What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Edmilson, totally agree with you on Barry's DWW. I loved it when it came out, got annoyed by Barry's style in the 1990s, dismissed DWW. Recently, watched the 4k version of the film and wow. The music is literally a character in the film, especially in the early parts of the film with Dunbar's journey. Accompanied by the cinematography, it is just astonishing work from Barry.

I lamented Poledouris missing out on this project due to his very ethical commitment to Milius and what impact this choice had on Basil's career at this crucial moment on him breaking out. At the same time, I am not convinced that even a master composer like Poledouris could have captured Barry's majestic simplicity in such an overt, massively emotional way. It is one of the greatest of scores no doubt.

A gift for Barry fans, and indeed, for anyone with a heartbeat, one of Barry's best on an endless loop, so fucking cool:

Relistening to this wonderful CD released in 2020, which includes World Premiere Recording of 'Tribute to the Film Composers' by John Williams (still absent from this page https://www.jwfan.com/discography/composer/index.htm @Junion)

It also includes a revised premiere recording of "The Face of Pan" from Hook.

image.jpeg

Welcome To Marwen - Alan Silvestri

In my opinion, a very underrated score in the Silvestri canon.

I love the main themes. All of the them used quite a bit. It has some of Silvestri's most beautiful writing of the last 20 years.

The martial undertones to the action sequences is Silvestri in 80's & 90's mode.

I just really love it!

In honor of John Williams, who now has a building named after him, I'm listening to these four scores (corresponding to the posters chosen to honor him):

• E.T. (expanded, the vinyl program)
  • Schindler's List
  • The Force Awakens (FYC, because if I listen to the Star Wars Main Theme once again, I'll kill someone)
  • The Lost World (expanded)

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

FYC, without the first track, if I listen to the Star Wars Main Theme once again, I'll kill someone

Does the way it's played in TFA really count? ;)

1) That's a good project.

2) Why... Star Wars SEVEN and Jurassic Park TWO?

20 hours ago, Bespin said:

A compilation I created—a sort of sampler featuring CDs from Film Fest Gent.

Great re-recordings!

My two absolute favourites of these great albums are Terence Blanchard and Ryuitchi Sakamoto.

43 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The Force Awakens (FYC, without the first track, if I listen to the Star Wars Main Theme once again, I'll kill someone)

The main titles do not appear in the first track of the FYC.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The main titles do not appear in the first track of the FYC.

You are right, they completely removed the Main Theme in the FYC, that's why I love them!

I hope that if the next Star Wars trilogy materializes (for now, Disney seems to be struggling to come up with a solid script, apparently... well, well...), and if John Williams doesn't compose the music (I sincerely hope he moves on to something else), they will get rid of the habit of starting the movies with the Star Wars Main Theme. Personally, I can't stand to hear it anymore.

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You are right, they completely removed the Main Theme in the FYC, that's why I love them!

I hope that if the next Star Wars trilogy materializes (for now, Disney seems to be struggling to come up with a solid script, apparently... well, well...), and if John Williams doesn't compose the music (I sincerely hope he moves on to something else), they will get rid of the habit of starting the movies with the Star Wars Main Theme. Personally, I can't stand to hear it anymore.

I can see it becoming the theme for the (errrgh) Skywalker Saga. Although the next three movies are supposedly about Rey Skywalker...

But they can go the way of the Bond movies and remove the titles and crawl. Maybe "A long time ago" would be enough.

With the Mando movie (supposedly) coming up we'll have a character who has a musical identity that far outweighs the Williams theme.

They should consider hiring a young composer to create a fanfare version of Rey's Theme for these new movies, or even compose an entirely new one. The Star Wars Main Theme is closely tied to the Skywalker Saga, and since they are now exploring the Palpatine Saga (HA HA HA), it would be fitting to have a new musical identity for this storyline.

That would be interesting. Playing Rey's Theme over the Emperor's theme as underlying motif. Would work for sure. With Williams' themes you can do such things.

Oh no please no. That's only give certain goldenbois "confirmation" that he always intended it to be like that from the start!

The Emperor's Club - JNH

One of those scores I can't get enough of. I could listen to this all day and never get tired of it. I just wish JNH had more movies like that on his career instead of so many urban thrillers.

My only criticism is that it's not entirely "focused", as in, the album introduces many ideas but never quite bring them to a cohesive whole. Still, the Hundert's theme (or at least what I think it's his theme since it appears in tracks that have his name on it) is quite good.

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Emperor's Club - JNH

One of those scores I can't get enough of. I could listen to this all day and never get tired of it. I just wish JNH had more movies like that on his career instead of so many urban thrillers.

My only criticism is that it's not entirely "focused", as in, the album introduces many ideas but never quite bring them to a cohesive whole. Still, the Hundert's theme (or at least what I think it's his theme since it appears in tracks that have his name on it) is quite good.

Are you familiar with Thomas Newman's Scent of a Woman? It is a criticism directed at this score, suggesting that it may be somewhat modeled after Newman's...

16 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Emperor's Club - JNH

Gorgeous little score (doesn't get mentioned enough, actually) that showcases Howard's ability to write really lovely 'underscore' with solo instruments at the fore.

I used to play this a lot. Might give it a spin later when I wind down.

Excerpts from E.T., Schindler's List, The Force Awakens, and The Lost World, that's a great way to start the day!

image.png

Then, some great Max Steiner conducted by Charles Gerhardt:

image.png

On 19/01/2024 at 10:10 PM, Edmilson said:

The Emperor's Club - JNH

After your recommendation, I listened to it too.

Quite good score, and although I don't remember Scent of A Woman, I could hear the Thomas Newman influences.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Excerpts from E.T., Schindler's List, The Force Awakens, and The Lost World, that's a great way to start the day!

I don't know why, but I cannot listen to excerpts from soundtracks.

Maybe that's why I don't hear compilations often, or I haven't still viewed/listened to the John Williams concerts.

If I want to hear a soundtrack, I want to hear it from start to finish.

I handle it as a kind of film (who would want to see scenes from various films in a row?)

On 19/01/2024 at 5:17 PM, Bespin said:

Are you familiar with Thomas Newman's Scent of a Woman? It is a criticism directed at this score, suggesting that it may be somewhat modeled after Newman's...

I haven't heard Scent of a Woman in a very long time, but yeah, this score was clearly inspired by Newman. But it still retains enough of JNH's own personality, so it's not exactly a copy, it's more like JNH putting his own spin on Thomas Newman.

36 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I handle it as a kind of film (who would want to see scenes from various films in a row?)

Okay, is a concert featuring film music an aberration for you?

Seven Years in Tibet

Front.jpg

I love the combination of old school melodrama from the main theme with spiritual Oriental music. The orchestra barely sounds "epic", most of the score is Yo Yo Ma's cello with typical Eastern instruments, and that may make it a little boring for people wanting another Star Wars or Indiana Jones. But I love the atmospheric textures and the whole aura of spirituality it conjures.

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Has plenty of soulful trumpets, of course, as one would expect for a North Pole Race film. Lots of honoUr and glory. Album needs a little whittling, though.

Blue Velvet- Angelo Badalamenti

I really like the album with the score, the songs and even some weird sound effects track. Haven't watched the movie again since I first watched it in cinema in my 20s. Was my first Lynch and made a big impression on me as a work of art.

16 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Blue Velvet- Angelo Badalamenti

I really like the album with the score, the songs and even some weird sound effects track. Haven't watched the movie again since I first watched it in cinema in my 20s. Was my first Lynch and made a big impression on me as a work of art.

With the exception of TWIN PEAKS (+ FIRE WALK WITH ME) and THE STRAIGHT STORY, I've always had issues with the Badalamenti/Lynch soundtracks as a whole, even if they've had excellent tracks. So I created my own curated playlist "album" with three tracks each from BLUE VELVET, WILD AT HEART, MULHOLLAND DRIVE and LOST HIGHWAY that fullfill my needs.

Now Playing:

charles-fox-oh-god-book-ii-Cover-Art.jpg

Unfortunately never released widely, only a few FYC promo vinyls. Which is a shame, because it's a delightfully fluffy comedy score in vein of Michael Gore's DEFENDING YOUR LIFE.

The Miracle Season & The Man Who Killed Don Quixote - Roque Baños

God, I love these scores!! The former is like one of those sport scores from the 80's & 90's. Beautiful themes, orchestrations and I love the added marching band drums.

The latter is a fantastic adventure score and I'm a sucker fot Latin guitars and instruments, so this is just so right up my alley! One of my favorite scores of the last 10 years.

Terrific!!

The art and soul of boredom by Hans Zimmer, or the attempt to try and meditate before accepting it's just mostly all pointless droning. End, please.

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

I know very little about this film. I think it was a 2002 novella film directed by Young's nephew. But I've always really liked this score. Slow-moving and autumnal in tone, beautifully presented in 5 tracks over 40 minutes, the first four a concerto adaptation of some sort. Kudos to Intrada for putting it out way back when.

1200x1200bf-60.jpg

A runner-up candidate from last year (came in at 21st place) -- a delightful synth score for a title that is almost un-pronouncable.

Discovering this Laurence Rosenthal TV score, nice!

Peter The Great (1986).

ab67616d0000b273708642027800ad2a528ff18b

One of my favourite films AND scores of last year. Brivik channels Berlin school sequencers and other things beautifully. Album needs a little whittling, though, which I have done.

Didn't open up any physical CDs this week, just files

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

This score has grown on me SO much since the isolated score came out.  He wrote a cracking' score for this mid film, and a proper expansion some day will do a better job of showcasing that much better than the OST album does; fan edits that combine the OST with the isolated score with all the tracked bits taken out will already do that soon enough.

The BFG

This score is really good!  Not a "listen to over and over again" score, but one where every occasional listen is more rewarding then expected.

The Phantom Menace

Boy, this is just a classic.

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

One of my favorite RPG scores.  I wish I could find other scores like it; Bravely Default II is ok.

Final Fantasy VII Remake

One of my favorite scores of the 2020s, maybe even my #1 favorite, re-listening to all 12 hours gearing up for the sequel that comes out at the end of next month!

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Agreed. The OST is a disappointment, but the expanded score is among his best scores of the '90s.

I dunno. The OST is pretty damn amazing.

The thing with the Phantom Menace OST album is: If you've never seen the film, or ever heard any of the music from that score that isn't on the OST in any other way or anything; You just approach it as "the new album for the new Star Wars score by John Williams", it truly is great!  It's full of exciting new music, themes that fit into the world of his first three scores while also feeling fresh and new, and the performance by the LSO is astonishingly good - and its super well-recorded.  But even beyond all that, the album just flows well, and speaks for itself as its own musical program.

It's only when you see the film and probably notice all kinds of ADDITIONAL cool music that wasn't on the OST album, and/or then dive into the world of video game rips and fan edits (and the eventual UE), that you realize that Williams made some REALLY interesting decisions when deciding what to include on the OST album and what not to.  He pretty much came up with an album that nobody else would have.  Like if you gave 1,000 fans access to the complete sessions after they were done recording, before they could see the film or hear Williams' OST album, and told them to make a 75 minute album of highlights, probably pretty close to 1,000 of those fans would have included the action music with that great Force Theme statement from the opening action sequence, the "Anakin Is Free" music with that great Force Theme statement, the end battle cue for Anakin blowing up the Federation ship with THAT great Force Theme statement, at least two cues with Qui-Gon Jinn's theme, the "it's working!" and "Anakin Wins" fanfares, etc etc.  And they probably wouldn't have included Anakin's Theme and Duel of The Fates twice.

So yeah there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Phantom Menace OST album from one perspective, and A LOT missing from another perspective.

IMG_0059.jpeg
It’s a fine score, nothing earth-shattering. I heard a little bit Aliens in it. Enjoyed it overall, but probably won’t be revisiting it in the future.

In the middle of Johnny English Strikes Again. Anyone know what that great dance number is that JE dances to and that they couldn't include on this fine album?