Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

What a nice buy, Karol, I can imagine you liking it! :) We need more of Shirley's work, she left us so early, bless her ... :( I want all three of her Final Destination scores, why did those never come out as a regular release?! :blink:

There is much more of her unreleased stuff. And some of it (I'm not all that familiar with most of her work) is really spot on. I want her Turbulence, for instance.

Karol

I remember looking for Rattle's recording of Mahler's 2nd symphony on CD years ago and then shying away from the price tag of somewhere between €20 and (closer to) €30. Yesterday, I got this for just €21:

5007212.jpg

I remember looking for Rattle's recording of Mahler's 2nd symphony on CD years ago and then shying away from the price tag of somewhere between €20 and (closer to) €30. Yesterday, I got this for just €21:

5007212.jpg

Excellent choice, Marian! I have "The Resurrection" with Dame Janet Baker, and a lot of the rest conducted by Claudio Abbado.

I actually cancelled the order, mainly because I emailed WaterTower like three times asking for a few specifications regarding the content, but they never bothered mailing back - and after the Elfman/Burton fiasco I'm fed up with badly communicated expensive limited editions. Also because it's way too expensive of course; the price should come down soon I hope. Still - lucky you!

Just arrived: finally managed to track down a proper copy of Varese's Jaws 2. Cost me £30 on Ebay, which considering the usual secondary market prices isn't bad.

Be careful! I bought my copy of Jaws 2 on ebay, and when I got it, it turned out to be a fake!

Just arrived: finally managed to track down a proper copy of Varese's Jaws 2. Cost me £30 on Ebay, which considering the usual secondary market prices isn't bad.

Be careful! I bought my copy of Jaws 2 on ebay, and when I got it, it turned out to be a fake!

I did think that for a bit. Is there any way to figure out if it's real? The inner ring has VSD-5328 1T and MFD BY JVC as well as some weird markings.

Sounds legit.

Mine has those exact markings and mine was store bought the year it was issued on CD.

Received my Intrada package.

Flesh & Blood never sounded better. Titans sounds better as well.

I actually cancelled the order, mainly because I emailed WaterTower like three times asking for a few specifications regarding the content, but they never bothered mailing back - and after the Elfman/Burton fiasco I'm fed up with badly communicated expensive limited editions. Also because it's way too expensive of course; the price should come down soon I hope. Still - lucky you!

My write-up on it is in the Deathly Hallows thread.

Got Flesh and Blood and Clash of the Titans. Was pleasantly surprised by both. The more religiously inspired stuff in Flesh is very nice, and Clash is everything Rosenthal's Lord of the Rings is not. Very magical :-)

I did an early Christmas celebration with part of my family today, and I was given The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing as well as The Music of Woody Allan Films. And I'm told there's one or two more on the way! :)

What a great family you have! :D I'm waiting anxiously for my latest SAE order (Kritzerland's Carrie etc.) but since it shipped yesterday, there's no chance of it arriving before New Year ... :( Well, I guess I should've grown accustomed to waiting by now ... :P

joey225: It's a standard double jewel case (with 3 CDs and a booklet).

Jason LeBlanc: Unfortunately, not very good. There's a huge amount of hiss, which is all the more annoying in the opening 32 seconds (piano and french horn solo), and maybe even more due to my outstanding AKG headphones with which I'm listening to the End Title as I type. Conrack is experiencing the same problem, although the hiss level is admittedly somewhat lower.

joey225: It's a standard double jewel case (with 3 CDs and a booklet).

Jason LeBlanc: Unfortunately, not very good. There's a huge amount of hiss, which is all the more annoying in the opening 32 seconds (piano and french horn solo), and maybe even more due to my outstanding AKG headphones with which I'm listening to the End Title as I type. Conrack is experiencing the same problem, although the hiss level is admittedly somewhat lower.

Is there more hiss than on the FSM then? Because it would suck if it's a step back.

Superman: The Movie double LP.

have you received it yet, and if you have, could you tell me if the 2 tracks that are missing on the CD are any different than the 2CD Rhino/FSM?

Superman: The Movie double LP.

have you received it yet, and if you have, could you tell me if the 2 tracks that are missing on the CD are any different than the 2CD Rhino/FSM?

I have received it, so I'll let you know. I just had to take the sellophane off (32 years old!).

Scored some excellent bargains from the new and used Amazon marketplace stores:

King Kong Steiner (Rhino-Sony rebrand)

War of the Worlds Williams (for 36p!)

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Goldenthal

Fierce Creatures Goldsmith

Just got the Fox set and Family Plot myself.

So far I just got to Tora, Tora, Tora on the Fox set, and man, the sound is pretty bad - consistently bad.

I don't have many of the original CDs of the music so far so I can't really compare, but I can't imagine the original releases on FSM, Intrada, etc., sound that bad.

Hmm, the FSM CD of Tora Tora Tora! sounds like a score recorded in the early 70's, granted it's stereo.

I'd hate to think the cues sound worse, especially since Varese used the FSM sources for the Goldsmith box set back in 2004.

Well, just to be clear, I haven't compared anything myself, and I think the only one I can compare it to is Planet of the Apes (but haven't done so yet). From The Omen on though, everything sounds good.

Amazing Stories: Anthology Two

Goodbye, Mr. Chips

Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn

(with $1 shipping from Movie Music)

Well, that's all the Amazing Stories' and JW musical films. The only FSM JW titles I don't have now are Poseidon Adventure/Paper Chase/Conrack and TV Omnibus compilation. Also, Outland for the ultra-completist. No plan to get those since they're way too expensive. Yay for me though.