What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Just now, Jay said:

How good or bad a movie is doesn't really relate to how good or bad a score is

Indeed, but it influence of the popularity of it.

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

Danny Elfman - Red Dragon

Heh, I guess I picked this up used from Amoeba Records because it had its $1.99 price stickers still on it!

Well, I loved this!  A thrilling and spooky score.  Great stuff!

Which Amoeba store?

Hey @JayI just read that you are from Mass, in your local news did they talk about Québec and the New England Clean Energy Connect project recently? It made the news here in Québec, because the project was finally accepted.

image.png

Predator 2 by Alan Silvestri

Well I don't really know what to think about this one. I kinda enjoy listening to it even if at the end there were nothing really memorable.

Not sure that I always understand Silvestri's scores as it's not the first time that I feel this way with his music.

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

Hey @JayI just read that you are from Mass, in your local news did they talk about Québec and the New England Clean Energy Connect project recently? It made the news here in Québec, because the project was finally accepted.

image.png

No idea, we don't watch television news any more

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Predator 2 by Alan Silvestri

Well I don't really know what to think about this one. I kinda enjoy listening to it even if at the end there were nothing really memorable.

Not sure that I always understand Silvestri's scores as it's not the first time that I feel this way with his music.

I think it's brilliant and super fun, but I wouldn't say I loved it after 1 listen either.

You should also know that there was a mastering error when the made the original OST album that distorted the sound, and they never fixed it.  The Varese DE was a significant upgrade in sound quality - and I personally think the complete program plays better than the OST program, too (the OST also omitted overlays that beefed up a number of tracks to make them much more exciting)

Well I actually listened the Deluxe Edition. It has great tracks of course (I find particularly funny the Wild Predator Voices track :lol:) but after I finnished it I felt like something was missing. Like if I have nothing to  hang on to, no real theme.

I guess I just will have to listen to it again later! :mrgreen:

With the depressing post from Joe Kraemer I thought I should give his Way of the Gun a listen. I guess I assumed it was a western (Hour of the Gun!), but still a well written thriller with some solid thematic material that weirdly reminded me of Rey's Theme at times!

Bernard Herrmann - The Devil & Daniel Webster Suite (Sedares) 

Bernard Herrmann - Jane Eyre (Adriano)

Bernard Herrmann - North by Northwest (conducted by the composer, 2012 expanded release)

58 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Bernard Herrmann - North by Northwest (conducted by the composer, 2012 expanded release)

I'll be honest, although the sound is very okay for a 1961 score, it doesn't work for me. I'll get the McNeely re-recording, which I'm currently listening in Spotify.

The Final Conflict (Deluxe Edition) by Jerry Goldsmith

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I'll be honest, although the sound is very okay for a 1961 score, it doesn't work for me. I'll get the McNeely re-recording, which I'm currently listening in Spotify.

I also prefer usually to listen the re-recording of those old scores (specially the McNeely's Psycho and the one from Prague for Lawrence of Arabia). I found that after the 70's it's almost always okay while before... well it depends a lot of the recording!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Jerry Goldsmith - Mulan OST (the score part) :love2:

I'm live on zoom, come chat!

I still haven't listen to this score, feel a bit ashamed about it...:shakehead:

I'll have to remedy this...

Maybe another time for zoom it's getting late here in France...

I guess so. WOTW is kind of niche and probably not in most Williams fans top 30 scores from him. But Minority Report is pretty great and Far and Away is pretty easy to enjoy

Agreed. Although an expanded edition of Born on the Fourth of July would be great to fullfil the John Williams Tom Cruise collection...

Maybe this year in an Oliver Stone Collection. Fingers crossed!

Still in John Barry mood. Smooth, jazzy, lush!

Just created this compilation with selections and OSTs from 1969 to 1995.

Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST album)

I like this score!  I absolutely didn't when it came out; It was not the Elfman I wanted at all.  I think other than the Oakenfold track I didn't even really listen to it again for years.  The LLL expansion was still a bit too early for me to want to revisit it (but I did pick it up - maybe I'll open it soon!)

Today I randomly grabbed the old OST album off my pile of physical CDs to listen to and damn it hit the spot - the percussion is fun!  The tracks with "Main title" or "ape suite" in them where the highlights but the whole album had a nice flow.

Since I've introduced so many new composers in my CD collection lately (Barry, Elfman, Goldsmith, Herrmann, Horner, Trevor Jones, Elliot Goldenthal, Thomas Newman, James Newton Howard, Shaiman, Shore, Silvestri)...

Well, I have less time to listen to JW, it's mathematical. :pat:

Yeah well I'm about to change that too. I'm thinking to add some Goldsmith to it and perhaps a bit of Horner too (got to say the 25th Anniversary Casper Edition seems nice)! :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Since I've introduced so many new composers in my CD collection lately (Barry, Elfman, Goldsmith, Herrmann, Horner, Trevor Jones, Elliot Goldenthal, Thomas Newman, James Newton Howard, Shaiman, Shore, Silvestri)...

Well, I have less time to listen to JW, it's mathematical. :pat:

Variety is the spice of life

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal

It's terrific! I didn't remember that this score is that good. In my opinion, it sits proudly alongside Elfman's Bat-scores as the best Bat-music ever written for films.

Yea!  I was never into that score at all in the 90s, but ever since the LLL expansion I love it and can't believe I went so long without enjoying it

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea!  I was never into that score at all in the 90s, but ever since the LLL expansion I love it and can't believe I went so long without enjoying it

What do you think of the suite on Hollywood '95?

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Yeah well I'm about to change that too. I'm thinking to add some Goldsmith to it and perhaps a bit of Horner too (got to say the 25th Anniversary Casper Edition seems nice)! :mrgreen:

If you want to discover some rather unique scores, I'd like to recommend Roy Budd's retrospective score to The Phantom of the Opera (film 1925, score 1993), and Stephen Oliver's score to Lady Jane (1986).

I remember liking it, but I don't think I've listened to that CD since the 90s

It's on my pile of discs to get to this year

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If you want to discover some rather unique scores, I'd like to recommend Roy Budd's retrospective score to The Phantom of the Opera (film 1925, score 1993), and Stephen Oliver's score to Lady Jane (1986).

Well I'll have to try those. Thanks for the suggestion! ;)

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you think of the suite on Hollywood '95?

I know you didn't ask me(!), but the I thought the Batman Forever suite on Hollywood 95 was terrific, then again that whole album is terrific, the best of the three they did in that series. I think that comes from (or was later included on, not sure of the timing) Varese's Batman Trilogy album, which features fine suites of the two Elfman scores, plus a fun version of the original TV show theme. Well worth picking up as a good selection of highlights, well performed (same goes for their Alien Trilogy album which is from a similar vintage).

36 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I know you didn't ask me(!), but the I thought the Batman Forever suite on Hollywood 95 was terrific, then again that whole album is terrific, the best of the three they did in that series. I think that comes from (or was later included on, not sure of the timing) Varese's Batman Trilogy album, which features fine suites of the two Elfman scores, plus a fun version of the original TV show theme. Well worth picking up as a good selection of highlights, well performed (same goes for their Alien Trilogy album which is from a similar vintage).

Yeah, Hollywood '95 is the only one of the three I found worth getting. When listening to Hollywood '94 I'm constantly thinking the original performances are better. Can't remember how '96 is.

I've been thinking about getting the Alien trilogy album, as the complete scores (or OSTs) are too much to me.

Hollywood '96 is pretty cool because it features an arrangement of the M:I theme done by Silvestri, and recordings of cues from Twister and Independence Day that were edited down on their OST albums (so longer here)

I don't remember anything else about it though

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal

It's terrific! I didn't remember that this score is that good. In my opinion, it sits proudly alongside Elfman's Bat-scores as the best Bat-music ever written for films.

I think movie's reputation has dragged the score down. It's absolutely terrific. No superhero score in the 2000's can touch it. Only Elfman's Batman scores, Williams' Superman and Goldsmith's The Shadow are in the same league

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, Hollywood '95 is the only one of the three I found worth getting. When listening to Hollywood '94 I'm constantly thinking the original performances are better. Can't remember how '96 is.

I've been thinking about getting the Alien trilogy album, as the complete scores (or OSTs) are too much to me.

Agree that 94 is weaker, some of the performances aren’t great in places (mainly Jurassic Park) although most are pretty decent. Nice sounding versions of The Shadow, True Lies and Maverick though. The latter I think is a very underrated Randy Newman effort. Plus McNeely sneaking in a track from Squanto. But the Seattle players aren’t as strong as the Scots here.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hollywood '96 is pretty cool because it features an arrangement of the M:I theme done by Silvestri, recordings of cues from Twister and Independence Day that were edited down on their OST albums (so longer here)

I don't remember anything else about it though

Those longer versions were interesting prior to the expanded release but the performances good in any event. It also has a barnstorming performance of (i think) Sanctuary from Menken’s Hunchback. One of his finest score cues. I think the actual music on this album isn’t as good otherwise. Good but not in the same league as on 95 which was really a banner year (and, funnily enough, a year JW didn’t score anything!)

1 hour ago, Romão said:

I think movie's reputation has dragged the score down. It's absolutely terrific. No superhero score in the 2000's can touch it. Only Elfman's Batman scores, Williams' Superman and Goldsmith's The Shadow are in the same league

It's great.

There is nothing wrong with the film - it's certainly far superior to the wretched RETURNS.

Folks tend to confuse it wit the execrable B & R

2 hours ago, Romão said:

And I wouldn't even rank the Elfmans with them - not even close. But then I'm much less enthused about Elfman than pretty much everyone else here.

In any case, it's one of the best superhero scores, and one of Goldenthal's best.

On 1/30/2021 at 2:35 PM, Jay said:

You should also know that there was a mastering error when the made the original OST album that distorted the sound, and they never fixed it.

What kind of error?

Man of Steel (Complete Score) by Hans Zimmer

I really like this one, so epic! I'm happy that Zimmer totally changed of style. I'm not sure he would have been good by copying the master like Ottman had done with Returns....