Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

More I've heard Junkie XL defenders saying Bear McCreary 'just copied the old themes', which is really reductionist. Yes: he borrowed and updated both Godzilla's theme from the 1954 film, and Yuji Koseki's Mothra theme, but he also wrote a lot of new material that fits alongside these new interpretations of those themes. I can remember quite well the motifs he established for Monarch, Serizawa's goodbye, Bear's original King of the Monsters theme that both opens and closes out the film etc. Beyond the main two themes, I cannot recall one note of GvK's score.

42 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And as someone who likes GvK's score I am wondering why Holkenborg keeps saying that it was sooo hard to use the pre-existing themes. McCreary did it and I didn't hear him complain about it.

He can't take all of the blame. Wingard is on record as saying this:

Mirjahangir: So Akira Ifukube’s music was a big part of [Godzilla] King of Monsters but it’s not in this film it kind of alludes to it but then pulls away. I just want to know what the thought process behind that was.

Wingard: Yeah I mean. [Michael] Dougherty he did such a good job of really paying homage to that. I mean because that music is just like some of the most inspirational things to me when I was making this movie. I mean specifically the score for Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is my favorite of all the films. I mean that music in itself was a big turning point for me in terms of making me realize what is so great about these monster movies is that if you can empathize with them and you can really get to the emotion of it you can really transcend and then pull people and the key to it really is the music a lot of times. With that said, we went in a different direction with it because Mike Dougherty had already done it and for me… I just have to be honest with you… I liked how it worked in his movie but just speaking totally from a personal point of view in terms of the movie that I made I felt like it would be insincere for me to use that music because I associate that with the original Toho Godzilla series so much and the roots of that music really goes back to the beginning and the tragedy of it all and what the character represents in Japan and all those kind of things. I just felt like the MonsterVerse is different, he’s a different character. I mean like he is Godzilla still, but he’s the MonsterVerse Godzilla. So when we were developing the themes for it this was the sort of instinct is to kind of come up with a a new version of Godzilla, something that paid homage to the past but it was doing something new and different. I knew would be controversial on one hand because the original themes have been kind of revived but on the other hand I wanted this to stand on its own legs. I wanted to embrace the MonsterVerse version of the character.

Source

I should mention that the Godzilla fanfare first appeared in King Kong Vs. Godzilla, and the main theme never scored Godzilla itself until Terror of Mechagodzilla. Very tragic, indeed. By that very metric, wasn't Ifukube himself being 'insincere' for using it for the Showa Godzilla in the end, since Godzilla had effectively become a superhero at that point and not the original tragic allegory for nuclear weapons?

Welp, I guess it's not a leak any more now that a Chinese poster has confirmed it for certain.

Spoiler

Mothra returns.

Spoiler

image.jpeg

Also spoiled in the trailer (thumbnail doesn't spoil)

I wonder how much of this was a boost from Minus One, plus we never got a true sense of how much box office GvsK could have done because it was released during the Covid period.

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

I wonder how much of this was a boost from Minus One, plus we never got a true sense of how much box office GvsK could have done because it was released during the Covid period.

I think it is more that once in a while, people need some dumb fun. Dune: Part Two sort of satisfied the epic crave that people had, but not the dumb fun crave. I still don't think Ghostbusters have an audience beyond nostalgic fans. 

2 hours ago, Ollie said:

plus we never got a true sense of how much box office GvsK could have done because it was released during the Covid period.

One thing is for sure: if we are able to go to the movies today after the pandemic it's thanks to Godzilla vs Kong (plus some other factors, lol). Thanks to it making some decent numbers at the box office despite Covid and simultaneous release on HBO Max, it encouraged other studios to release their blockbusters in 2021, kickstarting the recovery and return to the movie theaters.

11 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I still don't think Ghostbusters have an audience beyond nostalgic fans. 

I haven't gotten to see the new Ghostbusters but I enjoyed the last one immensely.

Someone is going to have to convince me that the new GvK brings something that the last one didn't have. Because I hated that film. I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong about the new one. I like liking movies.

We’re going this weekend, Easter and the NCAA tourney took up my time this past weekend. 

I try too see all the Godzilla films on the big screen when possible. 

On 01/04/2024 at 12:02 AM, Ollie said:

You think the 80-million-weekend movie got a "boost" by the film that made 50 million in its entire run domestically, and 100 worldwide?

24 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

You think the 80-million-weekend movie got a "boost" by the film that made 50 million in its entire run domestically, and 100 worldwide?

You mean the Academy Award winning, highest-grossing OG Godzilla of all time? Nah

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The audience score has gone in one direction the entire time

King of the Monsters was absolute rubbish.

i don't even know if THEY KNOW what they want.

one of the worst films i've ever seen in a theater.  dodgy CGI hidden by storms, WAY TOO MANY HUMAN actors, absolute mess.

The ones with Kong are more deserving.

I really like KOTM. Far from the best film in the franchise for sure, but I like it.

Godzilla Vs. Kong by comparison had great fight scenes but a lousy score and suddenly we're forgiving of bad human characters. The KOTM holdovers were way, way worse than they were in KOTM! This was their chance to fix those issues, and Adam Wingard blew it.

Godzilla x Kong does make some pretty good improvements, but some of the issues from the previous film persist, like the lousy score. The human characters are hit-and-miss but at least the holdovers from GvK weren't made dumber than they were in their debut movie. I definitely prefer it over GvK.

Godzilla Minus One is IMO the best Godzilla film. And that's taking into consideration the original.

As for the worst film in the franchise... I'm gonna take flack for this, but fuck it: Godzilla Final Wars. The only Godzilla movie I can say I hate outright.

24 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Godzilla 2014 is the best Godzilla movie ever made (excluding the original)

Even taking into account the Japanese movies? Or just the American ones?

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

The audience score has gone in one direction the entire time

You're right! Audience reception grew with each movie, which I think it's very interesting. That said, GxK only had 500 ratings (compared to the tens of thousands) when this print was taken so it could go down once more people see the movie.

Critics, on the other hand, mostly enjoyed the 2014, Skull Island and GvK (the latter perhaps thanks to its status as "savior of the movie theaters" and "biggest post-pandemic blockbuster" than to its actual quality - I think it's a crappy movie) and didn't care for KOTM and GxK. Either way, a more consistent average than the DCEU... lol

25 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

one of the worst films i've ever seen in a theater.  dodgy CGI hidden by storms, WAY TOO MANY HUMAN actors, absolute mess.

Yeah, but at least the score is great. Really don't know why they didn't keep Bear in GvK and GxK. I would've liked to see what theme he would come up with for Kong.

I can get hating Godzilla 2014 and KotM to various degrees. Or loving both of them. I don't see how G14 and GvK are loved by the critics and KotM is hated.

Me? G14 was OK. And KotM was amazing.

28 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Even taking into account the Japanese movies? Or just the American ones?

both American and Japanese.

Godzilla 2014 struck a chord with me.

21 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

and KotM is hated.

the actors.  there was like a million.  and i didn't care for a single one of them.

These movies are enjoyable and frustrating to different degrees.

With G14 I appreciate that they were trying for a grim and realistic tone, but the constant cutting off the kaiju scenes that even became a meme on social media to cut to stupid human drama was more frustrating than tantalizing. I think they were trying to do a Jaws kinda thing, but Gareth Edwards is not Steven Spielberg. The score by Alexandre Desplat is amazing, an unusual but inspired choice of composer by Edwards.

Skull Island is beautifully shot, has great CGI and I like that the action is set in a tropical jungle during the Vietnam war instead of a metropolis during night time like most of the other movies, it gives a different vibe. The kaiju scenes were a bit frustrating though, particularly the final battle which could've been more memorable. Decent Henry Jackman score.

KOTM tried to go for the same dark & epic angle of the 2014, but the movie is way less smart than it thinks it is. Some beautiful shots though by Lawrence Sher, and surprisingly you can understand and see the action even though the battles are set at night. Great Bear McCreary score.

GvK is dumb fun, but way more dumb than fun lol. Awful characters and dialogue, serviceable action scenes and a bad score (I guess JXL was way more focused in Zack Snyder Justice League).

Haven't seen GxK yet, I'll wait for streaming. 

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

both American and Japanese.

Godzilla 2014 struck a chord with me.

the actors.  there was like a million.  and i didn't care for a single one of them.

I liked Brown in that one (but not in GvK) and I liked Whitford. Oh and Charles Dance is the best bad guy.

31 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I liked Brown in that one (but not in GvK) and I liked Whitford. Oh and Charles Dance is the best bad guy.

every time this guy opened his mouth....

image.png

33 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

These movies are enjoyable and frustrating to different degrees.

With G14 I appreciate that they were trying for a grim and realistic tone, but the constant cutting off the kaiju scenes that even became a meme on social media to cut to stupid human drama was more frustrating than tantalizing. I think they were trying to do a Jaws kinda thing, but Gareth Edwards is not Steven Spielberg. The score by Alexandre Desplat is amazing, an unusual but inspired choice of composer by Edwards.

i fully understand the frustration of the cutaways....but the battles felt so much more real and grounded when they were actually happening.

The way Edwards filmed them, gave it so much more reality.  And that's what I like about Godzilla in the first place.... is that it's a spawn of our own creation/reality, nukes.

the kiss of death at the end is the payoff to all the cutaways in my opinion.

I remember liking '14 well enough at the time, maybe just because it was a big improvement on the '98 attempt and its T-zilla. But I haven't felt a need to rewatch it since.

Saw KOTM once. Lots of bang for your buck, but again, no desire for a second viewing.

Enjoyed Skull Island. As Edmilson said, the visuals are stellar, and the Vietnam angle was different. Actually liked it enough to pick it up for $10 in a DVD bargain bin. lol

I enjoyed GvK for the novelty of seeing them collide for the first time since '62. As a fan of both since I was a wee one, it was a kind of event, and it didn't disappoint for me.

I don't know how I feel about them being a tag team/allies for this new one... I may catch it on 'Cheapie Tuesday.'

9 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

every time this guy opened his mouth....

image.png

Horrible character indeed with stupid Marvel-esque quips that were incredibly annoying. I was waiting the entire movie for Godzilla to eat him :lol:

10 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

The way Edwards filmed them, gave it so much more reality.  And that's what I like about Godzilla in the first place.... is that it's a spawn of our own creation/reality, nukes.

he kiss of death at the end is the payoff to all the cutaways in my opinion.

I agree that, when you can actually see Godzilla battling the MUTOs in San Francisco it's actually very exciting, especially when the big G uses his atomic breath to rip the MUTO's head off :w00t:

But Aaron Taylor Johnson's character is probably one of the blandest protagonists of a blockbuster movie in recent years. Tom Hiddleston was much more engaging and fun in K:SI.

Just now, Edmilson said:

I agree that, when you can actually see Godzilla battling the MUTOs in San Francisco it's actually very exciting, especially when the big G uses his atomic breath to rip the MUTO's head off :w00t:

But Aaron Taylor Johnson's character is probably one of the blandest protagonists of a blockbuster movie in recent years. Tom Hiddleston was much more engaging and fun in K:SI.

and you know what?  I still get hyped every time because I know Godzilla is gonna be limited on screen.

ok hot take,

i loved his character of Ford. 

He allows Cranston to shine (and i never minded Cranston's way too early death) because the movie is about Godzilla at that point, not Cranston.

Ford is the every day, generic guy, played to perfection.

And honestly, i think if Edwards chose a guy like Hiddleston, who i love....he would have felt obligated to give him more of a story or needless lines because it's a popular actor.  Ford was just along for the ride.

Saw the film today, basically it’s Kong’s Story but it was mindless Showa Style fun. The pace was good, just enough human interaction to catch your breath between the monster mayhem.

The music was a slight improvement, they used an orchestra as well this time.  But there moments where it sounded like cheesy 80’s synth. 

I don’t understand how they claim Godzilla’s original music wouldn’t work but then allow a lousy pastiche version to represent Godzilla and someone else. 

I'm disappointed that as the films progressed they moved away from the tone of the 2014 film and Skull Island too. 

I’d give this one 3 out of 5 stars. 

On 04/04/2024 at 1:57 AM, Tallguy said:

Listening to Desplat's G14. It's really good, isn't it?

Aside from a few good standalone monster cues, it's awful for a Godzilla movie.

The final cue when Godzilla walks back to the ocean is some of the worst, out of place kitsch I've ever heard.

I think G2014 and Skull Island are modern masterpieces and KOTM is rather close, while GvK is a terrible movie (even if beautiful)... so this time I clearly do not agree with the audience at all.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

I think G2014 and Skull Island are modern masterpieces and KOTM is rather close, while GvK is a terrible movie (even if beautiful)... so this time I clearly do not agree with the audience at all.

We reach. Although I found KotM far more enjoyable than G14, so flip those for me. Skull Island might be the best RIDE of all of the modern US monsterverse movies.

The one scene that I remember that grabbed me in GvK was the fight on the aircraft carrier. But it was SO amazing and visceral that I found it realllllly hard to watch. And that was just watching it on TV!

• 2 weeks later...