Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

You're right. This is an outrage. The movie has just become unwatchable. Thank you for letting me know, so I can save my $6.50 on something else.

What theater are you going to? Keehrist man. Mine is $11.50

I think using the original piece in a flashback adds a nice nostalgic sense. I won't fault them for it if it works in a creative and story sense.

The trailer does worry me a little in that they seem to have really dramatised things between Voldemort and Harry. It was much more subtle, sinister and cold in the book.

At this stage i'm just happy to hear some other Williams music than Hedwig's theme. And maybe Desplat used Williams material in his own tracks as well...

For the record, I prefer my pie without cream.

what kind of pie? Some pies go well with cream others do not.

I've been on the same page with Henry on the finale for some time. Bring on "Leaving Hogwarts", whether it be re-recorded or tracked without the slightest change. I'll get a little choked up, I'm sure, and it takes quite a bit for that to happen to me in a film, particularly one I've never seen before.

The only things that will disappoint me will be the fact that it'll be tacked onto the end of a much different score, and that the reprise of this material will be cheapened by the fact that COS already reused it in its absolutely offensive final scene.

The trailer does worry me a little in that they seem to have really dramatised things between Voldemort and Harry. It was much more subtle, sinister and cold in the book.

I think it was kind of inevitable that they were going to ramp up the action in the final moments. Which I don't necessarily mind, I kind of like the idea of having a more kinetic approach to the final duel for the movie, as opposed to the very literary version in the book. And a lot of the clips between the two of them look pretty great, but at least one moment makes me worry that they've gone a little far...

As for "Leaving Hogwarts", sure, bring it on! I'll appreciate the nostalgia in that particular scene, and it won't spoil the first 100 minutes or so of original Desplat music.

...I can save my $6.50 on something else.

What theater are you going to? Keehrist man. Mine is $11.50

I can buy discounted tickets through work. But the fact this movie was filmed in 3D and will be "the" event movie of the summer, being the final installment of the saga, I may splurge and drive two hours for IMAX.

Could it be fawkes theme?

i think COS featured scoenes with both harry and dumblendore, and fawkes..

'A new beggining' sounds fitting for the 'rebirth'

And the guy who posted the cue lists is called phoenix! ;)

BTW datameister...leaving hogwarts in COS is great, isnt it? :blink: or are you refering to the footage (that i dont remember a single shot)

It wasn't filmed in 3D, it was post-converted

but supposedly with the time and care that is requried, not on the cheap like Thor, Clash of the Titans, and Green Lantern.

BTW datameister...leaving hogwarts in COS is great, isnt it? :blink: or are you refering to the footage (that i dont remember a single shot)

I'd say that the music is impressive but meaningless. The original cue was very reserved and thoughtful. The CoS ending is an overload of bombast.

Chamber of Secrets has so many good musical moments. It also looks terrific on Blu. It's also the last time in the series the sky is bright blue.

It's also the last time in the series the sky is bright blue.

You sure about that? There's a scene in POA and OOTP where there's a bright blue sky.

I guess you haven't heard "Voldemort" from Goblet of Fire. Or "The Locket" from Deathly Hallows!

You mean Destroying the Locket. It's the only cool thing in the score

Clean the wax out of your ears, there's a whole lot more to enjoy.

... I just don't get the animosity for Desplat's Part 1 score here. Okay, some motifs are underdeveloped but where's the love for the action music? I thought you guys loved the action music. :angry:

Obliviate is alright, Sky Battle has ok parts

But nothing Williams could do 10X better

I dunno I don't really return to that score on my playlist

... I just don't get the animosity for Desplat's Part 1 score here. Okay, some motifs are underdeveloped but where's the love for the action music? I thought you guys loved the action music. :angry:

I think the Sky Battle is a commendable action track but the rest of them are less gripping. The score has a plethora of motifs and thematic ideas that just come off a bit too subtle and understated, most likely the result of film makers' demand for continuation of the somber and "realistic" tones of the previous films. I can respect Desplat for implementing so many musical ideas in the score but the music just does not have the same effect on me as JWs or even Doyle's has, emotionally. I am not saying that everything should be as it was in the first scores or that Desplat should have smashed you on the head with big and simple themes but some kind of direct emotional themes would have been nice.

Could someone perhaps write a sort of track-by-track analysis on the score, bonus cues and all. I would be very interested to read one. Perhaps that could clarify the score for me a bit. I did one myself back when the CD came out and posted it in the previous HP thread but it would be nice to have proper identification to all the musical motifs as I have not seen the film nor know the plot intimately.

I'm going to give it another listen tonight. I can't even recall Destroying The Locket.

Maybe it's one I have to give some time to. I definitely like it, but I wouldn't be able to say it's exceptional at this time. Nothing terribly memorable for me.

Everyone has their own tastes. some love the Super 8 clips while I find what I have heard cloying and too much like Giacchino's other Abrams' work, right down to the simple chord progressions (frankly I'm getting sick of hearing such simplistic stuff pass as main theme material). I'm with you Matt on this one. I finally had a chance to see the film and thought the music was one of the high points to an otherwise muddled, slightly boring viewing experience.

Obliviate is alright, Sky Battle has ok parts

But nothing Williams could do 10X better

That can be applied to like 90% of what is out there now, not just Desplat. Just think what Williams would have done with Super 8....(sorry to pick on Mike G.)

I still think it's possible that Williams scored the last film in secret.

I think you're confusing this with Chamber of Secrets. I like Desplat and unlike other composers, he does seem to push himself in different directions, but not all the time. If he keeps on scoring 11 films a year, he'll burn out.

COS is a Williams score, through and through. I dunno what Ross did...it was evidently enough to be worth crediting him, but every bit of music in that film came from Williams' brain.

Chamber Of Secrets is worse.

I am probably the only person on this board who thinks its the best Potter movie.

No, you're not.

I think it's the best, second to PoA.

I never got the hate for CoS. It's a very atmospheric film full of good storytelling and some of JW's finest music.

For what it is, I also like HBP and DH very much. But CoS is the better FILM for me. The last three films felt like book adaptions.

1. PoA

2. CoS

3. HBP

4. DH

5. SS

6. GoF

7. OotP

Order of the Phoenix is just awful in my eyes.

By the way, are there lyrics available for "My Love Is Always Here"?

I am probably the only person on this board who thinks its the best Potter movie.

It's very close between Chamber and Azkaban for me.

I honestly don't understand the CoS hating.

And not just this board, but in general.

I think it's the most beautifully shot of the 7 films so far.

I also think that for all the Hate for Columbus, he certainly got the right team together and selected the right actors and got the look down pat.

He deserves a lot of credit for getting the world of Harry Potter right.

By the way, are there lyrics available for "My Love Is Always Here"?

I cut and pasted these from an Ask Yahoo! reply:

Oh sleep, sweet babe

Though the storm is violently around;

Just sleep, dear babe

Though the wind's a keen and icy sound.

Oh hush, sweet babe

There is nothing you should fear;

Just hush, dear babe

Oh, my love is always here.

I lightly hold you safe in my arms

Sun or rain will not touch you

Will not come to harm.

Lay calm, dear babe

Now the night is nearly through;

Lay calm, sweet babe

There’s a world waiting here for you.

GOF and OOTP are my least favorites, but while I like COS, I still think it's a tad overlong, and sometimes embarrassingly heavy-handed in the humor, the emotions, and some of the exposition. POA was the first Potter film to make me genuinely laugh out loud, and to make me feel like I was watching real people. Except perhaps the Mirror of Erised, there's nothing in the first two films like the scenes with Professor Lupin, particularly when he scolds Harry for wandering around the castle at night. Like all the post-Columbus films, though, it definitely needs to explain more than it does, or at least more cleverly disguise its plot holes.

And I do agree with Joey that Chris Columbus gets far too much hate in some circles.

Prisoner Of Azkaban is the only film in the series that can stand on its own, in my opinion. It's dark and brooding yet full of whimsical moments. It's a self-contained story; featuring the brilliant Gary Oldman. Packed with the punch of Williams' perfect score and the stylish direction of Alfonso Cuaron.

I should pick up the Blu-ray, but might wait for the inevitable completer series pack.

Prisoner Of Azkaban is the only film in the series that can stand on its own, in my opinion. It's dark and brooding yet full of whimsical moments. It's a self-contained story; featuring the brilliant Gary Oldman. Packed with the punch of Williams' perfect score and the stylish direction of Alfonso Cuaron.

I should pick up the Blu-ray, but might wait for the inevitable completer series pack.

I think it's a great adventure film. It's the best story out of all the books so that helps, too. The dementors, the marauders, the time-turner, the knight bus, the hypogriff... The pace is very good and it's got a special charm on its own, like they really got what can make a Potter story work and what not.

You've always been quite the Potter fan, haven't you. Does it stem from a love of the books, or do you just like the movies in their own right? Do you much prefer it to LotR?