What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

3-2-4-1-6-5

I assumed 5 was the lowest grossing too but actually Nemesis managed to make less unadjusted!  It made less money in 2002 dollars than Final Frontier made in 1989 dollars!  Ouch.

Wait a minute! This is ranked from best to worst according to you? Surprising that you chose 3.

By the way, I'm watching 4 tonight. I have watched it in the past though...

28 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Surprising that you chose 3.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I. LOVE. STAR. TREK. III.

A warm blanket movie for me.  An old friend.  It's always been my sentimental favorite over II.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ah, now, @filmmusic. Stu never said it is the best Star Trek film. He said it is his favourite  Star Trek film  :)

Ah, ok. You are all ranking them from favourite to least favourite. I see.

I'll make my ranking too, when I finish all 6 of them in a couple of days.

One of the reasons I like TMP is b/c it feels like a high budget episode of the original series. The characters basically acted like they did in TOS, and it had themes they explored in TOS. Star Trek II, as good as it was, was the beginning of Trek trying to mainstream itself into something it really isn't.  By the third film they didn't even feel like a crew any more, just friends and family hopping around on adventures in space.  TMP, flawed as it is, feels the most like Star Trek to me.

In any event, I've always thought Trek worked better on TV than film.

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

By the third film they didn't even feel like a crew any more, just friends and family hopping around on adventure in space.

That's how it goes when forced to work in open landscape offices.

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never - NEVER! - understood the point in purchasing movies you've never seen before.

Rent/Stream movies that you haven't seen yet

Form a collection of the movies you REALLY like, which you know you like because you've already seen them.

That's how I operate anyway...

Yes, you're right.

Well, it was a box-set, and I thought it would be good to pay something more and have all 6 original films.

Same with Planet of the Apes. I really needed the first movie to tell the truth.

My blind buys though are very few to none (and are usually films in boxsets), comparing to other fellows I see at forums.

46 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

STIV: Voyage Home is such a feelgood optimistic cuddly movie, how do you not like that?!

Well, it's not that I disliked it. I didn't like it enough to own it I guess...

IV is delightful. I might like what III is about more that IV but IV does what it sets out to do better than III does.

Also IV is by FAR my wife's favorite Star Trek movie.

MV5BMWEzNmUxZTMtZjY0My00OGNmLWIyNDctODM2

I thought to take a break from watching Star Trek films. 

A somewhat silly but enjoyable vampire film. Again, I'm not so sure I needed to purchase this. I had seen it in the past and thought I liked it enough to own it, but now that I saw it again...

Watch Airplane! | Prime Video

Airplane!

I hadn't seen this movie in a super long time.... 20, maybe 25 or 30 + years.  It's funny how some parts were burned in my brain, and yet others were like brand new (especially considering I had only seen it before on pan&scan VHS quality on old tube TVs, and the current Blu Ray looks great so I could notice more background jokes).

The movie is greatly paced, so many jokes flying fast and furious; Very much in line with the first Naked Gun and both Hot Shots! films.  What I love is how straight the cast plays everything, with only Lloyd Bridges (at certain times) and Stephen Stucker doing straight comedic work; The stoic way Robert Stack and Leslie Nielsen deliver all their lines make everything funnier, and Robert Hays walks a nice line of mostly playing things straight and then doing stuff like his drinking problem :lol: 

It's funny to realize how incredibly thin the plot is, just like the Hot Shots! movies, and nicely the runtime is under 90 minutes.  But there's so many random jokes thrown in along the way that have nothing to do with anything, like the two kids having coffee or the musical number with the sick kid.  And we even noticed a young Jonathan Banks in the air traffic control tower!

It's on HBO Max

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Just some alien impersonating God to get what it wanted 

Which was a frequent plot of TOS.  Star Trek was built on a solid foundation of Kirk flying around Deity-Busting.  Trek V is consistent with that. 

What does “God” need with a starship?

Movie Review - 'Frances Ha' - A Blithe Spirit At Loose Ends In New York :  NPR

Frances Ha

Watched this on a whim looking for something funny on streaming the other night, and quite enjoyed it!  I have not seen that many Noah Baumbach films (only Marriage Story and White Noise before this) and have not seen that many Greta Gerwig acting performances (only White Noise, the How I Met Your Dad pilot and some minor TV appearances)... but man she was great in this movie.  So full of life no matter what was going on, yet also vulnerable when she needed to be.

This is a story of a 20something trying to find her way like so many other stories, but the quick pacing, snappy dialogue, and rotating cast of good supporting actors really elevate it to something worth watching.  You can tell HBO's Girls took a lot from this movie (including casting Adam Driver), but at the time it was probably very fresh and original, even with some inspiration from French cinema.

It was nice to see Michael Zegen (Boardwalk Empire, Girls, Brooklyn), Grace Gummer (Mr. Robot), Justine Lupe (Succession), and Juliet Rylance (Perry Mason), but the best screen partner was someone unfamiliar to me - Mickey Sumner (Sting's daughter, it turns out), who plays Gerwig's best friend and has the other big character arc in the film.  I'm kind of surprised she hasn't been in more things, she was good!

A fun, breezy (86 minutes), interesting film.  I'll check out more of Baumbach's films now

It's on Netflix, Kanopy, Criterion, and AMC+

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Bad Star Trek is still more charming than bad Star Wars.

Karol

You are most wise, Karol.   I love this statement.   I wish I’d said it or I’d make it my signature. 

The River (1984) - IMDb

The River

Catching up on more Williams-scored movies I haven't seen yet.  This one was..... Pretty decent, if a little unremarkable.  It tells an interesting story of family-owned farmland in America giving way to corporate-run ones in Reagan's 80s, focusing on one fictional family in Tennessee (Mel Gibson as Tom and Sissy Spacek as Mae) who have to deal not only with being priced out of their land and business, but also their farm's adjacency to a river that is flooding their crops more often than historically of late.

There's an interesting detour when Gibson has to earn money by being a scab for a local steel mill, meanwhile Spacek injures herself under a tractor in a kind of weird sequence.  Also muddying the waters is that Spacek used to date the main villain (Scott Glen) who runs a grain mill and sets the grain prices but also has a nefarious plan to buy all the farms for his his own gains.  The climax that occurs when another flood happens feels like a minor victory in a completely unwinnable war, which I suppose is the point.

What fires on all cylinders is the cinematography, sound design, and score, all excellent!  The film is very well-spotted, with many scenes not having any score and not needing it, and the score making just right impact when it does come in.  I'm so glad Williams took this assignment because the resulting score is wonderful to listen to on its own, but it led to me see this movie I probably never would have otherwise, which is definitely worth seeing at least once

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2011) IMDb 

First, it’s weird seeing 12 year old actor Bailee Madison star in this movie, since her likeness to co-star Katie Holmes is uncanny - not to mention confusing - since Katie is only portraying the stepmom to the child actor.

The “scary” scenes aren’t that scary. It’s jump scares and body horror. Some people have been complaining about the CGI, but I don’t see it, it’s well done even by todays standards.

The really frightening scenes are the ones where the dad (Guy Pearce) and the stepmom (Katie Holmes) doesn’t believe the - obviously haunted - daughter (Bailee Madison), those scenes should have been built upon and used to greater effect.

Spoiler

(…and I don’t mean the scenes where the monsters taunt her “poor Sally, no one believes her", I mean the tension between kid-to-parent where the kid is disbelieved while suffering - it has potential to be gut wrenching stuff but the movie never really delivers on this idea. Which is understandable, it’s not really that kind of film but, still, a missed opportunity.)