Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Avatar is made for pretentious vegans trying to reduce their carbon footprint and shame the rest of the Earth's population like James Cameron.

I hate that movie. I hate its rusted on fanatics. And I want Aliens Cameron back!

There's absolutely no chance in hell Lucas wants this movie to be spectacularly well received by the fans.

Since we're grasping at straws anyway, let me give you another option. Just for the sake of it.

Lucas sold his company for shitloads of money. He knew those new films will get made and he gave it all away willingly so that fans get what they want and he can do something better with his life. And he's doing just that: large amounts of his money are being spent philanthropic activities - education and other stuff like that. The way I see it, he's done more good because of his big move. And it's a class act. So I wouldn't see him as a loser in this situation. Disney will keep milking it, the same way Lucas' company did before them. We might love them, for a while at least. But it's the same exact situation, only it's now owned by a much bigger company. In a way, Lucas is doing much better stuff now (not to mention more rewarding) than Disney will ever be able to with his former property. So I see absolutely no reason for him to be bitter at all. And I don't think he cares, no matter how much media want us to believe that he does.

Karol

Not really. Every time I've seen or read Lucas speak his bitterness is very, very clear. He ALWAYS expresses frustration with the Star Wars fans. It was so difficult for him in fact that even Spielberg has mentioned it in interviews.

If anything, his flat out refusal to re-release the original trilogy, even as companion pieces, has demonstrated his contempt for the hardcore fanbase. Even going so far as to lie about their destruction.

More from Abrams on watching Ford/Kurosawa/Malick to prepare for Force Awakens.

Instead of just watching Star Wars movies for this, I also went back and watched some of my favorite films. Obviously Seven Samurai, some of the John Ford films, because I knew those were also influences that George had.

The fact is watching any inspiring storyteller or filmmaker, watching Terrence Malick movies, who is not a director you would normally think to go to for a Star Wars movie...and yet I don't know of a more profound and emotional filmmaker than Malick. Those kinds of things were always just sort of inspiration. It sounds very pretentious to say "Oh I'm inspired by this person, that person." It's more about seeing things that you can aspire to and where appropriate apply lessons that you're learning from them.

There were many scenes where I might have typically wanted to rush the camera around or cut more frequently, but in trying to grow a little bit and in trying to tell the most powerful story possible, you learn lessons in restraint, you learn lessons in stillness, you learn lessons in confidence and trust in your characters and the audience. So I found myself working to not just keep things moving as fast as I possibly could, which sometimes has been my default, but rather to keep things as still as I possibly could and let things breathe as a balance to the action - of which there is much - in the movie.

I'm enjoying his self-awareness. There was another anecdote somewhere where he talked about Kasdan sometimes catching him during writing playing down to the audience, over-explaining something that could be inferred another way. Seems like he really is giving this thing his best shot. I'm not expecting him to suddenly become this brilliant virtuoso, but I would like to see this movie find a nice balance away from the nervous, hyperactive energy of his other movies. A more cool, confident sense of style and pacing would be great. I think Williams can affect some of that too.

Lost had that deliberate pacing and sense of space in spades - some said too much and found it a drag, but it is the anti-thesis of that 'nervous hyperactivity' we see in his action films. Abrams directed the pilots and executive produced the rest; I think he is confident about a more reflective style when he wants to be. Some of our favourite trailer shots imply TFA could exhibit this.

As for Lucas, his concept of Star Wars is very different to most fans' (and non-fans') idea of Star Wars. He envisaged a Tolkien-esque universe of complexity, mythos and obscure language and, as many now know, it was his team that rounded it out to create the successful franchise. It's no wonder him and fans don't see eye to eye. I've always said, judging by his unbridled vision put forth in the prequels, his attitude to Star Wars is the same as an 8-year-old boy's. In a toy shop.

Avatar is made for pretentious vegans trying to reduce their carbon footprint and shame the rest of the Earth's population like James Cameron.

Avatar was made a for a wider audience than that! The film's weaknesses have squat to do with James Cameron's opinions on sustainability. He's not trying to shame Earth's population, but calling (in whatever way) for a change in the over-consumptive and destructive habits of our global civilization (which accounts for only some of Earth's humans - mostly, it has to be said, North Americans, but definitely Europeans and Australians too). Veganism, in parts of the world where factory farming is practiced, goes a long way towards doing that; whether you find vegans pretentious, or your perception of their diets uninspiring, has little to do with those facts.

Anyway, the saddest irony about Avatar's 'philosophy' is that the audience leaves the film glowing with a sense of satisfaction because, in the film, we have sided with the natives and the natives have won. Then we carry on with our lives in which we benefit very much from the destructive and immoral plunderers, raping some far-off land for our benefit. Plus, the massive amount of computer-dependent production has created further demand for the precious metals within all those computers and tech, ripped out of places we don't hear about.

Cameron would have been braver to end the film with the annihilation of the natives. A braver move still would be to end the trilogy in that way, but the suits would never have it, and even if he could fund that depressing and very accurate finale himself, I don't believe he would have the guts.

I read i believe it was Forbes saying The Force Awakens is opening in 3,900 theaters. Does this worry anyone? i thought it would at least have 4,200-4,300 theaters.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

Cameron would have been braver to end the film with the annihilation of the natives. A braver move still would be to end the trilogy in that way, but the suits would never have it, and even if he could fund that depressing and very accurate finale himself, I don't believe he would have the guts.

Also making the natives not an entire Mary Sue race made up of Disney looking folk.

Yup, that's the embargo we had to sign. Still, it's just a polite request. The embargo for the upcoming POINT BREAK 3D is much worse, basically demanding spoiler-free reviews. This is more problematic because it interferes with the contents of the review. Many of my Norwegian colleagues are boycotting the film for that reason.

The craziest thing with the STAR WARS screening isn't the embargo document, though, but that we have to leave our cell phones at the door (pathetic, really, since the film has several early screenings just a few hours later) and that we have to go through a friggin' metal detector!

I'm thinking the metal detector has more to do with recent events than the embargo.

Could be. But I've never experienced anything like it, and doubt I will experience it again -- untill the next STAR WARS movie comes out.

Review embargoes mean absolutely nothing in regards to multimillion dollar marketing campaigns these days and are par for the course. In the final days before a big release, corporate ramp up their well oiled marketing machine to End Game mode and strive to orchestrate the hype to fever pitch levels. An embargo is now just an obvious element of the hype and the final tool of control in their repertoire. Really, you should expect an embargo rather than feign surprise at one.

Embargos have existed forever (especially for early press screenings). No problem there. It's just the INSANE security measures for this particular film otherwise, which is certainly a first for me (even the LOTR films were peanuts in comparison).