What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

The only bad thing about Suspiria is the seventies colour of its fake blood. It undermines the thick air of dread the film otherwise has. 

Haven't seen Suspiria in years but I remember being completely put off by it, posting about it here, and being promptly told I don't know anything. Good times, they haven't changed much!

Shadow Dancer. It's a good story, but the way it was told just isn't my thing. Hardly any music, let alone Irish music, a barely functional score, doom and gloom etc. Didn't understand the ending either and it was really weird that the protagonist suddenly started kising the undercover agent fron no apparent reason. Also surprised how any IRA member could decide to turn against the IRA in two minutes.

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

There goes Brundlefly's credibility!

There are more than 300 movies in my collection and BD is among the worst. I just wanted to say that UF does everything right that BD doesn't. Although the latter is not politically serious and consequent enough, it is intense and has great acting.

Or what do you mean?

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You mean the first Maestro, right?

Nope, I mean Jerry Goldsmith and I personally consider him the number two. But that's just a subjective matter. Objectively, as a composer, he probably shares the throne with John Williams.

...would be a great sitcom: :wub:"John and Jerry":wub:

"More synthesizer."

"No, more xylophone."

"How about a synth-xylophone?"

"It's not supposed to be like Warlock, it's supposed to be good!

Prometheus. This is the first time I watched this film since its release day. I didn't hate it nearly as much this time but that must have something to do with no expectations. It still doesn't really work: tone is inconsistent, pacing is poor, characters are flat, tension almost non-existent. But still one has to marvel at Ridley Scott's talent to stage a s-f epic. He can just create that awe-inspiring vistas and grand environments. The film actually looks very good - design and special effects aged very well (very uncommon in modern day). It's such a shame it isn't better because the idea itself and central concept aren't that bad at all.

Oh and Blu-ray transfer is really great.

Karol

Just now, BloodBoal said:

One thing is certain: I'm tired of Johansson. Can the guys at Hollywood please find a different actress (that isn't Jennfier Lawrence!) to put in all their movies? Thank you.

I loved her small role in Hail Caesar, she should do more comedies.  She can be very, very funny.

23 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

One thing is certain: I'm tired of Johansson. Can the guys at Hollywood please find a different actress (that isn't Jennfier Lawrence!) to put in all their movies? Thank you.

You consider Under The Skin a Hollywood movie?  Ok......

Did I say that? May have phrased it poorly, but you get what I was trying to say!

Anyway... Clearly would not brand it as the masterpiece many people seem to say it is. Would have been more effective as a short film (or medium-length, at best).

I don't think it's necessarily a masterpiece... but I'm glad they're making all those smaller s-f films lately. This, Arrival, Ex Machina even 10 Cloverfield Lane. They're so much more interesting to watch than all those big blockbusters.

Karol

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Under The Skin - Jonathan Glazer (2013)

Well... hum... that was... hum... well... hum... not sure... There's some good stuff, I suppose... But then there's stuff that is not so good... and... it's a bit long for what it's trying to achieve, no?

Incorrect!

Please try again.

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Under The Skin - Jonathan Glazer (2013)

Well... hum... that was... hum... well... hum... not sure... There's some good stuff, I suppose... But then there's stuff that is not so good... and... it's a bit long for what it's trying to achieve, no?

I wish I could say something about it but nothing about that movie has stuck with me.

Isn't it some kind of 'alternative' remake of Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce?

Image result for lifeforce tobe hooper

I mean, if this was Scarlett Johansson you would understand what I'm saying ...

Rented Doctor Strange last night, my wife's first time seeing it, my 2nd. Such a fun movie with all those ridiculous proper nouns and cool visual effects. I can't wait to see where they go in the sequel (which I assume is a 2019 movie probably?).

It was effective, (well I turned it off after 30 minutes), but I don't like the formula of being scared all the time. I would have been more interested had they told the story in drama style.

Depends on what you call cheap. In the bit I watched, there were about seven moments when something happened that needed a huge 'explosion' of sound. I was tired of changing the volume.

The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey (1988)

navigator2.jpg

Visually striking, looks particularly advanced for a late 80's movie, like something you would see in a mid-90's blockbuster movie -and even some beautiful black and white photography very reminiscent of Bergman's work; and the actors are great, particularly the kid who plays Griffin does a great job. But it's pretty weak script-wise. The story is simple enough, but if falls flat in a lot of places where it should have been easy to make a compelling moment, or lingers too much on unsubtantial moments like that God-awful scene with Ulf not being able to cross the road... Ugh...

It's not bad, but it could have been so much more. The ending is quite intriguing, though. Anyone else seen it and care to share what it meant? I'm not sure I understood to be honest and I don't think I enjoyed it enough to watch it again, apart from some brilliant visual moments here and there.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Howards End

A masterpiece, one of my favorite films ever made.

Agreed! Morlock never got this film. To him it was a film about nothing and that's why he preferred The Remains Of The Day.

:up:

It's one of the discussions with Morlock that I still remember. And the reason why I remember is because Howards End is one of my favorite movies but Morlock said it has nothing to say and that there is no relevant content. It was then that I knew for sure that Morlock was a fraud. I already suspected that he was one when he said that Blade Runner is a cold, empty movie and that it simply isn't a match for Dark City.To be honest, I think Morlock was too much aping the opinion of the late Roger Ebert. 

Alex

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ebert loved Howards End. He had it in his Great Movies collection.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-howards-end-1992

I was thinking about Dark City and Blade Runner. When Morlock talk about those films it was like Ebert had took control over Morlock's account. 

Home Alone

There are some laughs, but damn is Kevin McCallister one annoyingly precocious kid. No wonder he got sent to his room and got abandoned by his family on TWO occasions. Chris Columbus' direction is rather ham-fisted and John Hughes piles on the slapstick humor like no tomorrow. I have to give Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern credit for selling the laughs, although Stern's overacting is grating.

I think I prefer Lost in New York. It's a carbon copy of the first, but the pacing is better and more heart on display.

17 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Agreed! Morlock never got this film. To him it was a film about nothing and that's why he preferred The Remains Of The Day.

:up:

I still prefer The Remains of the Day, as everything about that movie is pretty much pitch perfect, but I love Howard's End