What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I loved 12 monkeys when I saw it in theater. I was a teenager. I rewatched it recently and couldn't stand it. I found the (over)acting unbarably bad.

Especially Pitt's performance that feels like a desparate attempt of a student actor to show off his acting skills, but it comes off as more goofy than impressive to me.

The whole plot looks really basic and simplified in comparison to the original La Jetée, by Chris Marker.

La Jetée is a pure sci-Fi masterpiece.

I never imagined you could captivate your audience so well with just a voice over and a slideshow.

A must see!

MV5BMTE2MGEzMDctZTZlMi00MjY1LWI5NmQtYmJl

Exquisite melodrama based on real events.

I LOVE the score by George Fenton, I think it's his greatest musical achievement. Do yourself a favor and listen to the main theme. (I really hope a complete score is considered)

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The film is good, but the original BBC TV show, with Joss Ackland, and Claire Bloom, is something else.

Yeah, I have heard that this other TV movie is far better. But it doesn't have George Fenton's sublime soundtrack. ;)

Underwater 2020

MV5BYjU0NmMxNjAtZTFiNy00NmZkLWE5OTktZmU1

I watched most of it but ultimately I had to switch it off. It's the kind of movie that once again makes you realize how brilliant the direction and style of Ridley Scott's Alien is. Unless your name is mstrox, don't bother checking this one out. 2/10

1 hour ago, karelm said:

Dirty Dancing (1987)

... and?

12 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Underwater 2020

I watched most of it but ultimately I had to switch it off. It's the kind of movie that once again makes you realize how brilliant the direction and style of Ridley Scott's Alien is. Unless your name is mstrox, don't bother checking this one out. 2/10

Weren't there a few of these types of films, in the 80s? LEVIATHAN; DEEP STAR SIX, etc?

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

THE ABYSS is among my all-time favourite films.

Yeah, it got lumped in with all of the others. Hell, the MARKETING lumped it in with the others.

One of the most glorious cinematic experiences of my life.

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

Underwater 2020

I liked it for other reasons.  It is clearly a rip off of alien but in an HP Lovecraft setting of cosmic doom.  Good film.

Spoiler

I love it when things don't quite work out and at the end, it's much worse than we thought.  That is HP Lovecraft through and through.  Good film.   The very same reason why I loved Life, another Alien ripoff with one of the greatest dark endings ever.  Very HP Lovecraft.  I love that these films keep the audience strung along feeling like it might work out but ultimately doesn't.  They take a chance and if they have engaging characters, even better.  These approaches deserve more love. 

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... and?

You are asking for my review?  It's a good film, very good story, good performances from the leads, engaging.  I loved how the story slowly developed.  It felt organic and clearly the cast cared about this film, and it shows.  After seeing it, I saw an interview with Jennifer Grey where she said it was very, very low budget and they were all unsure it would work but regardless, it was her first starring role (not as supporting role) and clearly, she and Swayze gave it everything they could.  I was engaged and found it nostalgic and well-cast, directed, and written.  A good film I enjoyed but probably wouldn't have liked in 1987 when it came out feeling it was too shallow back then.  Sort of like how Footloose, Rocky, The Karate Kid are all very solid scripts, well cast, well written, finely directed, very good films but in there time, I might have felt a bit shallow.  

Capricorn One - one from maybe what you could call the wilder end of the post-Watergate 70s paranoid/conspiracy thriller 'boom', this concerns the faking of the first manned NASA mission to Mars (to save face (and the space programme in general) ) due to a late-discovered technical fault that would have killed the crew), and then the authorities' efforts to kill the astronauts (and others) to ensure their silence after they go on the run when they've 'returned to Earth'. Great cast including James Brolin, Sam Waterson, Elliott Gould, Hal Holbrook, Karen Black, Telly Savalas and erm, OJ Simpson. Enjoyable Jerry Goldsmith score, too.      

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Paging @mstrox!

I thought it was fine, a passable claustro-monster movie elevated by the existence of Kristen Stewart and Jessica Henwick.  Don’t worry, Alex - I think it’s “less than” Alien, another passible claustrophobic monster movie.

13 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Very impressive visually and sonically, worthy of its Oscar nominations and awards.

Agreed, on all points.

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It's impressively made, but I don't like its politics. I won't go into detail, though, this is not allowed here.

We would be discussing a film and its politics, and not politics. The distinctions are clear. Those who cannot tell the difference would be better off posting elsewhere, or, preferably, not posting at all.

To Live And Die In L.A. - William Friedkin co-writes and directs this 80s action thriller with William Petersen and John Pankow on the trail of ruthless counterfeiter Willem Dafoe (must say, him NOT being a coke dealer is a refreshing change for the particular genre and time period). It's kinda like Friedkin doing a West Coast version of The French Connection (even down to its very own heart-in-mouth car chase), retaining that movie's cynicism and toughness ... but it also has an undeniable Miami Vice-esque gloss.

John Turturro and Dean Stockwell also feature in the cast.

MV5BMTMyOTYzMDMzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTkz

I'm not into sports at all, but I enjoy these Rocky films. Ok, it's not like I or II, but it's a good 80s film, which still has some inspiring moments.

And of course the Oscar nominated song is great! Now, on to IV tomorrow night!

11 hours ago, Jay said:

A nice indepedent film directed by Tucci and Campbell Scott, and co-written by Tucci as well.  I enjoyed the performances and delicious looking food shots more than the fairly thin story and character drama

Remember watching it in cinema and thinking that actually the food is the star in this movie. 

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Remember watching it in cinema and thinking that actually the food is the star in this movie. 

Yea it definitely made us hungry :)

Miss Pettigrew lives for a day.

A bit… weird, maybe? But wonderfully enjoyable too. McDormand has her moments and Adams is fantastic. Pace was a bit strange because he wasn’t playing a villain, Tom Payne and Mark Strong sounded familiar but weren’t, and I’ve finally seen Shirley Henderson play someone other than Moaning Myrtle. I want Miss Pettigrew Lives for Another Day now.

The music is quite nice as well, but the sound quality could have been better: the dialogue wasn’t always very intelligible. Well, I don’t know what else to write about it, but Charlotte Warren is writing reviews, so I figured I’d better do it too.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's a very good film. I'd rather have sequels of this than Pirates.

Yep. But when it came to cinematic Captain Jacks in 2003, people clearly wanted Sparrow more than Aubrey. 

... which is a damn shame.

MASTER AND COMMANDER is not only a fine action film, which is brilliant to both look at, and listen to, it's among the greatest films exploring the subject of male friendship. It's a film with both heart and brain.

Can you really go wrong with a film directed by Peter Weir, photographed by Russell Boyd, and which has a cast including Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany, Robert Pugh, Lee Ingleby, Billy Boyd, George Innes, and "Frank Gallagher" himself, David "not on the cloth" Threlfall?

No, you can't.

16 hours ago, LSH said:

I don't think I've seen it since it came out. It clearly didn't make much of an impression on me, but then I was only a teenager at the time.

I think I'll give it a watch this weekend.

I see you're in Birmingham, so access to All4 shouldn't be an issue ... that's how I watched it, and it's available on there for the next 3 days.