Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I'm on the fence about Predator, if it is Intrada's August 3rd release. I listened again to the Varese Cd and it sounds very good to my ears.

Why would you upgrade Krull from Supertracks to La La Land, but not upgrade Predator from Varese to Intrada?

I think my post answers the question.

So you're saying that to your ears, but Varese Predator sounds good, but to your ears, the Super Tracks Krull does not?

I was in London this week for a course, so I stopped by my favourite used CD place and got:

The Last Samurai

Mission impossible

Return of the King FYC promo (I never bought the OST due to the complete score rumours at the time, so this is a nice find)

And I'm almost trying to muster some vague enthusiasm for Predator. I'm not exactly hot on Silvestri these days though.

Picked up the Intrada disc of Alex North's 2001 from an Amazon seller for $20. Not too bad, considering it's oop.

Picked up the Intrada disc of Alex North's 2001 from an Amazon seller for $20. Not too bad, considering it's oop.

Nice find!

Thanks! I believe there's another one on Amazon for only $4 more. Again, not terrible. I've seen higher asking prices on the bay.

Thanks! I believe there's another one on Amazon for only $4 more. Again, not terrible. I've seen higher asking prices on the bay.

Yeah, for some reason eBay almost always seem to be more expensive than the Amazon marketplace.

I think that sellers on Amazon are generally more serious about selling their stuff. I rarely use eBay anymore and I used to bid on at least one CD every week.

I have a wish list all loaded into my cart on Amazon. I check it weekly and usually I'm alerted that prices have dropped on many of the CDs. If I see a tasty enough deal, I'll bite.

I finally got myself two CDs that I should have bought years ago, namely the Enguerrand-Friedrich Lühl CD and Keisuke Wakao Plays Music of John Williams, the latter from Arksquare together with the only CD release of Williams's Sinfonietta!

The Lühl CD is very, very good, yet I don't agree with all of his selections; personally I would have selected more piano-friendly cues (for example: for ET, adapt the end credits for piano instead). Too much of it are the classic themes. The Scherzo is brilliant though!

Keisuke Wakao Plays Music of John Williams

Holy crap, I've never seen that retail anywhere (I only have it on MP3).

I spotted it on Arksquare some time ago (and I believe everybody at this forum who got this throughout the years got it from there) but wanted to wait until the euro was doing somewhat better again against the dollar :( I've looked for it everywhere too, and this is the only place where I found it.

I can't recommend this album enough by the way.

Plus, as I said, you can even the price out by including the Sinfonietta CD!

Nice find!

I recently ordered Predator (Intrada) and Krull.

Soon I hope to order Batman, Outland, and one of the FSM John Williams 60s/70s titles I don't own yet

I ordered Angela's Ashes from the UK Amazon. It's the most recent JW score that I don't own.

Does ordering it from Amazon UK ensure it's the version without narration?

You can buy either an import from the USA, with the greyer cover released by Sony, or you can get the non-import version with the browner cover, released by Universal.

God help me. I got a nice gainsharing check this quarter and I'm beginning to blow it all on soundtracks. I just took the plunge on many CDs I've left in my "want list" for years in some cases. My first foray into City of Prague is on the way en masse, including the 40 years set, Indy, SW, Harry Potter and their '06 JW CD. After previewing each of these, I don't think I'll be disappointed or anything (but my expectations aren't exceptionally high). But we'll see, or hear, anyway. Also got Music of America, Denver Brass, Fiddler on the Roof 30th and American Spectrum (for Catch Me If You Can)! This was from Barnes and Noble with free shipping. We'll see how that goes. I hadn't dealt with them in a LONG time, not since a bad experience pre-ordering the Indy box set and them not having it on release day. My boss also threw me a $25 iTunes gift card for some other thing I did this week, but I honestly don't think I'm ever going to use it. He should have given it to me before I learned there were JW iTunes exclusive tracks.

I just ordered Inception from Barnes and Noble, and the shipping was fine. It actually got here a day before the expected arrival date.

I ordered Angela's Ashes from the UK Amazon. It's the most recent JW score that I don't own.

Just make sure the label is Decca.

Spartacus - Alex North

This set is delicious! I don't want to open the book in fear of creasing the binding.

Unfortunately this was the only package waiting for me when I got home from LA. It's still fucking awesome, but I was expecting a pile of bubble mailers, still waiting for Batman and Predator.

So I'm browsing iTunes and I found that a recording of "We're Lookin' Good" is actually available by Corps of Royal Engineers Band. It's a suite titled "John Williams Evening at Pops: We're Looking Good/The Cowboys/The Dance of the Witches/Olympic Fanfare and Theme". I'm thinking I need this. Never knew it existed before tonight.

Wow thanks for the heads up! I'm purchasing it now.

Recent purchases from iTunes:

"John Williams Evening at Pops: We're Looking Good/The Cowboys/The Dance of the Witches/Olympic Fanfare and Theme"

"You Make Me Feel So Young" (Boston Pops - Night and Day)

"Music of the Night" (Piano Music: Soothing Songs)

"Pops on the March" (I Love a Parade)

"Theme from Always" (Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CD)

"Out to Sea/The Shark Cage Fugue" (Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CD)

"Hunting Wabbits" (Big Phat Band - XXL)

Listening to it right now...it's sort of an awkward arrangement of the other stuff, but it's still good. I like the new instrumentation also. The orchestra isn't amazing but isn't bad either.

Interesting! But could you guys put that kind of info in a separate thread perhaps? I'm sure that there's an old thread on We're Looking Good that you can bump with the new news. Here it always gets kind of drowned. Your iTunes discoveries deserve a lot more.

Thanks,

The Thread Police

Just make sure the label is Decca.

Cool. Thanks guys. :|

From iTunes:

Hook suite - Hollywood Flute. Highly recommended if you're a fan of Hook. I'm going to get the CD.

The Disaster Movie Suite (Earthquake/Towering Inferno/Jaws) - Henry Mancini. Very cool recording. I didn't even know this existed until recently. I'll probably grab the CD for dirt cheap at some point.

Precious Moments from Home Alone - Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops. This is a great arrangement! I'm not sure if it's Williams' or what, but it's wonderful. Recommended if you're a fan of Home Alone.

What themes are included in the Precious Moments arrangement?

It opens with We Wish You a Merry Christmas end title and then it segues into a unique rendition of Somewhere in My Memory. At least, it sounds unique to me.

Just picked up The Missouri Breaks at FYE for about 4 bucks. Looks to be the original release. Can anyone tell me if the sound is identical to the newer Varese Sarabande release? The track titles are the same.

My MovieMusic order arrived yesterday with Krull, Batman, and A Guide for the Married Man.

Predator arrived today and I'm still drowning in 6 discs of Spartacus.

*trying not to pass out from overdose*

Just picked up The Missouri Breaks at FYE for about 4 bucks. Looks to be the original release. Can anyone tell me if the sound is identical to the newer Varese Sarabande release? The track titles are the same.

The sound should be almost identical. I don't think Varese did much tweaking with some of scores they reissued from the Ryko catalogue.

I also got a copy of Missouri Breaks from FYE for dirt cheap last year. They had copies at several locations. It was the older version though. I guess that score gets dumped at FYEs.

The sound should be almost identical. I don't think Varese did much tweaking with some of scores they reissued from the Ryko catalogue.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I went to my CD store and bought:

The Sound of Music 35th Anniversary 2 Disc Expansion

The Prince of Egypt (OST)

The Prince of Egypt: Collector's Edition

I noticed there were two Zimmer tracks on the Collector's Edition that aren't on the OST. I figured it'd cost 2 bucks to buy them on iTunes, and the CD cost 1.95, so I decided to get it. Am I correct in thinking I now own all the officially released music that Zimmer wrote for the film?

I haven't heard it yet. Nor have I heard any positives about it. Is it that bad?

It has a twangy Western sound. The sort of thing you could expect to hear while strolling through Frontierland. But it's not bad. You can't go wrong for a couple bucks.

Finally purchased LaLaLand's Batman release. Looking forward to it--I don't care how bad people say the sound quality is, it's sure to be better than the DVD rip I've been listening to all this time.