Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

What time do they actually start the film?

I think I read that it's scheduled to start at 5:30 Pacific time. (EDIT: Well, I just realized it's pretty far past that time, so evidently it did not start then.)

I think it's because she was wearing a Resistance outfit and had Luke's lightsaber.

Yeah so? Just about everyone uses one of those at some point in a SW film. It's like going hysterical because I found out that James Bond uses a PPK in the next movie.

Since I despise the moviegoing experience, any seat would be a crap seat for me.

Shame Silverspot Cinema isn't in California. I work there and it's a helluva lot better than larger chains like AMC, Regal, or Carmike. Comfy leather seats, reserved seating, nice atmosphere and the prices keep away the riffraff. You would enjoy going there.

Our theater did some local publicity, Star Wars style.

i'm reading here and there reactions about the movie and how awesome it was.

But then again, the same exact reactions were after Phantom Menace.

I guess a couple of years should pass before the film itself will be seen through a more objective perspective.

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Has Best Picture Potential (Analysis) - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscars-star-wars-force-awakens-848906

THR's awards analyst argues J.J. Abrams' film could become the franchise's first installment since the original to land above-the-line noms. (Spoiler free.) Seeing any movie at its premiere — complete with a red carpet, stars, food and booze — has a way of making that movie seem extra special. And seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens at its world premiere on Monday night — the biggest Hollywood premiere in the 21st century — undoubtedly boosted the way I and others felt about it. Even accounting for inflation, though, I still think the movie turned out as well as anyone reasonably could have hoped, and could be a player in an Oscar race that already was shaping up to be pretty unconventional before this latest twist. (See Mad Max: Fury Road, Creed, etc.) Why? Because people inside and outside of the industry really want to love The Force Awakens — that's why anticipation has been so great that tracking suggests it could set a new record for opening weekend and achieve an enormous box-office gross. J.J. Abrams, in essentially rebooting Star Wars following three disappointing installments around the turn of the century, takes the franchise back to its roots in story, look and feel. The three original stars — Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill — all are in tow, along with a host of talented up-and-comers like Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Lupita Nyong'o and Daisy Ridley.

Do you remember how the first Star Wars, released in 1977, went over with the Academy, a group that famously is averse to genre pics? It not only won for its art direction, costume design, film editing, score, sound and visual effects, but it also was nominated in four above-the-line categories: picture, director, original screenplay and supporting actor. (Subsequent installments were limited entirely to below-the-line noms.) READ MORE Inside the 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' World Premiere and Party Admittedly, the first Star Wars and the new one appeal in very different ways. The first was special because it was so unlike anything that had preceded it, while the current film is special because it evokes the original. But I think The Force Awakens could resonate with the Academy, too, seeing how much that organization loves an ambitious, well-made mega-hit (see: Titanic's best picture win and Avatar's best picture nom), and keeping in mind that there now can be five to 10 best picture nominees, rather than just five, as was the case in 1977. Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if Abrams scores a best director nom. Indeed, much of the praise for the film after the premiere was reserved for him, and thanks to vocal champions like Steven Spielberg and Ava DuVernay, I could see enough members of the directors branch getting behind him to land him in the race. It's a year with a lot of movies that many people like, but not a lot of movies that many people love, and the passion that Academy members feel for a film or the people associated with it — as reflected on a preferential ballot — really matters.

We'll have to wait and see how the film goes over once more people get a chance to watch it. But for now, as I mull over my own thoughts and conversations from the premiere of The Force Awakens and read tweets from Academy members to the effect that it "might be the best blockbuster since the original... delivers on every level" (doc branch member Brett Morgen) and that it "totally delivers... just wow" (acting branch member Elizabeth Banks) and "Great. Nothing more to say. Just go." (short films and feature animation branch member Andrew Stanton) and that it's "a movie that DELIVERS... cried like a baby, whooped like a teen" (acting branch member Rob Lowe), I think the film stands a great shot of firing up a lot of people.

Just wanted to remind everyone to PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD FREE OF SPOILERS now that people are seeing the film and discussing it online.

I want people to still be able to visit JWFan and read this thread and not get spoiled.

General info, new commercials, information about the logos / music, general spoiler-free comments, etc are still welcome right here.

But if you'd like the discuss the film openly, I've created a spinoff thread to contain that discussion

The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Thanks!

OK, I'm back from the film.

These are my SPOILER-FREE remarks (in fact, I don't even want to post in the other spoiler thread, I think -- who wants to read stuff like that anyway if they haven't seen it? Plus -- I'm embargoed untill tomorrow!):

First of all, the film is VERY "old school". J. J. delivers totally on that, as he promised. Yes, there is CGI (a couple of CGI moments and creatures stick out a bit, in a negative way), but it doesn't detract from the overall impression.

Although you could argue that the core story is basically a variation on the original NEW HOPE story (I won't say anything else), everything about the universe is as physical and present as in the original trilogy. I buy ALL the locations, and most of the locations are a natural, 30-year extension of the originals.

Following the adventures with our original heroes is great, but I was actually surprised by how much I engaged with the new characters, especially Rey.

Action setpieces were spectacular (as expected), the down-tempo stuff was usually engrossing, the photography wonderful, BB-8 was as cute and endeaering as the trailers suggest.

There are some BIG moments in the film, but if I say anything about these moments being "sad" or "happy", you'll be able to deduce the outcome. So I won't.

I think that's about as much as I can say. I'll post some comments on the music in the "score reactions" thread.

Does the film open with the normal Disney castle logo? What music plays under that if so?

What music plays under the Lucasfilm logo?

No Disney logo. It starts with "Lucasfilm", and no music. It's basically the same as the original films. Yes, I obviously did stay through the end credits, and it was a great experience -- the only opportunity to hear the themes alone. A lot of it was of the motivic, rhytmic kind, but I loved Rey's theme, and it had some cool arrangements of the original themes.

Although I like the prequels more than most people, I rank this film HIGH above those. The music compared to the prequels? Not sure yet. I need to listen to the album.

filmmusic, why in the world would you possible expect there to be a Fox logo on this film?

i don't know.. out of respect to the historic musical aspect of the original films? :P

i can't imagine a real star wars film opening without that.

The impact of the main titles music would be less as I imagine.

No Disney logo. It starts with "Lucasfilm", and no music.

Yeah, I expected this. Was hoping maybe he'd written a new fanfare, though.

How did you like the beginning of the film, especially the introduction of the new characters? Did you feel like it took its time to establish their personalities and get the right "Star Warsy" atmosphere?

And I won't ask about Luke, but how are Harrison Ford and especially Carrie Fisher?

Gad you enjoyed the film, Thor. :D

How did you like the beginning of the film, especially the introduction of the new characters? Did you feel like it took its time to establish their personalities and get the right "Star Warsy" atmosphere?

I was hooked immediately! Great, classic introduction, and plenty of time to "get to know" the new characters.

And I won't ask about Luke, but how are Harrison Ford and especially Carrie Fisher?

Ford was amazing. He was right back in his role, with the slightly nervous and disgruntled personality. Fisher had less screen time, but delivered as a more calm and reflected version of her younger self.

There are some BIG moments in the film,

i guess i won't get away with not reading any spoilers then, since i'll see the film in 2 weeks!

Yes, I don't think there's any way you'll avoid the "buzz" for these big moments, unless you stay totally away from threads like these -- and similar ones.

There are some BIG moments in the film,

i guess i won't get away with not reading any spoilers then, since i'll see the film in 2 weeks!

Yes, I don't think there's any way you'll avoid the "buzz" for these big moments, unless you stay totally away from threads like these -- and similar ones.

i don't expect to see spoilers in forums (i think fans know better ) but i do expect them in facebook comments!

I think this comment I saw on FSM is very telling: "it remakes the original trilogy in one film". That alone tells me Episode 8 will be much more unique, and Episode 7 on purpose is a total nostalgia trip.

Luckily, it seems to me they've found great new actors to carry on new stories with.

How do you think this film compares to JJ's Star Trek films?

I'm not a big STAR TREK fan (although I did enjoy elements in the new films). So hard for me to make an unbiased comparison.

In either case, I vastly prefer TFA. Some of J.J.'s elements are present here and there -- a few examples of lens flare, but not as much as we feared. Also a couple of the "shock zooms" in action sequences.

Hey, what trailers were attached to your print of the film?

None, as this was a press screening. Wasn't this revealed a while back, though (on a box containing the digital film print)?

and your ranking in the total 7 star wars films output?

1. STAR WARS

2. RETURN OF THE JEDI

3. EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

4. THE FORCE AWAKENS

5. THE PHANTOM MENACE

6. REVENGE OF THE SITH

7. ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

Every theater could show different trailers, hence why I was specifically asking about your screening.

I didn't realize press screenings showed no trailers at all!

1. STAR WARS

2. RETURN OF THE JEDI

3. EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

4. THE FORCE AWAKENS

5. THE PHANTOM MENACE

6. REVENGE OF THE SITH

7. ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

Nothing surprising there. I'm expecting most people to rank it in-between the two trilogies.