What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, Richard said:

PIRANHA II is an I interesting film. The female lead is definitely a proto-Ripley.

:blink:

37 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I always prefer the rawer lo-fi feel of T1 over the sprawling big budget sequel. It's a scarier movie, too.

Yeah I enjoy the first one a lot. I like its more oppressive, mysterious and spookier feel too.

Irma la Douce

I've watched a fair few Billy Wilder films now and I've loved them all, but I'm a bit mixed on this one. It's funny and it seems he was eager to get Jack Lemmon and Shirley Maclaine back in an apartment together, but this movie runs waaaaaay too long to justify the story. About 45 minutes could have been shaved off and it would have had a lot more punch. Maclaine in all that green suggests she would have been a good Poison Ivy. Watch out for a boyish James Caan in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot.

Just now, Margo Channing said:

Irma la Douce

I've watched a fair few Billy Wilder films now and I've loved them all, but I'm a bit mixed on this one. It's funny and it seems he was eager to get Jack Lemmon and Shirley Maclaine back in an apartment together, but this movie runs waaaaaay too long to justify the story. About 45 minutes could have been shaved off and it would have had a lot more punch. Maclaine in all that green suggests she would have been a good Poison Ivy. Watch out for a boyish James Caan in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot.

This was also my least favorite when I went on a Billy Wilder kick, years back.  Especially coming after the Wilder-Lemmon-MacLaine masterpiece, The Apartment

2 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Wait... does this forum make notification sounds now when someone quotes you??

Hasn't that always been a thing?  You can turn it off in Notification Settings.

Spiderman Homecoming

I am not a superhero movie guy. I know who Spiderman is but like this stuff is not like SW is to me. To be honest, this was okay. Sometimes fun, sometimes sort of serious. All that really caught my attention was the Donald Glover cameo. I thought " hmmm hey I know that guy!".

Wall Street

80s materialism in a bottle, eh? Well at least a self-aware condemnation of ze kipitilist zeal of the era. Can be a bit hard to follow all that trading stuff but you kind of get the gist of it as it's happening.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Listen to THE RUSSIA HOUSE, and you'll get an idea.

I think we are all thankful that the theme from 'Russia House' is actually in 'Russia House', not some perfunctory love theme in effing 'Wall Street'.

Just now, Margo Channing said:

I'll be sure to catch it when it's on!

ace-in-the-hole-009.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=

Kirk Douglas at his bleakest. And the whole media circus angle has not aged a day.

Hancock

Very half-baked (or over-baked and then heavily truancated) but it clocks in at a harmless 90 minutes and has an awesome final musical cue from John Powell (that is cut tragically short by a seriously lame post-credit scene gag that feels more like a deleted scene they couldn't fit into the actual movie)

Magic Mike XXL - Surprised by how much I enjoyed this. It's like they took the complaints of the first being too dour, and not featuring enough "strip" scenes, and decided to make a dumb stupid road trip comedy out of it. Kinda amazing actually. - 8 / 10

7 hours ago, publicist said:

For someone with journalist leaning, 'Ace in the Hole' is the quintessential Wilder.

I always couple ACE IN THE HOLE, with  THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS. To me, they are two sides of the same coin.

Yup, together with 'A Face in the Crowd', '12 Angry Men' and 'Anatomy of a Murder' (all in stunning b/w) they form a marvelous portrait of US society in the 50's. It stands to reason that only 'Anatomy' was a hit. 

It was a time when filmmakers began to question certain aspects and common behaviours of society, with wit, and intelligence. They turned over the smooth stone of life, and exposed its sordid underbelly.

Where are the Wilders, the Lumets, and the MacKendricks, now?

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

Where are the Wilders, the Lumets, and the MacKendricks, now?

Films that explore social and moral issues are a thing from the past (kids don't want to see that, Richard). Luckily the 'genre' or the subject has found a new life on TV. It's probably the reason why in the last 10 years I'm watching more TV series than movies.

On 08/05/2018 at 8:27 PM, publicist said:

Coincidentally i just saw Tarantula again, and given its age - and that Universal was a cheapie studio to begin with - the effects are not too shabby and the movie one of the best paranoid bad science movies of the 50's (the similar Them! was good but sagged in the middle). Together with Creature of the Black Lagoon that makes two great creature movies i could rewatch at least once a year.

ccjSeVoh3ZPXoiFSkFmZZM1HmsC.jpg

Did I read somewhere that a young Clint Eastwood is in this, playing one of the fighter pilots sent to take out the titular giant arachnid?

From more recent years, Eight Legged Freaks was an amusing update of this type of flick.  

Thor: Ragmykok

Well isn't that what a good Marvel is all about, just having some plain old fun? Everyone hams it up and it's delightfully crazy. The only really weird thing is it seems Asgard isn't really all that densely populated. Anthony Hopkins in this looks like my dad. I like that Valkyrie chick. Cate Blanchett as the boss baddie is probably one of the series' most memorable.

2 hours ago, John said:

Thor: Ragnarok is great fun. Out of all the MCU movies, it's the one that feels most like a comic book.

Do all comic books want to be funny?

I don't read comic books, but if I did, it would read them fartsy graphic novels with fancy hardcover, not them throwaway periodicals you all seem to be devouring endlessly.

Me:

17375825._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

You all:

b750061b821d762fd79048d7760185ff--comic-

Hide and Seek

Standard thriller that promises way more than it delivers. Dakota Fanning acts her little heart out of it, but De Niro seems really bored. Definitely not a "hurry up and see" flick.

The Commuter

The scores on IMDb and RT are too high. In fact, I stopped watching when the movie turned into a disaster movie (during the last 20 minutes).

thumbnail_27292.jpg

But this fight was very entertaining.

Not Without My Daughter

Flying Nun play beaten housewife real good. Doc Ock need to beat his woman more to make sure family know him a man. Unholy Hollywood film not make benefit while starring too many Israeli actors. Hope man get wife back prisoner in Part 2.

4 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Not Without My Daughter

Flying Nun play beaten housewife real good. Doc Ock need to beat his woman more to make sure family know him a man. Unholy Hollywood film not make benefit while starring too many Israeli actors. Hope man get wife back prisoner in Part 2.

Is that what watching Titanic does to your brain?

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Is that what watching Titanic on a Sony Trinitron does to your brain?

Funny you say that because at the beginning of the movie, Sally Field and Alfred Molina own one when they're in America at the beginning. But when they're in Iran at his sister's house, it's some cheap piece of shit, probably Soviet-made.