Star Wars in 3D starting 2012 (Update: AOTC and ROTS cancelled)

ST-321

That's it, Dancing Lock of Death time. Everything summed up perfectly in one sentence. ;)

:lock2:"Did someone call me?"

Uni - though my October post still basically sums up the way I feel about the prequels, I somehow agree with everything you said - just not to the same degree as you. The C.S. Lewis stuff was brilliant (as always). Call me a Musketeers fan, I guess (ironic, since The Three Musketeers is one of my least favorite stories).

I have to take the optimistic view of these films - they have already been made, there's nothing I can do to change them. So I just ignore the bad stuff and soak up the good.

Seeing all the Star Wars films in theatres again will be exciting. Hearing the applause as the Lucasfilm logo appears is most refreshing.

I never saw a SW film on a theather except TPM (I was seven, and I know I was there because I've been told. I can't rememember any of it).

You can't remember when you were 7?

No, I can't remember watching the film. And I just remembered I also watched Episode III at the cinema. I guess that's how little impact the prequel trilogy had on me at the moment, literally. Maybe with the exception of Episode II, because I rented it on 2002, I watched it the two times and I remember drawing the Geonosis battle at school.

On the other hand, I remember loving the OT since... always :yes: I had no idea how it was when I first saw them, it's like they always were there.

Despite my feelings on Lucas and the prequels, I would absolutely love the chance to see the original trilogy in a cinema. The 3D aspect unfortunately has turned me off the idea. I just can't watch 3D, it gives me headaches and eye strain.

I never saw a SW film on a theather except TPM (I was seven, and I know I was there because I've been told. I can't rememember any of it).

You can't remember when you were 7?

No, I can't remember watching the film.

Weren't you the core audience Lucas was trying to impress?

Seeing all the Star Wars films in theatres again will be exciting. Hearing the applause as the Lucasfilm logo appears is most refreshing.

That's as bad as a room of people applauding when Steve Jobs invents HDMI.

When I saw Spidey 3, the combination of the Marvel logo and Elfman's brilliant theme had the cinema in a quiet awe.

Despite my feelings on Lucas and the prequels, I would absolutely love the chance to see the original trilogy in a cinema. The 3D aspect unfortunately has turned me off the idea. I just can't watch 3D, it gives me headaches and eye strain.

And that's part of the problem Lucas can't grasp. Most people would just be happy to see the original trilogy as it was in 1977, 1980 & 1983 on the big screen again.

And that's part of the problem Lucas can't grasp. Most people would just be happy to see the original trilogy as it was in 1977, 1980 & 1983 on the big screen again.

I would change 'Most' with 'some' and maybe 'many' and you have the reason why he doesnt bother :P

I'd go as far as to say that a release of the original versions in theaters would bring in a larger audience than the 3D versions as well.

I see Luke rolling his eyes but there are some legitimate complaints about 3D. It's hard for me to sit through more than an hour of 3D. It's hard on the eyes. I candle handle a short 45 minute IMAX film but even during Toy Story 3 my eyes were bothering me. I had to look away or take off my glasses quite a bit after the first 45 minutes or so.

Reading Mark's post has given me a bit of appreciation for those who genuinely struggle with the format. I'd avoid 3D movies completely if it actually caused me discomfort. So far, it hasn't.

That's one the reasons why I'm curious to see how well 3D TV turns out. It's a lot easier to watch it on a big screen compared to a smaller one.

I've tried the demo models on the 50 inch HDTV screen and I would have a headache trying to sit thru an evening of 3D TV.

I see Luke rolling his eyes but there are some legitimate complaints about 3D.

Sure.

It's not just a Lucas idea though.

Many people have already seen the SW Films, you have to add some new feature to re-release it on theaters to appeal to the most people.

A new transfer is all you need. I.E. The Exorcist, or Back To The Future, or the upcoming Taxi Driver and A Clockwork Orange. They're classics for a reason. Giving people a chance to see it in theaters, either again or for the first time, is better than fucking it up eighty times over.

So when our four heroes escape into the trash compactor on the Death Star, the theater's trash falls onto the patrons?

Again, Luke may roll his eyes, but again, I'll pass.

I'm most looking forward to Star Wars Smell 'o Vision theatre re-release in 2019.

Yup. I can't wait for the trash compactor or the bowels of the space slug scenes.

Karol

A new transfer is all you need. I.E. The Exorcist, or Back To The Future, or the upcoming Taxi Driver and A Clockwork Orange. They're classics for a reason. Giving people a chance to see it in theaters, either again or for the first time, is better than fucking it up eighty times over.

How many people saw the BTTF re-release? I'll bet you it won't match the 100-200 million (or who knows how much, really) each Star Wars flick could make in re-release. I'll be seeing all six. Lucas knows how to make a re-release into an event.

I'm most looking forward to Star Wars Smell 'o Vision theatre re-release in 2019.

Yup. I can't wait for the trash compactor or the bowels of the space slug scenes.

Karol

At last we'll be able to smell Chewie's pits during the chess game.

And sweaty Leia in the metal bikini getting dripped on by Jabba sweat in the hot desert.

Or is that the fat girl in the row behind me in the theater.

Nowadays, it's impossible to find a family-friendly kids' movie that isn't in 3D. Because 3D makes her nauseous, my Wife can no longer go to the cinema with our daughter.

Again, Luke may roll his eyes, but again, I'll pass.

my rolleyes was for the futility of the 'boycott'

Many people wont go, but it wont really make a difference. it will be profitable for lucas anyway.

The exorcist was a director's cut, more bloody or creepy with was the main selling point IRRC

BTTF was not released here, and i think it was only a US thing.

I think i remember alien being re-released in theaters some few years back, but again the director's cut wasnt it>?

Clockwork was released recenlty? it came and went in few theaters...

ET was a 'special edition' too.

Nowadays, it's impossible to find a family-friendly kids' movie that isn't in 3D. Because 3D makes her nauseous, my Wife can no longer go to the cinema with our daughter.

I can easily find 2D showings of 3D movies...

That is one of the reasons. The other thing is that the characters are shouting and screaming all the time in these films. This is so annoying. That's why I like the first 30 minutes of Wall-E so much.

Karol

I can easily find 2D showings of 3D movies...

gahoole was 3d only, at least here.

Annoying becuase i didnt need to watch (and pay) that in 3d...

That is one of the reasons. The other thing is that the characters are shouting and screaming all the time in these films. This is so annoying. That's why I like the first 30 minutes of Wall-E so much.

Karol

:lol:

Do they have a lot of megaplexes in Europe? Maybe that's the issue. Some releases in the U.S. have 3 versions playing in one complex - 3D, Imax, or 2D.

Do they have a lot of megaplexes in Europe? Maybe that's the issue. Some releases in the U.S. have 3 versions playing in one complex - 3D, Imax, or 2D.

Here IMAX is very rare.

But we have alot of multi screen theaters (if that is what a megaplex means) In fact most ol' one screen theaters are closing.

The thing is that nowadays movies are released in big bunchs so add to them european and spanish movies and you have not enought screen to show several versions of the film.

Two- even three screens per famous film is normal, mind you.

Here IMAX is very rare.

But we have alot of multi screen theaters (if that is what a megaplex means) In fact most ol' one screen theaters are closing.

The thing is that nowadays movies are released in big bunchs so add to them european and spanish movies and you have not enought screen to show several versions of the film.

Two- even three screens per famous film is normal, mind you.

Now it makes sense to me why so many people complain about 3D. I guess that's the price you have to pay for having access to local/European films. It's a rare theater in the U.S. that will play anything other than the mainstream, cash cow, mass-produced type movies.

It's a rare theater in the U.S. that will play anything other than the mainstream, cash cow, mass-produced type movies.

Yep. Very few foreign films, as well. Plenty of room for them to show 2D and 3D versions of the same mainstream American flicks.

3D gives me a headache as well, and I don't appreciate having to pay extra for the headache. It wouldn't be so bad if they made 2D movies as expensive as 3D movies. Then I'd be stuck with the surcharge either way. As it stands, I would rather wait for 2D in the cheapo theater or wait for rental.

The bigger cities have multi-screen theatres that show the art house / indie / foreign films.

You're mostly going to find IMAX theatres in larger cities as well, or at museums and zoos, depending on the size and location.

The exorcist was a director's cut, more bloody or creepy with was the main selling point IRRC

BTTF was not released here, and i think it was only a US thing.

I think i remember alien being re-released in theaters some few years back, but again the director's cut wasnt it>?

Clockwork was released recenlty? it came and went in few theaters...

ET was a 'special edition' too.

As it says in my original post, A Clockwork Orange and Taxi Driver have yet to be rereleased. AMC does this often now, where they screen new digital transfers of old films on the Sony 4K. The Exorcist was rereleased a looong time ago, but it just happened again a few months ago. The point is, there doesn't need to be anything new for people to go see it. The AFI Silver down here does this every week. They only have 4 or 5 screens I believe, and two are usually dedicated to older films. Want to see The Big Lebowski or Jaws or Psycho on the big screen? Head to AFI.

There's no doubt that you can find screenings of older films. But the fact remains, Lucas is interested in making a LOT of money, not just giving people the opportunity to see his films on the big screen. To draw a billion-dollar crowd, you need gimmicks. For better or for worse (depending on your opinion of the technology), that's what 3D is.

There's a big difference between rereleasing a film on 500 screens across the US and 3000 screens. Star Wars was a very big release back in 1997 and despite the bad taste in many's mouths from the prequels and the alterations, people will still go see it for whatever reason. Blind fanboyism I suppose, not that anybody on this site would know anything about that :rolleyes:.

There's a big difference between rereleasing a film on 500 screens across the US and 3000 screens. Star Wars was a very big release back in 1997 and despite the bad taste in many's mouths from the prequels and the alterations, people will still go see it for whatever reason. Blind fanboyism I suppose, not that anybody on this site would know anything about that :rolleyes:.

Not completely true.

The re-release was a success back in 1997 because people didn't yet completely grasp the fact that the George Lucas who made Star Wars and Raiders was gone and that the George Lucas who made Willow and Howard The Duck was behind the special editions.

In 1997, most people regarded 'Star Wars' as a special, one of a kind franchise. It had a certain class and there was something magical about it even. In a way, it stood above criticism.

The prequels - and to a lesser extent the SE - changed the way people define the Star Wars franchise. It has become very tainted and I don't think the 3D re-releases will make a significant amount of money because of this. I think they will perform poorly at the box office, although I don't know what the expectations are to be honest.

People are simply fed up with Star Wars. Well, fed up with Clone Wars, bad acting, digital characters and enviroments, bad writing, Jar Jar, Greedo shooting first, Hayden in ROTJ, and all that shit.

I for one will always cherish the franchise as it was until 1997. I still love the original versions of the OT and they have influenced me tremendously. But it takes some effort, 'cause I would rather pop in an old VHS than having to see Darth Vader wield a pink lightsaber or having to listen to Jedi Rocks...

I don't think people are fed up at all. Nerds are, but I think the general public perception of the OT is still somewhat religious, despite the changes (which again the nerds are more obsessed with than anyone else). For example, the six films were on UKTV recently, and every time they were on they were trending on Twitter, and not just because of angry nerds.

The only stumbling block is that they're starting with the prequels. But there are legions of SW fans who are willing to ignore the terrible parts for the actiony parts (like the "podrace defence"), not to mention a lot of folks who will take their kids who have grown up on Clone Wars and who find characters like Jar Jar funny. Also, I think there'll be parents (like myself) who will be using this release to introduce their child to SW.

In terms of box office, I'm not sure I really trust anyone after Transformers 2 made 400m.

I don't think people are fed up at all. Nerds are, but I think the general public perception of the OT is still somewhat religious, despite the changes (which again the nerds are more obsessed with than anyone else). For example, the six films were on UKTV recently, and every time they were on they were trending on Twitter, and not just because of angry nerds.

The only stumbling block is that they're starting with the prequels. But there are legions of SW fans who are willing to ignore the terrible parts for the actiony parts (like the "podrace defence"), not to mention a lot of folks who will take their kids who have grown up on Clone Wars and who find characters like Jar Jar funny. Also, I think there'll be parents (like myself) who will be using this release to introduce their child to SW.

In terms of box office, I'm not sure I really trust anyone after Transformers 2 made 400m.

For a long time I thought like you do, that only the 'fanboyish nerds' have problems with the SE and the Prequels, and that the general public doesn't care or doesn't notice a CGI Sy Snootless in ROTJ or the poorly written romance scenes in AOTC.

The truth is however that SW has gotten a bad/weaker reputation with a much broader part of the filmgoing public.

The extremely disappointing gross of The Clone Wars animated feature is - IMO - a direct result of this. Even the kids seemed fed-up.

And about Transformers 2: the box office performance remains a complete mystery... ;)

For a long time I thought like you do

Obi-Wan once thought as you do...

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe that the public is aware of how terrible the prequels are, but the OT I think still has its reputation reasonably intact, which is why I'm kind of baffled they went with TPM first. Perhaps they are counting on the fans thinking that they won't do ROTS/the OT unless the first two are a success, which is probably on the money.