The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Looks like a Disney TV show. 

But I'm glad to see Brie still has her t ... Oops, I almost said something inappropriate. 

There is no rule saying you can't say tits.  Your mocking misinterpretation of the rules is getting very tiring

2 hours ago, Jay said:

There is no rule saying you can't say tits.  Your mocking misinterpretation of the rules is getting very tiring

Let's do a poll to see if that is true.

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

Tits? Where would they have gone?

Jennifer Connely once had them and then they were gone.

3 hours ago, Brónach said:

Muscle demands fat!

Muscle? 

She got into very good shape for this movie.  Often when people get into shape, they lose fat, including in their breasts.  This is not rocket science.

So I finished Secret Invasion yesterday and I can't believe how bad the writing was in the last couple episodes. Don't get me wrong, the acting and scoring throughout the series were both great and I was definitely vibing with the tone of the first couple of episodes, but looking at the series as a whole, the plot was stupid and inconsequential and all the potential that this series had for good twists and tense paranoia was just completely wasted. It was the sheer number of superheroes and world leaders who had been replaced by skrull imposters that made the original comicbook storyline so cool. This should have been an Avengers movie and the Nick Fury show should have just been something smaller and more personal.

I had the strange timing of watching episode 1 shortly after it came out, then taking a 3 week vacation, then watching episodes 2-5 in short order 4 weeks after I saw the first episode, and now haven't had time to see episode 6 yet.

With any luck I'll get a chance to catch it this weekend.  I've been enjoying the show just fine, but I also wasn't expecting anything grand from it so I had no expectations that were let down or anything

Was underwhelmed by the first Secret Invasion episode, then excited watching episodes 2 to 5. Haven't watched 6 yet. But these final episodes of these Marvel shows manage to disappoint regularly. So, my expectations for the finale are not high.

Olivia Coleman really elevates the show a lot when she appears, which sadly isn't that much

I'm not convinced that Emilia Clarke is good at playing anyone other than Daenerys

Some website spoiled one of Secret Invasion's major plot twists for me:

Spoiler

That Don Cheadle's Rhodey was replaced by a Skrull by the end of Civil War, and the Rhodey we see during Infinity War and Endgame was an impostor. The real Rhodey still didn't heal his legs and doesn't know Tony has died.

I appreciate Marvel for such a ballsy and sad twist, but at the same time this ruins...

Spoiler

Rhodey's MCU arc.

Oh, I WANT to see the sixth episode, I just haven't had a chance to since it dropped

I've not seen a single Marvel series, including any of the old Netflix ones. If one had to pick a top 3 to sample, which would those be? 

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Hide contents

I appreciate Marvel for such a ballsy and sad twist, but at the same time this ruins...

Hide contents

Wow! Ok, that's interesting.

Spoiler

So literally anyone can be a Skrull in disguise. Shouldn't everyone be super paranoid and not trust anyone then? Why does the President just assume Rhodes is who he appears to be? Shouldn't there be some kind of DnA test or retina scan security protocol to get to the President? Did I miss something?

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Hide contents

That Don Cheadle's Rhodey was replaced by a Skrull by the end of Civil War, and the Rhodey we see during Infinity War and Endgame was an impostor. The real Rhodey still didn't heal his legs and doesn't know Tony has died.

Hide contents

Rhodey's MCU arc.

Yeah, but this actually makes zero sense. There's no explanation for this.

It's kinda stupid 

I actually have Agent Carter on disc, both seasons.

I've heard good things about Hawkeye too.

Not keen on WandaVision or Ms Marvel, not my vibe.

Explain what you mean about "vibe"?  And what's the harm in giving the first episode of each 45 minutes of your time to see if you're wrong about their "vibe"?

I wouldn't say that WandaVision has much witchcraft (the upcoming show Agatha: Coven of Chaos would be where that will go)

And I wouldn't say Ms. Marvel is girly at all

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

What?

I think Jay just means that, while the primary protagonist is a female teenager, she's not a stereotypically "girly" one (i.e. she's not a cheerleader, etc.) Her defining character feature is that she's a huge fan of comic books. She's a Marvel Superfan who becomes a Marvel Superhero. And the focus is much more on her culture than her gender.

Yavar

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I don't buy it.

Wasn't he caught underground in the Avengers Compound explosion in Endgame?

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I think Jay just means that, while the primary protagonist is a female teenager, she's not a stereotypically "girly" one (i.e. she's not a cheerleader, etc.) Her defining character feature is that she's a huge fan of comic books. She's a Marvel Superfan who becomes a Marvel Superhero. And the focus is much more on her culture than her gender.

Yavar

Hm. Ok. Then we really might have different definitions of what is a girlie show. For me this whole coming of age setting with parent conflicts, who am I, what impact do I have on boys, the power coming form jewlery of course (a bangle), what and who is important for me etc., all that is in my view what I call a girly show like Hanna Montana or other stuff like that. Even if I compare Ms. Marvel with for example "Extraordinary", which has kind of a similar setup, Ms. Marvel is more girly in comparison. At least to me.

49 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Hm. Ok. Then we really might have different definitions of what is a girlie show. For me this whole coming of age setting with parent conflicts, who am I, what impact do I have on boys, the power coming form jewlery of course (a bangle), what and who is important for me etc., all that is in my view what I call a girly show like Hanna Montana or other stuff like that. Even if I compare Ms. Marvel with for example "Extraordinary", which has kind of a similar setup, Ms. Marvel is more girly in comparison. At least to me.

Wow, this entire paragraph is so far off the mark I don't know what to say.  The show isn't what you assume it is, but I guess you'll never find out

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Hm. Ok. Then we really might have different definitions of what is a girlie show. For me this whole coming of age setting with parent conflicts, who am I,

What on earth is inherently feminine or girly about those? Is Spider-Man girly because of the "coming of age" aspects of his story?

what impact do I have on boys

So... a female character having a male love interest inherently makes something "girly"? Love interests are a pretty typical trope in superhero stories. Would you prefer her to be lesbian?

the power coming form jewlery of course (a bangle),

I was going to bring up Green Lantern and Shang-Chi, but @Signals beat me to it with his reply. :) 

So, uh...

MV5BMWEwZmJiMzEtMWVmOC00NzY0LWJiMzItMjgz

what and who is important for me etc., all that is in my view what I call a girly show like Hanna Montana or other stuff like that.

"what and who is important for me" to me fits with "who am I"... and it's like the basis of any character arc in fiction, even for characters who aren't younger and "coming of age".

Apart from maybe the jewelry-granting-powers detail, none of the things you described would fail to fit, well... "Boy Meets World".

Yavar

5 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What on earth is inherently feminine or girly about those? Is Spider-Man girly because of the "coming of age" aspects of his story?

So... a female character having a male love interest inherently makes something "girly"? Love interests are a pretty typical trope in superhero stories. Would you prefer her to be lesbian?

I was going to bring up Green Lantern and Shang-Chi, but @Signals beat me to it with his reply. :) 

So, uh...

MV5BMWEwZmJiMzEtMWVmOC00NzY0LWJiMzItMjgz

"what and who is important for me" to me fits with "who am I"... and it's like the basis of any character arc in fiction, even for characters who aren't younger and "coming of age".

Apart from maybe the jewelry-granting-powers detail, none of the things you described would fail to fit, well... "Boy Meets World".

Yavar

OK. First of all, I am not saying, that a TV show being girly is a bad thing. 

Second, the mention of "She is not a cheerleader" that is just typical US American. Why would "girly" need to be typically that? So, what is girly? Is it a coming of age story about a girl? Or what is it? So, the question in our is discussion in not, is Ms Marvel girly or not, but what is girly?

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, this entire paragraph is so far off the mark I don't know what to say.  The show isn't what you assume it is, but I guess you'll never find out

Advice: Next time, when you don't know what to say, just shut up.

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Nobody tell him about the film Stand By Me

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

OK. I never called Spiderman girly. And you seriously ask what is feminine about a coming of age story of a teenager girl, her struggle with tradition and expectations to her as a growing up woman? 

2 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Nobody tell him about the film Stand By Me

So, for you Ms Marvel and Stand By Me are the same genre? Interesting.

I think it was more about the age group in general. This definitely felt like one of these Disney Channel type of shows. It's all good, because we have fantasy, political thrillers, even horror elsewhere in the MCU. I liked the cultural stuff and actors but overall felt bit too old for this.

And, yes, I am aware of the irony of pointing put some Marvel content wasn't "mature enough" for me. It's not lost on me. 🤣

Karol

"Girly" in the context I intended was that having seen bits and pieces of artwork, promotional materials and so on, I did not feel I was really in the target audience for this show and had no desire to seek it out.

That first teaser for The Marvels certainly did not help either (for the record I enjoyed Captain Marvel).

If someone else enjoys this show, regardless of their gender, good on them, no issues with me.

16 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

"Girly" in the context I intended was that having seen bits and pieces of artwork, promotional materials and so on, I did not feel I was really in the target audience for this show and had no desire to seek it out.

That's probably because you're old wise.

1 hour ago, greenturnedblue said:

They are both coming of age stories, yes

Now I got it. You read my explanation and understood girly = coming of age, so just have to come up with one coming of age story that is not about girls to prove me wrong. Oh dear. :sarcasm:

I think that all MCU content aims for the same general audience.  It's all in about the same PG-13 territory, hoping to get interest from older middle schoolers, high school kids, the coveted 18-45 demographic, and of course all the boomers who grew up with these comics and are now finally seeing these stories told with the proper special effects they only ever dreamed were possible before.  By and large, it's all mostly in the same summer blockbuster, lightly comedic action/adventure zone.

They occasionally try dips into other genres to widen their audience; Dr Strange 2 heads towards horror, the later Thor movies borderline on being outright comedies, Winter Soldier is more of a spy thriller, etc.  And yes that includes sometimes having features with younger protagonists - Peter Parker is 15 in Spider-man: Homecoming, younger than Kamala Khan in Ms. Marvel (16).  And I don't see anything in Homecoming that is particularly "boy-y", just as I don't see anything in Ms. Marvel that is particularly "girly".  Both stories feature struggles at school, fights with their parental figures, a love interest, etc.  They're more about general coming of age than anything to do with gender.

I'd say She-Hulk is significantly more girly than Ms. Marvel is.