Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

23 hours ago, Jay said:

This page lists the 3D IMAX theaters first, then a separate section under it for 2D IMAX (though neither list is complete)

http://www.imax.com/news/star-wars-force-awakens-imax%C2%AE-tickets-sale-now

Here's the Philly IMAX in 2D:

https://tickets.fi.edu/WebStore/shop/ViewItems.aspx?CG=11&C=36

Oh, it seems Redditers here are cataloguing which IMAX screens in the world are showing it in 2D

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3papjh/imax_70mm_2d_theatre_list/

So I guess Washington DC is actually the closest one to me.

I'll buy you a drink ;)

It's funny. Online I see lots of people who watch the Prequels even though they hate them and get no satisfaction out of them they still watch them... and talk about them. Repeatedly. 

I don't think there are any movies that I saw 16 or 13 or 10 years that I hated which I still think about. Seems like a waste of energy. 

I'm far more annoyed about the fact that I have to watch that stupid Captain America: Civil War nonsense before TFA. Every. Single. Time. 

29 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It's funny. Online I see lots of people who watch the Prequels even though they hate them and get no satisfaction out of them they still watch them... and talk about them. Repeatedly. 

Indeed. 

I side with Lucas. Everyone is praising TFA and Abrams for basically ripping off the old movie and it's just baffling to me. Were you all that desperate to see Chewie and Stormtroopers again?

4 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I don't think there are any movies that I saw 16 or 13 or 10 years that I hated which I still think about. Seems like a waste of energy. 

I'm far more annoyed about the fact that I have to watch that stupid Captain America: Civil War nonsense before TFA. Every. Single. Time. 

Steef isn't very interested in other genres of movies so he has no choice.

23 minutes ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I side with Lucas. Everyone is praising TFA and Abrams for basically ripping off the old movie and it's just baffling to me. Were you all that desperate to see Chewie and Stormtroopers again?

I agree with both positive and negative reviews. Maybe that's all SW could ever be? An exciting nostalgia trip with little intellectual innovation?

Karol

I think that the framework/bones of TFA are similar to Star Wars movies that have come before, but the flesh is significantly different.  The characters, the emotional beats, the certain ways the characters and plots flow into one another.  I think it's reductive to say

Spoiler

"Lost droid with plans, alien bar, old guy dies, assault on a superweapon"

and write off an entire movie.

Abrams did some "weird" Star Wars things, too.  More time went into this than any of the previous Star Wars sequels (excepting maybe The Phantom Menace).  Things like

Spoiler

Kylo Ren's new Force techniques (freezing laser blasts, mindreading), Rey's fast-seeming Force journey

.  Little bits that were not quite "playing it safe" by the rules of the previous movies.

In the end, it's not revolutionary - and certainly that's by design. A comfortable inroad for audiences new and old to the future of Star Wars. We're going to be seeing some very different things in the next few years, including genre-ish movies interspersed with the "proper" Episodes.

You think TFA will be able to beat Avatar's record worldwide?

I'm not so sure. What Avatar had going for it was its novel use of 3D, which had people talking about it and going to see the film for months after the initial release. I'm just not sure the SW buzz will last as long.

Yes I think it will make over 2.7 billion worldwide.  It's already made 1.2billion in 16 days and it hasn't even opened in China yet

The Force Awaken will pass Jurassic World today to become the #3 film of all time domestically. It only needs 23.23 million give or take. It should make 25 or 26 million.

It WILL pass Titanic by tomorrow. I expect it to pass Avatar by January 11. I expect Star Wars to pass 800 million easily domestically. The big question is can it break the mythical 1 billion dollar mark in the US. I think it is very possible.

China boxoffice and Star Wars are unfamiliar with each other. Who knows how it will be received. But China isn't necessarily the key to great international boxoffice. 

The Force Awakens best friend is it's word of mouth. Word of mouth goes beyond any language barrier.

Still for TFA to pass Avatar world wide means it will have to earn significantly more internationally. Right now its close to 50/50 US/International. It needs to be around 30/70. Its an exciting race. 

Anyone here on Box Office Mojo facebook page? I've been on there for many years. I remember when I was the only one who said Avatar would beat Titanic. I kept showing the numbers and telling everyone it would destroy Titanic, but was constantly shot down and told I was an idiot and wrong. The day when it overtook Titanic was the sweetest "I told you so" moment in history. The reason I'm saying this is because I stuck a prediction on there before Force Awakens was released that it would beat Avatar domestically and I also predicted 1 billion domestic. I again was told I was wrong, though many have learnt that I'm not just making it up and I do enjoy doing the numbers (a sad hobby of mine) and I had been right on so many things for the past 7 years, so more people got on my side this time. And it is only 3 or 4 days from beating Avatar domestically now, so happy my prediction came true again. I'd like to thank my agent, my family, the wonderful director and of course God, who gave me strength to be right again and to rub it in the faces of the people who were strangely aggressive and hateful in their words of disagreement.

And just wait for release in China!

I see this is the last time a Star Wars film will get these numbers, though. With a movie a year, they'll loose the sense of "big event".