What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Do you perhaps mean the Werner Herzog version, with the Popol Vuh score?

No, I'm familiar with that one. It was one of the countless scores written for the Murnau, silent version. I've listened to all the versions I could find, with no success

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It remains Alan Williams' best score to date. Amazing that he wrote it only some 4 years into his career, and he's never been able to top it since, even though there's a lot of great stuff on his resume - especially all the nature documentaries.

I also wonder if a recurrent theme (for example in "Flight", or in the title theme) was used as a temp track for James Newton Howard's "The Egg Travels" from DINOSAUR.

Thought I'd put Amazon on and would agree with the above. Actually, listening to the End Credits, it's more like Waterworld. But still JNH. Also a bit of a Mission vibe in the choral arrangements at times too. I thought this was one of those scores that was almost entirely temp track variations, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe thinking of another Alan Williams score...

Yea, "To Manhattan" is the first 4 minutes of the track, then it switches to a cue called "The Reading Room" for the last 2 1/2 minutes

1 hour ago, Romão said:

No, I'm familiar with that one. It was one of the countless scores written for the Murnau, silent version. I've listened to all the versions I could find, with no success

Ah. Well, that's a different story. It's a bit like searching for the needle in the haystack. That film has been "scored" by anything from local artists playing it live at the Cinemateque to more established names actually recording it for album. 

15 minutes ago, AC1 said:

R-1556436-1228147549.jpeg.jpg

Haven't listened to it for 10 years or so. I especially enjoyed 'The Mecha World' (that brass!) and the sad playfulness of  'Hide And Seek'. 

It's one of the greatest opening tracks of any John Williams album assembly. Any version of AI should always open with this track

U-Boats: The Wolfpack (Christopher Young) - Best fake Jerry Goldsmith score ever ;-) Good fun, action scoring. Shame the sound field is a bit narrow, but otherwise a nice ballsy performance too.

Any other suggestions of good fake Jerry?! He doesn't get ripped off nearly enough as JW... (I'm looking beyond early James Horner here).

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

U-Boats: The Wolfpack (Christopher Young) - Best fake Jerry Goldsmith score ever ;-) Good fun, action scoring. Shame the sound field is a bit narrow, but otherwise a nice ballsy performance too.

Any other suggestions of good fake Jerry?! He doesn't get ripped off nearly enough as JW... (I'm looking beyond early James Horner here).

Stick with Young. Parts of Hard Rain have a strong Goldsmith touch.

18 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Stick with Young. Parts of Hard Rain have a strong Goldsmith touch.

Always enjoyed that but will hold out listening again until I get the new expanded release. Good call though.

Currently on the Frontiers compilation Jerry conducted during his stint doing various re-recordings with the RSNO for Varese. I have a soft spot for this album as a decent collection of his sci-fi scores although always feels a bit insubstantial somehow. The performances are decent but a bit boomy in places plus some tracks miss the synths (Total Recall in particular). Compared to the aforementioned Tadlow selection it’s an enjoyable canter through his sci-fi scoring but does make you wish he’d had the fame and leeway to record more extensive compilations like JW does.

I discovered many new scores since the last months, but Shawshank Redemption hold a very special place among those new discoveries! 🥰🥰🥰

Ghost in the Shell by Balfe and Mansell

It's nice. not great but nice to listen (specially the Main Theme from the first part of the End Credits)

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I discovered many new scores since the last months, but Shawshank Redemption hold a very special place among those new discoveries! 🥰🥰🥰

I'll have to give this one a try. Usually not much of a fan of Newman's work...

My understanding is that Clint Mansell was the original composer, recorded his entire score, the studio basically rejected it and brought in Balfe to do a new score, but there wasn't enough time to replace everything so some Mansell bits still remain.

I hadn't realize any of Mansell's work was on the OST album, I thought it was all Balfe, and Mansell's was completely unreleased

Sort of, but the OST Album for that has Tyler and Elfman's stuff both on it

I'm pretty sure the GITS album is just Balfe's, and Mansell's is completely unreleased

This is how Balfe released it:

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/mE7SZlJQeA

https://www.discogs.com/Lorne-Balfe-Ghost-In-The-Shell/release/11448328

EDIT: Woah, just came across this google doc with tons of info

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XqoP4DeB74BlxyRogXeO2c76gRQSVBs5yWyTm_aZNqo

FWIW that "Hybrid Soldier" guy says that the released album is only new Balfe cues, and even the Mansell music remaining in the final film was re-recorded by Balfe

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&threadID=117489&archive=0

(final post in the thread)

So indeed it seems Mansell's score is completely unreleased

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which release do you prefer - OST or expanded?

Since two days I listen to my fake OST playlist reproduction, tonight I'll go through the whole score as presented on the first CD of the Expanded set

I love the included source songs on the OST (I was already a connoisseur of the Ink Spots, and Hank Williams).

Catch Me If You Can by John Williams

Simply one of the maestro finest! I wish they release an expanded edition for its 20th anniversary. The original album is a too short but luckily there is the Escapades for Saxo as a little encore...

I don't know Schifrin, surely because he's still alive!

Geez, I realized today that I classified my James Newton Howard CDs in the "N" section. :blush2:

Oooh, I'd love a 20th edition of CMIYC, too!  Someone I know recently went through the sheet music and figured out where all the little album inserts and openings/endings are (and repeated music), and just how much music there is that isn't on the OST album.  I'm sure a new presentation would be pretty cool!

I've seen the film twice now but didn't pay terribly close attention to the music in it either time

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've seen the film twice now but didn't pay terribly close attention to the music in it either time

I have the same issue with War of the Worlds and Minority Report. It was at the third screening that I've started to pay attention to Williams' score. I guess sometimes when the movie is too good paying attention to the music becomes harder. ;)

On 2/6/2021 at 11:28 AM, filmmusic said:

Right now I'm in a non-orchestral moden-pop mood, because I may write the music for a short film and i need something similar, so I listened to Elfman's Silver Linings Playbook.

Although it's simple (well not so simple since I don't know how to write the guitars and percussion loops), I love this score. It's melancholic and optimistic at the same time.

If anyone has any similar recommendations, please I'd like to hear them.

Going back awhile to reply to this post.

You can keep it to Elfman for a while, in scores such as RESTLESS, PROMISED LAND, TAKING WOODSTOCK, MILK, TULIP FEVER, DON'T WORRY HE WON'T GET FAR ON FOOT or the two Morris documentaries STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE and THE UNKNOWN KNOWN. There's some neat post-rock inspiration in THE KINGDOM and THE NEXT THREE DAYS (think Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky).

Beyond Elfman, there's an endless list of recommendations within (more or less) the same style. Check out, for example, PEOPLE LIKE US, HOPE GAP, THE FAREWELL, BLANCHE COMME NEIGE, I LOST MY BODY, BROTHERS, LES MISERABLES (the Murphy version), TRISTESSE CLUB, THE SPECTACULAR NOW, WISH I WAS HERE, THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY. The degree to which it fits your criteria may vary. I've decided to omit scores in a more electronic idiom, at least partly, since it was the pop/guitar/indie/exploratory orchestral idiom you seemed more interested in.

Good luck with your (possible) assignment!

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

Since two days I listen to my fake OST playlist reproduction, tonight I'll go through the whole score as presented on the first CD of the Expanded set

I love the included source songs on the OST (I was already a connoisseur of the Ink Spots, and Hank Williams).

@Jurassic Shark I've listened to the whole score, I've liked it too, but the OST program remains a very satisfactory listening experience hard to beat. Newman's music is not particularly depicting the era of the action (40s to 60s) so the two songs helps to return down to earth a bit. Next thing I will try, is the complete score, with the 3 sources clues included, so I think it will be perfect!

I bought the expansion a while back, and I think this weekend will be a good time to listen to it. I've listened to the OST earlier, and while I never purchase it, it did have some highlights. 

Songs from the era of the film can in general be a great way of discovering "new" music, such as Frank Sinatra's perfect Capitol recording of Come Fly With Me on the CMIYC OST, Billie Holiday's unbeatable performance of Pennies from Heaven on Angela's Ashes, and the fantastic re-recordings of 30s swing music on Swing Kids.

1917 (OST + FYC) by Thomas Newman

I've never understand why this score has been so popular, I find the OST presentation rather too long and quite boring (only the tracks Night Window and Sixteen Hundred Men did get my full attention). But today I've decided to give it another shot with the FYC presentation which is a lot more interresting. There is less music here but the journey is quite a different, more chaotic than the OST album which I found pretty unpolished and unattractive.

1917 is on my wishlist... movie and score. But it's a war movie... so I'm not so rushed...

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Billie Holiday's unbeatable performance of Pennies from Heaven on Angela's Ashes

That's another great example of an OST that works very well with the old songs included.

I'm currently listenning to the Abominable FYC presentation and I've just notice that the musical accompaniment at 0:40 of Burnish Displeased (or Burnish for the regular ost) is quite similar to the Godzilla 2 main title. Watch out for a second monster!

Spoiler