Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Rosewood is a fantastic 180 by JW. A real highlight among his vast filmography.

I agree completely. I love this score.

Absolutely.

+1.

The Firebird (also includes "4 Etudes" and "Fireworks") - Stravinsky

I have that album. I'm not a big fan of the other works at the end, but The Firebird is absolutely fantastic. Some aspects of that recording are a little iffy for me, but it's quite good on the whole, I think.

I just finished listening to it, and I really enjoyed Firebird. I also liked Fireworks, although the 4 Etudes thing wasn't too enjoyable. The recording sounded good to me. There were a few spots where the trombones and trumpets didn't seem like they were completely together, but other than that I really enjoyed it. Firebird Suite probably has one of the most epic endings of any classical pieces I've heard.

I never use Ping! :lol:

And to think I've purchased songs based on ones that you have. BLAST you Apple for making me think that this was a good idea.

:)

I just finished listening to it, and I really enjoyed Firebird. I also liked Fireworks, although the 4 Etudes thing wasn't too enjoyable. The recording sounded good to me. There were a few spots where the trombones and trumpets didn't seem like they were completely together, but other than that I really enjoyed it. Firebird Suite probably has one of the most epic endings of any classical pieces I've heard.

Yeah, come to think of it, Fireworks is fun, too. I think my brain overgeneralized from 4 Etudes. As for the ending...YES! Those last few minutes rank right up there with my favorite Williams cues. Absolutely spectacular. I was first introduced to The Firebird through Disney's Fantasia 2000, which uses an abbreviated version of the 1919 Suite for the final segment, and that ending is just hair-raisingly good. I think the orchestration is a little better in that suite than in the full ballet, and I like that performance better, too, and it was paired with striking imagery, so that REALLY made an impression on me. I'm glad I eventually bought this album and got to know the full ballet, too. It's remarkably film-score-like, you know? The musical language is very visually evocative, even a little Mickey-Mousey at times, but not in a bad way. I've never seen the ballet and probably never will, but the music creates a lot of really interesting images in my mind in a way that most "classical" music simply doesn't.

I meant that specific ballet. I mean, I don't have any ballet plans in general, but this is one where I'm almost afraid it would ruin the music for me. I'd rather just enjoy whatever vague images my brain has concocted over the years.

Yeah, come to think of it, Fireworks is fun, too. I think my brain overgeneralized from 4 Etudes. As for the ending...YES! Those last few minutes rank right up there with my favorite Williams cues. Absolutely spectacular. I was first introduced to The Firebird through Disney's Fantasia 2000, which uses an abbreviated version of the 1919 Suite for the final segment, and that ending is just hair-raisingly good. I think the orchestration is a little better in that suite than in the full ballet, and I like that performance better, too, and it was paired with striking imagery, so that REALLY made an impression on me. I'm glad I eventually bought this album and got to know the full ballet, too. It's remarkably film-score-like, you know? The musical language is very visually evocative, even a little Mickey-Mousey at times, but not in a bad way. I've never seen the ballet and probably never will, but the music creates a lot of really interesting images in my mind in a way that most "classical" music simply doesn't.

Yeah, it is definitely very film score-esque. I can see why composers were influenced by Stravinsky. Ah, so there is a difference between "The Firebird" and "The Firebird Suite." I just assumed Fantasia 2000 massively edited the ballet. Maybe I'll get the suite sometime.

Yeah, I don't have any recordings of the suite beyond the edited version heard in Fantasia 2000, but I've studied the score, and it's somewhere intermediate between the very abbreviated (but effective, IMO) version heard in the film and the full-length ballet. And Stravinsky went back and slightly re-orchestrated some things, I believe. Incidentally, I haven't heard either of the other two suites. I should try those sometime.

Stravinsky wrote 4 different versions of The Firebird? And there's an abridged Fantasia 2000 version? Sheesh, listening to classical music can be expensive! :P

I never use Ping! :lol:

And to think I've purchased songs based on ones that you have. BLAST you Apple for making me think that this was a good idea.

:)

Well I hope you enjoyed them! I always go with Amazon if I can. I don't even remember the last song I bought on iTunes.

16683ddf7.jpg

Since I bought the sequel's score, I figured, I should get the first score....

and I like this better than the sequels score

Stravinsky wrote 4 different versions of The Firebird? And there's an abridged Fantasia 2000 version? Sheesh, listening to classical music can be expensive! :P

Hey, man, if you think that's bad, try getting into early music (pre-1700 or so). Because there's so much variety in the performance practice and reconstruction of the music, you have to buy several recordings just to understand what it IS.

:blink: Great... Although I seem to be more interested in stuff written in the 19th and 20th centuries, so hopefully I won't encounter too much of that.

Yeah, he wrote the ballet and later did three suites, one of which was cut down for the film. :P

When you mention these "suites," do they also include the piano transcriptions he wrote? I bought the Firebird solo piano transcription -- it's not bad, but the Naxos CD volume was way too low, so I boosted it on the files I ripped. I also know of a duet piano transcription.

Using my Swagbucks coupons, I bought the following from Amazon:

This recording of Shostakovich's Symphony No 10 and Ballet Suite No 4

"Carnival Overture" - Dvorak (downloaded)

"Paris brule-t-il" - Maurice Jarre (downloaded)

A couple of used CDs for 7€s:

The Golden Age of Hollywood: A compilation originally attached to BBC Music Magazine but was sold separately. Features 5 suites performed by the BBC Symphony Orchestra, Leonard Slatkin conducting:

On the Waterfront by Leonard Bernstein

Cello Concerto (from Deception) by Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Promenade from Shall We Dance by George Gershwin

Spellbound Concerto by Miklós Rózsa

and

Tristan and Isolde Fantasy from Humoresque by Franz Waxman

Fiddler on the Roof 30th Anniversary Edition by Jerry Bock and John Williams

The whole album was $1.99?!!!!?? Bloody hell. I paid $9.99 on iTunes.

Yes, genius lyrics.

I still have maggots in my scrotum.

Finally made my first Jerry Goldsmith purchase. Money has been really tight lately but I squeezed in this order:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Star Trek: Insurrection

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek: Nemesis

All together (including shipping) for only $27.75. Can't wait to start listening...

Michael Giacchino - The Family Stone

Dave Matthews Band- Live at Wrigley Field

Ahh. A fellow fan. Good deal. :up: Did you get the latest Warehouse disc? It's terrific.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (sure to make a certain member here annoyed ;))

and

Superman Returns

My DarkDel order came today.

Fringe: Season 2 - signed by Chris Tilton

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - signed by Greg Edmonson

Crysis - signed by Inon Zur

And to my pleasant surprise, it came with...

Prince Of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - signed by Penka Kouneva

Call Of Duty: Black Ops - signed by Sean Murray

:blink: Sweeeet! :D

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Which Star Trek V did you get?

I'm wondering the same. I hope you didn't get the old OST version, it's completely obsolete now since La-La Land released the full score and a properly remastered OST version with it.

I bought a Volbeat DVD from Amazon. Even though it's a live concert DVD, I consider it music because I'll rip it to MP3 before I actually watch it.

And I threw in Doctor Who: Series 5 on CD because I have Prime shipping.

Well, La-La Land's version is still available from MovieMusic.com for $34.99.

Karol

No it's not; If you click Add To Cart you'll see its out of stock.

preordered Dark of the Moon

Why would you do that to yourself?

Karol

It was still available not so long time ago. Ah well, it looks like it's not officially a collector's item. :)

Karol

Michael Giacchino - The Family Stone

Dave Matthews Band- Live at Wrigley Field

Ahh. A fellow fan. Good deal. :up: Did you get the latest Warehouse disc? It's terrific.

Yes I did. Good to have "Write a Song" and "A Dream So Real."

Karol

No it's not; If you click Add To Cart you'll see its out of stock.

preordered Dark of the Moon

Why would you do that to yourself?

Haha. Transformers soundtracks are my guilty soundtrack pleasure.