THE BEST OF 2012

crocodile

b) learning that the theme used in the Lincoln trailer was based on a theme by Copland. This isn't any major theft because JW changes it a lot, but still.

I listened to the piece and only the opening 4 notes of the music, that in a slightly changed harmony open the People's House carry obvious similarity. It is a shame that it ruined the whole theme for you.

Oh god, another debate if 'originality' is measured by a few similar-sounding bars. As if LINCOLN suddenly would transform in a unique monument to innovation if the four notes were changed.

TOP 5 film score re-releases

Hook

Chamber of Secrets sessions

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull sessions

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Personal highlight of the year

Seeing Williams & Spielberg in Atlanta; in particular, hearing Fawkes the Phoenix and the Star Wars theme

Williams' 80th birthday celebration at Tanglewood

Disappointment of the year

The Hobbit score as heard in the film, though I'm excited to hear the album

Best new scores:

"Warhorse". I include this, because the UK did not get either the film or the cd until January this year. I also Like "The Hobbit", and "Skyfall" (even though I think that Thomas Newman is not right for James Bond).

Best re-issue? I'll give you a hint: THERE IS NO COMPARISOM!!!!!!!!

JB's "King Kong" wasn't bad, either.

b) learning that the theme used in the Lincoln trailer was based on a theme by Copland. This isn't any major theft because JW changes it a lot, but still.

I listened to the piece and only the opening 4 notes of the music, that in a slightly changed harmony open the People's House carry obvious similarity. It is a shame that it ruined the whole theme for you.

Oh, it didn't ruin the entire theme for me. I'm actually working on an analysis for FSMO and I've realized how clever the theme is. And JW takes it to places Copland never did. But it's still a little disappointing.

The Dark Knight Rises is far from a cut and paste job, I don't get why everyone is all over that score for reusing past themes.

Okay, I generally have good feelings toward the score, so don't take me as a Zimmer hater, but there are large chunks of the score that are just completely taken out of the past two films. It's not like it's a reference to them; it just feels lazy. I was and still am very disappointed that Zimmer chose to end his trilogy of scores by thoughtlessly repeating an almost identical version of the ending from The Dark Knight.

It's not reusing themes. Not at all. It's straight up reusing music. It sounds very bad to listen to.

TOP 5 new film scores:

1) Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2

2) Marvel's The Avengers

3) Brave

4) Life of Pi

5) The Impossible

1) King Kong Lives

2) Predator

3) Hook

4) The Black Cauldron

5) Conan the Barbarian

Other music (games, TV etc.)

"Young Justice" (Lolita Ritmanis/Kristopher Carter/Michael McCuiston)

"Green Lantern: The Animated Series" (Frederik Wiedemann)

Personal highlight of the year.

"Tenuous Winners/Returning Home", "Rue's Farewell", "You Can't Have My Heart", "Coronation", "Happy End", "John Carter (End Credits", "Getting Out the Vote", "Freedom's Call"

Disappointment of the year (same as above, but inverted)

Rise of the Guardians

Lincoln

A seldom mentioned release is Rózsa's THE RED HOUSE (Intrada re-recording). It is miles better than some of the generic mentioned above (AVENGERS et al.).

As for new scores, i can only say

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD (short on material but it is really catchy)

LINCOLN

the impossible triple nomination of AMAZING SPIDERMAN/BLACK GOLD/GREATER GLORY (all suck to a certain degree, but feature at least one or two gorgeous ideas)

RISE OF THE GUARDIANS / RUST AND BONE (one atmospheric french score and one big splashy Hollywood adventure are my inevitable Desplat picks)

SINISTER (although most here will find it a tad too experimental)

THE MASTER (dito)

COSMOPOLIS (Shore in his slightly hip minimal mode which ooze big city atmosphere, it's good)

maybe ANNA KARENINA, but i must listen to it more.

Right...

the best ...

so far...

TOP 5

new scores

BEL AMI - Rachel Portman

ZERO DARK THIRTY - Alexandre Desplat

THE AWAKENING - Daniel Pemberton

DE ROUILLE ET D'OS - Alexandre Desplat

COLUMBUS CIRCLE - Brian Tyler

TOP 5

re-issues and first-time releases

Condorman - Henry Mancini

Diario de una ninfómana - Roque Banos / Mariano Marin

Die Hard with a Vengeance - Michael Kamen

Charade - Henry Mancini

Topaz - Maurice Jarre

games & tv

Kinect Star Wars - Kyle Newmaster / Goordy Haab

Fringe, Season IV - Chris Tilton

Personal highlight of the year.

Inside the Actor's Studio by Angelo Badalamenti,

the SUITE arranged and conducted by Dirk Brossé in 2010 with the Brussels Philharmonic

Battleship

Hitchcock

Rise of the Guardians

Skyfall

Good scores that almost made it into the top 5, but couldn't compete with the winners, are:

Dark Shadows - Danny Elfman

The Hobbit - Howard Shore

Lincoln - John Williams

The Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

Also, haven't had a chance to listen to JACK REACHER, yet. If you trust the rumors, it could be the next big thing, you know?

Kinect Star Wars - Kyle Newmaster / Goordy Haab

In my opinion, the composers have done a great job, of course it isn't a masterpiece, but it's a surprising work :).

My Favorite Scores of 2012

1. The Hobbit

2. Skyfall -- And I wasn't expecting much from Newman!

3. The Avengers

My Favorite Re-Releases

1. Hook

2. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

3. Conan the Barbarian

4. Star Trek: First Contact

Personal Highlight of the Year

The sessions leaks for Crystal Skull and Chamber of Secrets

Disappointment of the Year

The score for The Dark Knight Rises

TOP 5 new scores

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Howard Shore)

2. The Master by Jonny Greenwood

3. Lincoln by John Williams

4. John Carter by Michael Giacchino

5. The Amazing Spider-Man by James Horner

The other stuff: It was a very strong year for James Horner. Originality issues aside, his three scores were all very enjoyable. One the other hand, Danny Elfman didn't deliver a single memorable work this year, which for me is quite surprising. Hopefully, next year? Skyfall was ok, so was Desplat's Guardians score (if somewhat too Hollywood). The Dark Knight Rises played relatively well on album, but in the film it was often too much (which apparently was the intention). And that's pretty much all I bought this year (apart from Jack Reacher , which is coming out in January 2013 but is technically speaking a 2012 score).

TOP 5 re-releases

1. Edge of Darkness (Music from the Edge) by John Corigliano: simply the best single album I bought this year

2. Die Hard 2: Die Harder by Michael Kamen: a more crowdpleasing version of this music, clearly the most entertaining album of the three released over the last year

3. Batman Forever by Elliot Goldenthal: a brilliant work which on discs feels almost like a post-modern ballet of sorts

4. Predator by Alan Silvestri: something I wanted to have for a long time, but missed out on twice!

5. Back to Gaya by Michael Kamen: a sweet tribute album of sorts

The other stuff: Again, this year most for me dominated by scores released under this category. And what a great time it was. We got no less than 5 complete Star Trek film works released on CD! John Barry's King Kong score almost made a cut, I'm really enjoying it. Some more Batman: The Animated Series was an another highlight. Ben-Hur got a spectacular treatment, as did Quo Vadis in a re-recording department. Oh and I liked The Shadow and The Untouchables quite a bit as well.

Highlight of the year: Meeting Elliot Goldenthal and his great concert in Krakow. Magic.

Disappointment of the year: La-La Land's Hook release. Listened to it only once, I think. A rare misstep from otherwise brilliant soundtrack label.

Karol - surprised that three of his favourite scores this year come from rather mediocre Hollywood movies.

Am I correct in guessing that you consider Spiderman John Carter and Hobbit the mediocre Hollywood films and Master and Lincoln the good ones?

Well, yes. Mediocre. Not that I didn't enjoy them, but there's nothing special about them. Haven't seen Lincoln yet and The Master was the best film of the year, certainly.

Karol

Hook

Star Trek TOS 15 Disc Collection

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek IV

Star Trek VI

All these Recording Sessions

The Hobbit score as heard in the OST, though I was excited to hear it as in the Film.

TOP 5 new film scores

1. The Hobbit

2. Lincoln

3. Amazing Spider-Man

4. Anna Karenina

5. Life of Pi

Meeting Michael Giacchino and spending time with him in March.

Skyfail

Other music (games, TV etc.)

"Young Justice" (Lolita Ritmanis/Kristopher Carter/Michael McCuiston)

"Green Lantern: The Animated Series" (Frederik Wiedemann)

I'm curious; have you ever watched Young Justice?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

W.E. is a 2011 film and has been recognized by award bodies and critics as such. I generally categorize films by their first major release date. W.E. is a good score (despite its relative simplicity) with plenty of charming moments. It didn't quite make my top 10 in 2011 because it was such a strong year, but it's definitely not to be missed.

Having said that, expect a Korzeniowski review on Thursday ;)

• 10 months later...

Just re-read this whole thread, and realized I never posted my list (probably because when the thread started there was a bunch of stuff I hadn't heard yet).

Here we go now!

TOP 5 FILM SCORES OF 2012:
1. Howard Shore - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
2. John Williams - Lincoln
3. Michael Giacchino - John Carter
4. Alexandre Desplat - Rise of the Guardians
5. James Horner - The Amazing Spider-man
Runners up:
Chris Bacon - High Ground
Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher
Christian Henson - Grabbers
Pino Donaggio - Passion
Patrick Doyle - Brave
Nathan Johnson - Looper
Danny Elfman - Hitchcock
Henry Jackman - Wreck-It-Ralph
James Horner - Black Gold
James Horner - Cristiada
TOP 10 INDIVIDUAL TRACKS OF 2012:
1. John Williams - The Peterson House and Finale (from Lincoln)
2. Michael Giacchino - John Carter of Mars (from John Carter)
3. Joe Kraemer - Finale and End Credits (from Jack Reacher)
4. Howard Shore - Radagast the Brown (from An Unexpected Journey)
5. Howard Shore - Out of the Frying Pan (from An Unexpected Journey)
6. Michael Giacchino - Ten Bitter Years (from John Carter)
7. Michael Giacchino - A Thern For The Worse (from John Carter)
8. Howard Shore - The Adventure Begins (from An Unexpected Journey)
9. John Williams - The People's House (from Lincoln)
10. John Williams - With Malice Towards None (from Lincoln)
Runners up:
Andrew Lockington - Mysterious Island Main Titles (from Journey 2: The Mysterious Island)
Henry Jackman - Wreck-It-Ralph (from Wreck-It-Ralph)
Danny Elfman - The Premiere (from Hitchcock)
Danny Elfman - Paramount / Out The Gate (from Hitchcock)
Harry Gregson-Williams - Life (from Prometheus)
Patrick Doyle - Fate and Destiny (from Brave)
Patrick Doyle - Merida's Home (from Brave)
Howard Shore - My Dear Frodo (from An Unexpected Journey)
Howard Shore - Warg-Scouts (from An Unexpected Journey)
Howard Shore - Over Hill (from An Unexpected Journey)
Howard Shore - Brass Buttons (from An Unexpected Journey)
Howard Shore - A Very Respectable Hobbit (from An Unexpected Journey)
Howard Shore - Dreaming of Bag End (from An Unexpected Journey)
John Williams - The Purpose of the Amendment (from Lincoln)
John Williams - Getting Out The Vote (from Lincoln)
TOP 5 CATALOG TITLES OF 2012:
1. John Williams - Hook (La-La Land)
2. Michael Kamen - Die Hard With A Vengeance (La-La Land)
3. Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture (La-La Land)
4. Elliot Goldenthal - Batman Forever (La-La Land)
5. Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: First Contact (GNP Crescendo)
Runners Up:
Shirley Walker & Various - Batman The Animated Series Volume 2 (La-La Land)
Mark Mancina - Speed (La-La Land)
John Williams - The Long Goodbye (Quartet)
(Sorry, Conan The Barbarian and Ben Hur fans - I haven't even heard those releases. Nor was I interested in any of the Star Trek releases of 2012 besides First Contact)
BEST VIDEO GAME / TV / ETC MUSIC OF 2012:
My favorite TV score of 2012 is WITHOUT QUESTION Christ Tilton and Andrea Datzman's FANTASTIC score to the short-lived TV series "Alcatraz" (pilot score by Michael Giacchino). Every week I would watch the new episode (which were are pretty good, it was a pretty good show) but just be amazed by the scoring, especially the action scoring (very reminiscent of LOST) - though the other cues had standouts too. Since the show bombed it's unlikely a release will EVER happen but damn, I would buy it in a heartbeat!
The only TV/game scoring that was actually released that that comes to mind is Chris Tilton's music for Fringe (seasons 4 and 5). Good stuff!
BEST FILM SCORE LABEL OF 2012:
That would be La-La Land Records, no question! Their releases of Hook, Star Trek TMP, and Die Hard 3 alone cemented their lead, but adding another volume of Batman Animated music, a bunch of 90s gems (Batman Forever, Speed, The Bodyguard, Galaxy Quest, etc etc) plus great re-issues of Jane Eyre and Home Alone 2, and great new scores like Looper and Jack Reacher... just an unstoppable force of a label in 2012. This was also the year they release the Star Trek: The Original Series box set don't forget! It is no surprise they won Label of the Year at the IFMCA Awards!
Interestingly, I didn't buy a single Intrada or Kritzerland release of 2012, and only bought one FSM (King Kong), one Quartet (The Long Goodbye) and one Varese (Die Hard 2). Wow!
SPECIFIC HIGHLIGHTS OF 2012:
No question, that's getting my name in print on a film score CD (La-La Land's HOOK release). So grateful to be involved even in a tiny way on a film score release!
Beyond that, it was getting to hear Hook music we never heard before, because it wasn't in the film or on the boots (original version of the teaser music and the extra fanfare in Hook's Entrance). Howard Shore and Peter Jackson returning us to Middle Earth. The new Radagast The Brown, warg, and goblin music knocked my socks off, and the new twists on LOTR themes were so much fun! John Williams writing crazy emotional music that gets me every time just a year after doing the same thing with War Horse. War Horse and Lincoln are both filled with so many themes, and they are all so fantastic! Finally it would be Alexandre Desplat coming out of nowhere to blow me away with his Rise of the Guardians score.
Also, I fell in love with the marriage of imagery and score for the opening title sequence of Life of Pi. Brilliant!
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENTS OF 2012:
Score wise, Danny Elfman's Dark Shadows, Men In Black 3, Frankenweenie all being completely uninteresting. What happened Danny?
Movie wise, Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises both completely sucking. I was REALLY looking forward to both movies, and they couldn't have possibly been more disappointing....
Also; David Arnold not returning to the Bond scores for Skyfall (and I don't like Newman's score at all). Howard Shore's score to An Unexpected Journey being hacked to bits, and whole sections replaced by music almost exactly the same as LOTR cues in the final cut of the film. John Carter not being a hit with critics or movie-goers (I thought it was great, and want a sequel!). The HOOK release being required to have John Williams input and having to use the film's music stems for the last act which both led to the release not containing some great music.
~
Anybody else want to add thoughts on 2012 scores and releases?
Handy list of films released in 2012: click
Handy list of specialty label releases of 2012 (have to expand each spoiler block): click

It pretty much is a perfect release of a fantastic score, though I personally would have moved the original LP to the start of disc 3, and the Alternates to the end of Disc 2. That way everything essential is on the first 2 discs, and you only rarely dig out disc 3. Also, Klingon Battle doesn't have a clean opening anywhere on the set for some reason.

• 2 months later...

I'm actually planning to go through all those "Best of 20.." and posts my lists in each of them, just for the fun of it, when I'll have the time. I'll do it chronogically, so 2012 will be last...