What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 hours ago, JTW said:

Which RIO score do you like more, 1 or 2? 

I haven't listen to the first one since ages so I wouldn't know which one right now but I'll dive back into the first one soon

Kung Fu Panda 2 by Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Lorne Balfe, Henry Jackman, Paul Mounsey and Dominic Lewis

I tried several times and I don't love these Panda scores as much as other Powell's scores for DreamWorks. They're fun, energetic and fast paced, and there's some great moments, but overall it's not enough to make a huge impression like HTTYD.

ab67616d0000b273300bc47b3931a73becda41e0

A definite highlight of last year -- especially the retro synth/pop bits -- even though the album is only 22 minutes long. Technically, it should perhaps have been posted in the "2021" thread, but at some point we'll have to leave that and post in the "older" thread instead.

23 hours ago, Bespin said:

JNH received 7 Academy Award nominations so far, that's not bad, he'll not win his first one tonight (and strangely he was even not in nomination for 'Jungle Cruise'), but maybe next year!

Howard isn't a great composer because of the awards he did or did not win. 

While he, along with Silvestri, Elfman, David and Thomas Newman, Powell, David Arnold,  Isham, Harry Gregson-Williams, Doyle, Broughton, Fenton, Burwell etc. have no Oscars,

Gustavo Santaolalla, Trent Reznor or Justin Hurwitz have 2, Michael Giacchino, Hildur Guðnadóttir, Steven Price, A.R. Rahman have one. 

The Academy Awards are a joke.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Last Duel by Harry Gregson-Williams. I have to say this is pretty good, more subtle and meditative sibling of Kingdom of Heaven. Other than Daniel Pemberton's All the Money In the World from a couple of years ago, it is definitely the strongest score to a Ridley Scott film since, well, Kingdom of Heaven. It navigates cleverly between the modern dour realism and something with a bit more colour. The relatively brief album means the score doesn't outstay its welcome. It's a win.

Karol

The score gets better everytime I listen to it. The 3 themes are really one done and cleverly tell the story. One of my favorites of last year and his career.

I hope he will do the Napoleon film!

55 minutes ago, LSH said:

Yes. It really is. I always consider this score his last proper calling card.

That's rather unfair to AVATAR. Or -- especially -- my alltime favourite Horner score THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

THE LAST DUEL is my 6th favourite score of 2021, even if I have major issues with the film itself.

What are the first 5?

2 hours ago, LSH said:

Paycheck (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack / Deluxe Edition) - Album by John  Powell | Spotify

The Hog Chase cues are reason enough to offer this guy the next Bond film. The brass writing is simply sublime.

Powell would be amazing for Bond. But he could do basically anything.

I told him that when I heard his score to X-MEN 3, I said to myself that once John Williams stops writing Star Wars, he should be Williams’ successor. 12 years later my wish came true. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

That's rather unfair to AVATAR. Or -- especially -- my alltime favourite Horner score THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS.

I also like his score to BLACK GOLD from his later years. 
My favorite score of his is BRAVEHEART. 

29 minutes ago, JTW said:

What are the first 5?

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tunes-71-the-10-best-scores-of-2021-23rd-international-edition/

29 minutes ago, JTW said:

My favorite score of his is BRAVEHEART. 

Not a bad choice. It would definitely feature in my top 10.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Boy in Striped Pajamas is pretty good indeed. My favorite cues from it are Dolls Are Not For Big Girls, Propaganda Is and A Family Slowly Crumbles.

Everything is fantastic on the album, but my favourite track will always remain "An Odd Discovery Beyond the Trees". One of the best pieces of music ever written (and yes, I'm aware I'm being hyperbolic, but that's because the score means so much to me, personally  -- and I even got to chat a bit about it with Horner himself some 9 years ago).

44 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Nah. All other Horner scores can only bow their heads, and fall prostrate at the altar of BRAINSTORM.

Only a Thor would choose PYJAMMAS* as his best score!

😉😅

* I've never heard it so I guess it's possible😙

11 hours ago, LSH said:

As a massive fan of his Amazing Spider-Man, Avatar and Living in the Age of Airplanes, I wouldn't say that but I agree that it's the last time he has really innovated, leaving a bit behind his old habits

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Boy in Striped Pajamas is pretty good indeed. My favorite cues from it are Dolls Are Not For Big Girls, Propaganda Is and A Family Slowly Crumbles.

Is that another one of those Holocaust films?

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Is that another one of those Holocaust films?

Yes it’s another one of those Holocaust films. It’s a very moving film, it was shot in my hometown.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_in_the_Striped_Pyjamas_(film)

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

As a massive fan of his Amazing Spider-Man, Avatar and Living in the Age of Airplanes, I wouldn't say that but I agree that it's the last time he has really innovated, leaving a bit behind his old habits

The last time Horner innovated was 1992, when brought Pärt and Glass into the film music fold. 

A nice selection although there is never too much Williams Star Wars music! :P

The Journey of Natty Gann by James Horner

I bought it recently in garage sale and really can't get enough of it. It's a stunning adventurous score and a pure gem from Horner (I know I say that from all his score recently)

Sunday mood! :music:

Howard Shore - The Last Mimzy OST

Thomas Newman - WALL-E (FYC)

John Powell - HTTYD OST (my Deluxe CD is now in Chicago, it's coming, it's coming!)

Howard Shore - Hugo OST

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Sometimes we need a little warmth.

Precisely. Now more than ever.

And btw. I love all the scores you listed. I need to give another spin to THE LAST MIMZY. And HUGO. :)

ab67616d0000b2737389b5682ad8028adb3ff1b6

This pastoral, life-affirming 2012 score is still my favourite Wallfisch 10 years later, and should be in everyone's collection. Although I've liked many things he's done recently, I do hope we get to hear another one like this again (or his other similarly-sounding scores from the 2010s, like BHOPAL: A PRAYER FOR RAIN and DESERT DANCER, or - at least partially - BITTER HARVEST).

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b2737389b5682ad8028adb3ff1b6

This pastoral, life-affirming 2012 score is still my favourite Wallfisch 10 years later, and should be in everyone's collection. Although I've liked many things he's done recently, I do hope we get to hear another one like this again (or his other similarly-sounding scores from the 2010s, like BHOPAL: A PRAYER FOR RAIN and DESERT DANCER, or - at least partially - BITTER HARVEST).

Indeed a very good score.

I'm very curious about what his score for the new Ron Howard film will sound like.

19 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Indeed a very good score.

I'm very curious about what his score for the new Ron Howard film will sound like.

Indeed. Howard/Wallfisch sounds like a good combo -- on the surface, at least.

ab67616d0000b273cd9112478a6a0c01acf91b13

Great synth score from 1987 with TD-like sequencers and whatnot; I'm sure the name refers to the "Berlin School" of electronica. A shame they never really became a thing (although Allaman has done quite a few things solo). I believe this was the only score they did under that moniker.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Indeed. Since Shostakovich himself would often subtly mock the totalitarian system his dry wit is the perfect choice. I actually can't believe it's not him.

It's a very convincing, almost deceiving pastiche. I want to rewatch the film, too.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Indeed. Since Shostakovich himself would often subtly mock the totalitarian system his dry wit is the perfect choice. I actually can't believe it's not him. 

Ksrol

I have it on good authority it's not him.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I have it on good authority it's not him.

How do you know?

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's a very convincing, almost deceiving pastiche. I want to rewatch the film, too.

An excellent movie. That and JOJO RABBIT are my two favorite films from the past 5 years.

1 hour ago, JTW said:

An excellent movie. That and JOJO RABBIT are my two favorite films from the past 5 years.

That surprised me. Please don't take this as an attack, I'm curious. I suppose the score is another entity as the footage, but can you love the film as a whole without liking the music? Or this particular score was not that bad?

I think i have listened to it once... and i still have the film in my to-watch list .

5 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

That surprised me. Please don't take this as an attack, I'm curious. I suppose the score is another entity as the footage, but can you love the film as a whole without liking the music? Or this particular score was not that bad?

I think i have listened to it once... and i still have the film in my to-watch list .

Honestly I don't remember Giacchino's score, but that's usually the case with his scores for me. The movie on the other hand is sensational, so I guess MG's score didn't bother me. As I've said before, MG is a good notesmith, but to me he's a mediocre film composer, whose music I usually don't remember after watching the film. But I highly recommend the film JOJO RABBIT. And THE DEATH OF STALIN, with Christopher Willis' excellent score which I like very much. 

Well apart from Jojo's March which is pretty fun the rest is really forgettable IMO without disturbing the watch of this perfect movie

Ratatouille by Michael Giacchino

My favourite score from Gia, it's so much fun. I wish he'll write more like this

This can't be underestimated - which it has been by its exclusion from the original Milan France album. It's such a great track, Horner doing basic action mode, Davis kicking in with his creative orchestrations and then taking the whole thing over with his idiosyncratic piccolo and strings structures:

Dudes. Not a fan of Bernstein, but his rejected score for Scarlet Letter is AMAZING:

ab67616d0000b273695383bc14262a5eecc297bc

One of my favourite scores from 2020 -- especially the upbeat synth bits. Gets to the pace and rhythm of a cycle race, much like Kraftwerk's TOUR DE FRANCE album. But some of the more ambient cues work wonderfully as tissue material too. A completely different animal from De Maeyer's 90s-style, orchestral action score for TORPEDO in 2019, but showcases his versatility.