What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Let’s continue this exquisite descent into hell!

Danny Elfman - Hulk OST

Danny Elfman - Red Dragon OST

Danny Elfman - Spider-Man OST

Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes OST

6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Coming to you from 1995!

I'm sure Kamen wrote better scores. But this is still my favorite.

It’s a terrific score and easily one of my favourites by Kamen. It clearly meant a huge deal to him and is filled with memorable, heartfelt melodies. I guess you could accuse it of being overwrought but who cares?! I love the song too, probably my favourite Kamen song. 

Wow, I LOVE this! Never sought out the boot or anything in the past, and I don't believe I've ever seen the movie, so I was coming into this all fresh. Those glockenspiel-like things in the opening track (a little bit of Vangelis going on), the moody tracks, the melody, the sophisticated layers -- excellent stuff! I can understand why Zimmer promoted it in social media feeds (as opposed to those Nico Mastrakis things from NoteforNote that he hated). Needs some whittling, though -- there are some "mood-intrusive" tracks with more perfunctory stuff.

The Emperor's Club (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Album by James  Newton Howard | Spotify

Not anything outstanding... and it certainly screams of temp-track hell. However, I've always found this album, just the 30 mins of it, makes for some fantastic gentle background listening.

I'm cooking at the moment, and this is perfect non-intrusive wallpaper (in the best sense of the word) sound. 

48 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I really like this score. This is the kind of movie I wish JNH would score more often.

I agree. I'm really happy that he's doing lots of big fantasy / action stuff at the moment. However I'm scared of him doing anything small-scale because his recent stuff in that realm hasn't been particularly invigorating. 

But if he could revisit that mid 90s to early 00s emotional drama sound that he did so well, I'd be well chuffed.

An American Tail (James Horner) - What better way to celebrate the 131st birthday of Prokofiev than with some James Horner ;-) Although AAT is more Smetana than Prokofiev (ironic given that Smetana was Czech rather than Russian. Then again, Prokofiev was technically Ukrainian… anyway). Still one of JH’s most charming, memorable and gorgeous scores even if the songs are a touch twee, although Somewhere Out There is a deserved classic.

If I can turn back time... well, this is exactly what I try to do!

Have a nice week-end!

Danny Elfman - Proof of Life OST

Danny Elfman - Sleepy Hollow (expanded score)

Danny Elfman - Instinct OST

Danny Elfman - A Simple Plan OST

10 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The Village - James Newton Howard

Gorgeous!! Wish he'd write a score like this again!

A Hidden Life sounds a lot like The Village, but, maybe because of that, far less original. But maybe it fulfills your wish.

36 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

A Hidden Life sounds a lot like The Village, but, maybe because of that, far less original. But maybe it fulfills your wish.

I know. Great score but I thought it was a bit to downstated. Not enough happened for me beside the title piece and 'Love and Suffering'.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

His violin concerto reminds me of it - it's very much JNH and in a similar vein, yet without sounding so reminiscent of RVW.

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Indeed. Easily top-5 JNH, for me.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

...Snow Falling On Cedars...

Also top-5 JNH. A lovely score, from an underrated film.

Fear Street - Marco Beltrami & Co.

I love these 3 scores. The second is my favourite. Then 1 and then 3. I wish that the 3rd score has more of the final battle on the album.

But other then that, for me these are 3 of the best horror scores of the last 20 years. I'm a big fan of Beltrami's Scream score, but I think these are better than that. Awesome!

23 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

His violin concerto reminds me of it - it's very much JNH and in a similar vein, yet without sounding so reminiscent of RVW.

I love his Violin Concerto! Would like to hear it live.

ltat.jpeg

I completely forgot that this existed, having only listened to it once on initial release.

It's great to hear Newman do something so completely against type... and it makes for excellent background music while cooking. :)

Cars - Randy Newman

I don't know what it is about this score, but it just always puts a smile on my face. It's so much fun. Wish there was more than the 20+ minutes of score. Would love a more expanded listen!

The 3rd score by Newman is also great and luckily got a longer release

4 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Cars - Randy Newman

I don't know what it is about this score, but it just always puts a smile on my face. It's so much fun. Wish there was more than the 20+ minutes of score. Would love a more expanded listen!

Why did Newman sit the second instalment out, only to return for the third?

7 minutes ago, LSH said:

Why did Newman sit the second instalment out, only to return for the third?

Don't think that was Newman's choice. I think the filmmakers thought Giacchino's sound would better fit the spy angle the film has. Because of Incredibles & Ratatouille

Those two you've played in a row, Lee, are his two last, good scores, IMO. If you're moving further back to the next good one, that would be VICTORIA & ABDUL, as far as I'm concerned.

Just now, Thor said:

Those two you've played in a row, Lee, are his two last, good scores, IMO. If you're moving further back to the next good one, that would be VICTORIA & ABDUL, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, Victoria & Abdul is a stunning one. 

A few cues from that are part of my 'Thomas Newman in South Asia' playlist, which also includes hits from the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel duo and He Named Me Malala.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

More importantly, I'd love to know the full story of why the Cars 2 wiki page is locked ("semi-protected due to vandalism")

Perhaps Newman kept spamming it with song lyrics about a composer gloating how his sequel score is much superior to the original.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Cars - Randy Newman

Cars is awesome. The one track that was left off of the score that I think is essential is Doc Racing.

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Unfortunately for the one Newman original song, I've always had a distaste for James Taylor's voice.

This must be literally the only time someone has complained that someone else is singing a Randy Newman song ;-) As a huge Randy Newman fan, I don't mind his voice at all (and sometimes the smoothness of a better singer isn't really appropriate anyway) but Our Town from Cars is lovely.

Back to the Future (Alan Silvestri) - Obviously a classic although I think I still marginally prefer the score for part 3, the western stuff is such fun and the love theme is absolutely lovely. One thing that struck me was that the BTTF music is actually pretty complex and there's not a lot in his early catalogue which suggests he could write orchestral music of this sort (see below clip which is very informative!). It got me to thinking all the flack Danny Elfman got when he started scoring big budget features (Batman onwards) and commentators questioning how he could write such complex orchestral music given his background, but he had actually written a few orchestral scores that led up to that point. Is anyone aware if there were any such comments as to how Silvestri could have written BTTF given that much of his early music was kinda pop/disco styled (Romancing the Stone and his TV work on Chips etc.)?

NS0yNDczLmpwZWc.jpeg

My own mention of Sarde in another thread made me want to play this compilation again -- a very fruitful collaboration that doesn't get mentioned too often. Pop, symphonic and everything in-between, often with a bittersweet air. Great stuff.

Yes, the De Broca and Delerue collab is great too. L'AFRICAIN, as you mention, is probably the best, but also dig L'HOMME DE RIO, INCORRIGIBLE and bits and pieces of CHOUANS!. Never quite got into CARTOUCHE, but might be ripe for a relisten.

The Crown: Season 3 - Martin Phipps

Still think it's not as good as seasons 1 & 2 but 'Aberfan' is a great cue and there is some other good stuff in it. Season 4 is better then this. 

Curious to see who will do seasons 5 & 6

4 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Our Town from Cars is lovely.

It’s ok, certainly not among his best movie song efforts.  But really it’s just Taylor’s voice I’ve never liked.  Of the milquetoast, militantly inoffensive male singers of the 1970s, I’ll take John Denver over JT.  

I'm listening to Flubber for the first time, whoa!!!!  Nive devilish and fun Elfman score, like we like them!!!

:devil:

Danny Elfman - Flubber OST

Danny Elfman - Men in Black (the score)

Danny Elfman - Mars Attack! (expanded score)

Danny Elfman - The Frighteners OST

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

I'm listening to Flubber for the first time, whoa!!!!  Nive devilish and fun Elfman score, like we like them!!!

:devil:

The mambo cue really has to be seen in context to be appreciated ;) 

I really enjoyed it, as I'm a great mambo dancer myself.

I dance all the mambos, the number one, the number two, etc.

artworks-KbsGZnSl7MnieJVH-Oqlgtw-t500x50

While Hammer's stuff is legendary, Tim Truman did some superb music in season 5. The dreamy "Helicopter", for example, is one of the best cues ever written for the show. While his music is not yet released (a scandal!), bits and pieces have surfaced on various platforms over the years. This is a selection of some of them. We interviewed Tim Truman about this and other things over on Celluloid Tunes awhile back.

And as the soundtrack was just petering out as I wrote this, now on to something completely different, as they say:

NS0yOTQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

While Young wasn't homophonic in the way, say, Edelman is, his very transparent orchestrations and straight-to-the-core melodies make him less popular than the more striking voices of his Golden Age contemporaries. But he still did some excellent stuff; this triple-whammy soundtrack from 2012 displays that. Beyond this and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, I intend to grow my V. Young collection soon.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

While Young wasn't homophonic in the way, say, Edelman is, his very transparent orchestrations and straight-to-the-core melodies make him less popular than the more striking voices of his Golden Age contemporaries. But he still did some excellent stuff; this triple-whammy soundtrack from 2012 displays that. Beyond this and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, I intend to grow my V. Young collection soon.

If you like Orient Young, add also Tiomkin's great Hajji Baba ti the mix (the nat King Cole version is a killer).

Yeah, I put Tiomkin in the same category, sort of, even though he was far more popular. Not familiar with that particular score, though, so thanks for the recommendation.