Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

34 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’m sure it’s a “The Future of Star Wars” piece or issue. and not some grand reveal.

It's still an announcement...from a certain point of view.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

The only thing on those covers from 25 years ago is Qui-Gon and Maul. Where's Jake Lloyd?

I guess we've all heard that Lloyd had a hard time with his celebrity from the get-go, when he was teased by other kids, and then his later troubles. I hope that he's getting some love from the fans now with the current nostalgia and new appreciation for the prequels.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I guess we've all heard that Lloyd had a hard time with his celebrity from the get-go, when he was teased by other kids, and then his later troubles. I hope that he's getting some love from the fans now with the current nostalgia and new appreciation for the prequels.

This is true of course. I'm just saying those covers are FAR more representative of 2002 than 1999.

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

This is true of course. I'm just saying those covers are FAR more representative of 2002 than 1999.

Agreed. I guess they thought putting Hayden on the "Light Side" cover holding a saber would grab people's attention more than little "Ani".

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Agreed. I guess they thought putting Hayden on the "Light Side" cover holding a saber would grab people's attention more than little "Ani".

I think the intention was for it to "rhyme" with the Dark Side cover, the pose is even the same.

1 minute ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

I think the intention was for it to "rhyme" with the Dark Side cover, the pose is even the same.

You know whenever I hear the word "rhyme" now, I think of Star Wars? lol

image.gif

It's things like this that remind that there is a goodly chunk of the population, certainly the Star Wars fan population that see The Phantom Menace as the really rough start and Attack of the Clones and certainly Revenge of the Sith as when Lucas found his footing again.

I hope it's a Special Edition with new features! Perhaps a fresh and shorter edit of the movie, focusing on the Jedi's perspective to enrich the plot (like the LEGO movie, which has a better narrative I think). :devil:

23 hours ago, Tallguy said:

The only thing on those covers from 25 years ago is Qui-Gon and Maul. Where's Jake Lloyd?

Well, Qui Gon is very much the main character of the film. Anakin is like a sideplot of a sideplot.

You jest, but The Phantom Menace WAS revised quite extensively and detrimentally by Lucas: you know how people complain the Podrace (a setpiece I quite like) is too long? That's because Lucas went back and ADDED almost an entire lap.

On 10/02/2024 at 11:20 AM, Nick1Ø66 said:

Yes. Audiences deserve to see The Phantom Menace as Lucas always intended it...and...finally...see the Midi-chlorians portrayed on screen, something Lucas couldn't do in 1999 because of technological limitations. My understanding is that Warwick Davis will be doing mocap as the head light side Midi-chlorian, with Peter Dinklage his dark side counterpart, as George always intended.

I'm sorry some of you fell in love with a half-finished movie.

I would be happy just to see an edit of the movie without Shmi grimacing at each lap of Anakin in the Pod Race.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You jest, but The Phantom Menace WAS revised quite extensively and detrimentally by Lucas: you know how people complain the Podrace (a setpiece I quite like) is too long? That's because Lucas went back and ADDED almost an entire lap.

Wasn't that for the DVD? I know the DVD (and every home video release thereafter) had an extended Podrace sequence.

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I would be happy just to see an edit of the movie without Shmi grimacing at each lap of Anakin in the Pod Race.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm trying to imagine Lucas's direction in this scene..."OK Natalie & Pernilla, look this pad with a video of Jake Llyod's screen test....and...ACTION!"

7 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I'm trying to imagine Lucas's direction in this scene..."OK Natalie & Pernilla, look this pad with a video of Jake Llyod's screen test....and...ACTION!"

Personally, this kind of scene is what bothers me the most in the Star Wars prequels. Lucas's (and his close associates') inability to come to the conclusion that the scene, as shot, even if it seemed relevant on paper, is NOT good and needs to be removed from the film.

35 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Wasn't that for the DVD? I know the DVD (and every home video release thereafter) had an extended Podrace sequence.

Again, in the LEGO movie, the podrace scene is perfect i.e. short and without Shmi grimaces.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Personally, this kind of scene is what bothers me the most in the Star Wars prequels. Lucas's (and his close associates') inability to come to the conclusion that the scene, as shot, even if it seemed relevant on paper, is NOT good and needs to be removed from the film.

If you take it out, then I can't cleverly remark to others: "Hey look! The first iPad!"

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

If you take it out, then I can't cleverly remark to others: "Hey look! The first iPad!"

Are you implying that you watch Star Wars movies with friends? I don't believe it!

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Are you implying that you watch Star Wars movies with friends? I don't believe it!

6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

You're counting on your friends not having watched Star Trek or 2001?

Tough crowd here! :lol:

49 minutes ago, Bespin said:

As the TPM documentary aptly illustrates, Lucas's "close sycophants associates" didn't have the guts to speak up when it was obvious they were in the midst of watching a slow train wreck unfolding in front of them.

Yeah. There are a couple of VFX shots and probably the nighttime scene with Qui Gon and Anakin that were shot on an early (and very crude) digital camera.

And the entire film for the best of my knowledge went through a 1080p DI and this was used as the basis for the latest remaster, too. So its really not THAT much high-res than Attack of the Clones, and certainly not than Revenge of the Sith.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

If it’s a general release and not one of those stupid one-night-only event screenings, I may take my kid.

It does say May 3rd on the poster, which is a Friday.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

My kid’s pretty young - the target age for episode I.  I was over 10 at the time, so no dice for me!

Yeah I saw it at 8 and that is definitely the target age. Sure I was bored with some of the talk-ier scenes, but I loved Jar Jar, Darth Maul and the fact that a kid my age got to fly in both a podracer and a sick looking yellow Naboo starfighter. I’d only just seen the OT for the first time at that point, but even next to that, the music still made a huge impression too.

I was 9 when it came out and I know I saw it in theaters but have no memory of it making an impression on me. I know I got caught up in the storm around it because I vividly remember things like the Pepsi cans, Darth Maul lightsaber toy, the podracing video game, the Weird Al song. I don't think I was interested in the music yet, though, Attack of the Clones is the first Star Wars soundtrack I remember actively listening to. We did get Phantom Menace on DVD but it was actually the behind-the-scenes documentary that I couldn't get enough of, I watched THAT a million times. Big part of me becoming a movie nerd. 

I never really thought very critically about the prequels and just found it kind of funny that it became de rigueur to hate them. I always thought whatever, they were Star Wars movies. Looking back, it does make sense that it rarely occurred to me to rewatch them but clearly there were plenty in my generation who did. I definitely was very excited about Episode III and saw it twice in theaters. 

I was also nine and watched it at the time. I remember very specific shots and beats. I remember pretty much the entire Darth Maul duel, sans Obi Wan who I had no recollection of. I did remember there was a boy on a desert planet called something "Skywalker" and for all I knew, HE was Qui-Gon's apprentice. I remembered they cremated Qui Gon (which I thought was sad) and the closing parade. 

I also remember the entire Senate sequence: not what they were talking about, but mostly the visuals, especially the establishing shot and the big pan around Padme in that outrageous costume, as well as the "Vote now!" chants that followed. Other than that, I remembered this shot: 

4k-swphantom-starwarsscreencaps.com-1458

But my memories for years to come were mixed up with those of The Fifth Element, making me remember that the shot then cut to this one:

fifth-element(1997)_1320.jpg

Beyond that, I may have remembered a few shots from Tatooine, mostly around Anakin's hovel.

I only saw the then five Star Wars episodes at home a few weeks or months before RotS came out. Before that, I remember seeing a few bits of AOTC on DVD a few years before, but it didn't grab me. I was much more into Raimi's Spider-Man, LOTR and Harry Potter back then.

Some trivia that I just discovered...

The actor who played Bib Fortuna—one of my fave Star Wars creature characters—also played the Tube victim in 'An American Werewolf in London'. A chap named Michael Carter.

IMG_3678.jpeg

IMG_3677.jpeg

Now when I watch 'Jedi' I'll be imagining Bib saying: "I can assure you that this is not in the least bit amusing! I shall report this!"

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Pode ser uma imagem de 3 pessoas, brinquedo e texto que diz ""He brings home 6 figures a month""

This was true in my 20s. They'd be much less impressed with my current monthly take-home.

17 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

This was true in my 20s. They'd be much less impressed with my current monthly take-home.

Oh, yes, I was talking about action figures. :lol: