Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

1. STAR WARS

2. RETURN OF THE JEDI

3. EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

4. THE FORCE AWAKENS

5. THE PHANTOM MENACE

6. REVENGE OF THE SITH

7. ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

Nothing surprising there. I'm expecting most people to rank it in-between the two trilogies.

yes, although i'm negatively prejudiced about it, i'd expect it to be there too.

I'm still confused why Disney put a bad edit of ESB End Credits music under the Lucasfilm logo for the original six films' digital releases, yet has the logo play silently in TFA?

And why they didn't commission John Williams to write a new fanfare for the logo, which would lead nicely into the SW main titles (the same was the Fox Fanfare nicely does) and also be used on future non-Star Wars Lucasfilm movies?

I'm still confused why Disney put a bad edit of ESB End Credits music under the Lucasfilm logo for the original six films' digital releases, yet has the logo play silently in TFA?

And why they didn't commission John Williams to write a new fanfare for the logo, which would lead nicely into the SW main titles (the same was the Fox Fanfare nicely does) and also be used on future non-Star Wars Lucasfilm movies?

That's a good point. Maybe the rationale was to let the main titles be the "big opening", not preceded by another fanfare? (and let me just say the new 'main titles' recording is spectatular!).

maybe because those films had originally music there, so they substituted it with something else instead of completely deleting it.

but the new movie, hasn't got a previous version to be compared with.

There are some BIG moments in the film, but if I say anything about these moments being "sad" or "happy", you'll be able to deduce the outcome. So I won't.

You don't have to get into specifics and I'm not sure how to articulate this, but overall would you say you were satisfied with these, that they felt "right" for the film and the saga? Like, did they actually feel like powerful moments to you that can sit alongside the other films, or was it more of just recognizing they'll be huge spoilers but the filmmaking experience didn't hit you that hard? Even if the plot is somewhat of a rehash, I'm wondering if this will be a very necessary extension of the story with distinctive cinematic choices for the crucial moments, and not just a "Part 7, take it or leave it, you've seen this movie before".

And in general how did you think JW delivered on the drama? Would you say there are moments across the entire film where you felt really pleased with how the visuals and the music were coming together, or was it more limited to a select few standouts and the rest sort of washed over you?

You don't have to get into specifics and I'm not sure how to articulate this, but overall would you say you were satisfied with these, that they felt "right" for the film and the saga? Like, did they actually feel like powerful moments to you that can sit alongside the other films, or was it more of just recognizing they'll be huge spoilers but the filmmaking experience didn't hit you that hard? Even if the plot is somewhat of a rehash, I'm wondering if this will be a very necessary extension of the story with distinctive cinematic choices for the crucial moments, and not just a "Part 7, take it or leave it, you've seen this movie before".

Yes, the powerful moments here will stand alongside other powerful, iconic moments in the saga, although I'm not quite sure about the way they were conceptualized. For example, I wish they dwelled MORE on these moments, but it moves on pretty quickly afterwards. I think I need to see the film again to properly assess the "effectiveness" of these moments (especially one).

And in general how did you think JW delivered on the drama? Would you say there are moments across the entire film where you felt really pleased with how the visuals and the music were coming together, or was it more limited to a select few standouts and the rest sort of washed over you?

I'm afraid I veer a bit towards the latter point. Some GREAT, standout moments, musically, but on the whole a bit "over-wrought" and whimsical.

Thor, is this movie tonally more mature than past entries? I'm probably going to be taking my young children along, but it's a 12A certificate in the UK, which basically means a child under 12 is okay to go with dad if he thinks they'll be okay with it.

In the US, its rated PG13..... In the US, only Revenge of the Sith was rated PG13, with the other 5 films all being PG. So violence-wise, it would be more on the level of ROTS than the other 5.

Yes I think Anakin getting his nubs lobbed off is what pushed it from PG to PG13.

For TFA - Thor will hopefully still reply - but I'm assuming whatever causes Finn to have blood all over his helmet is what pushed it up to PG13

Yeah. And I still won't show Raiders to them because of Alfred Molina's spiky demise and Pat Roach's nasty propeller surprise. Crazy to think what Spielberg got away with back in the day. In a way though it was better back then precisely because such fleeting moments of realistic violence did make it through, I reckon. Now everything PG is so vanilla and weakling.

Thor, do you think a person who has never seen ANY of the Star Wars films (but knows obvious things like who Darth Vader is and etc. that are part of pop culture) watch this and understand essentially all they need to in order to enjoy the film? Basically, is this a fairly stand-alone film, or is it dependent on the other entries?

I think it's more 'mature' than the prequels, yes, even if REVENGE has some harrowing moments (granted, the worst off-screen, like Anakin killing the Jedi younglings). I wasn't aware that it had a PG13 in the States, but it has nothing to do with Finn's helmet blood. I think it rather has to do with some later scenes in the film that can be construed as disturbing for kids.

The maximum pleasure in this film is achieved if you have some sort of connection to the original films, but the references to the story between RETURN and AWAKENS isn't really explored much. So yes, I think it can be enjoyed as a stand-alone experience for younger generations -- even if it has a couple of ol' geezers running around.

Did it feel like the old cast was just kinda there without a compelling reason to have brought them back?

At first I thought so, but the more time we spent with them (especially Han), the more they settled in the role and the more we get the feeling that it's a natural, organic extention of where RETURN left off.

And who would have expected that LANDO CARLISSIAN would return?!?

Sorry, that was a joke.

Does the film make ANY references to the Prequel Trilogy at all?

It does mention the Sith briefly, in a passing comment. Did they also mention the Sith in the originals? Maybe a few other things that I've forgotten. I think I saw some creatures and stuff from the prequels, but I'm not sure.

You know what? I may be wrong about that - the word "Sith" may never have been uttered by a character in the Original Trilogy.

Still, we knew that Darth Vader was "A Dark Lord of the Sith" long before the Prequel Trilogy was conceived.

The maximum pleasure in this film is achieved if you have some sort of connection to the original films, but the references to the story between RETURN and AWAKENS isn't really explored much. So yes, I think it can be enjoyed as a stand-alone experience for younger generations -- even if it has a couple of ol' geezers running around.

Good to hear. My date hasn't seen any of the films (*sigh*), so I'm worried he won't get the "full" experience.

You know what? I may be wrong about that - the word "Sith" may never have been uttered by a character in the Original Trilogy.

Still, we knew that Darth Vader was "A Dark Lord of the Sith" long before the Prequel Trilogy was conceived.

Correct. Sith was not spoken in the original trilogy, but it was part of Darth Vader's full title in the novelization, comics, and on more merchandise you could possibly ever own.

2 hours and 30 minutes before the movie starts .... The kid is really looking forward to this movie. Personally I think it won't be anything I haven't seen before.

It won't.

Which comes to my point (I haven't seen the film of course yet):

Why a new Star wars film ( and new films in the future for that matter) was absolutely necessary except for the studio to make money?

The thematic material has been exhausted.

Why should this turn to a "daily soap opera" through the years?

Oh, I think Episode 8 could bring something new to the table, and the Rogue One movie seems pretty interesting and different.