La-La Land Announces Star Trek V (Complete)

Ollie

I think he means the four note theme from Star Trek V. It's heard all over the place in V, even as a danger motif in one spot I remember, and then it's used again all over the place in First Contact, particularly in scenes Picard shares with Lilly. I can't remember if it's used in Insurrection but I do know it's featured in the speech Picard gives at the wedding in Nemesis.

Goldsmith was being pragmatic and saw an opportunity to tie the different movies together with some broader ideas like the 4-note theme. This was of course a big red light to the dedicated fanboys, who cried FOUL! in 1996, because this theme was associated with Part V, read: NOT TNG.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears in V, FC, Insurrection and Nemesis.

I've heard other people describe it as the Captain's theme.

As for the Klingon theme being used for Worf, I don't mind it because it represents him as a warrior, not evil. And I will admit it's another one of those music moments that brings a smile to my face. The first time I heard it in FC I couldn't help but laugh.

It's the best that can be expected for a film series that defied musical continuity at every turn. The last TOS film was scored by a newcomer with new themes, and so was the transition film. I wonder if Generations might have been improved by some well placed use of Goldsmith's theme.

No, I think Dennis McCarthy did a fine job.

The only theme that needed to be re-used was Courage's fanfare. Personally, I think Goldsmith nailed it with his theme and it could have been the main theme for all the films. But I think each composer managed to come up with music that fits each film perfectly.

The TOS Main Theme was really unsuitable for Star Trek: The Motion Picture as the main theme back in '79, though it was re-orchestrated by Alexander Courage for 3 Captain's Log sequences in the film. With Star Wars on the scene, Goldsmith needed to write something bigger, more orchestral, mure "current" in a way. So he did.

When it came to TWOK, Nicholas Meyer wanted to change virtually everything he could to get it "Nautical but Nice", and he could not afford Goldsmith. TWOK required a theme more suited to a sea adventure translation to space, aka Hornblower, which Horner provided with his own themes.

Throuhgout all of the movies and most of the TV series, Alexander Courage's fanfare, and sometimes his theme, has been adapted.

The way I see it, the films have a very strong and diverse musical pedigree that comes from TOS, but reflecting fully all of the different ideas that Star Trek can represent.

Star Wars and Indiana Jones had the big advantage of a single composer for all of the film entries. Same for Lord of the Rings.

I'm thankful for the diverse and varied films and scores we have for Star Trek. The music speaks for itself. :)

I think what's fascinating is that every composer that has come to Star Trek, even Rosenmasn, whose score is surprisingly good if not very Star Trek, has managed to write music that is head and shoulders above most of what's out there. And it didn't matter if it was newbie Eidelman/Horner or experienced Goldsmith.

And the question really is how and why?

Well it's no surprise with Goldsmith.

The rest, McCarthy had experience from the 7 seasons of TNG, Horner was young and inspired, Rosenman, Eidelman and Giscchino, as well as Horner, worked with directors who allowed them to be themselves.

Plus regardless of how well the films turned out, the spirit and subject matter was and is good.

I think the reason is a combination of composer and idea.

In each case, Star Trek provided an enormous emotional and thematic canvas that is not always provided, so the composers opened up their playbooks and stretched their creative muscles.

The Composers are simply very well chosen, and well suited to the films, as well as being some of the best in the business.

Cliff Eidelman has rarely been given the opportunity to create something on the scale of Star Trek VI either before or since. Goldsmith was simply great in general, so Star Trek got that benefit.

Star Trek II and Star Trek III were really breakthrough scores for a composer hungry for work and climbing the ladder.

Anxiously awaiting delivery... which'll probably be on Monday. *sigh* I'd love for once to be lucky and have mine show up before the weekend so I can enjoy it on my down time. I'm trying to be patient.

The samples were great to hear, lovely to finally hear some of the previously-unreleased music at last without audio or fx.

Should've been playing this OST back in 2008 while my wife and I were at Yosemite, but didn't think of it at the time. Oh, well. (Did remember to listen to the "Somewhere in Time" soundtrack last year while staying at Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island! :P )

ETA:

Dang. Not in today's mail. *sigh* Guess I gotta wait til Monday. Oh well. Just not my week, is it...

I'm kind of wondering whether to order this release now or not...

Karol - who now can afford it

If you can afford it now, I would jump on it. Trust me you won't regret buying it.

I'm thinking it maybe sold out in the next couple of months, so best to get it while you can.

It's weekend now so I guess it can wait til Monday. I think I'm going to get this and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm or Dragonslayer. Or Krull. Or two of these. Always wanted to get them, but it never turned out that way.

Karol - who's still thinking of buying Spartacus.

Listened to disc 1 of LLL's set today. Nice score. Reminded me a lot of First Contact, actually. (Yes I know FC was written 7 years later, but I've had that OST since I saw the film in theaters and have never owned the ST5 OST)

Klingon Theme is overused a bit, perhaps. Not sure whats up with the warpspeed (?) sound effects in the main and end titles

Listened to disc 1 of LLL's set today. Nice score. Reminded me a lot of First Contact, actually. (Yes I know FC was written 7 years later, but I've had that OST since I saw the film in theaters and have never owned the ST5 OST)

Klingon Theme is overused a bit, perhaps. Not sure whats up with the warpspeed (?) sound effects in the main and end titles

It's just the Synclavier Effects. Ironically enough it never appeared again in any of Goldsmith's Star Trek scores after Star Trek V. I actually thought it was pretty cool to hear.

Regarding the Klingon theme. I don't think it was ever overused. After all it only appeared when Captain Klaa and his crew were shown on the screen. It was quite fitting.

Goddamn USPS and their crappyness. My LLL order shipped on Tuesday and I still don't have it. Not to mention my brother shipped me my Haunted Honeymoon and Unstoppable CDs priority and I don't have those either. Why can't everything just be UPS and Fedex?

I don't have my shit either. It's just taking a while to reach eastern US I guess.

I live in the Ocean State too and nothing yet. Maybe Saturday or Monday, but the sdtk will come soon. ;)

Mine shipped from SAE yesterday. I was afraid it would take longer since I asked for my Spacecamp replacement with it too. Looking forward to getting it by the middle of next week hopefully.

Got my moviemusic shipping notice for Trek V, Batman Returns, and of course Home Alone. Batman and Trek will remain sealed until the new year, as I am in full Christmas listening mode.

No ST:V joy for me :P I ordered in the first 20 minutes & live in southern California. Go figure.

Instead, I am starting on listening to the Ron Jones Project. ;)

Mine shipped from SAE yesterday. I was afraid it would take longer since I asked for my Spacecamp replacement with it too. Looking forward to getting it by the middle of next week hopefully.

Mine's still pending.

It'll arrive, guys.

Wanted to share some thoughts:

- The Movie versions of the cues are pretty different to the album in many places, and there was some great variations I didn't expect, such as Without Help when the shuttle starts barrelling torards the Enterprise shuttlebay.

- The unreleased portions are fantastic. No Harm and Raid on Paradise are cues I noticed in the film, but Target Practice and Plot Course are fantastic.

- The sound quality is pristine. Awesome.

- Life Is A Dream film version has the Rams Horn sound, but not the clunky track from A Busy Man. I like it that way, but may do some editing as another alternate.

- I've not had a chance to listen to it all yet (Got to An Angry God and skipped around a bit for time), but I love it so far.

- I read a bit of the liner notes, and they are very, very nice.

This release is about as perfect as it gets. Combined with Batman Returns, I'd say they knocked it out of the park, and into orbit.

I know Lukas Kendall and some of the FSM people collaborated on this one, and even interviewing Ron Jones for the liner notes was great.

Every detail of this release was spot-on perfect. The booklet design fits the Star Trek II and III aesthetic, while also reminding me of the TMP 20th Anniversary set in a way.

Let's see, in the last few years, we've had:

Star Trek II Complete

Star Trek III Complete

Star Trek V Complete

Star Trek (2009) 99% Complete

The Ron Jones Project

2009 and 2010 have been REALLY good to me as a Star Trek fan and a film score fan.

I humbly beg, plead, ask, pray and request that the masters of the soundtrack speciality labels keep up the good work, and try to collectively tackle the following releases:

Star Trek TMP Complete

Star Trek IV Complete

Star Trek VI Complete

I am sure that this is on everyone's mind. This music deserves to be heard and presented.

I assume nothing but best efforts and an eagerness to order any of these titles the instant they become available.

- Life Is A Dream film version has the Rams Horn sound, but not the clunky track from A Busy Man. I like it that way, but may do some editing as another alternate.

The part with "A Busy Man" in the film itself for the "End Credits" was just an editorial creative edit. If you pay attention you can hear the edit for it and it's a rather bad one. How "Life Is A Dream (End Credits)" are presented on the first disc is how it was originally recorded. I think the version on Disc 2 with out the ram horn is an alternate to see if it would have worked or not.

All though some may argue that both versions would have worked but the version with the ram horn sounds a lot better in my opinion.

I would not doubt either if in the next several years we get the rest of the Star Trek scores complete from the labels. All though I suspect Varèse would release Star Trek Nemesis. If they do I hope it's really complete and not a botched release like Giacchino's Star Trek.

I know Joel Goldsmith had talked about wanting to release the full score for First Contact through his label a few years ago. However, with him having scored Stargate Atlantis and now Stargate Universe, I would imagine he's too busy to worry about a score release like that. I think it would take either FSM or La-La Land to release First Contact.

The part with "A Busy Man" in the film itself for the "End Credits" was just an editorial creative edit. If you pay attention you can hear the edit for it and it's a rather bad one. How "Life Is A Dream (End Credits)" are presented on the first disc is how it was originally recorded. I think the version on Disc 2 with out the ram horn is an alternate to see if it would have worked or not.

that's why I like it that way. No clunky edit :wave:

All though some may argue that both versions would have worked but the version with the ram horn sounds a lot better in my opinion.

Six of one, half dozen of the other really. But I do love that Ram's Horn.

I would not doubt either if in the next several years we get the rest of the Star Trek scores complete from the labels. All though I suspect Varèse would release Star Trek Nemesis. If they do I hope it's really complete and not a botched release like Giacchino's Star Trek.

Varese did make a number of mistakes on that release, no doubt. Still love what we have there.

I know Lukas and co. at FSM would probably LOVE to release ST:TMP. The issue with that one is figuring out rights ownership. Purely legal.

Since LLL, Varese and FSM have made major Star Trek expansions, for simple fairness sake, I personally would have Intrada release TMP.

I know Joel Goldsmith had talked about wanting to release the full score for First Contact through his label a few years ago. However, with him having scored Stargate Atlantis and now Stargate Universe, I would imagine he's too busy to worry about a score release like that. I think it would take either FSM or La-La Land to release First Contact.

FreeClyde definately has a lot of balls in the air, so it may be a little while.

I have a feeling Varese might want to tackle the TNG films. Of course, Generations, First Contact and Insurrection are all GNP releases, which might impede things. Just look at TBOBW restrictions on FSM's Ron Jones set.

LLL might actually be the ones to tackle TMP, given that the score was last expanded by Sony, as was Trek V, and both are Goldsmith.

I suspect The Motion Picture would come from La-La Land, considering they were able to get Star Trek V released and they have a good relationship with Sony right now.

I remember Jeff Bond posted earlier in the year that rights issues is what's holding up a complete release for The Motion Picture. Hopefully they get it straightened out by next year and are able to get it to us. I suspect that one would sell out quick.

I suspect The Motion Picture would come from La-La Land, considering they were able to get Star Trek V released and they have a good relationship with Sony right now.

I remember Jeff Bond posted earlier in the year that rights issues is what's holding up a complete release for The Motion Picture. Hopefully they get it straightened out by next year and are able to get it to us. I suspect that one would sell out quick.

Amen to that !!!

My package arrived today and wow what a difference in listening to the complete score, the film versions are quite different in some places and the sound is superb.

It's funny, some of the scenes that I thought had unusual sound effects were actually Goldsmith's synths. I already thought highly of this score but my admiration for it has increased with this release.

My package arrived today and wow what a difference in listening to the complete score, the film versions are quite different in some places and the sound is superb.

This is how they are. Didn't you know that? Now learn something about yourself.

I hope Intrada will release TMP once all that legal stuff is resolved. Or Trek VI since Dec 2011 will be the 20th anniv. It's time for Intrada to join the ranks to release a Trek score or two. :wave:

Oh still listening to Trek V. Love it!

Jay has them though, and he's up in Boston.

Actually my physical copies didn't arrive until Saturday (shipped Wednesday)

I hope Intrada will release TMP once all that legal stuff is resolved. Or Trek VI since Dec 2011 will be the 20th anniv. It's time for Intrada to join the ranks to release a Trek score or two. ;)

Oh still listening to Trek V. Love it!

I still think La-La Land will be releasing Star Trek The Motion Picture after all the rights issues get cleared up.

Reason 1: They just released the full score for Star Trek V.

Reason 2: They have a great relationship with Sony right now.