What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Yeah it was a bit of a self-indulgent wank that one.

As opposed to wanks which aren’t self indulgent?

10 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

My favourite MCU film is Iron Man.

Ding! Ding! Ding! 

Pretty much everything from Phase 2 onwards is a waste of time. 

They started to believe their own hype from them on and they got all “nudge nudge wink wink” with the audience.

Not that Phase 1 was a masterpiece either. 

Iron Man - The best

Hulk - Skip

Iron Man 2 - dull

Captain America the Boringest Avenger - ZZZ

Thor - This one is actually alright. I like the small scale feel to it. 

Avengers - Blew me away the first time. Enjoyed it less the second. Gave up half way through the third time. It looks like it was made for TV. 

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2.  What isn't much of a plot is dragged down by endless "bits" which makes this film feel like a 200+ million improv session. It loses its momentum very early and never regains it. Often funny, sometimes preachy, and far far too long.

Yep! GOTG Vol.2 suffers from DSMS*.

*(Difficult Second Movie Syndrome)

Like I said, these movies aren't worth thinking too hard about.  Cinematic fast food.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!

But these are the ones I enjoyed the most.

image.png

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Like I said, these movies aren't worth thinking too hard about.  Cinematic fast food.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!

But these are the ones I enjoyed the most.

image.png

I can agree that Iron Man 3 is underrated.

I can also agree that it’s cinematic junk food. It’s the people who try to make them out to be something more that I have an issue with. 

Too o much junk food will kill you!

First Avenger is okay, but I get a bit creeped out by shots where it looks like they're making an effort to conceal swastikas, as if they're scared the sight of it will "trigger" someone.

Anyhoo, I'd rank them as:

1. Iron Man

2. The Avengers

3. Ant-Man

4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Iron Man 3

6. Thor

7. Guardians of the Galaxy

8. Avengers: Age of Ultron

9. Captain America: Civil War

I forget the others.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2.  What isn't much of a plot is dragged down by endless "bits" which makes this film feel like a 200+ million improv session. It loses its momentum very early and never regains it. Often funny, sometimes preachy, and far far too long.

Yeah, it being half-an-hour longer than the first one just leads to it severely dragging in the middle. Worst 'bit' for me was the argument about duct tape in the middle of trying to stop the movie's 'big bad' at the climax.    

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It is when people whine about all these movies and their existence yet go out and see every one anyways!

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It is when people whine about all these movies and their existence yet go out and see every one anyways!

Who's whining?  I enjoy the MCU and have a lot of fun seeing them, especially with an enthusiastic crowd.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Who's whining?  I enjoy the MCU and have a lot of fun seeing them, especially with an enthusiastic crowd.

I see, read, and know a fair amount of people who complain about how these movies all feel the same, generic CGI-fests, boring, bland, yet they see each one that comes out.

I've never been interested, so I haven't seen any of the Marvel Universe movies.

West Side Story

Revisiting an old favourite. Great music, dancing, and parallel story to Romeo and Juliet, save its gangs in NY. What more could you want?

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

I see, read, and know a fair amount of people who complain about how these movies all feel the same, generic CGI-fests, boring, bland, yet they see each one that comes out.

Ah ok, I misinterpreted you.  Yes, that is very common.

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I've never been interested, so I haven't seen any of the Marvel Universe movies.

I whine about them but haven’t seen a new one since 2015 😬

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You just don't like things that are popular!

Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings...

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah yeah, we're all very impressed by your esoteric, intellectual taste.  Snob!

Its not my fault if I’m better than you. 

Now pipe down or there’ll be no more pattented Bilbo Likes™️

I was just thinking about why I like Iron Man the most. Aside from being pretty well made, I like its sturdy execution in telling the story of a wealthy, decedent, hotheaded genius who gave no shits about the consequences of his actions, but his traumatic experience of being dangerously exposed to it fundamentally changes his entire outlook. And so he uses his new invention created in his own image to reconcile for his past sins and search for redemption. Of course, subsequent films explore the fact that he isn't perfect, makes mistakes along the way (suit obsession, Ultron, treaty, etc) and has other changes of heart, often fueled by his own ego, but in the first film, its nicely tightened into two entertaining hours.

I like Wonder Woman for similar reasons because she has a character arc and is forced to get over her naivety and learn that human nature isn't as simple as "mind control". She has a difficult time accepting that one.

And in both movies, the audience is well ahead of Tony and Diana in knowing these difficult truths.

Just stumbled upon the poll results of 'What Are The 7 Best Marvel Flicks' by filmtotaal (from the land of Stefancos) 

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier 

Good! That's all I need to know.

I’m trying to think what it was but there were no bewbs so I have no idea what he might be talking about. 

It wasnt the fucking score anyway!

Cap 2: Winter Soldier.

I'll never ever read the IMDB summaries of any Marvel film from now on. You do not include huge spoilers if you want people to go and watch the films. And that film was just amazing. I can't believe how complex the entire universe is becoming, how Marvel keeps making one great film after another while DC basically died with Man of Steel... Loved the dynamic between Cap and Natasha and am very glad she finally got a bigger role. The balance between drama and humour is great, I care about all the protagonists... It's just fantastic.

The score could be better, though. There are some nice moments to be heard, but the action material is too Zimmer-inspired. I suppose that by now I should just stop hoping for thematic continuity in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The situation in this score is really absurd, starting out with the Cap theme and then abandoning it altogether.

What’s so great about Winter Soldier, anyway?

I mean, it’s more earnest than most Marvel films at the time. But, since I argue that these films are action-comedies more than anything, than being more earnest is not necessarily an advantage.

The Avengers is their best: it’s their funniest.

15 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

What’s so great about Winter Soldier, anyway?

I mean, it’s more earnest than most Marvel films at the time. But, since I argue that these films are action-comedies more than anything, than being more earnest is not necessarily an advantage.

Winter Soldier has always struck me as being fairly forgettable and visually/musically drab.  Its position as "one of the top MCU films" is well-earned 

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

But I thought you prefer movies that are dark, oppressive and serious. To you it's more realistic and relatable.

It is.

But as I said, Marvel films are - to me - action comedies, for the most part.

There isn't much benefit to a serious, dark comedy, now is there? They can have moments of gravity, sure - otherwise you'll be saturated in the levity before long - but utlimately their goal is to make you laugh. That's the goal of The Avengers, of Iron Man, etc...

That to me is part of why they are so beloved: critically, you can't pan them because they're adapting this material with a tongue-in-cheek approach from the outset.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

I guess it felt more like a really well made action movie than a superhero flick.

Winter Soldier is a superhero espionage thriller, and just like the Jason Bourne series, it deals with enhanced 'agents'' (with one of them gone rogue). Oh yes, like Richard says, Robert Redford made for a great villain ... Just a normal corporate guy in a suit instead of some crazy superbeing or an interstellar monster.

Last movies I’ve watched:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Star Wars (1977) [Team Negative 1]

Sleeping Beauty (1959)

Cannibal: The Musical (1993)

Only MCU movies I have seen are Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, and both Guardians of the Galaxy movies. Those were all enjoyable. Oh, and Ant Man, which was a forgettable remake of Iron Man.

Trainspotting     10/10

T2 Trainspotting     7/10

Blade Runner     8/10

Blade Runner 2049     9/10

I had two "original and 20 years later filmed somehow just indirect sequel"-evenings. Both classics have compelling and artisticly independant continuations of plot and subject matter. BD 2049, however, succeeds more by not trying to be like the original, whereas T2 is stylistically a bit insecure.