What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

4 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Maybe this is absolutely true. Maybe Spielberg was very candid about his goals and I missed it.

But I don't believe it. If this is the intent then Spielberg undersold it. It feels like "All the Hollywood money can buy" like many other Big Movies of the day. It doesn't feel like a stage play or a set in terms of "Oh ho, I see what he's doing". If he WASN'T trying to make it look like a set I don't see it looking a lot different. It's kind of what big movies looked like in that era. Just not usually Spielberg movies.

I'm not saying that Spielberg's intention should be obvious. Spielberg clearly wanted to create something stylized, and he has expressed regret that the result didn't match his vision. However, the film is imbued with aspects reminiscent of a theater production in many ways. Some might could say that it's an over-analysis, but when you consider all the elements that indicate this, the intention becomes clear. The intention to integrate songs is part of this. 

9 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

I love the first Batman, but Returns is Full Burton, and I've never been a fan.

Totally agree. It was Burton's sensibilities run amok, and I felt like that even as a 17-year-old fan. And the dialogue by Daniel Waters had everyone quipping like the Valley Girls in his 'Heathers' script. It was just weird.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I wonder what I would have thought of Hook if it didn't feel like it was all on really big but obvious sets?

If it had been a full-blown musical, the artificiality of the sets would've blended right in I think and been a non-issue.

Yes, the love story is just a vehicle to guide the audience through the course of events, and to show the catastrophe from the POVs of the upper and lower classes. And for that, it works very well.

The film's two weak points are the horribly cheesy framing story and about half of the score.

51 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The film's two weak points are the horribly cheesy framing story

"That really sucks, lady!"  (I really need to make a meme of that line at some point)

51 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

and about half of the score.

By this point, I remember almost nothing about the score, except that the choir sounded like they were synthesized.

44 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I just dislike that we cut back to the framing story in the mid-point. Kind of zaps you out of the events. Otherwise, I think the framing story was necessary. Its a brilliant way to lay the cards out - for those who happen to live under a rock - and create tension.

I don't mind that there *is* a framing story. It's how campy and cheesy it is that I find very grating. On the other hand, it's in perfect sync with the half of the Horner score that I dislike.

44 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

And I think to refer to the love story as just a vehicle is a little much. That's like calling the love affair in Meistersingers a vehicle. On paper it is, sure, but more often than not, its what keeps people engaged.

Maybe. The love story is the last thing that comes to my mind when I think of Meistersinger. ;)

5 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

By this point, I remember almost nothing about the score, except that the choir sounded like they were synthesized.

Not just sounded like. It's a bad Enya copy. The dramatic underscore is very good though.

13 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

It was. Apparently Horner didn't want a church feeling or such.

I still love the dramatic action music for the second half of the movie though.

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Titanic is great. People only hate it because over the years it has become ingrained in the memory of most people (especially those from younger generations who didn't watch it and only saw memes on the internet) as a cheesy "forbidden love" story about a virgin girl and a handsome dude, not that far removed from Twilight.

There were haters even back in '97, cuz some just like to reject anything that becomes so massively popular. I remember someone at school saying "I'm never going to see it!", and I was like, "Did James Cameron run over your dog or something?"

That's the last movie I remember that people went back over and over to see, and had a long theatrical run. One of those can't-miss films that even got those who weren't moviegoers into the cinemas, like my grandparents.

My girlfriend at the time loved it and brought me back three times, and I pretended I was doing it for her, but secretly enjoyed it. The 3+ hours went by surprisingly fast each time.

But as a date movie, it usually ended badly for the guy, cuz the girl would compare him to Jack Dawson, and ask if he would sacrifice himself for her like Jack did for Rose...

Answering that they both could've gotten on that floating door was the wrong thing to say, let me tell you. 😆

41 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Answering that they both could've gotten on that floating door was the wrong thing to say, let me tell you. 😆

It's not even accurate; they show Jack trying unsuccessfully to get onto it in the film, and there's even a deleted scene where another passenger asks to get on the driftwood with Rose, and then Jack tells him to back off.  Honestly, if I were Cameron and saw the endless flow of "oh, Jack and Rose both could've fit" nonsense, I'd be tempted to put this one scene back in to spell it out that only one person could stay afloat on it.

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Wow. What an event for you. Congrats.

OK, this was the last film shown at my beloved Cine Capri. I was there at the last show and they were tearing it down as we left the theater in the wee hours of the morning. Dammit. I still have the tickets. One of my friends still has the bricks.

Gosh.  The bitter irony that Titanic was the last film shown there before it was demolished.  Really sad. :crymore:

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

OK, this was the last film shown at my beloved Cine Capri. I was there at the last show and they were tearing it down as we left the theater in the wee hours of the morning. Dammit. I still have the tickets. One of my friends still has the bricks.

Funny you should mention that. I saw 'Titanic' at an old movie palace here in Montreal called the Loews that opened in 1917. It ceased operations in 1999, and after a couple of businesses tried moving in, was finally sold to condominium developers. It was demolished last year, and yes, I rescued a brick for posterity. 

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

they show Jack trying unsuccessfully to get onto it in the film

Bah. The problem was that they both tried to get on it from the same side. I unsuccessfully tried to argue this with my girlfriend. lol

Anyway, Jack dying made for a better ending that everyone wept at. Their love was doomed like the ship.

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

As for scores he should have got an Oscar for, my vote goes for Braveheart and/or Apollo 13.

I think there's an interview of Horner's where he agrees with you. :lol:

And he's....well, he's not wrong.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I rather feel Titanic is one of those films that people think is overrated and so underrate it.

This.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I remember seeing it the day it came out with Mr Southall at uni and when we got back to our digs we both kinda sat in shell-shocked silence.

Something people (me) tend to forget is how moving AND what a roller coaster the movie is. Yes, I'm sure it was especially devastating to 14 year old girls but it also did a number on 28 year old men.'

Oscar: At the time I absolutely felt JH should have won for Apollo 13. I've never been a Braveheart (or Legends of the Fall) fan. Sadly there was no way in hell that he was going to be nominated for, let alone win, for The Rocketeer.

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I bought the love between Jack and Rose the first time I saw it, and I still buy it.

If there was one problem I had with it last time I watched the movie after watching the deleted scenes, it's that there could be more of it! I felt the post-party scene where she has to go back to her world especially could've fit in so well.

I liked TITANIC in 1998 (it opened in the UK on January 30th), and I like it now.

The only question I had was: "How the chuffin' 'eck did David Warner get blood all over his boat race?".

Of course, all was revealed with the release of the deleted scenes :)

11 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

The whole "could they both have fit on the door debate" is a little overblown. Maybe they could have, maybe they couldn't. That's not really the point.

The door really isn't the issue. A stronger argument (though still beside the point) for Jack's potential survival is that if Rose had simply stayed on the life raft with her fiancé, Jack would almost certainly have lived. 

5 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

The whole "could they both have fit on the door debate" is a little overblown. Maybe they could have, maybe they couldn't. That's not really the point.

The door was wide open to him.

6 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

The door really isn't the issue. A stronger argument (though still beside the point) for Jack's potential survival is that if Rose had simply stayed on the life raft with her fiancé, Jack would almost certainly have lived. 

Shit happens.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Jack has to die, so that Rose can live, and her story can be told. 

I read a theory that Revolutionary Road is the sad story of Jack and Rose had Jack survived.

Can you imagine the heated arguments they'd have had later in life?

-"I should never have made room for you on that f*cking door JACK!"

-"Yeah, if it wasn't for me you would have gone down with that f*cking ship, ROSE"

-"Well at least I would have died rich instead of being stuck in Chippewa f*cking Falls with a failed artist gutter rat!"

-"If you don't like it here why didn't you TELL ME?!"

-"I can't TELL YOU anything!"

-"Oh, but you could tell Cal? Is that who you could tell?"

19 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I'll also just add that I don't think the love story is a mere "vehicle" for what is otherwise just a historical film. That's certainly a valid way to tell a story, and yes, it is a kind of framing device, but the love story in Titanic is much more important, and central, to the film than that.

The amazing thing about Titanic is how much in service to the historical drama is to the love story. And how much in service the love story is to the historical drama.

Not being a fan of Avatar (or James Cameron anymore) it almost feels like this movie broke Cameron. Between this and Terminator 2 it took away whatever flimsy excuse he ever had for not believing his own BS. (I was never that big of a Terminator 2 fan. I adore Terminator, Aliens, and I think The Abyss is one of the greatest films ever made. I'm non-committal on True Lies.)

But Titanic really is his crowning achievement. (It's hard to argue with the success of not only Avatar but Avatar 2. But I'll do it.)

Door: I'm still on Cameron's side on this one:

Oh, and forget the door: I have much greater issues with William Murdoch shooting himself.

6 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Yeah, his family apparently took issue with that, and rightly so.

I'm writing entirely from memory here but apparently there is a lot of "conventional wisdom" about Titanic that came from a just-before-WWII German film about Titanic? Including "They locked the doors on the third class sections." I heard this in passing from some Titanic scholar a few months ago (around the time that the rich guy's submersible imploded) and I never took the interest to follow up so I don't know much about the film or if there is any consensus about this.

Cameron was very upfront at the time of the film's release that he leaned into the class warfare aspect of the sinking.

2 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I read a theory that Revolutionary Road is the sad story of Jack and Rose had Jack survived.

If that's true, then it's one of those extremely rare occasions when the sequel is better than the original. :D

54 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I didn't like Kamen's score, at all. Somehow it felt a bit too classical for my tastes

Probably because it used Ode to Joy a large amount.

6 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I knew someone would say that, and no, it wasn't that. I just found Kamen's score not to my taste, and 'too classical' is my best term.

Too many notes.

I still think Titanic is not as good as some of its fans make it out to be, but neither it is as bad as some naysayers claim.

It's absolutely riveting once the ship hits the iceberg. If there's one thing Cameron is absolute master of, is pacing. And that's apparent even in his movies I don't really enjoy, like Avatar

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Just because it's not 1000% good doesn't mean that it isn't 100% good.

Math checks out.

10 hours ago, Romão said:

I still think Titanic is not as good as some of its fans make it out to be, but neither it is as bad as some naysayers claim.

You can be blasé about many things Romão, but not about Titanic.

2 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

You can be blasé about many things Romão, but not about Titanic.

I greatly enjoy some parts of it. I cringe with others. I like the movie. I don't love it, I don't loathe it. it's a bit like the score. Parts of it are sublime. Others I really don't appreciate. But I think those sections have more to do with Cameron's questionable musical sensabilities and taste, and less to Horner's talents. The real achievement is how Horner was able to write what he did within the constraints of Cameron's quesitonable demands

I'd rather be swept and deeply moved by parts of a film and cringe in others, than have a film that just consistently "enjoyable" all throughout its runtime. Art appreciation is not calculus.

I think a movie is only as good as its best moment, not only as good as its weakest moment.