What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

No one looks good smoking. Its a nasty filthy smelly habit. Oh my god it stinks.

2 hours ago, dougie said:

Starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis and Ernie Hudson. In an Ivan Reitman film.

Sometimes, weird things happen, someone has to deal with it and who you gonna call?

22 hours ago, Chen G. said:

So no, The Last Jedi doesn't deserve people's hate, but I don't think it deserves people's glowing praise, either. Its just a good movie.

I don't know if it's a good movie but it's the only Disney Star Wars movie that I was able to watch without falling asleep. However, there were times when I thought: If I was a Star Wars fan, I wouldn't accept this. So I understand why many fans don't like this episode.

33 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't know if it's a good movie but it's the only Disney Star Wars movie that I was able to watch without falling asleep. However, there were times when I thought: If I was a Star Wars fan, I wouldn't accept this. So I understand why many fans don't like this episode.

It tried to do something different. But Star Wars fans just want to the same thing over and over.

Are they right, Alex?

TLJ is another film that has been written by its director. Thats something you see more and more now and I'm not sure its always a good idea.

New Morlock isn't wrong, the film feels directed, it also feels very written. Sitting in the cinema I could consciencly see what it was trying to tell me. It something I experience with a few Nolan films as well.

Too constructed perhaps?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Perhaps. But what is the spirit of Star Wars? 

That what you feel when you're watching Star Wars or ESB and what TFA 'tried' to bring back to life. However, it's something that you cannot bottle, not even when you know what the ingredients are. 

30 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Not even Lucas was able to do that, I think.

Neither was Ridley Scott with the Alien series. Perhaps spirit is nothing more than a fluke. Nobody knows how to capture it on command.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Neither was Ridley Scott with the Alien series. Perhaps spirit is nothing more than a fluke. Nobody knows how to capture it on command.

Yes! I wonder, did both Lucas and Ridley misunderstood what we liked about their movies?

Some people say that Gary Kurtz served as a catalyst for George Lucas and that he's the important ingredient that is absent in later Star Wars movies.  Perhaps Scott's catalyst at the time was his strong admiration for Stanley Kubrick (which is obvious in his first movies).

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Perhaps. But what is the spirit of Star Wars? 

Your spirit is the key to unlock the true you

Spirit, some people hear it, some people fear it

Spirit, some people just won't go near it

Sure as I'm me and the skies are blue

The Ghostbusters are back and all brand new

Man on a Ledge

Loads of fun despite being so damn predictable. The ledge he stands on for most of the movie looks like the same one Baby Oscar somehow walked along before being kidnapped by Ghost Nanny Janosz. Elizabeth Banks looks fantabulous.

Dolan's Cadillac is bad film with a very satisfying ending. 

Electronic scores have been and always shall be awful

2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

The Big Sleep (1946) 

Very good noir with Humprey Bogart, but the real deal is the Max Steiner score. It works with the film and elevates it. Sadly I couldn't find a release of it, even as a suite.

Charles Gerhardt has recorded bits from it: A 2:46 cue titled "Love Themes" on Casablanca - Classic Film Scores for Humphrey Bogart, and a 7 minute suite one Now Voyager - The Classic Film Scores of Max Steiner.

I've never seen the film myself, but I've got it in my most recent pile of new Blu-rays.

I have never seen Body Snatcher 1993 but its a great version.  Meg Tilly was creepy as hell.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:06 AM, crocodile said:

It's a mess, sure, but not a complete trainwreck. There's a certain slapstick quality to Raimi films anyway so I sort accept that.

Karol

For me, the editor's cut is a mixed bag.

Murawski dropped two bad scenes (the butler scene for example), but added one good scene: an extra Sandman scene which should've been part of the theatrical cut. There's a bit more nuance to the symbiote suit (you hear it breathe and pulsate) in one scene. But one good scene in the theatrical cut -- the second Peter/Aunt May scene at the apartment -- is cut entirely. 

Young's score really shines here. Most of his original themes for Mary Jane, Peter, et al are restored.

The Accountant - started doing that falling-asleep-then-violently-jerking-awake thing with about 20 minutes of this fairly implausible action-thriller to go. Rewinding and forcing concentration until the end (and a read of its Wiki page today) helped 'join the dots'. 

OK, with maybe a better cast than it deserved (Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick, John Bernthal, JK Simmons, John Lithgow).    

Related image

READY PLAYER ONE

Okay. Here's a quick one. I didn't like it.

It's full of references, easter eggs and such. Almost too full. You need to understand a lot of them to appreciate the basis of the movie. And if you don't a lot of the intended interest is lost. Unfortunately I didn't catch a lot of them. So maybe that's my problem. 

In terms of visuals, the virtual world of the Oasis leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like video games, and I don't like the style of animation used in this film. There is very little to take away from the performances, although it's always welcome to have Ben Mendelssohn playing a wealthy businessman antagonist. 

This is certainly my least favourite Spielberg movie yet, because it doesn't really feel to me like it's coming from him as much as his other works do, especially in it's general fibre.

RATING: ** out of *****

CONSENSUAL STATEMENT: "Not my cup of tea, but it might be yours." -Jerry

Related image

THE BEAST MUST DIE

Nearly nothing works about this film. I give it no mercy, despite it being from the 70s.

With names such as Calvin Lockhart and Peter Cushing, I was certainly expecting something remotely better to what I got. This fella (Lockhart) gathers a bunch of other people who he believes might be werewolves with the intention of killing them, just because he's a flashy hunter dude who wants to be the first to do so. That's putting it simply. The film takes a ridiculously long time to make sense of what is happening. Peter Cushing's character is wasted by a terrible attempt at an accent and phony costume design, so we're already going downhill. The werewolf looks like a dark border collie with hair extensions (I think it might be), the score is upbeat and jazzy, like if you mixed a pinch of Bond with Lalo Schifrin and then put it in the microwave for however long it might take for your house to blow up. In no way does it underscore the film well. 

The ending, criminy! Don't watch it. A complete waste of time. 

RATING: Doesn't register (okay, maybe a 1)

CONSENSUAL STATEMENT: "What just happened?!" -Jerry

46 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

This is certainly my least favourite Spielberg movie yet, because it doesn't really feel to me like it's coming from him as much as his other works do, especially in it's general fibre.

Funny, I disagree completely. I've missed this type of Spielberg; it's the rollicking, shamelessly sentimental Spielberg I grew up with. The film has issues, no doubt, but it's easily the most exciting, balls-to-the-wall film he's made since The Adventures of Tintin.

Plus it's a lot of fun seeing this 70-something-year-old director dipping into his inner fanboy and paying homage to so many pieces of pop culture.

13 hours ago, Matt C said:

For me, the editor's cut is a mixed bag.

Murawski dropped two bad scenes (the butler scene for example), but added one good scene: an extra Sandman scene which should've been part of the theatrical cut. There's a bit more nuance to the symbiote suit (you hear it breathe and pulsate) in one scene. But one good scene in the theatrical cut -- the second Peter/Aunt May scene at the apartment -- is cut entirely. 

Young's score really shines here. Most of his original themes for Mary Jane, Peter, et al are restored.

From what I remember, the Editor's cut is not a recut, just an earlier cut of the film.

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

READY PLAYER ONE

In terms of visuals, the virtual world of the Oasis leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like video games, and I don't like the style of animation used in this film. There is very little to take away from the performances,

Agreed. I even stopped watching because there was nothing for me in it. It's something I do more and more with Spielberg (The Post, Tintin, RPO, ...)

Yeah, I didn't like it one bit either - can't say I explicitly hated it because thankfully it's the kind of movie that I always forget it exists. I do like video games, even if my passion for them has died down in the last year or three, but that Oasis thing looked completely uninteresting and unappealing. It had no weight or likeability or anything extra - I'm surprised Spielberg directed it himself instead of shoving it off to Michael Bay and maybe producing if he really wanted - I don't see much indication onscreen that it is otherwise. The best it promised from the start was an OK to good Williams score - oh wait a second...

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Accountant - started doing that falling-asleep-then-violently-jerking-awake thing with about 20 minutes of this fairly implausible action-thriller to go. Rewinding and forcing concentration until the end (and a read of its Wiki page today) helped 'join the dots'. 

OK, with maybe a better cast than it deserved (Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick, John Bernthal, JK Simmons, John Lithgow).    

Watched this one on a plane. Enjoyed it for what it was.