also Japanese TESB and ROtJ front sleeves are quite different.

Yes, I have the RSO release, and I think two Polydor releases, where one has everything in greyscale and the other has a a little bit of color (such as in the Polydor logo).

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A/ it's not West German. The label was formed in the UK, by Robert Stigwood.

B/ it's not a pig, it's a legendary akabeko cow.

I was guessing here as it's a while since I looked at it (it's not readily available at the moment). Perhaps it was printed in Germany.

50 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Thatcher reminds me, I could listen to The Others again.  It is really a beautiful score. 

Did she came back from the grave just to remind you to listen to The Others? I imagine a deceased former British Prime-Minister would have more pressing matters.

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Did she came back from the grave just to remind you to listen to The Others? I imagine a deceased former British Prime-Minister would have more pressing matters.

Yes. She s here in my place and doesn't realize, that she is dead. (bloody auto correction).

Another JPC sale with free shipping:

image.jpeg

(Plus one Carl Davis album that's still on backorder)

I hadn't picked up the new Ben Folds album because his regular editions are always inferior to the special/limited ones, and I missed out on getting the limited edition from his website - then to my surprise JPC had it for a moderate €20. I don't care much about the signature (I like having autographs of my favourite musicians, but mostly just when I got them in person; and I've already got a signed music sheet from one of his crowdfunding thingies anyway), but the three bonus tracks I didn't want to miss out on.

The Wand box I got mainly for the two Bruckner recordings, but at a discounted €10 it's still a good price just for those, and the rest is a nice bonus.

This week I randomly looked up Vox Vulgaris again... and found out they became active again in the last few years!!!

So of course I had to catch up with a Bandcamp batch...

a3393205274_16.jpga2698154211_16.jpga0713441284_16.jpga2528624911_16.jpga3628571484_10.jpg

On 20/08/2023 at 6:40 PM, Holko said:

This week I randomly looked up Vox Vulgaris again... and found out they became active again in the last few years!!!

a3393205274_16.jpga2698154211_16.jpga0713441284_16.jpga2528624911_16.jpga3628571484_10.jpg

You live in a Bosch painting?! 

On 20/08/2023 at 5:40 PM, Holko said:

oh nice

It was in a jewel CD case, like one of those box-set-type jewel cases for multiple discs. I wasn’t aware of the fact that this release is supposed to be a digipack. The CDs have the characters printed on them like on the real thing, but it seems like very cheap printing, on what I assume are CD-R discs. Also, even though the album was shrink-wrapped, the booklet looked a bit oily as if it had been handled; I opened it and the pictures and text were all there, but they looked like lower-quality scans of the real thing.

I have long heard of Amazon customers complaining about “fake” this or that, but I just always assumed these sorts of issues only applied to people who bought third-party items; on the contrary, this was shipped and sold by Amazon, so it’s about as “official” as it gets on that store. There are some Amazon reviews there mentioning that it’s a bootleg, so apparently this is a known problem. Not sure what it takes for Amazon to pull something like this so more people don’t fall for it.

10 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Also, even though the album was shrink-wrapped, the booklet looked a bit oily as if it had been handled; I opened it and the pictures and text were all there, but they looked like lower-quality scans of the real thing.

Reminds me of the time when JNH was coming to Vienna for Hollywood in Vienna, and I wanted him to sign The Lady in the Water. I already had an original copy, but it came as an extra with the DVD, so it had no case or cover of its own - i.e. nothing to sign. A new copy apparently wasn't available at the regular sellers anymore, so I bought it on eBay. I think it came shinkwrapped, and it is a pressed CD, but the cover looks unusually glossy and the paper is thicker than usual. I've always suspected that it's some kind of quasi-professional boot.

Anyway… he signed it.