What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Sharky said:

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Utterly dreadful. What happened to you, Ken? You used to show such promise.

It was very disappointing 

Speaking of macho killing machines, I watched the two John Wicks last night. For whatever reason, I find those to be really entertaining. Keanu Reeves has found himself a right vehicle to redeem himself after those two The Matrix sequels. The basic and stripped down premise as well as dry wit tone fits his acting range like a glove. The second one might be pushing it a bit too far but at least it's pretty to look at.

Karol

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

More dated though.

Karol

Omg you are so wrong

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Speaking of macho killing machines, I watched the two John Wicks last night. For whatever reason, I find those to be really entertaining.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "really entertaining" but I find them kind of entertaining.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

We all have guilty pleasures. crocs has his John Wick, I have my The Raid.

And I my 80s-90s Jean Claude Van-Damme movies. :lol:

I watched Primal Fear last night.

Pretty standard 90s legal thriller (how did they make so many???).  Kept interesting by the great performances.  Edward Norton's first film!  He's great!

What a cast though, seriously.

Richard Gere, Edward Norton, Laura Linney, John Mahoney, Frances McDormand, Alfre Woodard, Andre Braugher, Maura Tierney, the bald dude from Lost

James Newton Howard thrived in this world 20-25 years ago (he still does occasionally with scores like Nightcrawler and Roman J. Israel)

This would be a limited TV series if it was made today, but back then it was a major Paramount release.

Paramount has for many years had a shrinking market share.  Can't compete with Disney, Universal, Sony, not even Lionsgate.  Once Disney absorbs Fox, it'll get worse.

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I watched Primal Fear last night.

Pretty standard 90s legal thriller (how did they make so many???).  Kept interesting by the great performances.  Edward Norton's first film!  He's great!

When I saw it (15+ years ago, on TV), I only realised *after* the twist ending that somebody had told me the entire plot only a few weeks earlier. Spoilers averted thanks to slow memory.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Paramount has for many years had a shrinking market share.  Can't compete with Disney, Universal, Sony, not even Lionsgate.  Once Disney absorbs Fox, it'll get worse.

Hell Disney even swept Marvel away from Paramount...

Room.

The first half of this movie was beyond anything I have ever watched. Harrowing doesn't even come close to describing it. I don't think I could have continued watching this had the second half not been a little more light-hearted. The only negative thing I can say about the film is that it does rather weird things with time. Maybe they did that to show the viewer how Jack processes everything, but that didn't really make sense to me because this is clearly not a children's story. For example: Ma tells Jack all about Room and then suddenly changes her mind and starts talking about the real world. She wants to escape and they manage it after only two attempts. When Jack talks to the policewoman, I would have thought that Old Nick had already either killed Ma or moved her somewhere else, but he just ran off without Jack and we don't even see him putting up a fight with the police or Ma. Ma just comes out and that's it, end of story. I also thought Jack was a little too okay with suddenly being in an entire new world, but am willing to accept that children really do these things and of course the film needed closure.

The score was mostly ambient, but very moving. Composers and directors should do this more: produce ambient music that touches people and tells a story, not just aimless droning that only fills space and can't survive two seconds on its own.

10 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

What does Paramount even do these days? It used to be the king of Oscar bait drama.

More importantly, great comedies.

11 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

What does Paramount even do these days? It used to be the king of Oscar bait drama.

They are probably waiting for Bay to make another Transformers movie. And didn't Spielberg threaten to make a new Indiana Jones flick? 

I watched The Dambusters last night. It’s definitely a product of its time (non PC dog names aside even) but I enjoyed it quite a bit. The March is obviously a classic. The attack on the Dams was definitely an inspiration on A New Hope. Dialogue and everything. Looks great for a film made so long ago but one of the explosions in particular looks awfully bad. 

I’d like to see the 4 hour Jackson remake!

Lancasters are cool alright but they’re not Spitfires. 

In real life that was the name of the dog and that’s the way it was filmed so I don’t think it should be cut out. It’s definitely something Jackson will change (and he’d be right to) but I don’t think anyone watching The Dambusters in 2018 is going to be influenced by it in that way anyway.

The Post. Definitely not a great film. It barely  rose above a tv movie of the week. Worth a $1.50 dvd rental though for the humorous ending. 

55 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm surprised that references to Nigger weren't cut out.

Redgrave shines, in this film.

Lancasters are cool, but so are Wellingtons. Hurricanes are cool, but, yeah, Spitfires are the coolest!

You sound like Stefan. However there are many better and way more cool planes.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

The Post. Definitely not a great film. It barely  rose above a tv movie of the week.

Funny, I stopped watching after 5* minutes because I felt it couldn't rise above an average episode of The Americans. Also, Hanks' performance annoyed me.

Everything feels so 'by the numbers'. Spielberg has lost his hunger and The Post makes this so painfully clear.

* Okay, it was 10 minutes

It got better but it was a very minor SS effort and Janus Kaminski delivered another terrible looking picture.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

No Bilbo. Stop the madness.  Cadillac of the sky is way cooler. So is the P-47 it was a BEAST!

You're 'avin' a giraffe, aren't you?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Sopwith Camel forever!

Look, fuck all this. The only plane that comes close to the Spitfire, in coolness, is the SR-71 - unless, of course, it's the Concorde, which is so beautiful to see flying that it outcools every other 'plane made, even Spitfires. That is a stone cold fact.

The Fly, 1958.

The story was interesting enough, but is execution horrible. Everything was so shallow, the dialogue was unnatural, the characters unprofound... as if it was all a bit of a joke. Only the final act was much better.

Surprisingly, I liked most of the score, though it was way too short.

Just now, John said:

Paddington 2

Saw this with family over the weekend. To say you dislike this film is to admit you have no soul.

***** out of *****

I saw it in the theaters with my daughter and once again at home last week!  It's great!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I saw it in the theaters with my daughter and once again at home last week!  It's great!

Agreed! One of the most genuine and wholesome family movies I've seen in a while.

16 minutes ago, John said:

Paddington 2

Saw this with family over the weekend. To say you dislike this film is to admit you have no soul.

***** out of *****

It is even better than the first. An example of what family friendly cinema should be!

Annabelle: Creation

I seem to be addicted to these supernatural horror flicks and very rarely do they seem to turn out any good. And this is no exception. Features some tense setpieces, but overall a very run-of-the-mill demonic horror flick with kids in peril. For fans only.

21 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The Fly, 1958.

The story was interesting enough, but is execution horrible. Everything was so shallow, the dialogue was unnatural, the characters unprofound... as if it was all a bit of a joke. Only the final act was much better.

Surprisingly, I liked most of the score, though it was way too short.

What an irrelevant review of a classic 50's horror.

37 minutes ago, John said:

Paddington 2

***** out of *****

Don't worry, I know for a fact there's a couple of miserable fossils here who say they don't watch "kids" movies.

I've sort of watched the first one with one eye while it was on in the background. It looked well made, although I was never a Paddington fan as a child anyway.