What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Not enough jump scares for ya?

The invitation had me hooked from the start (mainly for its tone and underlying tension) but sadly turned into something of a slasher in its final moments. The set-up was definitely better than the apotheosis. 

I just had to look it up. Completely forgot I'd watched that one, forgot it even existed. I don't know why, because I thought it was pretty good. Wasn't the final shot pretty epic, in a novel sort of way? Yeah. 

Creep 2

Oh right, thubverting ekthpektaythunth. So... the chick, holy god, she reminded me of my ex a bit (similar look, hairdo and boobs). She kinda keeps you guessing throughout too. She's craftier and more inquisitive than the overgrown meekish dingbat in the first movie. Still, what's with the protagonists being such monotone bores in these flicks? Is it meant to contrast with Creep Guy's iconoclastic flamboyance? I'm unclear about the last few shots though.

20 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Charade. 

My first observation was: why do I need the name of the person in charge of Audrey Hepburn’s clothes in the opening credits? Well, no, that was the second one. The first one was: my God, this sounds terrible. But really, really terrible. And not just because one of my ears isn’t really working. I swear the first James Bond films sounded better. Having said that, the banter was good and all the male actors were great, although Cary Grant’s voice is so comical that I just couldn’t feel any tension when I was supposed to, but that was all right, I had a good time, it made everything funny in a weird way. Hepburn sounded like every other woman in old films and her character was utterly stupid. The hotel phone sounded more like a groaning man and Jean-Louis was left forgotten for a while, but I loved the ending.

The score was mostly nice, but I hated the ridiculous brass cacophony at the end. It’s supposed to be romantic, not scary. Also, I don’t like fights without sound effects.

One of my favorite screenplays. Love the dialogue. 

Nightcrawler.

It’s always great to see Bill Paxton in something and Rene Russo was great too. Hadn’t noticed she plays Frigga in the MCU. I don’t really know what to think about Lou’s advances towards her, though,and it was also a bit weird that he stuck with Rick for as long as he did. It took 911 disturbingly long to get to the restaurant, but I loved how the finale sounded more like an average GTA PlayStation session than anything else. Some aspects of the ending were predictable, but I am left both hating and admiring the main character and I like it.

The score is interesting too. Love the switches from minor to major, but some cues are undoubtedly dull by necessity. One cue in particular reminded me of Apocalypse Now and JNH’s versatility continues to impress me. Having the score reflect only the main character’s feelings and actions was an approach more directors should take: I can just imagine others slapping D minor crap over all of it. The sound mix was dynamic and because so much of the score had guitar in it, every orchestral appearance was a treat. Fuck you, twerp.

22 hours ago, AC1 said:

Not enough jump scares for ya?

The invitation had me hooked from the start (mainly for its tone and underlying tension) but sadly turned into something of a slasher in its final moments. The set-up was definitely better than the apotheosis. 

I'm not a jump scare person at all. I'm terrible with that stuff.

But The Invitation just felt kind of lightweight to me. I thought many of the things it was trying to do has been done in stronger ways by other films. And like you say, the strong opening act is kind of undone by its generic ending.

Certainly no Ari Aster or Robert Eggers.

16 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Creep 2 

So... the chick, holy god, she reminded me of my ex a bit (similar look, hairdo and boobs). She kinda keeps you guessing throughout too. 

What completely surprised me about Creep 2 is that it isn't just a dumb copy of the first movie. It truly takes things a step further. In fact, I want a Creep 3!

2 hours ago, KK said:

Certainly no Ari Aster or Robert Eggers

As a directorial force, most likely not, but I did enjoy The Invitation more than Midsommar, which, sadly, I didn't believe in. I think Aster assumes we're going along with him a little too easily. And that goes for Jordan Peele as well (Us, anyone?). About Robert Eggers, no, The Invitation is not The Witch  but it had its own strengths. In fact, I think it's so different that I can't even compare the two, but I can enjoy both equally for different reasons (especially during a first watch).

I really should see The Lighthouse.

34 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I dunno ...

Apparently Creep 3 is in development.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3654794/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

11 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Apparently Creep 3 is in development.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3654794/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

It's been a while since Creep 2. I wonder if Sara will return somehow. She needs to shave those armpits though...

All this talk about The Invitation makes me want to see Destroyer now (by the same director):

3825401529968964094519ce251e962a.jpg

Director Karyn Kusama certainly has come a long way since her Aeon Flux and Jennifer's Body days.

The Adventures of Robin Hood - The movie grew on me too, not just the score, I highly enjoyed it this second time.

The Wizard of Oz - Simply magical.

District 9 - The third act devolves too much into "gruff guy shooting at a CG thing in bland tan dust for 20 minutes" but I still love the rest.

The Untouchables - The second de Palma I've seen, after The Fury a couple years ago (which I wasn't a fan of at all). Might be the first mob film I've seen too, playing Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven multiple times could be the closest I've come before. Enjoyable! Even if the plot and characters can be lacking in detail (that may be because it was only my first watch and didn't catch small things, and had to take a break too) or originality, the cinematography and certain jawdropping standout sequences absolutely make up for it!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

District 9 - The third act devolves too much into "gruff guy shooting at a CG thing in bland tan dust for 20 minutes" but I still love the rest.

Indeed, that's where the film completely lost me. And with Elysium, Blomkamp completely lost me as a director. Consequently, I will never watch Chappie.

The Ritual

Was like some Netflix twist on Deliverance, only it's in Sweden and more boringer. Well that's not true, it's not boring really, but it's a bit on the dull side. The monster looked like something from Hannibal.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

What do you mean Deliverance? It's a monster movie.

I quite like Deliverance. The biggest issue with it is that after...THAT scene, nothing in the movie is ever quite as compelling ever again.

It peaks quite early, is what I'm getting at.

The Last Movie Star was pretty good

EDIT: And incidentally, scenes from both those films are incorporated into that film, how about that

On 2/16/2021 at 6:18 PM, Glóin the Dark said:

Haha, true. The Green Ray is probably especially guilty in that respect, though the subject matter throughout his output is the epitome of "First World Problems" presented with a rather tediously conservative outlook. I really like his film-making style despite that. It always feels like a breath of clean air.

Yea, I like the breezy conversational quality of his films. The idea where people can just sort of "hang out" and ideate with each other, even if it's a setting that's sometimes divorced from our immediate reality.

Philadelphia.

All the actors were great, Karen Finley was very good and Denzel Washington came as a real surprise. However did he end up in crap like The Taking of Pelham 123? It did take long before I recognised Mary Steenburgen and that whole opera scene in Andy’s house is annoying, though part of me wants to check out that opera now. It then got worse when the whole piece was repeated as part of the score and only the reverb at the end made it interesting. The ending, too, was too long. I’m not saying I wasn’t moved, but I was also reading other things during the final scenes. And I need to remember the slogan ‘Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.’

Springsteen’s opening song was an obvious choice, but Born To Run is still way better, as are all the other songs that appear in the movie for that matter. Some score cues were very nice, especially coming from Howard Shore, while others were so overly dramatic that it became distracting. I did like how they re-used Springsteen’s percussion, though.

11 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I quite like Deliverance. The biggest issue with it is that after...THAT scene, nothing in the movie is ever quite as compelling ever again.

It peaks quite early, is what I'm getting at.

You like the duelling banjos scene so much?

hqdefault.jpg

So I had a double feature with a mate of mine and I wanted to show her Creep. So I did. And she was bored stiff by it because it was "too slow", and said Josef reminded her a bit of me, idiosyncratic-wise. Sigh, so she wanted to show me her stalker flick P2, which I thought was just okay I guess, but it was so damn average, it felt like a hundred other of these sorts of flicks I've endured. And being a 2007 film, she complained that they shouldn't show phones in movies because they distract future audiences from the "here and now", arguing that a film produced in 2007 should be made to appeal to people in 2021. Uh... huh? I guess stories and the human condition bears no interest to viewers these days, just whether the gadgets used are "relatable".

Battle of Britain. 

Perfect film with plenty of Spitfires 11/10. No you don’t need to know how many times I’ve seen it. 

First time watching it since the cinema. Fantastic stuff. Deakins is a God! 

59 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

First time watching it since the cinema. Fantastic stuff.

Unbelievable movie. One of the best war films ever. And to my suprise, given the simple plot, incredibly rewatchable. A better film than Dunkirk in my judgement (though that's excellent as well).

Deakins is a God! 

He's a god, he's not thee God.

If Spielberg had been working with Deakins instead of Kamiński for the past 20 years those films would have been a lot more interesting, and you can add at least one star to all of them.

10 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Unbelievable movie. One of the best war films ever. And to my suprise, given the simple plot, incredibly rewatchable. A better film than Dunkirk in my judgement (though that's excellent as well).

He's a god, he's not thee God.

If Spielberg had been working with Deakins instead of Kamiński for the past 20 years you can add at least one star to all of those films.

I really like Dunkirk but Nolan’s dislike of cgi cost him in that one. The beach is basically empty and it makes it feel too small.

The dogfights are at too low an altitude (because he relied too much on real planes). 

But I still really like it. Except for when the Spitfire’s die.

Screen-Shot-2021-02-20-at-1-58-43-PM.png

Muriel, or the Time of Return

I adore Resnais' first two classics, and the way he probes the frailty of memory and consciousness. But this one, more or less, lost me. I can see many of his familiar patterns here, in which the past haunts the present in fragments that shift and get distorted across the characters that are voicing them. And while I can understand the intentions of the framework, I think its execution is ultimately lacking and many of the more literary qualities that might have worked in the screenplay just don't really translate cinematically. The score...also does not help much.

Eragon

First time rewatching this since 2006. It's mostly a bland and forgettable remake of A New Hope with dragons and wizards. The acting is subpar, the characters are unmemorable, but at the very least Doyle's score is pretty good. In the end, the movie is ass, but on the other hand, it's not The Last Airbender levels of bad.

Before they got bought by Disney, Fox was responsible for some of the crappiest movies of my youth: this one, Percy Jackson, Fantastic Four 2005 and its sequel, X-Men 3, X-Men Origins, the prequels, Burton's Planet of the Apes, AvP, Daredevil, Elektra... the list goes on and on. They weren't in a good shape in the 2000s.

Alita: Battle Angel

20th-century-fox-2019-previews-aba_062_d

Better than I expected. Despite some oddities, it's a nice combination of Metal Hurlant, cyberpunk and manga. It presents a world that that is exciting to visit. I wasn't bored for a second. All in all, it's good popcorn fun. The weakest part is Junkie's score, which is way too exchangeable and lacking in character. Also, the music was constantly present. Alita: Battle Angel clearly ends with a sequel in mind, but given the film did not as well as Cameron & Fox had hoped for, I'm not sure if that is ever going to happen. 7/10

8 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It appears my TV is broadcasting one of the greatest movies ever made in stunning 4K UHD Dolby Vision

20210220_183331.jpg

20210220_183332.jpg

20210220_183334.jpg

Jason, can we PLEASE have a vomit react?