What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

14 hours ago, Jay said:

The composer for Avengers 3 & 4 has not been announced yet.

Though Henry Jackman, who scored Winter Soldier for the Russos, did return to score Civil War for the Russos, and since they are directing Avengers 3 & 4, he seems likely...

It's kind of funny how short-lived "Brian Tyler as Marvel's house composer" was.

I wonder whether he's going to use Alan Silvestri's Avengers material (and other themes) in Civil War as Tyler, Elfman and Beck did in their scores.

Karol

A talented composer could do really cool deconstructions of the Avengers and Captain America themes for this movie

Well, Christophe Beck also did a variation on the theme in Ant-Man (at 1:09). And, in the same cue, he also had Jackman's Falcon theme from Winter Soldier (at about 1:31) and Ant-Man's theme (2:42) squaring off against each other in this cue.

And the best non-Silvestri variation on the Cap's theme can be found in Tyler's Thor: The Dark World (at 3:05):

Karol

I can't imagine Henry Jackman will do anything like that (since the one Silvestri moment in The Winter Soldier film was tracked in after all).

Yeah, it seems like we're going right back to where we started with the MCU. A mishmash of composers doing their own thing.  Which is fine, and you still get some cool scores out of it, but some semblance of thematic cohesion would be nice.

I would definitely like Silvestri to come back and do Infinity Wars, but considering the directors choice seems to be Jackman, it seems improbable. 

There are lots of Marvel films coming up, I don't see why they couldn't give him a chance with one of those though.

Gravity :music:

It's okay.  Not really "best original score" worthy in my mind but then again there wasn't any truly interesting competition among the nominees/other scores in general that year.

13th Warrior by Jerry Goldsmith: As sledge hammerish as this score can be at times I still enjoy the heck out of it.

Yes the theme is quite nice and surprisingly well rounded and long lined for such a film. Chrichton must have pleaded heavily to get Jerrald to write this score. And again Goldsmith was mining if not gold then surely silver from this messy affair of a movie. It is no mean feat to crank out this and The Mummy the same year and the composer was reportedly disgusted by that movie. The score turned more than OK in my opinion and you really can't hear his disinterest in the music at all.

11 hours ago, Michael said:

I would definitely like Silvestri to come back and do Infinity Wars, but considering the directors choice seems to be Jackman, it seems improbable. 

There are lots of Marvel films coming up, I don't see why they couldn't give him a chance with one of those though.

Perhaps he doesn't want to return. 

8 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Yes the theme is quite nice and surprisingly long lined for such a film. Chrichton must have pleaded heavily to get Jerrald to write this score. And again Goldsmith was mining if not gold then surely silver from this messy affair of a movie. It is no mean feat to crank out this and The Mummy the same year and the composer was reportedly disgusted by that movie. The score turned more than OK in my opinion and you really can't hear his disinterest in the music at all.

It was actually written a year prior.

The first Marianelli in a long time that sounds as if it could be potentially interesting. A bit too too reliant on middle eastern wailing but seems to be a musically varied affair.

We got 9 inches of snow this morning.... whoohooo

Can't listen to JW since two days... sorry I got a bug.

12932949_10207610144384387_4358644168799

20 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yes the theme is quite nice and surprisingly well rounded and long lined for such a film. Chrichton must have pleaded heavily to get Jerrald to write this score. And again Goldsmith was mining if not gold then surely silver from this messy affair of a movie. It is no mean feat to crank out this and The Mummy the same year and the composer was reportedly disgusted by that movie. The score turned more than OK in my opinion and you really can't hear his disinterest in the music at all.

If he hated The Mummy, I'd love to hear what he really thought of Deep Rising.

On April 7, 2016 at 2:41 AM, publicist said:

The first Marianelli in a long time that sounds as if it could be potentially interesting. A bit too too reliant on middle eastern wailing but seems to be a musically varied affair.

Heard this last week, lovely stuff. It's actually a 2002 score I believe that just got released, and it's littered with precursors to Jane Eyre and Agora. In fact the second last track features the chant that predominately supported the Agora score. On top of the usual nice Marianelli lyricism, there are some cool Adam-esque clustral writing. Good stuff indeed!

2 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

ID4

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
The Empire Strikes Back (Anthology)

Star Trek: First Contact

Batman Returns

I just ordered the rare 24 karat gold CD of ID4 through eBay. I won't rest until I have every edition of this score.

On 4/7/2016 at 1:09 AM, Mr. Big said:

Gravity :music:

It's okay.  Not really "best original score" worthy in my mind but then again there wasn't any truly interesting competition among the nominees/other scores in general that year.

Among the nominees, not especially (The Book Thief is decent, but my impression was it was pretty much Williams on auto-pilot), but other scores?  Desolation of Smaug, Prisoners, 42, Jimmy P, Knights of Badassdom, and Stoker were all that same year.

On 4/7/2016 at 1:40 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Her should have won that year.

Meh.

Pirates and the Caribbean: At World's End :music:

3 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Desolation of Smaug, Prisoners, 42, Jimmy P, Knights of Badassdom, and Stoker were all that same year.

Don't care for Prisoners (neither score nor film) nor any of the Hobbit scores.  Out of the others, I've only heard parts of 42, which sounded pretty boring to be honest.  

ReadersDigest2007.jpg

I think it's simply a compilation of Charles Gerhardt re-recordings of Korngold's music. I've heard the King's Row suite and the March of the Merry Men from Robin Hood before, but none of the others, although they were all pretty excellent. I need to give special mention to the theme from Of Human Bondage though - that first 30 seconds is some of the most delirium-inducing film music I've yet encountered! crazy-2.gif

1 hour ago, Mr. Big said:

Kung 2 Panda :music:

Pan :music:

I think this might be my favorite Peter Pan score

A soundtrack which includes one of the wildest, craziest, fastest, noisiest (in the best sense possible), maddest and most reckless film cues known to man: Rickshaw Chase

(and an otherwise excellent score as well!)

Godzilla 1998

One of my favorite scores! I miss David Arnold. The BSX 3 CD release is a steal. They're practically giving them away! The 2 CD release was my first LLL purchase, but I'm happy to retire it. The unreleased OST is a fantastic presentation. Highly recommended.

Through the dice on YouTube and been going through some Bernard Herrmann suites. Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Day the Earth Stood Still, Vertigo and a couple from the Twilight Zone.

Last night, a suite for the Eiger Sanction (love the piano in the theme and not least of all the funkiness of "Friends and Enemies") plus Hook (in its entirety). Bit of onion peeling ultimately. Ahem.

:music: Vertigo by Bernard Herrmann. Probably one of the definitive masterworks of film music. Pure magic in and outside of this classic film.

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Vertigo by Bernard Herrmann. Probably one of the definitive masterworks of film music. Pure magic in and outside of this classic film.

Karol

Without a doubt. The score that introduced me to Bernard Herrmann and his unique voice.

No not at all. I love the re-recording perhaps even more than the original tracks also released by Varese.

Apparently there is also a more complete re-recording of the score out there, which came with a book called Feature Film by Douglas Gordon.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Chicken Runnings :music:

Kazoos for victory!

2 hours ago, publicist said:

But which recording?

McNeely. One of my very favourite albums of all time,

Today, I'm following this one with the only logical choice... Tadlow's Obsession.

Karol