Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Anyway, what would the real Han Solo say? Well, maybe he would think it, almost pronounce the line, but then he would see Chewie's joy and therefore he would reduce the moment by saying something cynical like: "It's just a ship, Chewie, don't get everything wet." (but the audience knows that deep down Han is exited too)

That's what made Han Solo interesting, folks, and not this self-aware mushy around business.

Alexandre

I actually agree.

But TFA Han is perfectly in tune with ROTJ Han. SW and ESB Han? Nah...

SW Han is much different from ESB Han too.

In SW he''s a real jerk and you don;t care about him until the end

SW Han is much different from ESB Han too.

In SW he''s a real jerk and you don;t care about him until the end

In TESB, Han Solo says, "I know". In ROTJ, he would have said, "I love you too". The point is that he no longer is interesting as a character for me. Han was there to provide Star Wars with a counterweight and not to be uniformly good like Luke Skywalker. People are not that B&W but Lucas got cold feet and decided to no longer make it 'gray zone' for the kids.

Alex

I'm don't really see it. In ROTJ, Vader is constantly playing his son to come to the Dark Side or face death. Telling Luke to kneel down before the Emperor and give up everything is not 'gray zone'.

Anyway, I was more talking about 'the goodies' of Star Wars. Han had to become more clear-cut good. Lucas changed his mind about the character and it shows.

The Vader in SW and TESB is a true believer of the Dark Side, the one in ROTJ acts like he has no choice, he is being forced by Palpatine.

I noticed the difference the first time i saw ROTJ.

Already in that film he is becoming the tragic figure of the prequels

Well, he ultimately had to become good at the end of the trilogy. The one percent good in Vader, which I did not know he had, apparently never died and took the upper hand. Vader wanted to tempt Luke to join the Dark Side but ultimately it was Luke who brought Vader back to his senses.

So yes, the good had to be more clear-cut good and the bad, well, the bad never existed. Let's celebrate!

images_zps4isngoqc.jpg

Yet he made Vader a "grey" character.

Fifty Shades of Vader?

Alright, here's the list of things that don't bode well for Star Wars: The Force Awakens:

1) Trees, trees and more trees

Alexandre

dagobah.jpgYavin-IV-ground.jpg

Alright, here's the list of things that don't bode well for Star Wars: The Force Awakens:

1) Trees, trees and more trees

Alexandre

But JW has written some of his most beautiful music for trees!

For me , Endor is the locale that looks the least alien in all the films

Not only that, it's also one of the main, most important settings of the movie. In Star Wars, the impenetrable jungle with its ancient buildings is just one short shot taken from a far and it looks vastly less cheap and ordinary than the trees of ROTJ or Stargate SG-1. I never had the feeling that Star Wars was filmed in a park around the corner. Needless to say that the spooky swamp of Yoda with its strange shapes and creatures is very alien looking.

Alexandre

This time the scenes of Tatooine were destroyed by an overdose of silly creatures.

General atmosphere Star Wars Tatooine:

two-suns-tatooine-star-wars_zps1ezflxyh.

General atmosphere Return Of The Jedi Tatooine:

tumblr_lm7g8x2sfz1qc823io1_500_zpspuqqlf

See the difference?

Nah, both Star Wars and ROTJ showed Tatooine as the home of the aliens in that universe. We had the cantina and Jabba's palace.

Of course, the key difference is that the cantina spent about ten minutes with aliens as background characters, while ROTJ spent what seemed like an hour in their company with them as major players in the story -- using Muppets as some aliens instead of just people in suits like SW -- before taking them all out on a road trip to that giant mouth hole to their fiery death.

Star Wars had been spared more Muppet involvement by its limited budget and technology, fortunately.

Me too. Left if behind in the static caravan after being on holiday in Devon and was gutted.

That explains a lot of your wretchedness, actually. ;)

Karol