Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I think he's saying it could be the biggest film of all time, not that it is the greatest film of all time.

There's a video in the article and he literally does say "biggest," not "greatest." They asked him about Star Wars and he said while he never felt he should direct one, he always loved going to see them over and over. Then he says he thinks the new one could be the biggest movie ever.

That comment also comes on the heels of a discussion on blockbusters in general where he was talking about how they've always existed back to Ten Commandments, Gone With the Wind, and the silent era. So pretty sure he was just talking about that.

I agree, I don't think it even needs to be made public. Does anybody give a shit whether McDonald's sold more Big Macs or Chicken Nuggets? Does anybody care how many years in a row they beat Burger King?

I think it'll be above average. I figure it won't get any worse than like a C+ movie, but probably won't be top shelf stuff either. Setting my expectations somewhere in there, I can't bring myself to go in expecting a disaster.

Maybe he said it could be the greatest movie of all time because it has the best score of all time?

Seems to be he might have been talking about it being "the biggest hit".

Karol

Predicting that TFA could be the highest grossing pic ever is not exactly provocative or insightful. Obviously it stands a decent chance and 99% of the movie-going/making population know this. I saw this quoted on Yahoo as well. I don't understand why it is news.

When did samples go online for other recent Disney OSTs?

Frozen... Big Hero Six... Cinderella, Tomorrowland...Maleficent?

Did Tomorrowland even get samples? I feel like there was almost nothing for that until the whole thing was on Spotify the day of release. But maybe I missed them.

15 days was the magic number for Cinderella and Maleficent. So I guess we can keep an eye out Thursday ;)

For sure, I wouldn't say it's a guarantee or anything, this will probably be treated entirely differently. But I just found it interesting that theirs came out at such a precise time lol, even if it's just coincidence. You never know...

But yeah, does anybody remember if there were Tomorrowland samples at all?

But really, who cares if the movie makes a shitload of money or not? Never quite understood this fascination with box-office results.

I'm more interested in the quality of the film than in how much money it'll make.

Well it matters a lot because it indicates how well audiences respond to a film and studios make decisions on sequels based on the film's revenue.

This might not be a problem for Star Wars, but I was nervous about Godzilla last year because I wanted more movies, but I wasn't sure the movie would perform well. Although the film made an impressive $90-odd million on opening weekend, it limped its way to $200 million for the rest of its theatrical run. But apparently that was just enough for the studio to decide to invest in not just one new film, but a whole franchise!

But I think if it made any less than that, Warner/Legendary would have junked it.

I think we'll see other studios sitting on iconic beloved franchises start to make sequels that don't suck. We won't be getting anymore shitty Terminator sequels, for instance. They'll be directed by fucking James Cameron. They'll all be well-made and target the hardcore fanboys but also have crossover mass appeal.

But would it have been continued from the Edwards film or would they reboot it from scratch? Superman Returns supposedly underperformed financially, so they rebooted it years later with a film that was completely unrelated.

Another example is Pacific Rim, which underperformed in North America but did okay internationally. Although there's talk of a sequel, they're being a bit vague and dubious over whether it's actually happening.

Box office revenue has a huge impact on the future of a franchise of films, particularly how much money the studio decides to allocate a sequel to its budget. That's why people follow it and scrutinise it. I still get a bit nervous that the new King Kong and Godzilla films will make even less than the 2014 film following all that criticism that the title character was barely in it and consequently the studio will respond by cancelling any future films after that.

Another example is Pacific Rim, which underperformed in North America but did okay internationally. Although there's talk of a sequel, they're being a bit vague and dubious over whether it's actually happening.

Hopefully it won't. That movie was dull as shit, especially by Del Toro's standards.

The best part is right at the beginning when Maul uses the force to open some doors, it's the only time we get any sense that our heroes might be in danger.

That doors opening part, with the music, is the best moment in the film and it stands out as being exciting for a few seconds among the entire rest of the film.

What did they do about her mush mouth?

Nothing could be done E.T. and Elliot. I am sorry. You just have to bear it if and when you see this film.

What did they do about her mush mouth?

Nothing could be done E.T. and Elliot. I am sorry.

CG mouth!

Abrams will achieve it with practical effects!