Thomas Newman replaces John Williams on Bridge of Spies [UPDATE: New Spielberg interview mentions Williams' health]

Jay

Thank was a nice interview and I'm glad he put some negative thoughts about Williams health to rest. After seeing the trailer for BOS, I'm not the least bit interested in the film, but I will pick up the score since I enjoy Newman's music. Bring on The BFG, though! I'm looking forward to another fantasy film from Spielberg and of course another fantasy score from Williams. Since they are currently editing the film, Williams may get to work on it sooner than I expected.

Huh? How does Duel factor into "We've only not worked together twice in 42 years."?

I guess it doesn't. It's more in general, that he keeps "forgetting" those other films. And yes, I'm well aware that DUEL was made for TV (but shown theatrically in Europe), TWILIGHT ZONE was an anthology film and POLTERGEIST was formally directed by Tobe Hooper.

It would be pretty cool if Spielberg talked a bit about Billy Goldenberg at some point, who was the closest thing he had to a regular composer before Williams (having scored not only DUEL, but several of his TV episodes).

Nice words from Spielberg, but he tends to forget DUEL and TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE. And -- if you count it -- POLTERGEIST.

Didn't Dante handle at least the music side of post production on TZ? Spielberg only did part of the film, and apparently also wasn't involved when it was scored, so he didn't work with Williams on it, but neither with any other composer.

Yes, I just read the liner notes of the FSM CD recently. Dante oversaw most of the post-production including the scoring sessions.

Williams was busy in 1985 with other stuff anyway; He didn't score any films between 1984's IJ2TOD and 1986's SpaceCamp

It would be pretty cool if Spielberg talked a bit about Billy Goldenberg at some point, who was the closest thing he had to a regular composer before Williams (having scored not only DUEL, but several of his TV episodes).

Spielberg: "Who?"

Spielberg talks pretty extensively and very nicely about Billy Goldenberg and his score to Duel in the interview featured on the DVD.

Spielberg talks pretty extensively and very nicely about Billy Goldenberg and his score to Duel in the interview featured on the DVD.

Of course, but that's the DUEL DVD. I was thinking more about their history together up to and including that point. If memory serves, he doesn't go into that very much there. Only about the score, in particular.

The only odd thing about all this, still, is that Spielberg wanted the score written and recorded way back in what, Jan/Feb of this year, for its October release date. In the end, I think him wanting to immediately jump into The BFG played as much of a role in JW not scoring it as JW's back thing and the Star Wars 7 timeline did.

It's more than likely Spielberg wanted to lock the picture in terms of editing and scoring before starting shooting The BFG. It's not the first time he did such a thing (same thing happened with War of the Worlds, if I remember well).

Also, since Spielberg is already in pre-production for Ready Player One, I guess JW will start working on The BFG quite soon.

The only odd thing about all this, still, is that Spielberg wanted the score written and recorded way back in what, Jan/Feb of this year, for its October release date. In the end, I think him wanting to immediately jump into The BFG played as much of a role in JW not scoring it as JW's back thing and the Star Wars 7 timeline did.

It's more than likely Spielberg wanted to lock the picture in terms of editing and scoring before starting shooting The BFG. It's not the first time he did such a thing (same thing happened with War of the Worlds, if I remember well).

Yes, I think this has been his practice ever since doing Jurassic Park and Schindler's List simultaneously, which was supposedly a nightmare for him to be looking at VFX dailies every night in Krakow. Ever since then, even when he's had two movies released in the same year, he wasn't working on both of them at the same time.

Spielberg talks Williams:

"He's fine, he's 100 percent back to work on "Star Wars,"

Steven, you ol' jester.

:P

Which means that Star Wars and BFG will be Williams' first back to back scores since 2011

He didn't specify what the procedure was for, but it's presumably related to his back issues. The point is, he's doing well now, has finished with Star Wars (aside from possible pickups) and will most likely start on The BFG soon.

Spielberg's comments are heartening news for sure and to me it's clear he and JW are getting along perfectly fine (the comments I read here sometimes make me wonder).

It's exciting to think too about Spielberg's plan to make multiple movies in the next few years -- this should likely mean more JW scores!

About time those pesky Spielberg kids went off to college. Stop distracting your dad from giving us more John Williams music!

Geez, people are so self absorbed nowadays.