Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

It is the older Rhino release, yes. For only $14.71 in Like New condition, too.

Cool, if you can't afford the Blue Box, this is the best possible alternative and still a very fine release and treatment of this JW masterpiece. So congrats on one of the best soundtrack investments you've made so far. :thumbup:

I should get it tomorrow. It's not going to disappoint in any case, because I haven't got the original.

Karol

Believe me, my dear friend, you shall NEVER regret this investment! :D

Tom And Jerry & Tex Avery Too! Volume 1: The 1950s - Scott Bradley

Can you please tell me how are you happy with this one? I know it must be great and I'm planning to add it to my next SAE order but I couldn't find any samples to listen to ...

I should get it tomorrow. It's not going to disappoint in any case, because I haven't got the original.

Karol

Believe me, my dear friend, you shall NEVER regret this investment! :D

It's still not here. :unsure:

Karol

Can you please tell me how are you happy with this one? I know it must be great and I'm planning to add it to my next SAE order but I couldn't find any samples to listen to ...

soundclips

Unfortunately, I didn't get the La-La Land release for Independence Day, only the OST. It was a blind buy, so I didn't want to spend $30. It's really good, so I might end up getting the complete, but there is some other stuff I am going to collect first. Speaking of which, I'm thinking of getting the Star Trek:TMP, but is there a new release in the works? I heard some rumors about that...just curious.

It works this way: you buy whatever release you can find and then after few weeks it gets released. There is no other way. Works every time. Trust me, I know. ;)

Karok

I'm wondering whether somebody's ever going to release the old Superman cartoon scores. It should fit on 2 CD's.

Karol

I think there's some issues with that material. I believe it may come down to some petty bickering between our beloved soundtrack producers.

I love it. Great nostalgia. I had it on my wish list for awhile and decided to pick it up with Poltergeist. But it's been 4 years since it's been released, where's Volume 2? Perhaps it didn't sell well enough.

I'm wondering whether somebody's ever going to release the old Superman cartoon scores. It should fit on 2 CD's.

Karol

I think there's some issues with that material. I believe it may come down to some petty bickering between our beloved soundtrack producers.

You speak in riddles.

Karol - who still hasn't received his Home Alone...

I'm thinking of getting the Star Trek:TMP, but is there a new release in the works? I heard some rumors about that...just curious.

No one really knows what is going on with Star Trek TMP. Hopefully an expansion is in the works but we have no way of knowing

Remember Jeff Bond posted sometime earlier this year saying rights issues is holding up a complete release for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Probably because the 20th Anniversary is still in print thus Sony holds the rights to it.

Hopefully with La-La Land having the relationship they do have with Sony now they maybe able to clear up the rights issues. If they do I would imagine Star Trek: The Motion Picture being limited to a 5,000 unit release like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

I have to admit I haven't given it a chance in a good year or two. I like Final Frontier a lot, so there's hope. My opinion of it will probably change for the better if I give it a fair shot again sometime.

Trent,

I vaguely remember that post, and find your logic in this case to be sound.

It is a reasonable possibility that Star Trek: TMP will eventually be released.

LLL, FSM or Intrada all know how to do justice to this score given their excellent track record.

Unfortunately, Varese have lost my faith in them somewhat for a release of this nature, especially given the issues with Star Trek: DE.

Unfortunately, Varese have lost my faith in them somewhat for a release of this nature, especially given the issues with Star Trek: DE.

I agree. I mean it's nice to have the previously unreleased music from Giacchino's Star Trek officially released, however, I would have liked it done properly. That means choir in place for cues that it was meant for, no micro-edits in cues (there are about 4 or 5 cues micro-edited) and even some alternates or other unused stuff that was recorded but didn't make it into the film.

Their releases for Stargate and The Matrix were botched too. Those two scores should have been 2-CD sets.

I would hate to see what they would do for Star Trek: Nemesis if they released that as a "Deluxe Edition".

Truth is, Varese's issues with Star Trek: DE are minor to me, but Star Trek: TMP needs to meet the same high standards of Intrada's Alien, FSM/Retrograde's Star Trek III and LLL's Star Trek V.

For what they are, I love the Varese releases I have (Stargate: DE, Star Trek: DE, Aliens: DE (which was done right, IMHO)), regardless of the issues.

I think the reason Varese issued a single Stargate is because what was left would have necessitated a second CD for only 10 minutes or so.

I'm sure LaLaLand, or perhaps FSM, will give TMP the release it deserves.

I think the reason Varese issued a single Stargate is because what was left would have necessitated a second CD for only 10 minutes or so.

I'm sure LaLaLand, or perhaps FSM, will give TMP the release it deserves.

I think there was a bit more than 10 minutes of music that didn't make it onto the release. With your last sentence Mark, I do agree with you on that. Even if Intrada were to release it I'm sure they would do it right as well.

Truth is, Varese's issues with Star Trek: DE are minor to me, but Star Trek: TMP needs to meet the same high standards of Intrada's Alien, FSM/Retrograde's Star Trek III and LLL's Star Trek V.

For what they are, I love the Varese releases I have (Stargate: DE, Star Trek: DE, Aliens: DE (which was done right, IMHO)), regardless of the issues.

I too have the Deluxe Editions for Stargate, Star Trek and The Matrix. By the way I do know for a fact that La-La Land tried to secure the rights for Stargate but Varèse had all ready beaten them to the punch for it. MV himself told me about that when I asked him one time in an email. I think had La-La Land been successful on getting the rights for it, it would have been a 2-CD set.

This isn't really aimed at anyone in particular, but I don't think it's fair to keep railing at Varese for some of these things. As Mark said, Stargate may have needed an extra CD for ten minutes. That would have potentially put up the price not only for the disc itself but the shipping too, which may have talked people out of sales. With Star Trek 2.0, we still don't have official confirmation on what the costs were assembling a full release, along with the choral parts. It could have been prohibitively expensive, especially with how new the film is, but people don't take that into consideration, and suddenly Varese are the worst label around. Don't forget, some people think FSM botched TWOK because they left the Nimoy narration in. I imagine some people probably think Intrada botched Alien because it doesn't have the film end title (Howard Hanson).

I get the feeling that if Varese became an immediate scapegoat because of Trek 2.0, which is crazy, especially as it was not the only high profile release to go choirless around that time (The Last Airbender). Of course, fans immediately thought Townson cheaped out, but until we get an official comment from either Giacchino or Townson or someone like Randy Spendlove, as far as I'm concerned this is speculation and should be treated as such, and not held against a release like it has been.

I don't think Varèse is the worst label around, I'm just a bit disappointed that those three particular releases weren't done right.

I do realize that it's most likely possible the choir fees for Giacchino's Star Trek would have been pretty high considering how new the film is. I still think Varèse could have afford to pay the fees.

Spartacus doesn't have the fan base that Star Trek does. If memory serves I think Star Trek's Deluxe Edition sold out in just about two months. The price factor for Spartacus is a bit pricey for just one score. I mean grant you have all that bonus stuff with it but most people are interested in just the main score itself. I've read a lot of posts that people wish they could get Spartacus but can't afford the $150 price tag.

I think that was even one month.

Speaking of Spartacus, I listened to some bits the other day and it definitely sounds like something I'd like to own. But at the same time I'm kind of afraid of its size. Some releases are like that. I'm not sure I would get a chance to familiarize myself with it to the extent I'd like to. But I'm still interested in this.

Karol

Spartacus doesn't have the fan base that Star Trek does. If memory serves I think Star Trek's Deluxe Edition sold out in just about two months. The price factor for Spartacus is a bit pricey for just one score. I mean grant you have all that bonus stuff with it but most people are interested in just the main score itself. I've read a lot of posts that people wish they could get Spartacus but can't afford the $150 price tag.

I'm talking about the cost of production. You said Townson could afford to pay the choir fees. How could you possibly make that assumption? I'm saying that Star Trek: The Deluxe Edition was released two weeks prior to the Spartacus set, which was most likely not cheap to produce.

This isn't really aimed at anyone in particular, but I don't think it's fair to keep railing at Varese for some of these things. As Mark said, Stargate may have needed an extra CD for ten minutes. That would have potentially put up the price not only for the disc itself but the shipping too, which may have talked people out of sales. With Star Trek 2.0, we still don't have official confirmation on what the costs were assembling a full release, along with the choral parts. It could have been prohibitively expensive, especially with how new the film is, but people don't take that into consideration, and suddenly Varese are the worst label around. Don't forget, some people think FSM botched TWOK because they left the Nimoy narration in. I imagine some people probably think Intrada botched Alien because it doesn't have the film end title (Howard Hanson).

I get the feeling that if Varese became an immediate scapegoat because of Trek 2.0, which is crazy, especially as it was not the only high profile release to go choirless around that time (The Last Airbender). Of course, fans immediately thought Townson cheaped out, but until we get an official comment from either Giacchino or Townson or someone like Randy Spendlove, as far as I'm concerned this is speculation and should be treated as such, and not held against a release like it has been.

Thank you Charlie.

I'm talking about the cost of production. You said Townson could afford to pay the choir fees. How could you possibly make that assumption? I'm saying that Star Trek: The Deluxe Edition was released two weeks prior to the Spartacus set, which was most likely not cheap to produce.

If I'm not mistaken, Trent did point out the Roger Feigelson said Intrada wouldn't have been able to pay the choral fees had they released it.

I'm sure they could have paid the choral fees but then we may have gotten only 20 more minutes of music.

Hell there are still people pissed at Varese for leaving the Dulcimer out of Mancini's The Thorn Birds main titles, nevermind it's a 2 disc set.

American Spectrum SACD: I got this while doing some last minute Christmas shopping (naturally I got presents to other people as well, not just myself ;) ). I think this is the only release of Williams' Escapades, the suite from Catch Me If You Can. A great rendition from Brandford Marsalis on alto saxophone, Grant Llewellyn conducting the New Carolina Symphony. And the other pieces on the album Sunset Strip by Michael Daugherty, Lions (A Dream) by Ned Rorem and Friandises by Christopher Rouse are all wonderful as well.

Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago

Is that the Tadlow LOA?

Escape from the Planet of the Apes

Fantastic score!

The most I ever spent I just did on The Fury... $81. Oof!

I once spent £60, on a 2-disc boot of "Hook". That would equate to about $75.

A CD is worth whatever you want to spend on it.

Well said.

TRON Wendy Carlos

TRON: Legacy Special Edition Daft Punk

It would be interesting to hear how you compare the two.

I picked up this cheap, weird album called Star Wars: The Ultimate Tribute. The cover credits Lalo Schifrin conducting, but more of the tracks are conducted by Bill Broughton, who is only credited on the insert. I guess the CD producers felt more people would recognize Lalo Schifrin. All John Williams music.

Finally, I have the original. I've had the CD-R copy for years, and the original has become somewhat hard to find ...

Sadly, the enhanced content of that CD didn't play on any but one of my computers. Pity, because it is a nice interview.

batman-mask-phantasm-score.jpg

And I'm loving it! It is up there with the two Elfmans and Goldenthals. :)

Karol