Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

What did they do about her mush mouth?

Nothing could be done E.T. and Elliot. I am sorry.

CG mouth!

Abrams will achieve it with practical effects!

They're doing the mouth replacement thing that Conan does.

Too many modern films are needlessly long. The Lucas and Spielberg films from the 70s and 80s were known for their flawless pacing. The movies were all around 2 hours but seemed to be over before you knew it.

Too many modern films are needlessly long.

Agreed. I swear a lot of these Superhero movies could be cut down to 45 minutes without losing anything important.

Did Tomorrowland even get samples? I feel like there was almost nothing for that until the whole thing was on Spotify the day of release. But maybe I missed them.

15 days was the magic number for Cinderella and Maleficent. So I guess we can keep an eye out Thursday ;)

So... Samples tomorrow?

An hour fifty should be the target for all popcorn movies.

Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill both had to diet and workout for their roles; there is a basic expectation from the fans for Leia and Luke to resemble their younger heroic selves, and that means not being obese, as it should do.

She was a little too heavy to be believable as Leia at the weight she was at a few years ago. I wouldn't expect her to be thin, though. As long as it was to get her down to a more average weight for a woman that age which it seems like she did. I see no issue with that pic of her but who knows if 35 was more than necessary when they can hide things with lighting, makeup, wardrobe. And it is often ridiculous what is considered "fat" or "old" in Hollywood.

:(

Honestly I'd just be happy with an official, confirmed tracklist.

Every single review will mention and slate the PT too. Just because. Not that I bother with reviews anymore. Heck, I'll have seen the film numerous times before they can print them anyway.n

Is this new?

12274526_10205000592760741_6471446720341

I think so.

By the way, it comes from this lengthy Rolling Stone article which is a pretty fantastic, very candid read (though there is some needless speculation on the writer's part about character deaths/lineage, and vague but potentially spoilery descriptions of Abrams editing the film's finale). Nothing on the music.

Some excerpts (non-spoilery):

In a shiny-new screening room, J.J. Abrams is addressing his T-shirted, somewhat dorky-looking troops. There are fewer than 60 days left before the release of The Force Awakens and the movie is not quite done. The night before, advance tickets went on sale, just as the first full trailer appeared online. "We broke the Internet last night," Abrams says, to applause. (He's barely exaggerating: Demand for tickets took down Fandango.) "We all know, intellectually, that people will be seeing this thing, but it was a weird moment of, like, 'Holy fuck, it was here, and now it's for everyone!'"

This movie we've been working on for the better part of three years is coming out in the lesser part of two months," Abrams tells them. "And in this final sprint, I just want to say that every little choice, every little detail, every little decision, whether it's something being animated or textured or whatever, all these little things are massively, hugely, crazily important. Don't ever think that extra thing you give to it won't matter."

Lucas had written what Kennedy describes as a "brief synopsis" for the sequels, but those ideas were treated as a starting point, at best. Abrams spent eight months or so working on a script with screenwriter Michael Arndt (of Little Miss Sunshine fame), with occasional help from Kasdan and Simon Kinberg (of the X-Men franchise). They came away with essentially nothing. Arndt said he would need 18 more months to finish – way more time than Disney or Abrams wanted to spend. "Movies are just like life," says Kasdan, sounding very much like the dude who wrote Yoda's best lines. "They are infinitely complicated and incredibly simple. I think that what had eluded the group was finding the simple spine of the story."

Arndt was out; Kasdan was in. His initial involvement in the saga began under similar circumstances, when a deadline-haunted George Lucas asked him to rapidly rework a weak Empire Strikes Back script. This time, Kasdan and Abrams had nine months to write one of the most anticipated movies of all time. "You say, 'Are you a professional or not?'" says Kasdan. For Abrams, having Kasdan aboard removed the possibility of writing "fan fiction": "I didn't have to ask the question 'What would they have done?' Because he was there."

The experience is more intense for Ridley, who previously had only a few British TV and short film roles. When Abrams told her she had won the part of Rey, her reaction was subdued. "That made me feel better," says Abrams. "Because it wasn't a giddy 22-year-old thrilled to get a starring role. It was someone who understood what it meant to take this on, who realized this was gonna be just as much of a journey for her as it was for the character. We knew whoever played this part needed to be funny, tough, physically capable – but able to break down and be terrified. Literally able to do everything but sing."

While the others plunge on with their careers, Ridley is planning to study psychology at university, a break she hopes will help keep her grounded in the face of sudden intergalactic fame. "I think I'll be OK," she says. She goes silent, then repeats herself. "I don't know. I think I'll be OK!"

Hamill has been chastised by Disney at least once lately. He told a reporter that fans who expect The Force Awakens to be "the Second Coming" would inevitably be let down, resulting in the headline "Mark Hamill says Star Wars fanboys are 'bound to be disappointed.'" "That got me a phone call from the powers that be," he says, laughing.

He also told a Comic-Con audience something it didn't want to hear. "The phrase that I used in front of, like, 5,000 Star Wars fans pumped to the gills, ready to see the trailer, was 'It's only a movie,'" he says, cackling now. "It's unfortunate because I heard it from George first, OK, on the set! I was trying to appeal to the rational, sane people who know movies don't really change your life, and if you really think we can make you feel like you're 10 years old at 38, you know what's gonna happen. So just don't think that and you'll be fine!"

His first reaction to Lucas' news, delivered at a lunch during a Star Wars convention, was to enter a "state of shock." He realized he had mixed feelings. "We're all in a great place and we've all done it before," he says. "There was a beginning, middle and end. You have to think about all the aspects, 'cause if you wanna maintain a low profile, this isn't the best way to do it!" He found himself hoping that Ford wouldn't do it. "I said, 'The ace in the hole is, Harrison's not gonna do this. Why would he?' So that's our escape clause. You know, if I'm the only one, I'll look terrible – but if he doesn't do it, I don't have to do it."

On set, it was different. When Hamill walked onto the Millennium Falcon – and he emphasizes that he did this as himself, not as Luke – he was overwhelmed. "It was opening up all these little windows in your memory banks," he says. "How it felt to be sitting in it or just the smell of it all or where Chewie was playing chess. So you laugh a lot. I mean, you just can't believe that this is happening. It just doesn't seem real."

I started reading it and then this happened:

Could Abrams recapture the magic that Lucas himself summoned only intermittently in his three digitized prequels, in between council-meeting scenes and wretched dialogue ("I don't like sand")?

Could Abrams recapture the magic that Lucas himself summoned only intermittently in his three digitized prequels, in between council-meeting scenes and wretched dialogue ("I don't like sand")?

When similar comments are made about KOTCS when Indy 5 is released, will you suddenly start liking that movie too?

It looks pretty "digitized" from what I've seen in the trailers, whatever the hell that means. There are certainly real sets and props, but no more than they had in The Phantom Menace. The "real sets and practical effects" shtick is totally overblown. They said the same thing about, you guessed it, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and that movie looked phony and CGI as fuck.

About 'digitized', If this film has less CGI and more props than TPM i will be surprised.

The film is going to look like TPM but with the advantage of 16+ years of CGI development.

They keep pushing the practical element of this film but it's very easy to build giant sets like a Star Destroyer hangar when you know you can leave it in Pinewood studios and use it again for Rogue One and Episode VIII. That is not a luxury Lucas had with the Prequels, he'd have built a partial set and extended it with green screen. As would any modern film because a set of that size would cost too much build... unless you could use it for more than one movie!

Why was the Falcon built? Because they can use it in VIII, and IX and also for the Han Solo movie!

The dropship the Stormtroopers use in TFA has been repainted so they can use it in Rogue One.

When similar comments are made about KOTCS when Indy 5 is released, will you suddenly start liking that movie too?

User E.T. and Elliot is easily the biggest not-so-stealthy Star Wars/Lucas and feigned Force Awakens indifference fanboy on the board. We all know it, just leave him to get on with it ;)

User E.T. and Elliot is easily the biggest not-so-stealthy Star Wars/Lucas and feigned Force Awakens indifference fanboy on the board. We all know it, just leave him to get on with it ;)

Since you seem to know so much about me, you must be aware I am programmed to evolve. To better myself.

The dropship the Stormtroopers use in TFA has been repainted so they can use it in Rogue One.

Really?

A 30+ years ABY ship used -1/0 years ABY?????

Madness.

You want practical effects, there's got to be a catch.

Since you seem to know so much about me, you must be aware I am programmed to evolve. To better myself.

TheGreatEye sees all!

I'm disappointed that Ridley doesn't have to sing.

Abrams is lying, as he did when he said that no more trailers would be released. She will sing in the Cellar Song, for sure.