Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

10 hours ago, Ollie said:

Godzilla's first appearance reminded me of the T-Rex sequence in Jurassic Park. 

I love that it was basically framed and shot from the human perspective. Plus it was brutal. It puts the Godzillasaurus sequence from Godzilla vs King Ghidora to shame. 

Apparently Takasshi Yamasaki said he wishes it were that much.  https://x.com/14_kaiju/status/1733310495988609433?s=20 

Of course he handled the SFX thru his company so that probably kept a lot of the costs down instead of outsourcing it.

Does that mean he wishes it was that much, meaning it was less, or he wishes it was that much, meaning it was more than expected?

• 2 weeks later...

Minus One will have a new monochrome cut, but rather than simply making the theatrical version black and white, Yamazaki is re-editing the film to fit the monochrome format.

Source

Also, I saw Minus One on Monday, and it was a wild ride that left me buzzed after leaving the theatre. Easily my favourite Godzilla film to date, ousting Shin Godzilla from my personal top spot. I wish I could see it again (it leaves theatres here tonight and I didn't have the money to see it twice)

• 3 weeks later...

So it's the King of the Monsters and the King of the Apes vs the Spenglers (Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire releases the previous week).

I bet Mickey 17 gets written off like too many completed WB projects.

41 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

(Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire releases the following week).

You mean the previous week? The new Ghostbusters has a release date of March 22.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

You mean the previous week? The new Ghostbusters has a release date of March 22.

I did, I've rectified it.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Mind. Numbed.

By the way, can someone make my dreams come true by combining the Anthony Kiedis and GxK running memes?

image.gif

image.gif

28 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So this is the movie where we'll finally see Godzilla using kung fu against his enemies? :lol:

godzilla flying kick on Make a GIF

It really has that vibe.

It's interesting that the Legendary Monstervers began with a comparatively "dark and grounded" movie with the 2014 Godzilla but then became less grim and more "fun" as it went along.

Meanwhile, the Japanese movies went the opposite direction.

I imagine the next Legendary movie will take Zilla and Kong to space.

56 minutes ago, Romão said:

That looks like a huge pile of shit. After Godzilla Minus One, I don't think I can tolerate this level of silliness in a Godzilla movie, and that's saying something

Yeah, 'Minus One' has set the bar pretty high now for Hollywood...not just for Godzilla, but for genre movies in general.

Instead of brainless, effects-laden spectacle, we're going to start demanding for movies with some heart, that are made with care by people who love the franchise.

59 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I loved King of the Monsters and I liked the human characters in that. I didn't like a single person in GvK, including the returning characters from KotM.

And of course Monarch Legacy (was it really called Legacy of Monsters?) was ENTIRELY about characters.

'Minus One', to writer-director Takashi Yamazaki's credit, managed to make me feel emotionally invested and to really care about the fate of all the human characters.

But I think it's unique in that way—and it would be unrealistic to expect that from all monster movies going forward... I also think that even if Yamazaki himself did a sequel, he'd have trouble replicating the alchemy that made this one so compelling. But I hope he proves me wrong.

As for Hollywood, the best I can hope for is that they don't make the characters so annoying that I want to see Godzilla stumble and accidentally crush them.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I loved King of the Monsters and I liked the human characters in that. I didn't like a single person in GvK.

There was one for me.

This one looks more like later Showa than anything. 

it’s following the path of the original Godzilla series. As it progresses, it becomes more and more sillier.

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

it’s following the path of the original Godzilla series. As it progresses, it becomes more and more sillier.

This is true and leaves very little room for complaint.

Just now, Tallguy said:

This is true and leaves very little room for complaint.

There is always room for complaint ;)

An overview of Minus One's VFX

Knowing how low-budget this film was comparatively to Hollywood films, the VFX are definitely impressive.

On 15/02/2024 at 1:43 AM, Tallguy said:

I loved King of the Monsters and I liked the human characters in that. I didn't like a single person in GvK, including the returning characters from KotM.

I was fine with the human characters. They definitely were not the best-written characters, but I could see an attempt at growing them.

GvK undid that with those specific characters. I especially dislike what they did with Kyle Chandler's character. This is the guy who figured out how to track the ORCA, and you're telling me he can't figure out that 'hey, there's some weird accoustic signature that appears right before Godzilla attacks so maybe he's reacting to that'? And then to top it off, they added in a character linked to the previous set of characters in Shun Oguri's character Ren Serizawa - and refused to elaborate. He might as well have been someone totally unrelated.

And then we had Generic Tech Villain and His Evil Daughter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2024 at 2:38 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

Yeah, 'Minus One' has set the bar pretty high now for Hollywood...not just for Godzilla, but for genre movies in general.

Instead of brainless, effects-laden spectacle, we're going to start demanding for movies with some heart, that are made with care by people who love the franchise.

Speak for yourself, and don't refer to yourself as "we".

The Toho Godzilla films were always filled with silly, to one degree or another, for decades, and still done with heart and care.

Some of the most beloved Godzilla films are filled with trashy elements.

It's only recently that Western pseudo-arthouse fans want to claim Godzilla as their own.

For 60 years, Godzilla was a pop culture phenomenon because of "silly" movies, and until well into the 2000s, had such thought provoking films as Godzilla Tokyo SOS, or Godzilla vs Megaguirus or Godzilla Final Wars.

It wasn't until one - ONE - film, Shin Godzilla, that the American movie "connoisseur", induced by the 2014 movie, discovered Godzilla and said, with the humility that Americans are known for, "that's what Godzilla is and must be forever".

Stop conflating the tradition of lovable silliness in Godzilla films with idiotic Hollywood blockbusters.

Godzilla Minus One isn't the first and only Toho Godzilla film with a serious tone.

It seems really true that when Americans get a small slice of genuine culture, they're in awe like they just discovered Atlantis.

On 14/02/2024 at 3:19 PM, Tallguy said:

BTW, what happened to Charles Dance?

Got murdered by hiw own son while taking a dump ;)

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Got murdered by hiw own son while taking a dump ;)

Ah yes I remember that. Great episode of Thrones! Too bad they never made a Season 5.

6 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Speak for yourself, and don't refer to yourself as "we".

From what I've seen and heard around the web, the consensus is that Hollywood could take a few lessons from 'Minus One' on how to make an impactful movie that resonates with audiences—hence my bold use of "we". But I'll be happy to exclude you from that statement.

5 hours ago, Giftheck said:

The main theme for Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire

It's...a step towards the right direction, but I wouldn't even say it is good. I usually don't mind synths, but the retro ostinatos around 1:17 sounds kind of odd and took me out of the tune for second. The main theme is a bit too nondescriptive and none of the composition really gel together that well. Lastly, it is just too on the nose. I get it, they are huge creatures, but I don't need every note to remind me of that.

The album for GxK is being released this Friday, March 22. Here's the cover and tracklist:

image.png

1. Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (Main Title Theme) (2:50)

2. Threatening Survival (2:40)

3. Monarch Base – Red Dream (2:24)

4. He’s Arriving – Devastation (2:58)

5. Leaving Colosseum – New Dossier (2:30)

6. French Army (2:39)

7. Friendship (2:19)

8. New Entrances and Encounters (2:32)

9. Approaching the Lake (1:57)

10. Hollow Earth’s Nature (1:16)

11. IWI Findings (4:07)

12. Ancient Creatures (3:46)

13. Memories Resurface (2:43)

14. Myth and Ritual (2:47)

15. New Kingdom (2:39)

16. Desperate Escape (2:55)

17. Broken (2:14)

18. Tech Project Upgrade (2:57)

19. Divine and Glorious (2:49)

20. Egypt Fight (2:32)

21. Collapsing Gravity (5:39)

22. Frozen Rio (3:50)

23. You Are My Home (1:38)

Hmmmm I wonder to whom/what this track is referring to

EDIT: Yes, indeed, that is a track containing an obvious knock-off to that theme. I honestly wish I could say "I don't know why I expected different", but the truth is I didn't expect any different, and that's just plain sad. Was using that theme 'insincere' too, Wingard and Holkenborg?

I can’t believe I have warmed up to the first GvK score. Upon release I couldn’t believe how much I disliked it. So wanted a McCreary type of score. But now it doesn’t seem as horrible for some reason. Maybe because it’s all we got. Haven’t listen to the sequel score yet aside from the samples. It’s ok, like the first one.

It's really funny to see.

Some corners of the score community praise the first score while completely bashing the second.

And the other side is completely the other way around. 

I haven't listened to the 2nd one year, but I always kinda liked what Holkenborg did with the first score. Even though it was a biiiig step down from McCreary's score.

Which to me is one of the best scores this century.