Star Wars Saga Blu-Ray Movies Announced

Trent B

I don't really care about the walkie-talkies. If Spielberg had actually shot it that way originally, no one would think twice about the shot. And moreover, I'm sure there'd be equal uproar over him introducing guns into the shot if he'd originally used walke-talkies.

However, the CG E.T. stands out like a sore thumb in a lot of shots. Some shots are improved, but for the most part, when it cuts from the puppet to the CG model, it looks like it's cutting from the puppet to the CG model.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully Spielberg was smart enough to include the original.

Which is why there aren't raging fanboys still rambling on about the changes made for the 20th Anniversary Edition. There's no need to. They can watch the original with the same quality as the new version.

Are you paying attention here, Mr. Lucas?

However, the CG E.T. stands out like a sore thumb in a lot of shots. Some shots are improved, but for the most part, when it cuts from the puppet to the CG model, it looks like it's cutting from the puppet to the CG model.

Like in Jurassic park.

Come on guys bring it on the JP 20th anniversary edition (my god, only two years from now on!) with no animatronics and full CGI! ;)

Like in Jurassic park.

Yes and no. You can definitely tell in Jurassic Park, but for some reason, it's just not as much of an issue. Part of it is simply the fact that it doesn't switch too much. The T-rex and raptors are real whenever possible, the triceratops is always real, the brachiosaurus is always CG in its first scene (and the one that sneezes is mostly real), the gallimimus flock is all CG, the dilophosaurus is always real...you get the idea. It also helps that the CG dinosaurs are not too...ambitious. There aren't too many of them, and they don't do anything too outlandish. They weren't using computers as an excuse to go crazy and do whatever they could possibly imagine; the CG was just a tool that allowed them to portray the dinosaurs doing things that they just couldn't do any other way.

The CG and animatronic dinos do look slightly different. Like the T-Rex. I can't really explain how it looks different. The CG version has more of a weird toothy grin or something. Maybe it's the other way around.

Also, you guys are ignoring the biggest mistake made in the E.T. 20th edition, where they removed the shotgun from the end of the bike chase and the glaring edit in the score. What were they thinking. I mean, at least if Williams had re-scored that section. Possibly the worst edit in a John Williams score.

The CG and animatronic dinos do look slightly different. Like the T-Rex. I can't really explain how it looks different. The CG version has more of a weird toothy grin or something. Maybe it's the other way around.

Also, you guys are ignoring the biggest mistake made in the E.T. 20th edition, where they removed the shotgun from the end of the bike chase and the glaring edit in the score. What were they thinking. I mean, at least if Williams had re-scored that section. Possibly the worst edit in a John Williams score.

I would have never seen it. I don't watch that version. I would rather die in a fire.

Possibly the worst edit in a John Williams score.

Sorry, ET, that "honour" goes to the very end of "Yoda And The force" being replaced with "The Imperial March".

Sorry, ET, that "honour" goes to the very end of "Yoda And The force" being replaced with "The Imperial March".

I suppose putting that back as it should be is one good thing about the SEs.

Personally, I think the edit of the picnic in AOTC is worse.

How about the beginning of "Rebels At Bay" being replaced by a quote from "Hyperspace"?

that wasnt too bad of an edit Richard

and i liked how the restored the score to the shot when Leia is watching Boba Fett take off

How about the beginning of "Rebels At Bay" being replaced by a quote from "Hyperspace"?

I have no real problems with any of the edits in the OT. Even the end of (Luke's Nocturnal Visitor?) when Han returns on his tauntaun, or the beginning of 'Yoda and the Force' on both 'The Rebel Fleet' and 'Brother and Sister' don't bother me that much.

• 3 months later...

This is why flash content sucks.

STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA ON BLU-RAY is presented in widescreen with 6.1 DTS Surround Sound. Special features include:

DISC ONE – STAR WARS: EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MENACE

Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires

Audio Commentary from Archival Interviews with Cast and Crew

DISC TWO – STAR WARS: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES

Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow

DISC THREE – STAR WARS: EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH

Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll and Roger Guyett

DISC FOUR – STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE

Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC FIVE – STAR WARS: EPISODE V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SIX – STAR WARS: EPISODE VI RETURN OF THE JEDI

Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SEVEN – NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES I-III

Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; a flythrough of the Lucasfilm Archives and more

DISC EIGHT – NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI

Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more

DISC NINE – THE STAR WARS DOCUMENTARIES

NEW! Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes) – Some Star Wars fans want to collect action figures...these fans want to be action figures! A tribute to the 501st Legion, a global organization of Star Wars costume enthusiasts, this insightful documentary shows how the super-fan club promotes interest in the films through charity and volunteer work at fundraisers and high-profile special events around the world.

NEW! A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes) – George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and John Williams look back on the making of The Empire Strikes Back in this in-depth retrospective from Lucasfilm created to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the movie. The masters discuss and reminisce about one of the most beloved films of all time.

NEW! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes) – The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more — and don’t miss “Weird Al” Yankovic’s one-of-a-kind music video tribute to The Phantom Menace!

The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes) – Learn the incredible behind-the-scenes story of how the original Star Wars movie was brought to the big screen in this fascinating documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2. Includes interviews with George Lucas and appearances by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) – Learn the secrets of making movies in a galaxy far, far away. Hosted by Mark Hamill, this revealing documentary offers behind-the-scenes glimpses into the amazing special effects that transformed George Lucas’ vision for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back into reality!

Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) – Go behind the scenes — and into the costumes — as production footage from Return of the Jedi is interspersed with vintage monster movie clips in this in-depth exploration of the painstaking techniques utilized by George Lucas to create the classic creatures and characters seen in the film. Hosted and narrated by Carrie Fisher and Billie Dee Williams.

Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes) – See how some of the special effects in Star Wars became even more special two decades later! George Lucas explains and demonstrates how his team transformed the original dewback creatures from immovable rubber puppets (in the original 1977 release) to seemingly living, breathing creatures for the Star Wars 1997 Special Edition update.

Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes) – Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today.

X

Feel The Force of the Star Wars Infinite Saga Site!

This September, the Star Wars Saga comes to Blu-ray for the very first time. Now you can be part of this groundbreaking release, through the magic of “infinite zoom” technology.

When you share this site with your friends, exclusive imagery from the release will be revealed. And the more the site is shared around the world, the more the world will see.

So spread the word today and “zoom” into the the ultimate insider’s view of Star Wars on Blu-ray!

Some nice special features there. I'll probably buy this.

They included documentaries about Weird Al Yankovich's parodies and idiots who dress like stormtroopers... and nothing about Williams and his music (except for that scant TESB featurette). That's not what I call excellent extra features. Bah.

It will be nice to finally have the original 1977 1980 and 1983 documentaries in perfect quality

Some nice special features there. I'll probably buy this.

They included documentaries about Weird Al Yankovich's parodies and idiots who dress like stormtroopers... and nothing about Williams and his music (except for that scant TESB featurette). That's not what I call excellent extra features. Bah.

Plus no original trilogy in it's original form.

I'm not wasting any money on this. My wife had me buy the regular DVD sets of the original trilogy when they were released and they just sit there collecting dust in our house.

Plus no original trilogy in it's original form.

I'm not wasting any money on this. My wife had me buy the regular DVD sets of the original trilogy when they were released and they just sit there collecting dust in our house.

Considering how much money I already spent over the course of the years on Star Wars home video releases, I feel exactly the same. I'll dip again only when the unaltered OT will be released in decent quality.

It will be nice to finally have the original 1977 1980 and 1983 documentaries in perfect quality

Hell yes! I can't wait to see those again after all these years!

Terrible. Having a giant Yoda for the prequels makes no sense as he wasn't a main character

The complete saga art is just.... dumb. I dunno how to describe it. They both look like they're hunched over weird

The complete saga art is just.... dumb. I dunno how to describe it. They both look like they're hunched over weird

The concept is good. but it looks cheap.

Damn struzan for retiring.

Yoda Cover is a stupid design idea

The one with Vader basically looks great, but who had the "great" idea to put the main heroes all over the place??? does look like a bad montage...

The saga design.. well interesting idea, very brave to choose that motive as main design to represent the saga - the story of the Skywalkers" and the planet they both grew up - but not a very good decision if you ask me

I would not reduce the saga to THAT artwork!

Jesus, those covers are nauseating. Star Wars may be many things, but that "art" is not reflective of the spirit of these films.

The OT one is weird, minor characters get bigger headshots than the major ones

Man, I wanted to like the blu-ray release, but it sounds pretty unimpressive. I like the complete saga cover, but the others just look odd. And the special features aren't all that exciting. If they were the theatrical versions of the OT, or even the 1997 re-releases I'd be inclined to get it, but as it is... not really.

Can I just say again how wretched those covers are? I had to search before finding an image of Luke Skywalker... you know, the guy who the trilogy was really about.

Agreed about the terrible covers. I kind of like the style they were going for with each trilogy's cover, but the way they laid it out makes no sense and there are some spots that look a little cheap. As for the complete saga cover, the concept is actually really awesome...but the execution is very lacking here, too. Looks like a mediocre digital painting that some fan uploaded to deviantART.

I will not be buying this set.

I do agree the artwork is pretty bad. I'm still going to buy it though. I'm a bit disappointed that they really didn't give much information about the set. Just details that we figured would be there. I too am wondering why they didn't include the documentary from Star Wars To Jedi.

I am also really disappointed that they could have added the complete Prequel scores to the set on one of the discs along with remastered OT scores but didn't. I'm hoping the Prequel scores still get their intended releases this year, or soon...

One big 'meh' from me. A definitive blu-ray release, and nothing even remotely special to celebrate the music?

That's not entirely true:

swbd-conversation.jpg

Oh no its Lawrence Kasdan. He sounded quite inebriated on the Raiders of the Lost Ark DVD documentary, with his naturally slurring speech. I spent half the time laughing at him as he was telling all the anecdotes about writing the film which was not exactly the intention. But the man sounded funny. :)

Oh and hey Kershner sounds just like Kermit so maybe he can put up a challegence against Kasdan. ;)