Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Just came back from the film. Don't worry, I'm not going to spoil anything. However, I can say that the opening of the film was the highlight for me. There's a whole 'getting to see the island' sequence that is carefully edited to the hits of John Williams' theme. Wow, cool. It also puts into the relieff that dreary score by Giacchino, which once again comes off as a sequence of random chords. I seriously can't see what you guys see in him. Baffled.

As for the film itself, let me just say it's better than the trailer suggests, but also with LOADS of warts, so it wasn't completely off. I'll refrain from spoiling anything at this point.

There are a few more of Williams' secondary themes too -- like the 'mystery chords' on horn, some tribal percussion that sounds kinda like THE LOST WORLD and the "Petticoat Lane" theme (I think) for a particular reference scene.

As I'm currently writing my own review, I discover there's a lot of negative things I have to get off my chest first (basically because the ideology that drives this film is rather different from the previous three), but when taken on its own terms, there are some neat things in the film. Thank God it's much better than the trailers, at least.

I can't believe people are sad about Zara's death. I was literally going FUCK YES, THIS IS AWESOME. It was brutal, it was fun, it was light horror and it took great advantage of the Pterosaurus. I loved it.

Well, if the poor woman had been a pain in the as like 'Ed regis' in the original book was, but she was just an assistant that had to do babysitting and tried to do it correclty. She didnt annoy the kids or was anyway bad...

The gruesome death could have worked with any anonymous citizen...

But well, i suppose she is the Eddie Carr of this film...

I would have figured the Godzilla reference alone would have put TLW above JP/// for you.

I didn't like any of the characters in ///, not even Grant. I thought the CGI was rather poor as well. I remember being incredibly disappointed by the Dinos. I could not get into it. It's the first film I've ever seen that I've contemplated walking out of. I remember there was a scene where William H. Macy is talking about fishing and the only thing that kept my ass in the seat was a potential awesome Dino finale...which never occurred.

Jurassic World has an awesome Dino finale. Even if you hate the rest of the film, the final dino showdown is glorious. Makes up for the steaming pile that's JP3.

weaponise the raptors and to take them to war to hunt down terrorists etc. This isn't Jurassic Dark Thirty. What was that about?

Seems legit. ISIS wouldn't fuck with this:

Posted Image

Dino-Bots were awesome.

Just saw it for a second time, this time with my dad! Loved it as much as the first time. He also enjoyed it a lot, and he normally doesn't really like this kind of films.

Great audience too, the "I got a boyfriend" and "We want to go with him!" got really big laughs. It's been a long time since a JP has been intentionally funny and suceeded.

I just saw Jurassic World tonight in IMAX 3D. I actually wanted to stay and watch it again. I was really surprised at how well it turned out; it blows TLW and III out of the water (not that that was a difficult thing to do). Of course, some things irked me, particularly too many comic relief moments that were unnecessary, I think. I got goosebumps when the kids discovered the old visitor's center (why was it undiscovered anyway when Jurassic World was open for something like 10 years before the events of the film?) As others have pointed out, the weaponizing of the raptors was a little too unbelievable, but I guess there has to be a human antagonist. The fact that Dr. Henry Wu didn't get his comeuppance may hint at a possible (inevitable) sequel plotline?

Oh, and did anyone else spot the Jeff Goldblum/Ian Malcolm cameo?

In short: Good action, cool blend of CGI and animatronics, epic climax, and the score sounds much better with the film than on its own. A little bit predictable, but pretty good overall. Still can't beat the original though.

Just got out of the theater. The Lost World blows this one out of the water. This one is better than the third though, but not by a lot.

If that is how you feel, then you are entitled to that opinion.

I personally feel that TLW was a betrayal of Crichton's work, especially given how he was persuaded to write the book by Spielberg, who then ignored about 60% of the content in it.

Yeah, TLW still had Spielberg's brillaint touch, most especially when it comes to action setup and execution. There is proper effective suspence building before hell breaks loose. Don't expect much of that in Jurassic World. It's pure CG on CG dino warfare, and it's alright, comparable with the action you see in III, but has nothing against TLW. Watching JW really makes you miss the animatronics. Not to mention Williams' kickass score for TLW.

Williams' score from the first is used quite a bit in the beginning, but unlike the actual journey to the island in the first movie where you felt a palpable sense of awe, here the music evokes the sense of wonderment without the images replicating anything near the sort. The images don't deserve his score.

Yeah, TLW still had Spielberg's brillaint touch, most especially when it comes to action setup and execution. There is proper effective suspence building before hell breaks loose. Don't expect much of that in Jurassic World. It's pure CG on CG dino warfare, and it's alright

That's off-putting.

It's like the action in Avengers 2. Hollow. And since there's nothing much beyond action in JW, TLW blows it out of the water.

Yeah, TLW still had Spielberg's brillaint touch, most especially when it comes to action setup and execution. There is proper effective suspence building before hell breaks loose. Don't expect much of that in Jurassic World. It's pure CG on CG dino warfare, and it's alright

That's off-putting.

I'm afraid that was my reaction. It's the most violent of the JP films by far, but it didn't really engage or thrill me. Actually, it left a somewhat nasty aftertaste at times. I never got that from the previous series entries, which I all enjoyed to varying degrees.

I actually rather enjoyed the scene where Claire's assistant got snatched by a pterodactyl, tossed around a few times like a rag doll and then got eaten whole by the Shamu-saurus!

That's quite Spielbergian in its exhilarating nastiness, like the goat in JP or the Gennero being eating while sitting on the toilet.

I saw it today, and thought it was pretty decent. Enjoyable flick, and about on-par with the other sequels (and far below the first film). None of the action sequences come close to being as cool as JP or TLW.

I thought the intro to the two main characters--especially chris pratt--was really well done

It's like the action in Avengers 2. Hollow. And since there's nothing much beyond action in JW, TLW blows it out of the water.

Is it as overbearingly depressing and mean-spirited like TLW too?

For me, both The Lost World and Jurassic Park III were just boring. And I need to add that I was the target audience for those when they first came out.

Yes, Jurassic World is run of the mill film. But at least it knows it is.

Karol

The bottom line, what more on Earth can you possibly do with another Jurassic Park film that hasn't been done before? Other than the franchise mocking itself?

Karol

There was one point where they thought of introducing human/dinosaur hybrids in JP 4. Now they could do it JP 5!

You can't tell me a budding new director of summer movies would ever make their blockbuster debut in a knowingly "run-of-the-mill" fashion. What a convenient nonsense.

You can't tell me a budding new director of summer movies would ever make their blockbuster debut in a knowingly "run-of-the-mill" fashion. What a convenient nonsense.

Why not? Marvel does that all the time. It's convenient, it makes money, it's safe for the studio.

Karol