What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Peacemaker is terrific. It's one of my favourite Zimmer scores. The opening sequence itself is probably his greatest moment. I remember being blown away by at the cinema (I must have been 12). Up there with Hannibal, Interstellar, The Lion King and The Thin Red Line.

Can someone please please expand Hannibal and Interestellar? Pretty please.

Karol

57 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The Peacemaker is terrific. It's one of my favourite Zimmer scores. The opening sequence itself is probably his greatest moment. I remember being blown away by at the cinema (I must have been 12). Up there with Hannibal, Interstellar, The Lion King and The Thin Red Line.

Can someone please please expand Hannibal and Interestellar? Pretty please.

Karol

I must give Hannibal a listen. I don’t think I ever have.

Never understood the love for Interstellar. Could never get into it at all. But I don’t like Zimmer’s modern work nearly as much. 

Jerry Goldsmith - The Russia House (OST)

Woah.   I had never listened to this before, and this was spectacular.  After just the first 3 tracks you know you're listening to something special.  Branford Marsalis's performances really bring the whole thing to life and the tension and drama is palpable throughout.  I had picked this out out from my pile of unlistened-to CDs last week and only got around to it now but so it was a fun coincidence that Michael Lang spoke about recording this with Branford on yesterday's broadcast.

Now I can't wait to check out the expanded version!

Revo - Bravely Default

One of the greatest video game scores of all time?  Yes.  One of the greatest video game scores of all time.

Honestly the Russia house and Papillon are on my wishlist, I have the OSTs. Papillon sounds better on the new CD. Russia House is a must.

For Cocoon, I also have the two OSTs, but I'm not so on a hurry to get the Expanded releases. I've bought so many CDs in the last year, I didn't have much time to listen to all of them properly.

Congo by Jerry Goldsmith

I continue my Goldsmith journey going from one surprise to another. The man composed so many various and beautiful scores and I'm not sure that I've listened to a third of it.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I find that Horner might have been inspired by this score for his Avatar, some of the arrangements seem to be quite similar.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

It's one of film music great pieces, from the 80's onward at least, if you accept film music is more than Jurassic Park or Waterworld, of course.

Yes, it's a good one. Refreshing to see that this thread is not only about mainstream Hollywood scores from the past 30 years.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Oh I know. I've got the silly starlight box release. But that's not sufficient. I meant a proper release.

Anyway, it's a Jerry Goldsmith day today. In order to celebrate what would have been his 92nd birthday I picked those 10 to listen to:

148830845_10220008712031380_483985822214

Karol

Hmm. A nice selection of well-known classics, and "lesser-known" titles.

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

285.-LADY-JANE.jpg

I suppose you only posted this because it's got a cue called The Hunt, eh? Well :P to you, dumbass!

9 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Rio Conchos by Jerry Goldsmith

Forever Young by Jerry Goldsmith

Two others great scores...

Good choices! Also having a Jerry day to remember the great man...

Basic Instinct - I have never loved this one as I feel I should given its stature and Jerry's own high regard for it. A great score, but it doesn't stand out in the same way as many of his other most highly regarded efforts.

The Last Castle - Definitely have a new found appreciation for this one since the expanded album came out. I think was broadly considered a relatively middle of the road effort when it was released.

Looney Tunes: Back in Action - Still loving this one, such a fun score which manages to be surprisingly coherent despite being all over the place in terms of style, composers and tone. While I doubt it's the score he would have picked as his swan song, I'm sure he was glad it was working with Joe Dante.

Alien - Actually the Alien Trilogy album on Varese (although I do love the super comprehensive Intrada release) but a great sampling of one of his finest.

Star Trek: TMP - Unused early score... a reminder that some composer's leftovers are better than what many come up with in their finest achievements.

Up next... Sleeping with the Enemy. I honestly remember nothing about this one. What a bad fan I am!

2 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Basic Instinct - I have never loved this one as I feel I should given its stature and Jerry's own high regard for it. A great score, but it doesn't stand out in the same way as many of his other most highly regarded efforts.

The Last Castle - Definitely have a new found appreciation for this one since the expanded album came out. I think was broadly considered a relatively middle of the road effort when it was released.

Looney Tunes: Back in Action - Still loving this one, such a fun score which manages to be surprisingly coherent despite being all over the place in terms of style, composers and tone. While I doubt it's the score he would have picked as his swan song, I'm sure he was glad it was working with Joe Dante.

Alien - Actually the Alien Trilogy album on Varese (although I do love the super comprehensive Intrada release) but a great sampling of one of his finest.

Up next... Sleeping with the Enemy. I honestly remember nothing about this one. What a bad fan I am!

I feel the same about Basic Instinct, I never can tell if I really like it or just a bit.

It's funny that you mention The Last Castle as I'm currently listening to it (the original album though :music:)

Alien and  Total Recall are my personal favourite from the man. I think I'm gonna listen to both by the end of the day.

18 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I feel the same about Basic Instinct, I never can tell if I really like it or just a bit.

It's funny that you mention The Last Castle as I'm currently listening to it (the original album though :music:)

Alien and  Total Recall are my personal favourite from the man. I think I'm gonna listen to both by the end of the day.

Yeah! If he thought that highly of it, and given how demanding Verhoven was, I feel like I should pay it more attention. Maybe I need to watch the film again. Good choices for personal favourites; I'd also go directly to Star Trek: TMP as my favourite, but I could easily justify a number of others.

9 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Star Trek: TMP as my favourite, but I could easily justify a number of others.

Star Trek would of course be very close to the first two other, specially since I've discovered the LLL expanded edition which I think give a better appreciation of the score. The sound quality and the score presentation are so great that I didn't see the three hours passed...

Just finnished The Last Castle (OST) think I'll have to check out the expansion one day before it's gone! ;)

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Do yourself a favour and get the sessions, not the Decca.

Điện Biên Phủ - Georges Delerue

This 1992 french war drama by veteran Pierre Schoendoerffer, which unlike many Hollywood films is more a docudrama, is regarded by many (ha, true Trump style here) as one of the more important war movies. It portrays the 55-day siege of the vietnamese city in 1954.

The score proper is mostly period and piano pieces, so Delerue did the only sensible thing, he composed a huge concert piece apart from it, the "Concerto de l'Adieu", clocking in at 10 minutes with variations and fragments added on the old Polydor that make up another 18 minutes. It's a flowing, dramatic violin concerto, heightening the battle's meaning in terms of human suffering and it's basically a european sensibility version of SPR and similar us stuff, unsurprisingly much less patriotic and more existentialist in nature. 

It's one of film music great pieces, from the 80's onward at least, if you accept film music is more than Jurassic Park or Waterworld, of course.

That was lovely, thank you

Just now, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Star Trek would of course be very close to the first two other, specially since I've discovered the LLL expanded edition which I think give a better appreciation of the score. The sound quality and the score presentation are so great that I didn't see the three hours passed...

Just finnished The Last Castle (OST) think I'll have to check out the expansion one day before it's gone! ;)

The LLL edition is definitely the last word in ST:TMP, as exciting as when the 20th anniversary edition came out at the end of the 90s. I actually really like the programme used for the 20th anniversary edition, it's like a perfect length symphonic tone poem version of the score that tells the story just a little more concisely than the full thing (which is not to say I would be without the complete score and all the extras and alternates!).

27 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You're not a bad fan. It's an (by Jerry's standards) inferior score, from a risible film.

Re Sleeping with the Enemy. Actually I have it on now and am enjoying it a fair bit. The rather fetching main theme strikes me as quite John Barry-esque at times, although more tentative and less swooning than Barry. I'd have been tempted to say that Body Heat was a temp, but it's much more fetching and less sultry than Body Heat.

Gremlins by Jerry Goldsmith

A really funny score, perhaps not as funny as the sequel but I find that we can really see here how much fun Goldsmith probably had while composing this one (specially with the Gremlin Rag and Gizmo's Trumpet :lol:)

9 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It supports and elevates the film perfectly, but on its own, I usually stick to a few selected highlights (but those I like very much).

I haven't had much time for music today, but I squeezed in Cassandra Crossing (one of the brilliant lesser known Goldsmiths) and Papillon.

Thomas Newman - Shawshank Redemption.

I made an introduction playlist, using the expanded release, in an "attempt" to reproduce the OST shorter program, without edit.

I love it! :love2:

On 2/2/2021 at 6:11 PM, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

The Phantom of the Opera by Roy Budd

That's AWESOME! :w00t:

Why didn't have heard of it before. Thanks a lot @Jurassic Sharkfor this great suggestion

This post made me check this score out. Sounds great so far. I will listen to this one a few more times in the coming days.

Now if only I could find out who did the music for a version of Nosferatu I watched in my teens. It was absolutely hypnotic. I was never able to find out who wrote that particular version of the soundtrack

5 hours ago, Romão said:

Now if only I could find out who did the music for a version of Nosferatu I watched in my teens. It was absolutely hypnotic. I was never able to find out who wrote that particular version of the soundtrack

Do you perhaps mean the Werner Herzog version, with the Popol Vuh score?

Now Playing:

R-3337230-1326367296.jpeg.jpg

Star Wars : Battlefront II by Gordy Haab

Well this one is better that the previous one. There is still this very Williams-nesque sound but this time Haab managed to instore a propper theme which give more interest to the score than a simple action style composition. Find this one is truly in the Williams legacy.

A couple more Jerry listens:

Twilight Zone: The Movie - giving the extras a spin, nice to hear the album edits (which make it easy to recreate the original album, should be so wish) and the songs are kinda fun. I appear to have a higher threshold for cheese than I used to...

First Knight - also going through the extras, nothing revelatory here but some nice alternates. Always thought this was a great score and glad to have the complete thing, although the original album is a nice tone poem of the highlights even though it manages to miss out Lancelot's theme completely if I recall correctly. (Joining the pantheon of JW scores that do the same... in particular A.I. and The Phantom Menace missing David's and Qui-Gon's themes respectively)

Suites and Themes from the cracking Tadlow Blue Max re-recording. I actually really love Tadlow's compilation extras (notably the Maurice Jarre ones) and this is no exception. Great to have a few fine scores that don't usually get much of a look in, such as A Gathering of Eagles which feels like a follow up to The Blue Max, plus The Chairman which has fairly mediocre sound on the original album. That could really use a decent re-recording. Also good to have The Final Conflict represented, it doesn't get nearly enough attention in compilations, although a shame they didn't include The Hunt. Not that Trial Run isn't a fine cue, but The Hunt is a clear highlight outside of the opening titles and finale. Great to have the finale in isolation too. The build-up to it on the expanded album is great, but sometimes you just want the second coming without waiting for it. As it were.

3 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Also good to have The Final Conflict represented, it doesn't get nearly enough attention in compilations, although a shame they didn't include The Hunt.

True, but I guess they realized it's not the best cue named The Hunt out there, so they were probably thinking why bother.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

True, but I guess they realized it's not the best cue named The Hunt out there, so they were probably thinking why bother.

Haha... not even the best cue named The Hunt by Jerry Goldsmith ;-) But still, one of the top five I'd say. Although is it the best track called Trial Run? There's the one from The Sand Pebbles to choose from, but also Guide For the Married Man and The World's Fastest Indian by Peter J Robinson...

Now on The Chairman. Definitely in need of a better sounding release, a very fine score indeed. Is that a possibility? Not sure what the deal is with this one.

It remains Alan Williams' best score to date. Amazing that he wrote it only some 4 years into his career, and he's never been able to top it since, even though there's a lot of great stuff on his resume - especially all the nature documentaries.

I also wonder if a recurrent theme (for example in "Flight", or in the title theme) was used as a temp track for James Newton Howard's "The Egg Travels" from DINOSAUR.