Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

It's a much better delivery than anything else we've heard. I was getting worried because each new Han line we were getting his voice sounded really weak and shitty, like in Crystal Skull.

It doesn't spoil the plot, it's just a bunch of cool stuff

That's what happened with Superman Returns. There were fuck all surprises left by the time the movie came out, literally all the 'cool' stuff was in the trailers.

Not really. Methinks Lucas is being sarcastic and even dismissive - in that he considers Force Awakens to be "fine" and competent at playing it safe, made to order; as opposed to his PT which I'm sure he sincerely believes were "bold", "risky" and "misunderstood".

There's absolutely no chance in hell Lucas wants this movie to be spectacularly well received by the fans.

There's absolutely no chance in hell Lucas wants this movie to be spectacularly well received by the fans.

Since we're grasping at straws anyway, let me give you another option. Just for the sake of it.

Lucas sold his company for shitloads of money. He knew those new films will get made and he gave it all away willingly so that fans get what they want and he can do something better with his life. And he's doing just that: large amounts of his money are being spent philanthropic activities - education and other stuff like that. The way I see it, he's done more good because of his big move. And it's a class act. So I wouldn't see him as a loser in this situation. Disney will keep milking it, the same way Lucas' company did before them. We might love them, for a while at least. But it's the same exact situation, only it's now owned by a much bigger company. In a way, Lucas is doing much better stuff now (not to mention more rewarding) than Disney will ever be able to with his former property. So I see absolutely no reason for him to be bitter at all. And I don't think he cares, no matter how much media want us to believe that he does.

Karol

Lucas has given more interviews in the last couple of weeks than in the previous years. He clearly cares and he is clearly dissatisfied that this film is being implicitly marketed as the anti-prequel. also, just last week he again referred to ESB as the worst of the SW movies (you know, the one he was least involved with). The man has issues.

Lucas has given more interviews in the last couple of weeks than in the previous years. He clearly cares and he is clearly dissatisfied that this film is being implicitly marketed as the anti-prequel. also, just last week he again referred to ESB as the worst of the SW movies (you know, the one he was least involved with). The man has issues.

Rubbish. If he really thought that, he would have tinkered with it more. And, as we all know, that wasn't the case. He just says rubbish... because he can. Since media already made him into a monster on the scale of Pol Pot, he might as well go with it. Even as a joke.

Again, I think he doesn't give a shit.

Karol

I think Lucas gets too much shit from the SW crowd. I mean the guy is clearly ready to move on, and seems to be trying to do so. But the hate will always follow him.

Rubbish. If he really thought that, he would have tinkered with it more. And, as we all know, that wasn't the case. He just says rubbish... because he can. Since media already made him into a monster on the scale of Pol Pot, he might as well go with it. Even as a joke.

Again, I think he doesn't give a shit.

Karo

I think the prequel hate does bother him. It must, he does comment on it a lot and really, why wouldn't it? Those are three movies he put a lot into and tons of people pretty vocally think they're all terrible, plus the shit that people throw around about him can get pretty obscene. But for every random comment on the prequels he might happen to see online or wherever, I'm sure he gets plenty of people who tell him personally that their favorite character is Jar Jar or their favorite part was Yoda jumping around with his lightsaber. Especially little kids, so when you really put it in perspective and not just as like a condescending joke, that's probably gratifying and makes the criticism easy to forget. Much as I don't like those films, on a personal level I still hope he's able to ignore it.

And I would hope he is in fact hoping for The Force Awakens to succeed. He should be able to swallow his pride, it's his legacy after all.

At least George Lucas isn't telling us all to become vegetarians in addition to making bad movies, like James Cameron.

Avatar is far better than anything Lucas has done in the past 15 years or so.

Ha! Funny.

Avatar is technically better, but I find myself more able to watch the prequels, where despite (or maybe because) the terribly written characters, I don't want the whole cast to die and disappear. The second time I saw Avatar I was like ugh I don't like anybody in this movie. And the plot is so mundane that even if executed "correctly" it ends up automatically among the nonsensical-but-they-tried stories in the prequels, because zzz. It does have (obviously) a much more effective direction and better special effects, even if I don't understand why the entire jungle has to be CGI.